The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – Sissoko Is A Class Act – Trust Me

4:57 pm, Wednesday, January 30th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 218 Comments

There’s no doubt Moussa Sissoko has made an immediate and positive impact with Newcastle fans – and his performance in the first half last night was simply superb – and if this lad can put in those types of performances for Newcastle through the end of the season, then we should be safe enough from relegation – which is our top priority this season.

moussa sissoko debut aston villa

Moussa Sissoko – in action last night at villa Park

And as we’ve mentioned before,  Alan Pardew is one of Sissoko’s chief admirers and Alan had no hesitation to play him as the attacking central midfielder last night, with Yohan Cabaye playing the defensive role – which is unusual for Yohan – although that didn’t stop the Frenchman scoring another tremendous goal last night – which he created simply out of nothing.

It’s been a great week for Newcastle – following the humiliation of being beaten by Reading a week last Saturday – in our worst result of the season – but that has been followed with maybe our best result in the league this season – with a great 2-1 win over Aston Villa last night – our first away win of the season.

Alan Pardew has come under a lot of pressure for the terrible results of late, and he was naturally delighted with the way things have gone over this last week – with four top French players being signed in four days last week and a monumental away win last night, and this is what he said on nufcTV today:

“I think it’s just been a great few days for us. Derek Llambias and Lee Charnley did well to get the players over the line in time for this game and we played with a fluency in the first half that we’ve not seen for a long while from this team.

“We caused Aston Villa all sorts of problems, controlled the game – and then we conceded perhaps a silly goal just after half-time and we had to show another side – the fight and the grind and the battle that you need in the Premier League at times.

“No wins come easy in this division and we stood up to that. It was a combination of our senior players, our new players and some players that have had to show real application to get this win.”

“Everything that I thought Sissoko might do for this team, he delivered in the first half.” “He ran out of steam in the second half – those French players now know the difference between Ligue 1 and the Premier League.”

“We had to take them all off because the energy was just phenomenal that Aston Villa were showing. Fair play to them, they gave us a real run for our money tonight.” “But we stood firm and Sissoko is a class act, trust me.”

The mood on Tyneside has gone from one of despair and great concern after the Norwich game,  to decidedly upbeat after last night’s terrific win, against a side beneath us in the table.

Now all the lads have to do is put in another 100% all-out performance against Chelsea at St. James’ Park on Saturday – and if we can get something out of that game – then things should remain decidedly upbeat in the Newcastle City center.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Premier League

218 responses so far ↓

• 1 Beattie25 // Jan 30, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Ibiza

No, I won’t go into exile. I have learnt to stomach abuse for my opinions because I am always proved correct.

Mwaha haha hah ahah ah hah ahah haha haha hah haha hah haha

• 2 Barras // Jan 30, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Liverpool have signed Coutinho. I don’t know a great deal about the player, but he seems to be a very flamboyant player who has great ball control.

Is there any news on incoming players for Newcastle United?

It is my view that we are not genuinely interested in signing Bony, I think his agent is just desperately trying to generate interest from us and maybe other clubs as well.

• 3 bollance // Jan 30, 2013 at 4:59 PM

After last night there wont be many who dont believe that statement

• 4 Mancgeordie // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM

So lad’s I have missed anything? Any rumours about a striker coming in?

• 5 davybtoon // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM

can tell you all dummett is getting a new contract

• 6 dubzy // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:04 PM

24 hours from now ive have a date with Jim White……Skysports News transfer dead line day ..#loveit

• 7 Beattie25 // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Still think that yesterday showed how much we need another winger.

We had control, quality in possession and scored 2 good goals, but how many chances did we actually create?

I said it yesterday that if we had a decent LW with movement, pace and creativity we’d have scored 3 or 4 in that first half yesterday. We’d have then been far out of sight.

I don’t hate Jonas but I remember seeing the lads in Orlando 2011 and that was the first game I said ‘he looks shot’, and since then I have not seen sustained quality.

When he was playing poor he would still give 110%. But if you give that much effort for 4 solid years your’e going to burn out. He is on the decline, he knows it, we know it, does Pards?

The decent thing should be done, he needs to be retired to stud rather than shot after burning everything he has.

• 8 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Beattie… Having a bit of arrogance always helps as well :)

• 9 bollance // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Beattie

Knowing what we are capable of acheiving in the transfer market would you sell one of our star players? Take for instance Cabaye. There should be a que of clubs lining up to take him. Lets say he is happy here and believes in the project which is probably a fact. We could arguably get £30m for him. Would you sell knowing that we could pick up another Cabaye and other players? That is the gamble..

Looking at this season the answer is probably fairly clear.

• 10 Wandering Geordie // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:06 PM

When Pardeaux keeps referring to crossing over the line .Is he talking about the Nazca lines here in Southern Peru, for which I have I passed over numerous times.Because I have seen no Toon players at all……

Pezella …Oh I have mentioned him again..He has to be our signing in the Summer

• 11 Blaydon-Toon // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:06 PM

So any striker/winger news or are we officially done ?

• 12 davybtoon // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:06 PM

no after this season next year we need to keep our squad together and try really have a go at the league

• 13 Twatter // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:07 PM

From where I was sitting in the away end, Sissoko did indeed look like a classy player. Seemed to have a robustness on and off the ball which we’ve missed in our midfield most recently, yet a touch of finesse in his passing which we saw in his through ball to Cisse.

People using the Yaya Toure comparisons are perhaps a little premature, but I can certainly see that he possesses some of the qualities of him, just now need him to adapt fully to the speed of the game and cement his position.

In the game yesterday he was the much-needed link between a slow midfield and an otherwise isolated Cisse, and I think this link will be crucial in making full use of Cabaye/Anita in more deep-lying roles for the rest of the season. Early days of course, but it seems like another well thought-out bargain engineered by Carr and the rest of the backroom staff.

• 14 ToonDownSouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:09 PM

bollance

Noooo. I would actually sell any of them except Cabaye.

• 15 bollance // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:09 PM

If guti the greyhound is to be put down he would be turned into horse feed??

He clearly lacks confidence. There is an argument to suggest the role he plays has diminished his playing career. He came to the club as a box to box winger (is there such a thing). He now operates a DML position which he is not too comfortable playing.

• 16 Carl92 // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Anybody agree that Perch was awesome yesterday? He got stuck in and he always times his tackles really well, something Tiote doesn’t do.

