The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Two Major Goals For Magpies Through The End Of The Season

10:06 am, Monday, January 28th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 22 Comments

Newcastle’s quest for Premier League survival starts tomorrow night at Villa Park, and we have 15 games to pick up enough points to avoid relegation, and while the club have done fantastically well to get five good players through the door this month – the proof of the pudding is in the eating – and in this case in the results.

mapou tanga-mbiwa 97

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – this lad can help us survive

Newcastle must stop playing like losers – and when we get into a winning position – like against Reading – who hadn’t won away from home all season, and had never scored an away goal in the second half all season – we did the unthinkable and gave away two stupid goals in the second half – and found another way to lose a game.

I’m not trying to be cynical (well not too much) – but when teams continue to lose games they tend to get a losing mentality – and that’s what Newcastle have at the moment.

That has to be broken of course – and confidence is a huge thing - and a win or two early on in this home stretch - will give the players and the manager confidence that we can indeed survive in the league this season.

The very first goal has to be to stay in the Premier League – and if we can do that we’ll be happy enough,  because our squad for next season will be much better than at the beginning of this season, and we’ll not have any European competition  - well we assume we wont - unless we win the Europa League.

There’s a thought. :D.

The second goal is that we need to finish as high in the table as possible, and a top 10 position would be great – given the results of the last three months.

I wont repeat the results –  but  it’s one of the worst runs of a Newcastle side ever in the Premier League, and suffice to say our 21 points after 23 games is the lowest total ever by a Newcastle side in the Premier League after 23 games played.

The new recruits will help turn things around - so we are optimistic we can save our season and survive – anything past that is a bonus at this point.

What do you think?

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours

22 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ben3arfa // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Would be great if we targeted Europa league and staying in the league

• 2 JAMSHA // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM

CANT WAIT FOR THE MATCH TOMORO….:-(

• 3 Transfer Sage // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I think we are lucky our bad year us happening when a lot of teams beat each other and quality is similar across a lot of teams which means the league hasn’t spread as much as normal.

Also the teams below us are quite poor and I can’t see it taking more than 36 points to stay up this year.

I think we will be fine and finish the season on something like 47 points.

• 4 rainrix // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:16 AM

EUROPA LEAGUE VICTORY!!!!!! THE ONLY TRUE AIM!!

• 5 Wayayman // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM

The one and only goal is to stay up. I don’t personally care if we are 4th bottom or 4th top this season, as long as we stay up. We’re in a precarious position and tomorrow night will be a great chance for a new start. Only thing is, Villa should be fired up too. It’s an enormous game for them as well.

And from the last post regarding that Colo ‘letter’.
    1. It was posted only on the clubs Facebook page. Anyone could have done that.
    2. A poster on this forum (who is a spanish teacher I believe?) said this weekend that the way it was written was too ‘flowery’ and not consistent with the way it should have been written.
    3. The signature is NOTHING like Colo’s real signature.

Should we really believe that famous people have to deny everything that is written about them just to satisfy the public? Colo would be a busy man these days if that was the case!

• 6 sirtoongospel // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:19 AM

TS I agree. 38 points will be safe for sure. No way will the teams below win the games to get to 40. We basically need 5 wins. Lets start tomorrow night and put a nail in Villa’s coffin.

The losing mentality is a fair point, but we have 5 new players, plus Cabaye and Saylor who definitely won’t play that way.

So 7 players plus HBA to return who is a winner.

We have born leaders now in Mapou and Sissoko. I pray they both start tomorrow. And I know Papiss is in a good frame of mind. One win and that losing mentality will be a forgotten entity. Gonna be nervous tomorrow though!

• 7 bosamuelson // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:21 AM

• 8 Dannyo // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I’m pissing myself with excitement. Hopefully we’ll get to see atleast 3 of the new players in action.
    I’m realistically expecting this as a STARTING lineup:

(4-3-3)
    Krul
    Debuchy – Saylor – Colo – Santon
    Cabaye – Anita – Sissoko
    Gouffran – Cisse – Gutti

Subs: Harper, Haidara, Mbiwa, Obertan, Shola, Sammy, Perch

Think I’m too far off? That’s not my starting XI though, i think that’s what Pardew will put out.

• 9 Wayayman // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM

In case anyone missed it, yesterday a blogger posted that he’d met Rob Elliot at a cricket training session (Elliot is a keen cricketer) and he had told him that Yanga-Mbiwa was unreal in training, powerful and had tons of skill too.

I’m really looking forward to seeing him and Sissoko in our new ‘spine’

• 10 corkypants85 // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Thanks for the confirmation what i was tryin to say Wayayman like i said inocent untill proven guilty!

