The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew Must Show He’s Good Enough To Be Magpies Manager

9:25 am, Saturday, January 26th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

Alan Pardew gave his press conference for the Aston Villa game yesterday afternoon, and as usual he was upbeat and buoyed by Newcastle’s new signings, and the manager said the new arrivals this week have already lifted the spirits at Newcastle.

alan pardew - oh no

Even Alan Pardew couldn’t watch last Saturday

So we have forgotten the terrible sinking feeling we all had when we were beaten by Reading last Saturday – a team that had not won away from home all season – and it turns out had not scored a goal in the second half away from home all season either.

But Newcastle were so scared and lacking in confidence in that second half,  that we leaked two goals in seven minutes, after Pardew had replaced the very bright Sylvian Marveaux with the very defensive James Perch after 64 minutes, and Reading knew Newcastle were trying to hold on to a slim 1-0 lead.

But you very rarely win when you try to hang onto a lead – and at home to – and sure enough we lost our 10th game in 13 league game s- an abysmal record if ever there was one.

But one good thing coming out of that pitiful defeat was Mike Ashley’s drive to keep Newcastle in the Premier League, and Mike has produced four player in four days this week – to his credit – and now Alan Pardew must show that he is a good manager who wants to play good football.

But most of all Alan Pardew now has to produce some wins – quickly – with a much strengthened squad and five new players, all French have been brought in this month – and three of them are full Internationals.

With so many players now French – we have 10 French players in the first team squad - Alan was asked if he was bothered by that:

“I don’t care if I’m honest, it doesn’t bother me.” “The most important thing is good players because good players will find a way to be successful.”  “I always do the same – I speak to my French players and say I will speak in English and they all need to learn English very quickly for their education and for the team.”

“We talk in English on the pitch. French dialogue can go on among themselves, but they have to understand English and understand me. One or two of them are a bit limited and need to practice.”

“It’s something we’ve had success with and, if you’ve had success, that influences French players who want to find a footing in the Premier League and a new challenge.”  “We are a good club for them because we have so many Frenchmen and that obviously makes it easier to settle. That probably swayed Mapou”

” Graham Carr doesn’t speak a word of French, so it’s amazing he’s done so well there. We have very good contacts in France and I think that’s the main reason these transfers have come about. The most important thing is good players and we think the French market is a good market.”

For the record Newcastle have now signed  Mathieu Debuchy, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa,   Massadio Haïdara,  Yoan Gouffran and Moussa Sissoko this month – all for around £18M – and the squad is now much stronger than it was in December.

Aston Villa were beaten 2-1 by Milwall at the Den last night, and they have gone out of both the Carling Cup and FA Cup by lower league sides – and they seem there for the taking on Tuesday night at Villa Park.

How Newcastle play in that game will tell us if we can get away form the relegation zone quickly – we hope we can – but if Alan Pardew struggles with the new recruits he has – we don’t think Mr. Ashley will let Newcastle take the drop without trying something else – like a new manager.

And Newcastle are the only side in the Premier League who have not won away from home -so it’s  time to fix that one on Tuesday night.

We hope Alan Pardew shows what he’s made of – and that our lads come out fighting and play some great football on Tuesday night.

A win would be fantastic and add to the growing optimism the new signings have brought to Newcastle’s fans over the last four days – after last Saturday’s disaster.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa · Massadio Haidara · Mathieu Debuchy · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Yoan Gouffran

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 Puppet Pardew // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Hi Fans, have I been busy this week…? NOT ‘ALF!!

Well once I discovered more about France; its spaghetti, the Black Forest, the Gondoliers and the glorious Parthenon, I knew that its footballers must be equally as cultured as what I am. So armed with my TSB chequebook and a cracked copy of FIF13 (the A is where the crack is), I began signing ‘em up single handed.

And now you can see the results, on paper we can beat anyone on our day. So I have applied to the Premier League to have all remaining fixtures decided by committee on this ‘on paper’ basis. It saves me having to learn le French, or more importantly how to keep le futbol on le deck long enough to score goals.

Alas, I doubt I will have a reply before the Villa game, so I will have to do it the old fashioned way. I see Villa have lost 2 cup games in 4 days now, which is very encouraging until you see it was to Millwall and Bradford – which are both top teams in my book – so please don’t expect too much on Tuesday.

Whisper it – I’m going to play Shola on the right and Fergie on the left until half time, then pack the midfield with youngsters to hang onto a 0-0 – but don’t tell the opposition (it’s all very cloaky and daggery these days) ’cause they will be expecting a full Gallic onslaught and this will confuse them no end.

You know, I never discovered where Aston Villa is on a map, exactly. As a VIP I just get off the coach, wave to my admirers, sign autographs and am ushered inside the ground. I know it’s oop North somewhere, so can’t be too far away from Noocarsel, so I expect thousands of my loyal fans to be once again rooting for their platinum haired saviour. Oh I just love that pic of me on the banner of this site, and I’m sure you all do too…

Must fly mess cherries,

PP (aka Beau Geste de Byker)

• 2 hatem786 // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM

TOON TOON TOON TOON

• 3 Dannyo // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM

There’s no doubt about this one Ed. AP has no excuses.