• 17 Twatter // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:11 PM

In terms of Gutierrez, despite making it very clear I’m not the biggest fan on numerous occasions on this blog, we’ll have to hope Pardew had planned to play Marveaux but was forced in putting Jonas back in because of the knock he had sustained really late into the course of our pre-match preparations.

If that was the line-up Pardew had fully intended to put onto the pitch without Marveaux’s injury, then I’d be a little worried over what he sees that seemingly no other fan does.

• 18 bollance // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Carl

He took out Weissman several times. He was our enforcer. Good squad player and one i would certainly keep at the club. His passing is also a good attribute. He likes to play direct forward passes which he plays with accuracy.

• 19 keeganjr // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:13 PM

TRUST U??? NO THANX.. NEXT!!!

• 20 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Hoping we’ll be in for Wilfried Bony or Gomis. We can sign Sulejmani, Gomis and Douglas for free in the summer and only pay out to sign Alderweireld and Boudebouz. They’ll cost £11.5m max and then we’ll have the complete squad.

We need to get rid of Gosling, Shola Ameobi, Williamson, Simpson and Tavernier. We’ll get £6m for those players.

• 21 Twatter // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM

@Carl92

Yeah, Perch was good yesterday. I wouldn’t go as far to say “awesome”, but definitely put a shift in. I think Tiote used to be more willing to put a tackle in and succeeded mostly, but his confidence has suffered as of late and being urged to cut down on sliding tackles/yellow cards has actually made him more prone to not getting the timing right.

As any committed defender will tell you, there is a subtle artistry to slide tackling specifically – I think you need to have the confidence of knowing you won’t pick up a yellow card when you go in to make the challenge, whether or not you actually do.

• 22 bollance // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Twatter

Guti has been dropped previously. It was a while ago but the Stoke game when we just loaned HBA. Jonas was dropped but came back fighting.

There could still be life in the old dog yet!

• 23 Beattie25 // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Bollance

Cabaye, certainly not.

I’ve seen in the last 2 games the future captain of NUFC, no value can be put on that.

If I was going to sell I’d sell Colo, Guti and Williamson. I’d bring in a CF, LW and a CB. Then I’d invest in a lot of youth.

We could actually sign a CF, LW and CB for free in the summer. Gomis, Sulamenjani and Douglas.

I’d make Cabaye captain and do everything to keep the other players.

We could seriously challenge with a few additions. No need to sell lots of players and spend lots of money in order to do so.

• 24 wolfshead@toon // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:18 PM

lol beef/jack )

• 25 toonicle // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Sissoko looked great last night, hopefully he will continue to provide great service to Cisse which has been sorely missing.

• 26 Super Magpie // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Twatter
    Is there any news on Marveaux’s injury?
    Yesterday would’ve been a perfect game for him. ( The 1st half anyway).

Everybody knows that Jonas looks exhausted and isn’t half the player he was. I’m not being harsh on Pardew but he has ruined him in my opinion. He should not be starting on his current form. But we only really had Obertan as another winger and he wasn’t in the team yesterday so we didn’t have a choice. I know we had Sammy but I’d rather have Jonas for his work ethic.

• 27 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Ibiza…you are really moving along quickly :-)

…I love that show. I am on season 8 episode 5 or something. Just watched on of the best episodes even!

• 28 Super Magpie // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Beattie and Kets are alter egos. :shock:

• 29 yo-yo // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Someone’s having fun – from Wiki

Wilfried Guemiand Peter Oliver Geoffery Alexander Fredrick Marcus Daniel Michael George Chi Richard Darren Graham Theodor William John Olofinjana Oneywu Odjida-Ofoe Jeremy Kyle Jerry Springer Trisha Goddard Josef Hitler Savile James Phillip David Amar Bony (born 10 December 1988 in Bingerville) is a professional footballer currently signed to Vitesse.

• 30 Beattie25 // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Oh my fcuking god

I’m turning into Kets

• 31 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Ibiza…” The Gang Gets Analyzed”

…Sweet Dee goes to her Psychiatrist. The Psychiatrist is shocked to learn that Dee brings the whole gang along with her, forcing the Doctor to discuss their problems with each of them.

• 32 OhSholaAmeobi // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Is it just me but does pardew say ‘trust me’ all the f’in time?

• 33 Carl92 // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Twatter

Haha fair play maybe ‘Awesome’ was an overstatement. But I think he gets over looked a lot when he breaks up play and distributes the ball well game after game. Good player to have in your midfield. Our midfield seems perfectly balanced with him Cabaye and the big man Sissoko.

• 34 Alan Pas-de-clue // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:25 PM

yo-yo

that may have been me ;)

• 35 donkeypunch // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:26 PM

i feal with the players we have now are formation is going to have to change to a 4 3 3 and as much as i like cisse i feal he is the player that will need to be replaced he is a great goalscorer but doesent offer much after that. Need a player how can hold the ball up and bring others in to play like a lukuta or bony whos got power, pace, strength, ability to finish, great control and good in the air with a ben afa to the right of him and a fast bellamy shane long sort of player to the left of him who going to work the channels and creat assit and pop up with some goals

• 36 AwToonnufc // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I’ve been very happy with our transfer business this window, to really top it off a striker would feel like the team is complete. PEA or bony would be my preference but i’m not expecting any striker so another one would be a bonus.
    I’m more excited for Ben Arfa coming back, Knowing our midfield will consist of Ben Arfa, Sissoko, Cabaye, Marveaux, Anita and Tiote. The balance of creativity and strength in that midfield should make for some exciting football. Ben arfa is also likely to chip in with some goals.

• 37 TorqToon // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Beattie – NEWCASTLE UTD AGREE TERMS ON 5 YEAR DEAL FOR BELHANDA !!!!!

How was that?? Not true but you said I was allowed to lie…!

Has a nice ring to it and is a possibility, albeit a small possibility !

• 38 Ben_BKK // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Anyone else having problems getting on the blog? Every now and then when I try and load a page it comes up with 503 Service Unavailable, and just now it wouldn’t even work at all for a couple of minutes when refreshing.

• 39 Super Magpie // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Our next two games could easily drop us back into the mix. We’ve got a bit of daylight now but with Chelsea and Spurs coming up I think we’ll do well to get more than 1 point out of those two games.
    2 or more points would be a great return.

