The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Frenchman – My Objective To Join Massive Club Now Realized

10:28 am, Monday, January 28th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 30 Comments

One of the attributes of new signing Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa is that he’s a born leader, and his leadership of Montpelier was one of the reasons they won the French League for the very first time last season, and we think this lad can become a fantastic signing for our club – and at only 23 – he’s a potential future Newcastle captain.

mapou yanga-mbiwa 91

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – in training at Newcastle

Alan Pardew has already talked about this lad’s leadership skills, and those have not been seen too much in the Newcastle side over the last three months or so.

The former Montpelier captain has talked in the local press today – and this is what he said when asked if he would take him  time to adapt to the Premier League:

“The Premier League and the French League are two very different leagues. It is quite logical that at the beginning you have to adapt.” “But I’ve followed the league and the teams in the last few years and learned as much I could. I will be able to anticipate what will happen in games.”

“I am confident we will settle in quickly and adapt.” “My best position is central defense.”  ” If they want me to help out in other positions I can.” “One of my objectives was to come to a massive Premier League club. Newcastle is that club now.”

“I hope that can also help me develop in the French team. It is great that there are players at Newcastle who are playing at the top level in France.”  “The hard work starts straight away.” ” We must climb the table quickly then look at other targets for the future.”

Pardew has already warned all five new players that they will not have the luxury of a bedding in process over the next few months – given Newcastle’s precarious position in the league table – and Pardew expects them to settle in very quickly and start producing.

One decision Alan Pardew will have to make tomorrow is whether to start Yanga-Mbiwa  in central defense - or use the more experienced Steven Taylor alongside Fabricio Coloccini – and we think Steven could get the nod tomorrow night.

In fact it will be very interesting to see what the Newcastle side is tomorrow - and maybe new striker Yoan Gouffran has the best chance to start the game alongside Papiss Cisse up front – and most of the new signings will be on the bench - to get acclimatized to the Premier League – but quickly.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa · Newcastle News · Premier League

30 responses so far ↓

• 1 Dannyo // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:32 AM

@tads
    Aye, that’s a good point. I just don’t see AP giving Saylor the gutpunch. AP has gone on and on about Saylor and Cabaye returning, and if he then proceeds to field Mbiwa ahead of Saylor i think the lad will be absolutely gutted.
    It’s not over for the lad, but i think Saylor is burning to contribute.

• 2 Dannyo // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM

@rainrix
    Massive error by me leaving Marveux out. And you are probably right. Leave Obertan or Sammy out of the bench, but Gouffran there and field Marveux in his place.
    I felt I missed someone. I didn’t notice though due to our huge squad, lol :P

• 3 rainrix // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I love this bromance pic :)

• 4 Wayayman // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I think our CD pairing for next season should/will be Saylor and Yanga-Mbiwa, regardless of who we bring in over the summer to replace Colo.

• 5 rainrix // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Dannyo…. Ha I though something was wrong when you didn’t even have him on your bench :) . I though either you had a willo level of hate for him or you simply forgot ;)

• 6 Transfer Sage // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:39 AM

wayaman

If its the clubs official facebook and twitter which was used only club officials will have the passwords to access and post on it. Therefore it is safe to assume it has come from the club.

If it hadn’t come from the club they could have just deleted it.

Also colo doesn’t have to deny anything true, but he has remained silent during this whole period which hasn’t helped any speculation, he should really deny this sort of thing if its not true as its more than just rumour, somebody is forging his signature which is a criminal offense.

I hope Pardew is asked about it in a press conference today so we know if colo really wrote it or not.

• 7 Dannyo // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM

@Rainrix
    Hehe, either way, there’ll be no room for excuses by AP tomorrow whatever team we should field. Several new options now. We could be fielding quite a different team compared to early season.

• 8 Transfer Sage // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM

wayaman

I wouldn’t rely on saylor…..the most game he has played over the past 5 seasons is 14….can’t build a partnership when somebody plays less that half the games.

• 9 sticklebricks // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:41 AM

4-2-3-1 seems to be the formation that Pardew has hit heart set on now.

The only new signing I can see starting is Sissoko.

Pretty sure Pards will go for:

Debuchy-Saylor-Colo-Santon
    ——Anita—Sissoko—–
    -Marveaux–Cabaye—Jonas-
    ———–Cisse———-

Mbiwa, Williamson, Perch, Obertan, Shola, Gouffran

I’m worried he will persist with Willo at CB aswell if I’m honest and the fans are going to turn on his massively if he does and we don’t get a result.

Personally I would be lining up as follows:

Santon-Saylor-Colo-Mbiwa-
    ———–Anita———
    —-Sissoko—–Cabaye—
    ———-Marveaux——-
    ——Cisse——Jonas—

I think Jonas has been worrying all season about his positioning with Santon bombing forward all the time. Would be nice to see him given one final chance in a more natural attacking role for him, also alot easier to take him off and bring Gouffran on if Jonas is struggling..

• 10 toonfield // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Ts – that’s a good stat on Taylor, great player but too injury prone, hopefully we will get a mirin , laser weld or sakho in the summer if cools off

• 11 jayphoto // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM

With villa’s defence record against crosses and corners id actually like to see steve taylor play on tues! Personally would love to see yanga-mbiwa beside him as that would deal with bentekes aerial threat and agbonlahors pace! Colos heads obv elsewhere, give him a week or 2 weeks off’ his form has been patchy anyway!
    I see a lot of ligue 1 and yanga-mbiwa is absolute different class, he has absolutely everything,

• 12 toonfield // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM

*alderweld

• 13 rainrix // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Dannyo… Yup no excuses, although this is the 1st match I’ve actually looked forward too in a long time.