• 11 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Dannyo
    We’ve just paid £7-8 mil for mbiwa reckon he’ll be the first name on the team sheet for the rest of the season
    Taylor has just come back from a long term injury benteke will shred him if he starts imo
    However i can still see taylor starting funnily but for colo, he needs a game to step out of the media attention make it about the toon again not about colo

• 12 rainrix // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Dannyo… I’d expect and hope that mbiwa would start in place of willo. Sissoko will probably start as well, as for gouffran well marvs been in good form recently it’d be unfair to drop him. If anything jonas should be drop and marv and goufrann should be wingers. Although as always i doubt pards will drop jonas.

• 13 Toon-Prodigy // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM

33Toon-Prodigy // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Alreet Transfer,

Whats concerning me is the difference in leagues I think.

Its a bit of a jump in class. He is unproven in this league and seems a bit of a gamble with his inexperience. My thinking on the topic is I don’t want us to leave anything down to a gamble. Amd maybe im being leniant on the lad but asking a bit much straight off the bat. By the time this window closes i don’t want to see us found wanting or ruing anything.

This window has to be right in every way for the sake of our prem status. I would definetley feel alot more comfortable with a proven premier league centre foward in. Even as I say, a loan deal would do me fine mate.

Im off to sleep mate been working nights. Catch up with you later.

• 14 Dannyo // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:30 AM

@Wayayman
    Oh don’t say that, if my excitement increases now I won’t be able to get any work done until after tomorrows match, lol.

• 15 Wayayman // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Dannyo, if we start like that i’d be gutted to be honest. I love Saylor, but Yanga -Mbiwa is fully match fit and it doesnt make sense to play Saylor instead, especially given his long term injury.

I think we’ll see Yanga-Mbiwa in for Willo, with a midfield of Anita, Sissokho, Cabs (AM) Gouffran (RM) and Guti or Marv LM with Cisse up top.

The speed of Gouffran and Marv with the attacking prowess of Cabs and Sissoko means we can batter Villas inexperienced defence!

• 16 corkypants85 // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM

What score predictions anyone and goalscorers? God im looking forward to tomoz 4-0 newcastle cisse 2 marv and cabs goalscorers!

• 17 toonfield // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:39 AM

3 – 0 gouf cisse cabs

• 18 Nick 69 // Jan 28, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Wayayman – regarding the Colo letter, it couldn’t have been posted by anyone, as it was posted BY the San Lorenzo offical page, it wasn’t someone who posted it on their wall, it was actually posted by them, so could only have been posted by someone who works on the official page. And as far as the signature, I would very much doubt you, or anyone else has seen Colo’s REAL signature, so you cannot say it is nothing like it. I mean do you really think he uses his real actual signature to dish out willy nilly to fans as an autograph? The same signature he would use on legal letters, doucuments or bank cards etc etc? I highly doubt it.

If the letter wasn’t geniune, I think NUFC would have dismissed it, as they know theres a chance it will upset fans and turn them against our captain, in a time that we need everyone pulling in the same direction

• 19 cestriasteve // Jan 28, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Wayayman, that was me about the Rob Elliott comment, I think that is the only big decision Pardew needs to make Yanga or Saylor. Personally I would play Saylor at some point tomorrow. Remember the Saylor charge often gets a Goal Yanga doesnt score many, mind you its not their primary role in the team.

Looking forward to seeing Rob Elliott play cricket at some point next season, mind you he want to stay clear of the social team, we will have him downing 15 pints pre season!!

• 20 rfcready // Jan 28, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Is it Tuesday yet..We got to come out firing on all cylinders go for the throat and don’t let up.Common Newcastle get fired up.

• 21 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jan 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I can still remember that last game of the season game against the Villains in our relegation year?
    Correct if i,m wrong here please, but was,nt it the Villa supporters who had banners on the terraces about our relegation in that year?

Villa will be fired up tomorrow evening and the game won,t be easy, if i,m right we still hav,nt won away in ther league this season? Lets put that right tomorrow evening eh?
    Hit the ground running and not score 0-1 and stop playing after getting the lead! Has happened so many times this year?

Keep the Faith and Howay the Frogs ( Lads )!!

• 22 AmericanGeordie // Jan 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Been saying for a while, but truer now than ever:

If Jonas starts for this club it MUST be as a holding midfielder in a 4-2-3-1. Period.

Something like this:
    Krul
    Debuchy-M’Biwa-Colo-Santon
    Anita-Jonas
    Marveaux-Cabaye-Obertan
    Cisse

(I honestly haven’t seen Sissoko or Gouffran play, so I’m in no position to say where they would fit best into that line up.)

previous post: Pardew Talks About Colo Today – Is Captain Fully Committed?

next post: Frenchman – My Objective To Join Massive Club Now Realized