Demba will probably score on Saturday. Former players always score against us.

• 40 Beattie25 // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Torq

If we have followed the lad for as long as the rumors suggest then perhaps if the deal is £8 million we might just sneak in there.

Saying that I highly doubt the chairman would do business with us, but apparently he doesn’t want to sell to a Turkish club.

Stranger things have happened but I won’t hold out much hope.

I’m having issue with the 503

• 41 TorqToon // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Ben – Yeah same here mate. Not sure if its a connection thing or sheer volume of traffic, having the problem on my iPad.

• 42 TorqToon // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Beattie – Possibly mate!

I felt it might have legs, hence why I mentioned it.

Watch this space…

• 43 JTOONJ // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Super Magpie

N’zogbia didn’t yesterday!

• 44 ToonDownSouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Torq you penis, for a crazy 3 seconds there my mind was spinning with joy.

The 503 thing is just a traffic issue. Ed, I insist you invest your pension in a heavy duty server.

—————-

In other news, if QPR sign Hangelaand and Samba, they will stay up. That defense would gobble up entire buildings.

• 45 veto // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:55 PM

just cause we held onto everyone last window , dont think flogging at least one of them off each year for big profit isnt the end goal … and im fine with that .
    cabaye will be the first one to get snatched away from us this summer , we need to hold out for 20-30 million for him and then go back to france and buy a few replacements .
    its not how as a fan id want the club ran , but dont get to cosy with this team thinking mike hasnt got eyes on doing exactly that

• 46 Super Magpie // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I’m having the same problem with the 503 error.

JTOONJ
    He was unlucky not to! He seemed to up his game though. He’s been gash for them since signing for them.

• 47 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Douglas, Gomis and Sulejmani would be sensible signings in the summer. They are all available for free and we need players in those positions.

We definitely need another striker in though. If Cisse gets injured, we’ll be starting with Shola up front on his own.

• 48 roadfighter // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:56 PM

TDS, the 503 could have been due to Ed making a small update on the poll to add Santon in… ;)

• 49 Ben_BKK // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Torq – I think it must be volume of traffic as you say, the blog obviously can’t keep up after all our signings and then actually winning away ;)

• 50 VANCMAG // Jan 30, 2013 at 5:59 PM

A good win last night but we made hard work of it again

• 51 89Norcal // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Sissoko looked great last night. He’s got the toughness, composure, and conviction we need in midfield. And that pass to Cisse!

I hope Chelsea have another off night though because we need some settling with all these players. If Krul keeps long kicking it from his goal though I’m going to be furious.

• 52 TorqToon // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Sorry TDS – it’s Beattie – he’s a bad influence! :-)

• 53 davybtoon // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:04 PM

If we were to sign bony does anyone know how long it takes to get to Newcastle from South Africa in time to have a medical

• 54 beefman13 // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Awtoon, that midfield quintet have it all, best add jonas in there as pardew will play the bugga whatever, prob 3rd or 4th on pardews team sheet.

• 55 Spuggy // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Not signing anyone else.

• 56 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:06 PM

BKK
    Yup get 503′d a couple of times a day! Having to use the desktop site because the mobile site is fcuked!!!

• 57 geordiefromthemidlands // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Torq you little scamp. I logged back on seen as thou it’s nearly bed time for the scallywags that are bringing the blog into disrepute and whilst scan reading I see the Belhanda post.
    Cue screaming with joy in the living room until I read it properly and. …crestfallen lol

• 58 Tsunki // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Lads I hate to ring the rusty old ITK Alarm bell but something occurred today that has me adding a couple of 2′s together and arriving at 5.

I may be very wrong but either way I will know by about lunchtime tomorrow and will be able to give all the details of why I am saying this, but it’s possible that Senor Coloccini may still be out of the club sooner rather than later. As in possibly a late bid that sees him off by tomorrow night.

I stress that I could be entirely wrong, but in any case you will know why tomorrow.

• 59 Ben_BKK // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:09 PM

TADS – I always use the desktop site anyway, I don’t like the mobile site, especially as on my phone if it’s a long article that gets split into two pages, it doesn’t let me go onto the second page or view the comments (the best bit of the blog :D )

• 60 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Tsunki
    You better be talking about a swap deal for alderwield!

• 61 yo-yo // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:12 PM

503 strikes again

Also nearly fooled by Belhanda post
    Too much nawtiness from Torq.

I think Bony is about 50/50.
    Medical out in South Africa. Photo shoot holding up the shirt.
    But how to play him with Cisse ? Hmmm

• 62 SupaToonKid // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I knew Sissoko would be good but I did not expect a man of the match performance in his 1st game.

• 63 yo-yo // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Tsunki

Please – no more Willo

• 64 Beattie25 // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:14 PM

So are we not signing Belhanda then?

• 65 Alan Pas-de-clue // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Krul
    Debuchy Mbiwa Colo Santon
    Anita Cabaye Sissoko
    Ben Arfa
    Cisse Bony

Bench: Elliot Taylor Tiote Gutti Marv Gouffran Shola

Pleaseee

• 66 davybtoon // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Watching bony now for Ivory Coast and I’ve got to say I’d rather we go for gomis

• 67 SupaToonKid // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Targets for the summer me thinks: Douglas (to replace Coloccini), Aubamayeng to give us more wing/forward options & Siem de Jong to give us even more attacking options.

• 68 TorqToon // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Valenciennes WILL sell Mirin on the basis that he is loaned back until the summer. Fulham and Lille so far expressed an interest.

• 69 Alan Pas-de-clue // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Regardless of bony or not i still feel we should go to a narrow 4312 or italian 442, with all width from debuchy and santon, this way tiote or anita can cover the fullback

• 70 ONLINE GUY // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Something that needs addressing quickly ,.So ,So important.

The last 15 mins of any game we play seems to bring on panic ..It is frightening to watch it take place ..It always seems to manifest itself around the 75th min …

What happened to keeping possession? ..wasting time, winding the other lot up by playing keep ball …

RUNNING IT INTO THE CORNER’S !<<< Important.

We are humping it out and inviting them to come onto us ..this is bad bad tactics and asking for trouble and panic..

This need's to stop…..Coaching ?

I know its never easy ..but keep possession at all costs ..booting it back is inviting trouble . got to change that tactic now.

• 71 yo-yo // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Torq

£2.5m fee on BBC and Fulham interested in Mirin.