• 4 Grafton83 // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Absolutly no excuses and nowhere to hide now. Pardew has got one last chance to shine I sincerly hope he takes it. I think the whole squad, fans, coaches, everyone is on a high after the week we’ve had so we should be able to smash in at least 3 goals and keep a clean sheet.

I will be pi$$ed if we lose or draw trying to protect a 1 goal lead again

• 5 wartongeordie // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Now is the time to get behind the club and appreciate the fact we have signed some real quality players with pace which we have sadly lacked , give Pardew a chance

• 6 hdavid23 // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM

i hope we beat Villa, but that’s not the game I care about the most… it’s Chelsea… hope we beat the sh*t outta them

• 7 Grafton83 // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I still worry that no one can cross the ball although I’ve never seen any of our newest recruits play yet.

• 8 Ian Toon // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM

The Hard Tackle and Paul Holland is constantly used for material (sic)
    by the anti Pardew out brigade. The regurgitation of other people’s material . Unfortunately, for every quality When Saturday Comes article there are countless garbage missives from people like Holland. He often enters into the world of high finance and football but is equally clueless. The toon are focusing on the Villa game whilst he still sees a story in promoting thoughts of Pardew’s demise.

• 9 Grafton83 // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Perhaps we will play like Barca and simply pass the ball into the net, also similar to the way the French used to do it at Arsenal in their unbeatable season

• 10 Bambams // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I genuinely think we have done extremely well here in the market.

The pressure will be more on Maps (Mapou) rather than Sissoko, you cant afford to drop a clanger at the back but midfield is not as risky- i am sure you know what i mean.

Anyway i think ‘Maps’ will be a very good defender, he has pace which is what is needed.

Cannot expect another signing……But you never know, time will tell !

• 11 geordiefromthemidlands // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Mo mo mo he’s magic, you knooooooow.
    Your neva beating Sissokho!!

• 12 sirtoongospel // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Give the man a chance. Him and the players performed miracles last season, weren’t supported and this season he has had donuts playing for us at times. The bench has been embarrassing every game.

Now we need to start afresh, as he has options and competition for places. But for Christ sake can we please support the manager, his staff and the players? We make SJP a frightening place to do when we do.

I for one am behind him, as long as he doesn’t play shola right wing!!

• 13 magpie6699 // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Morning all. Woke up thinking I had to check the web in case I dreamt all of this.
    A couple of points:
    1. We can’t expect all our new players to hit the ground running in the PL – maybe one or two. We were lucky with Cabs and Mr.T but I think Debuchy is still feeling his way (Oo Err Mrs!)
    2. The Colo letter to SL – I think there are some doubts being raised about its validity.

• 14 olivant // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I do hope that we go on and win some games now. We have the squad, and now Pardew must show he is up to the challenge

• 15 hatem786 // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Coloccini penned a lengthy open letter to fans of San Lorenzo in which he claimed he was homesick and thanked the club for trying to sign him.

“To my San Lorencista family,” the letter read.

“I write these lines from a long way away where I am missing my country, my family and my close ones. And with sadness of knowing that after a series of meetings held here in Newcastle that my return to Argentina has been momentarily suspended.

“Unfortunately, life does not always end up like you wanted it or needed it to, many times is it influenced by third parties and the rigidities of contracts that are stronger than the will of one’s own desires.

“However, I am convinced that this moment of disappointment need not be an obstacle for me to declare my profound gratitude to each and every one of you for the affection and the support that you all have provided me during these past few months, in every way imaginable.

“Furthermore, I wish to acknowledge the patience and the respect of the media and the serious manner in which they conducted everything during this time for me and my family.

“I am sure that they have understood the personal situation that I have been going through and can comprehend that the silence maintained for both me and my representative, Marcelo Lombilla, during this time, has not been capricious but due to the need to keep private certain matters.

“Lastly, I wish to thank the authorities at San Lorenzo del Almagro and especially show my gratitude to the president, Dr Matias Lammens and vice president, Mr Marcelo Tinelli, for all the affection, support and understanding they have afforded me and who from the first moment, without any reservations or conditions, were interested in my personal and family situation and who put themselves at my disposal.

“Essentially, I want to thank the enormous effort made by them, from every point of view, to remove whatever difficulties I may have come in touch with.

“In these times, in which the leadership of the Argentine football appears less challenged by various reasons, it is with deep pride – as part of the San Lorenzo family- I wish to acknowledge to Matias Lammens and Marcelo Tinelli on their personal qualities, for their professional qualities and for their excellent management, their the honest work, their seriousness and commitment in placing the human being over and above other interests, all of which is a heading from the chosen path for our club; and that in the distance, certainly, I am filled with satisfaction.