• 14 toonfield // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM

*colos ( bloody spell checker)

• 15 Wayayman // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Saylor has really only played 14 games max in a season for 5 years? Wow, that’s shocking. I knew he was injury prone but that’s almost Marcellino-esque. ;-)

Re Colo denying the rumors; Maybe (as I posted earlier) it’s something he’s embarrassed by. His missus might have been cheating on him, or she might have had a breakdown, or anything else that could lead to a bloke not thinking straight and not wanting it to be public knowledge.
    Or yes, the rumours might be right and he might have also written the letter. It’s just not sitting right with me though, and i’ve watched a lot of Columbo over the years.

…Just one more thing… ;-)

• 16 corkypants85 // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Taylor will last 5-7 games and then get injured for 3 months we need a ever present so we dont panic like fook everytime they go down!

• 17 Transfer Sage // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I want to see mbiwa and sissoko…after that not bothered who starts the game.

I think the buzz around the team and our fans will be amazing tomorrow night. Even the likes of jonas playing will be given a much needed boost and I see us running out winners.

If we can take 3 points back to SJP the game against chelsea will be intense.

• 18 croftus5678 // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:51 AM

mine for tomoz is

———————krul———————-
    debuchy—-mbiwa-collo—–santon-
    ————anita———-sissoko———
    ——————-cabaye——————-
    ——————-marv———————-
    ———goffran——-cisse—————

let the wingbacks be our wingers with anita and sissoko covering for them

will give us 6 defensive type players and 8 offensive type players

• 19 Transfer Sage // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:53 AM

wayaman

I agree its not a definite either way.

I dont want colo to come out and this is the exact problem….Just a short statement to say he is undergoing personal problems and he thanks us for our continued support in such matters.

Or even just to come out and say…I did not write that letter….even happy for pardew to say it.

• 20 jayphoto // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Think alot of ppl are going to be surprised by sissoko! Hes not this crazy yaya toure on steroids that youtube makes him look like, hes still very raw and alot of him is potential, out of all our signings he may take the longest to adapt and become first XI.
    Dont get me wrong, hes got fantastic potential and on his day hes amazing (as youtube will testify) but he is quite inconsistent, for toulouse he was 9/10 one game then 5/10 the next! Capoue was the week in week out stand out! Sissoko can become a world star but it might not be the instant impact some ppl predict

• 21 toonfield // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I think Taylor would be best kept on the bench and given a run out second half. Would hate to see him injured again by rushing him back too quickly. We need the three quality centre backs we have to stay fit for the rest of the season.

• 22 Transfer Sage // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:57 AM

jay

I get where you are coming from…i just think he is the type of player we have been missing from the mdifield…somebody who can drive with the balll.

Even if he makes mistakes that is the key player for me….we lack drive and somebody to carry the ball from the center of the park

• 23 tequilamag // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM

TS Saylor has had injury problems over the last 3 seasons the 2 before that he played 27 and 31 games. He has been unlucky with injuries but they have all been different injuries rather than the same injury reoccurring which was the problem with Woodgate, A fit Taylor would be in the side ahead of Willo every time and he has been a big miss for us this season. I am really happy he is fit again and still think he has the ability to be a first 11 pick. Long term I think Colo will be off and Willo lacks the ability to be more than a squad player so on that basis Saylor still hasv a big part to play for us. Not to say we that we still need another CH in the Summer.

• 24 jayphoto // Jan 28, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Also cant wait to see how Gouffran adapts! His top form for bordeaux has come playing upfront by himself, hes always looked a bit lost pn the wing! Alot of ppl say he found his level in france but i think he’ll enjoy the space hel get behind defences in england, in ligue one it is harder to score goals for pacey strikers as defences just sit! Think he will become more important than people realise, he would have cost 8-10m if hed been in contract longer!

• 25 Joe1987 // Jan 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Sticklebricks….thank god u r not th manager mind. Still playin Jonas, Mbiwa at left back at santon right back?? Jonas is past it, he’s been terrible this season and u say he’ll b better in a more attacking role, he’s never put a decent ball in all season. And why play santon at rb for th 1st time this season when we’ve just bought Debuchy?? Ur line up scares me!!

• 26 ArtyH // Jan 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Mbiwa must start with Colo. He has been playing regularly when Saylor has not and is not up to speed. If Mbiwa is not having a good game sub him for Saylor, simples.

• 27 AmericanGeordie // Jan 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM

@ Sticklebricks #9.

I’ve been saying for a while, but it’s truer now than ever: IF Jonas starts for this club it MUST be as a holding midfielder in a 4-2-3-1.

Something like this:
    Krul
    Debuchy-M’Biwa-Colo-Santon
    Anita-Jonas
    Marveaux-Cabaye-Obertan
    Cisse

(I honestly haven’t seen Sissoko or enough of Gouffran to say where they would fit best into that line up.)

• 28 Graeme // Jan 28, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Saylor isnt match fit, Mbiwa is.

Saylor hasnt played for months, Mbiwa played last week

Its Mbiwa all day for me.

• 29 Crawfordladd17 // Jan 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Thinkmfor a very long time it wikl be a hard to pick to partner colo in cb with new signing M’Bwia andfit again steven Taylor, also Sissoko in midfield with either anita and cabaye forward or cabaye and sissoko with marveaux forward only wingers and strikers we are short, but maybe we can bring in a striker now, and another in the summer along with a winger

• 30 jessy-james // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Mbiwa is a real good player but i have to tell you that he has some trouble of aggressiveness sometimes ! With many matches of suspensions

previous post: Two Major Goals For Magpies Through The End Of The Season