• 72 proudtobageordie // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:26 PM

evening all

reading the posts on here last night during the second half. i was absolutley gobsmacked with the abuse certain players and our manager of the last season got. to say our fans are deluded is a understatement. so people thought with the new signings we have got all we had to do was turn up. it was guarenteed at some point during the game we were going to get pummeled by villa. it was how we dealt with it was the main and to be honest i thought we dealt with it superbly. so hats of to the lads and management last night they were all fantasic. 3 massive points away from home. (our first away win)

• 73 ONLINE GUY // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I think we need a new coach..Love Carver and Stone ..but we need a new coach to freshen things up, ease this panic play we have in the last 15 mins ..

Its happening every game now and has to stop.

We have enough class in our team now for this not to be an issue.

New Coach please ..just as important as a new player. Fresh idea’s and a different focus.

• 74 TorqToon // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Evening proud – it’s been a constant battle with catchy and alf today too mate!! Painful to say the least…!

Although alf soon disappeared after moaning about us playing Mbia in DCM !!! Taxi for alf…! :-)

Any news your end?

• 75 davybtoon // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Think we should sign mirin n loan him back

• 76 remy D // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Well yea you’re w&nk team drew 0-0 you red and white dickhead

• 77 Krul to be Kind // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:30 PM

IMO we won’t sign anymore players, with 5 in (3 internationals)and not on lower wages, and Ba the only leaver i think we may need to trim the wage bill with a clearout in the summer when Xisco finally runs his contract out freeing up 50k pw and a few more, i think there will be another cull in the development squad this summer.

Saying that I don’t think we need anymore this window really, we are well stocked and for a change have options and until some dead wood ships out, no more to come in

I understand we need aanother specialist winger and striker but we are well stoked now with options

• 78 proudtobageordie // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:32 PM

torq
    evening mate. very quiet but strange as i feel the need for a new striker. having shola as our back up. not enough quality in the guy at his ripe old age but usefull all the same

• 79 TorqToon // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Yeah part of me feels we aren’t finished with this window mate…

Wishful thinking or an epiphany? :-)

• 80 Krul to be Kind // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:35 PM

proud

good to see someone who appreciates what shola can bring to the table, hes not as guff as everyone makes out and is useful when used sparingly and when needed, he definitely served a purpose last night, 6’2′ built like a tank and throws himself at everything in the air!

Do i remember rightly when i say that SBR (rest his soul) said he was an absolute world beater in training but struggled to transfer that onto the pitch in games?

• 81 ToonDownSouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I do pray that Cisse stays fit until the end of the season.

Looks like it’ll be Shola in the Europa League, which may well be pretty depressing since we’ve got a really favorable draw.

• 82 89Norcal // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:37 PM

ONLINE
    It didn’t help Krul kept booting it to Villa’s defenders at every opportunity. Till he finally realized he can throw to his teammates in stead and slow the tempo down.

• 83 proudtobageordie // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:37 PM

torq

i think im more concerned we havn’t loaned any of the fringe players out yet. some of them need regular football whether thats in championship or not. hope this happens tomorrow to be honest

• 84 ONLINE GUY // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Torq .

.Have we just signed a Swiss kid for £1 million today ? just a bit of patter I heard earlier…true ?

• 85 Krul to be Kind // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:39 PM

TDS

Matallist – a favourable draw? are you serious!?

for a start you couldnt go any further for a EL tie and secondly have a look at them play…

Favourable? I really don’t think so!

• 86 ONLINE GUY // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Evening Proud .

What’s the word on Bony having a medical ? anyone ?

• 87 Krul to be Kind // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:40 PM

proud

championship and below im pretty sure can loan after the window closes for a short period, i think we will see some activity when the window closes and the madness finishes (i too hope anyway)

• 88 proudtobageordie // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:41 PM

krul

totally agree with you mate. there seems to be quite a few pro’s who do that i think. outstanding in training but can’t replicate it on matchdays. heard jonas is magnifiqe in training lol

• 89 proudtobageordie // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:42 PM

online
    no truth in it at all as far as i know

• 90 proudtobageordie // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:43 PM

krul

yea your right there is a loan window for lower leagues

• 91 Beattie25 // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Online guy

Shola can’t run and Cisse can’t hold up the ball.

We need another Benny, someone who can get the ball and bomb away, win a free kick or even counter.

If that was Man U, City, Arsenal etc… they would have countered.

We lost all shape, fluidity and belief. Down to the manager and personnel.

We need a LW or it’ll be like that for most games we are a goal up with 30 minuets to go.

• 92 ONLINE GUY // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:46 PM

NUFC sign Swiss kid for £1 million ? Cant find any reference to it on line…

• 93 remy D // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:46 PM

And you no nowt so anything is possible on deadline day

• 94 TorqToon // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Online – Yes that’s true. 17yr old Swiss player for our development squad. Kevin Mbabu.

An excellent prospect !

• 95 Alan Pas-de-clue // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM

i think the swiss kid was called mbabo or something?

obertan would have been a good sub to make yesterday, a pace outlet…we are still short of pace in our squad, we need a youngster of the quality of sterling or the ox

• 96 alf // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Pardew needs Sacking for his record, better Managers than this oaf, have been Sacked. This poor excuse for a Manager lurches from one crisis to another. He managed to give Villa hope with his lack of Tactical know-how. Players like Sissoko, Tiote, HBA, Ba and Colocini, realise their career will go nowhere under this chancer and seek a move, yet crap like the Ameobis,Ranger,Williamson Amilfatano,Simpson,Jonas,Elliott and Obertan hang on, as nobody will take them on apart from the Pardew clown!

• 97 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Krul
    Yup mate the lower leagues have a loan window which is open until the end of feb

• 98 ONLINE GUY // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Beattie…

we need an outlet..when under the Cosh ..Im biting my nails here last 15 ..

• 99 ONLINE GUY // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Torq

Just going to check him out , Thankyou .

• 100 Alan Pas-de-clue // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:53 PM

im in the cabaye love zone atm

we need a lam/lw/ss with blistering pace and ideally some flair too…hopefully one that wont be off to afcon every two years, can anyone think of someone that fits the bill?