“Sincerely thank you for affection, Fabricio Coloccini.”

• 16 Hatem's better than Messi // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:47 AM

He had his chance to show he was a good manager and has failed.
    Anyone can manage a team full of quality players.
    A really good manager can get a team to win when the stars are missing.

We’ve been shite … So is Pardew.

Looks like we’re stuck with him.

• 17 olivant // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I see the odds grow in our favor now against villa. They are better today than yesturday.
    Like magpie6699 says, all of the new signings cant be expected to make an impact right away. I think Sissoko and maybe Yanga-Mbiwa will start the game vs villa

• 18 Ian Toon // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM

We saw in the first half of a season just about everything that could go wrong did, were now anticipating the polar opposite. The Toon have always perceived attack as the best form of defence and we have the players to show strength and resilience. There can be no excuses we need to start winning football matches.

• 19 Bambams // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM

We need to attack more…Simple.Score more goals than opposition will win you games, clean sheets may only get you a draw.

I wonder if there is something in Larent Blanc if Pards does not improve the results with these new players ? Just a thought and no i am not shouting to sack Pardieu !

• 20 Hatem's better than Messi // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM

They love you so much Colo your Argentine millionaires couldn’t find 7M beween them to buy your contract.

The whole San Lorenzo situation has been unreal. Cheeky barstewards.

• 21 Grafton83 // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM

The fact that San Lorenzos official club website is a facebook page where any idiot can upload nonsense says it all about the validity of this letter. I’m suprised anyone has given it enough credibility to deem it worthy of a news report.

• 22 Ian Toon // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Hatem- So he was only masquerading as a good. Manager last season then?

• 23 olivant // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM

It has been so long since I saw a convincing NUFC win, that I have forgotten what it feels like. Agreed with Ian Toon, we must win some games

• 24 tooninspain // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Hatem….so you obviously agree with Fat Sam when he says he could manage Real Madrid or Barca? And you believe Joe Kinnear could manage Man City or Manure? You’re either having a laugh, or you’re out of your tiny mind.

• 25 sirtoongospel // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:55 AM

F*** off man. We have had a team of shit for months. When you have Willo and Simmo every game and have the likes of Shola, Sammy, Fergie and to an extent Obertan having major roles to play, then it’s a struggle at best. It’s like playing 7 v 11 and that’s what we have done. Individual errors have cost us games time and time again. You all talk about top managers, but the truth is if they had this squad they would quit. We are in a better position now and I expect the manager to prove he is the man for the job.

• 26 Ian Toon // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Alan Depardieu is the manager!!

• 27 Rotonda heights // Jan 26, 2013 at 9:59 AM

This is the big question Ed. Can’t help thinking Pardew would have preferred the likes of Tomkinson over M’Biwa and a Carlton Cole over a Gouffran as in shades of Tevez and Mascherano being dropped in favour of Harewood and Mullins.

Ashley and Carr obviously like the French model, I’m not so sure Pardew does. Despite his words to the the contrary, Pardew is certainly not a winner. Ian and the pro- Pardew group will still make endless apologies and excuses for him in the face of a largely unremarkable record and equally uninspiring CV to match.

Taking Charlton from the premiership to the bottom 3 of the championship before being fired is a bit special. 2.5 good seasons over a 10+ year career with no trophies (Johnson Painter aside) does not a summer and swallow make.

These signings that no one can not be excited about should buffer us to safety. Is pardew the man to take us to another level with all the newly assembled pool of talent? History would suggest otherwise. Maybe the best signing is yet to come….

• 28 gwnufc // Jan 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Does anybody else think we should try
    santon in the right wing. Pards should try the following
    krul
    debuchy-colo-maps/saylor-haidara
    santon-sisso-anita-jonas
    cabaye
    cisse

any thoughts on this?

• 29 numba9 // Jan 26, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I rather we go 4 3 3 . Sissoko cabs Anita . Hba CISse gouffy

• 30 stuart no9 // Jan 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM

tuesday is such a massive game for both clubs. i dont think we are going to see an open game , i think both teams will be tight and very nervous . this game could be the last for either pardew or lambert. on wednesday 1 of them may not have a job.
    after watching villa last night, if we attack them with confidence – we will win , no doubt about it.

• 31 Monument Mal // Jan 26, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Ian Toon: Masquerading as a good manager last season is exactly what Pardew was doing. We all know that we rode our luck and won more than a few games we should have lost. Pardew is doing what he always does, has a relatively successful season and then falls away, usually culminating in him being shown the door. Unfortunately he began believing his own publicity. The man never has and never will be a top manager, his record proves it…..fact.

• 32 ronjohno // Jan 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Whilst he obviously has to be given a chance to override his usual pathetic excuses – where everybody is wrong but him- I will be amazed if he can show any managerial nous. Any upturn will be in spite of him not because of him.
    He is still talking about Shola for gods sake!!!
    Hope I am wrong – time will tell.

previous post: Newcastle Target To Remain In France Until The Summer