• 101 Mister Tuff // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:54 PM

remy D -see you have again not pre-warned fellow posters of your impending appearance by posting your “theme song” beforehand. This will allow genuine fans to leave the blog for a short time, to make a cuppa, make a meal, wash the car etc etc. Then when they return you will be long gone and we won’t have to read your gutter talk, insults and other rambling drivel.
    Reminder of the link to your them song:-

• 102 geordiefromthemidlands // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Bony just scored a cracker from 25yrds like

• 103 Beattie25 // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Online Guy

We need something that I think the manager is overlooking.

The importance of a LW was, for me, the most important issue that needed sorting this Jan.

We have strengthened LB, CB, CM and even up front but not that LW.

That is our biggest danger in the last 15.

Not the defensive side, the attacking/creative side of our game.

• 104 ToonDownSouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:56 PM

alf

Please, for your own personal health, stop spending all your time posting on a Newcastle blog.

It’s genuinely embarrassing, you really need to take a look at your life if this is the best way you can spend your time.

• 105 NUFCarter // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Can Pardew get any more up sissokos ass. Lol

Also although I though Gutierrez was dog dhite last night he made a top class goal line block.

• 106 proudtobageordie // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:57 PM

beattie

do you not think that when benny returns thats where goofy will play and i think he will solve the l/w problem?

• 107 Beattie25 // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Alan

There are so many floating around Europe (especially Holland).

Dries Mertens is among the best.

• 108 Spreadthetoon // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Beattie
    Agree we needed an outlet last night but AP was limited…………our bench
    Substitutes: Steve Harper, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, Mike Williamson, Gael Bigirimana, Vurnon Anita, Sammy Ameobi, Shola Ameobi
    So who exactly was gonna be our counter attacking outlet that we desperately needed? No HBA, no Marveaux and no Obertan……….agree Belhanda would be great especially seeing as we have missed out on Florian Thauvin. IMO Belhander and Siem de Jong or RVW would be the finishing touches of personnel we need. If no Belhanda I’d take Jermaine Lens.

• 109 Krul to be Kind // Jan 30, 2013 at 6:59 PM

alf

i see your point…

but youre full or shite!!!

• 110 Alan Pas-de-clue // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:00 PM

if it were up to me i would raid the dutch league XD

mertens, matavz, alderweireld

• 111 Beattie25 // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Proud

No I don’t think Goofy should play LW.

I’d play Marv there but his pace isn’t the best.

Maybe Obertan but he hasn’t got the intelligence.

If we could blend Ober and Marv together we’d be sorted.

• 112 Spreadthetoon // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Proud
    Agree Gouffran will play left when HBA is fit but I’m not sure that is the solution….just a makeshift one IMO. I’d like to see Gouffran play central alongside Cisse or attain another attacking player such as Siem de Jong or RVW

• 113 ToonDownSouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Yes I think it’s a favourable draw – look at who we could have had.

People will walk about the long journey, but they have to make exactly the same trip when they come here.

They haven’t played a competitive game since the start of December, and they’re nowhere near the quality of a large number of the teams we could have drawn.

• 114 Krul to be Kind // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:02 PM

lol @ tiff re remy… very good

• 115 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Tsunkmiester
    IF colo does go, it might just be me, but it would feel like we’re back to square one defensivly unless we managed to pull off a deadline day coup with a top replacement? Couple that with not replacing ba and our great window would suddenly look abit…..well average?

• 116 ONLINE GUY // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Torq

I imagine some of the info you have, you might have to hold back at times, as publishing it on here could alert other club’s, and I know Newspaper rat’s are always sniffing around on here now ..I have seen some quote’s In one tabloid that could only have come from this site. and from a north east based Journo….direct and transparent .. there might have been times when you have held back with info so as not to jeopardize a transfer.. Thank you for giving this Blog some realism and fact . Mum’s the word at time’s though Eh ?

• 117 Beattie25 // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:04 PM

If we got Belhanda we’d have a creative monster of a midfield.

Imagine him and Benny on opposite wings with Moussa in the middle, Cisse would score 40 goals a season.

• 118 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Woo hoo alf and remy D proper little mackem love in on here

• 119 remy D // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Thanks softy haha mug

• 120 aidantoon // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:07 PM

one more striker please.

• 121 Krul to be Kind // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:07 PM

most of the top teams teams where in our side of the draw because they didnt win their group, MK won their group,based in the back arse of nowhere and play a high tempo game, think of a mini donetsk and look at what they done to some top top european teams, will be tough game with the added price of travelling to eastern europe whilst trying to avoid relegation!

• 122 Beattie25 // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:07 PM

If Colo goes tomorrow we need a CB make no bones about it.

Failure to do so could be relegation.

• 123 Spreadthetoon // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I think we should spread “ITK” rumours as a FACT and then see if the national press run with it. Set up bogus twitter accounts and alike and see how many lazy journos there really are……..then pick an unlikely player that we’d sign and see if the papers run with it. That’d be funny as! LOL

• 124 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Beattie
    No bones? Enjoying that pardew phrase book i got ya for christmas ;) !!!!

• 125 remy D // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Ha there’s the hat trick of dickheads on now.what fantastic never going to happen/no one cares bs has the three plums got for us tonight

• 126 JAMSHA // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:12 PM

LETS HOPE THE FOOLS LOOSE NOW….

• 127 Beattie25 // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:12 PM

TADS

Trust me, it’s the best thing you managed to get over the line this Christmas.

• 128 VANCMAG // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:15 PM

@122
    stop being so dramatic we have cover

• 129 JAMSHA // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:17 PM

play gofo along with cisse n marvo in place of jonas….. jonas had enough chances..bt faild…

only thing m woried whos gona b on bench saylor or mbiwa…coz these both are class…

• 130 ToonDownSouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Krul

I honestly think we’ll be OK. Like I said, they have to make the journey here, just as we do there. They won’t have played competitive football in 10 weeks, and if we play a strong team I think we’ll be OK.

They did well in their group, but it was one of the weakest groups in the tournament. Remember we could also have had some of the teams that dropped out of the CL.

Teams from Ukraine and Russia often surprise people, but I have faith in our staff to prepare the team well. Hopefully we’d field our strongest team, since there’s nothing worse than dragging the whole squad to Eastern Europe to have them sit on the bench and watch our kids get beaten.

• 131 Krul to be Kind // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:17 PM

remy d

what are you on son

your mental!

• 132 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Beattie
    I must admit choosing it, well it was a tough period for me, shopping wise we was up against it, unfortunatly me kiddo sprained his ankle, that didn’t help, but we fought hard and i thought we was great battling the que’s and managed to get the book over the line
    I just hope next year i dont have to rely on the youngsters so much, there just not good enough yet

• 133 Beattie25 // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:18 PM

vancmag

Yeah because injury prone Saylor and Brambles brother from another mother Willo are adequate to get us through a relegation battle until May.

• 134 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:20 PM

VANCMAG
    Do we? Who? If colo goes were at square one again with only 3 CB’s thats not being dramatic

• 135 RooneyToons // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Apparently Gouffran maybe called up for France tomorrow…

As Romain Alessandrini, Julien Feret and Franck Tabanou, Yoan Gouffran was préconvoqué by Didier Deschamps for the friendly match against Germany (February 6), announces Team. Recently transferred to Newcastle striker took advantage of his good start to the season with Bordeaux and versatility. Will He be in the 23? Answer tomorrow

• 136 VANCMAG // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:22 PM

@Beattie25
    Saylor is like a new signing so thats two new cb this window

• 137 ToonDownSouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:23 PM

tads

Why do you think Colo’s leaving tomorrow? No chance it’ll happen imo, Pardew and Ashley know full well what the ramifications would be.

• 138 geordiefromthemidlands // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Torq ur a cardiologist- what are the chances of nufc fans being more prone to heart attacks due to stress

• 139 Krul to be Kind // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM

TDS

I would like to see us push on in the EL, but i’m not so sure the club would agree, it was possibly the best chance of silver this season and now it’s our only, thankfully out of our signings i believe Goofy is the only one cup tied which is good news, but when we are at full strength again I don’t think the club will take needless risks with injuries until we are mathematically safe, unfortunately i think he will play the lessers out there and try to win it at home overall in the first game

• 140 Beattie25 // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM

TADS

I had my suspicions for a while but that has confirmed it for me… You are Alan Pardew.

• 141 donkeypunch // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:26 PM

BONY 12 million pros great goalscoring record has everthink you need for a number 9 cons unproven in a top league will lose him to afon GOMIS pros can get him for only a few million at end of season for nothink has played champion league football at the peak of his career cons not the most prolific in front of goal 1 in every 3 games but premier league might suit him better PEA 10-14 million pros very fast winger/forward so would fit into a 4 3 3 formation easily . cons mayby i bit to lightweight for prem league and doesnt set up many assits LUKUTA 15-20 million pros proven pl experince wont lose to afcon only 19 has loads of potentail cons still very rough round the edges

• 142 DanRo // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:27 PM

re: Coloccini situation.
    My info from a reliable source is that he had an extra-martial affair with a girl from Cramlington, who is now pregnant (allegedly, if Mr Coloccini is reading). The girl informed the club and Coloccini’s family. Mrs C is now Argentina and refusing to return.

• 143 Joe Blog // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Remy D is davybtoon.

• 144 ONLINE GUY // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:27 PM

ISP was playing up last hour ..could not find any info on Kevin Mbabu..Just checked him out .

.Described as the Swiss Wonder Kid !

and we just signed him.

• 145 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:27 PM

TDS
    I dont but tsunki said he’s heard that he might, woukdnt be the first team to lose an unsettled player on the last day of the window

• 146 VANCMAG // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:27 PM

@tds
    Exactly no way is he going he has said so himself but because someone has heard something on twitter or from the cleaning lady at the ground its gospel

• 147 Krul to be Kind // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:29 PM

hope youre wrong TADS, but i wouldn’t rule it out

was nice for him to publish his letter to toon fans but i thought there was more to itwhen i read it!

• 148 clinath@ed // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:30 PM

TADS this transfer window has been anything but ‘average’!

• 149 alf // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Krul, if I agreed with you we would both be wrong! Toon down south, we’ve already established your not playing with a full deck, and so you should be dismissed as a crank, along with all the other misguided Pardew believers, who think a failure at Massive clubs like Charlton,Reading etc, can work miracles up here. Get a Grip!

• 150 89Norcal // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:33 PM

alf accusing someone else of not being right in the head?

Hilarious.

• 151 Krul to be Kind // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:35 PM

alf

never in my years have i heard such tripe

what about going back into your box unless youve something constructive to say… you know… the reason you support the club.

Quite simply chap i believe you to be the bi product of an inbred mackem family! ;-)

• 152 Krul to be Kind // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:36 PM

norcal

the irony lol

• 153 Captain Jack // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Good to see Stevie Taylor back last night – that guy wears his heart on his sleeve. Up for the Chelsea game now. Hope Benitez starts with Torres and not Ba – will greatly increase our chances LOL

• 154 89Norcal // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Krul

An inbred mackem family? Is that a double whammy or redundant? :)

alf you seriously need to f#$% off man, no one takes you seriously.

• 155 DanRo // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:39 PM

The forthcoming fixture will present some interesting questions for Pardew.

1) Will he drop Perch, Guitterez?
    2) Mbiwa still on the bench?
    3) Anita back in the team?
    4) What happens if Marveaux is fit?

Just to provoke some debate…

• 156 Mister Tuff // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:40 PM

remyD – whist I posted an image of you on here the the other day, I’m now having doubts as to whether I got it right. I have now managed to obtain a couple of more images -could you please let me know which one is you. After that you can continue supping your cider and not bothering us on the blog.

• 157 BigKirky // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Pardew was saying on Radio Newcastle that had Marveaux not been injured, he’d have played. Well that’s a relief.

Can’t wait for Saturday.

• 158 89Norcal // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM

DanRo

1) Guti will play until Marv is fit. For some reason, Pardew was joking with Guti after the game despite his abysmal performance.

Perch, IMO, was chosen to contend with Benteke up the pitch as he wins alot of longballs. Anita would have had no chance, and it seemed to work very well.

2) I think he should start over Saylor but prob wont unless Saylor gets a knock. I hear he can play fullback too though, Mbiwa LB and Santon LM please!

3) Maybe in a 4-2-3-1, with Tiote. wonder if Sissoko could play in the front 3 over Guti? He’s gifted on the attack.

4) Surely he starts over Guti. See BigKirky’s comment

• 159 alf // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Krul belt up you Tit! Some of the drivel your pushing could be cooked up in a flea-pit in Pennywell. Are you a Rokerite? As you seem to have the same inbred traits, which involve talking Crap!

• 160 Rotonda heights // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM

How many chances could we have done this with ranger.
    Good on Cardiff

• 161 Krul to be Kind // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM

dan

i couldnt care less who starts personally as long as i see last night commitment again personally speaking

• 162 VANCMAG // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM

yeah but what Pardew says and what he does are totally different

• 163 DanRo // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:47 PM

@89Norcal – agree with almost everything.
    Marveaux should be ahead of Guitterez…depends on Pardew’s strength of loyalty methinks.
    Mbiwa will probably remain on bench.
    Mbiwa is a better CB than full back.
    Perch was picked to be more physical and I agree it worked. – Well done Pardew!
    Sissoko should stay where he is behind Cisse – or interchange with Cabaye.

The only thing I will disagree with you is that Santon should stay where he is!

• 164 check the toastie // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Anita should have played instead of Perch or Jonas, he is brave, demands the ball when ithers hide and has been one of our best players this season, when eventually given his chance by Pardrip.

Hope Anita plays at the weekend or will Perch be need to mark Ba in case he wins some headers against our CB’s, my god the arguments for players selections mirror that of our negative manager, its like people are brainwashed or something.

And Arsenals defending is chronic, they could do with Shola being brought on and maybe helping the back four. oh my god……………

• 165 yo-yo // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Danro

Lovely typo ‘ an extra martial affair’ suppose Colo and her got off on a bit of kick boxing or Tai Chi (allegedly)

• 166 check the toastie // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:54 PM

If Pardew wanted some physicality in front of the back 4 last night all he had to do was switch Sissoko and cabaye, play Anita and Sissoko in fron tof the back 4 instead of Perch and Cabaye, clearly Cabaye is better when he is allowed to go forward.

But no he plays Perch (who i like), who would not get a game for any other top 6 team, which is where we should endeavour to be.

• 167 89Norcal // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:54 PM

DanRo

If Mbiwa is a better CB then he should definitely be over Saylor, who we all know will just get injured lol. May as well be a backup now.

But like some have suggested…colo could STILL leave so Mbiwa will get a slot in that case.

Only reason I want Santon higher is his offensive abilities. No doubt he’ll assist more if he’s a dedicated winger or midfielder. He left us wide open quite badly last night on a few counter attacks. Guti never tracked back that far.

Some suggest Haidara was bought for that exact transformation; he’ll take LB and Santon will come up.

On another note Pardew needs to get us on a plan for closing out games, because shouting from the touchline during the heat isn’t going to do it. Tell Krul to stop booting it straight back to the opposition and to walk to the corner!

• 168 VANCMAG // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM

agree on Santon thought he played well last night and looked pretty solid

• 169 DokToon // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:58 PM

maybe a dumb posting… but…

i read the blog, daily… dont agree with some, but thats the point of a blog… opinions and all that.. but…

i do recall a character on a tv show here in the states called, “alf”… was about a short, furry alien who lived with a family… and also loved to eat cats… everything out of the aliens mouth was pure drivel, lots of flash, not much substance… just saying…

looking forward to saturday, go toon!!

(sorry to waste time, but im almost sure alf is back, in the blogosphere)

• 170 89Norcal // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:58 PM

check, you continue to amaze me with your ability to label everything as a blunder by Pardew.

Explain how Sissoko, fresh out of a slower paced Ligue 1, could contend with Benteke after 75min and still be involved in our attack (which we would want obviously).

One minute you want Pards to press the attack, now you want him to be defensive? Thought you hated that.

Perch was used for the express purpose of stopping Villa’s best ball winner and it worked. Just accept it.

• 171 nick_9 // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:59 PM

@NUFC_Stats: NUFC produced 17 out of 56 successful long balls against Villa. For them, it was 28 out of 63 #nufc

That shows the long ball isn’t that successful as we all knew, I think we do if as a self defence tactic to clear the danger, usually it comes back at us

@NUFC_Stats: There wasn’t a more accurate passer for NUFC last night than Davide Santon (93%). Jonas Gutierrez was the worst (outfield) – 61% #nufc

Substance for some of the Jonas criticism perhaps? Yes he runs a lot and tries but I think If we want a technical team his days are numbered. Hope marveaux returns to the eleven and obertan returns to the bench for Saturday if they aren’t injured.

• 172 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM

VANCMAG // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:27 PM

@tds
    Exactly no way is he going he has said so himself
    VANCMAG // Jan 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM

yeah but what Pardew says and what he does are totally different

Could you contradict yourself anymore?
    But your right pardew should never of written that letter to the san lorenzo fans……oh wait

• 173 Offkey // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM

@anyone

Please can someone point me to where I can download the full villa v nufc match……..if possible

• 174 Spuggy // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Check

You’re seriously getting boring now. Are you an attention seeker?

How on earth you can say Perch sissoko cabaye combo didn’t work in CM after the finest first half display this season is way beyond me.

And before you say it, the second half was different because villa went 442 from 352 bringing agbon and weiman on and put zog up front behind benteke and went for broke full out attack. Our new frenchies ran out of legs as well as cabaye, which required fresh legs asap to hold on to the lead.

Perch was excellent first half. Mbiwa plays as DMF at times and Shola was brought on to mark benteke out the game (which was pretty effective) for the last 20 mins.

We won, by the way.

• 175 alf // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Dok Toon, I bet your still a Virgin!

• 176 Spuggy // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:04 PM

In the first half santon had loads of the ball as the wingbacks villa deployed were not getting forward leaving loads of room.

• 177 89Norcal // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:04 PM

alf

:facepalm: what are you, 13?

• 178 yo-yo // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Pardew called it right last night.
    Subs were fine and for a purpose.
    Starting lineup again – a valid reason for everything.
    Pleased Pards has said he’d have started Marv too – as imo Guti is now a squad player rather than automatic first choice.

• 179 nufc786 // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:04 PM

about this wonder kid mbabu…. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2257368/Newcastle-sign-Kevin-Mbabu.html

• 180 VANCMAG // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:05 PM

@tads
    who rattled your cage it was pretty obvious he aint going anywhere hence the we have cover

• 181 nufc786 // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:05 PM

saints score against manu ………

• 182 Mister Tuff // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Following the French Revolution there has been an interest in the French language.One area of interest has been the correct translation of “Newcastle”. I posted the other day that the correct translation should be “Neufchateau” – based on modern day French Grammar. I believe there were a couple of doubters who thought it should be “Chateauneuf”. (Both versions do mean “Newcastle”.)
    Bolstering my argument further from a historical perspective I would point out the following:-
    Robert Curthose, son of William the Conqueror, built the “New Castle” in 1080.It is believe that all the notables of this period spoke Latin. Therefter New Castle was called “Novum Castellum” (referenced in 1130).There were references in 1168 that the place was called “Novum Castellum super Tinam” (Newcastle upon Tyne) and therefater in 1254 “Novum Castrum”.
    Therefore oberving that in the historic name the adjective “Novum” (new) preceeds the noun “Castrum” (castle) and therefore following this rule of using a pre-position of the adjective -would lead us to the correct formulation of Neuf (new) Chateau (castle).
    Therefore the correct translation should be “Neufchateau”.
    I must say of all the versions known I really liked the Latin version “Novum Castellun super Tinam”.
    In northern France there was a Germanic influence of the pre postion of the adjective whist further south the opposite rule of post position applied (generally)

• 183 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Sh1t
    Southampton beating utd really need utd and chelski wins tonight

• 184 DokToon // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:09 PM

alfie…

that was clever… i hear QPR is needing to fill seats, no IQ needed… you should apply… theyd give you lifetime passes, for you and your friend…

• 185 nufc786 // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:09 PM

• 186 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:10 PM

VANCMAG
    Why is it obvious? He’s been engineering a move for over a month the club blocked him going on a free transfer, if someone comes in with a £8-9 mil bid for a wantaway player do you think the club wouldnt accept that?

• 187 89Norcal // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:10 PM

DokToon
    His friend would get in free anyways. He is imaginary after all.

• 188 Beattie25 // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Perch should never, ever be picked of Anita IMO.

Players like Perch are good under pressure but invite pressure when we need to keep the ball and knock it around.

Perch should be on the bench and come on to add grit if we are 2-0 maybe 3-0 up.

• 189 DokToon // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:11 PM

norcal, great minds think alike, my point exactly!!

• 190 VANCMAG // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:12 PM

a wantaway player maybe but he wont just go anywhere he wants to go home

• 191 yo-yo // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Mr T

neufchateau it is then

Loin les gars !

• 192 89Norcal // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Beattie
    You would match up a 5’6” Anita against a 6’3” Benteke? Really???

There’s more to football than FIFA 13 Player Ratings. Benteke hardly got a touch most the game. TY Perch.

DokToon
    The guy is resilient I’ll give him that, probably because he lacks the exerpeicnce of social interaction and doesn’t know when to stop.

• 193 alf // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Dok Toon take Norcal89 with you it will give your carer a day off!

• 194 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM

VANCMAG
    Still a few clubs in argie with a bit of cash mate if he wants to go back it doesnt have to be san lorenzo

• 195 VANCMAG // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:16 PM

@Beattie25
    You make no sense Perch was part of the team first half playing it around.Anita did very little when he came on

• 196 VANCMAG // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Have any been linked and Colo has said he will stay.Yes he will probably go in the summer and good look to him

• 197 yo-yo // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Beattie

Another over the top statement – it has to be horses for courses – I’m with Norcal on this. We’re lucky to have such a choice in DMs. I’d prefer Anita as i rate him highly but this time it was the right call to play Perch and hold Anita back as a sub.

• 198 yo-yo // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:20 PM

alf

Forgot your meds !!!
    MEDS NOW!!

• 199 DokToon // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:20 PM

well, alfie, it may behoove you on your next day off to invest in spelling lessons, instead of insulting ones you do not know..

thought it was a good win, even though the last 20 minutes were stressful to watch…

• 200 magpiebop // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:21 PM

The whole squad have looked exhausted lately until now. A lot of decent players in the squad have looked poor including Guttierez but unfair to single him out in my opinion. We need to squad rotate to keep players fit and energetic in my opinion. We could have done that this season wii our youngsters bringing in one or two at a time into the squad but instead waited till everyone is injured or just knackered and introduce too many in one go.
    Take the Brighton game, we played a full team of backups but wiioot the regular first teamers to nurture and guide them were made to look stupid!

• 201 89Norcal // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:23 PM

yo-yo
    I’m with you to I obviously rate Anita higher, and he’s far more suited over Perch for games vs. Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc because he brings poise, invention and flair to our midfield.

We were always going to outclass Villa in the midfield, but Benteke who beat around Liverpool is a bruiser and as tough as Anita is…size is size and he’s short of it. Perch was the best matchup. If Pards had used Sissoko there instead, Sissoko never would have been as instrumental in our attack because he’d be too deep.

• 202 Spuggy // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Comparing Perch stats at Villa versus Anita at reading…

Perch V Anita (successful/all)
    passes 34/37 (92%) V Anita 30/34 (88%)
    Attacking third passes 7/10 (70%) V 7/11 (63%)
    Forward passes 19/22 V 11/15
    backward passes 11/11 V 12/12
    Headed clearances 3 v 0
    Total clearances 6 v 2

I let you draw your own conclusions Beattie (and others). Perch is a much better player than most give credit for.

• 203 alf // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Yo yo,do they call you that because of the Ritlin your on?

• 204 Spuggy // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Anita can get bullied about by big strong battling opposition, esp in 2nd half when our flair techincal players can tire – but against open expansive opposition he is great.

Horses for courses – but Perch is a very good DM.

• 205 AshtreeKid // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:26 PM

whats anyones thoughts on our activity levels in the transfer market tomorrow??

• 206 frogonthetyne // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Great result, 2nd half was intense I think I aged 10 years but it was inevitable villa would throw everything at us and we would have less possession. Hopefully we can now build on the result.

• 207 Lu-toon // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Hi all. See many different views on last nights game and on De-pardew capabilities as our manager.

Must admit, it was difficult to workout if we were superb with a high tempo pressing game high up the pitch, or was is that Villa were just woeful and spineless. Second half was backs to the wall, but was pleased with the resolve we showed, just like last season. I don’t want to be negative so would say let’s give De-pardew a chance now he has our players coming back along with our new boys.

On the positives, Sissoko is a beast of a player, the ground he covered was amazing, Jesus, cant wait to see what he will be like in 3-4 weeks time.
    Johan, needs to be made captain ASAP, just immense. Saylor, how we missed his tenacity and balls at the heart of defence.
    Hopefully with Mr T stepping up again, Ben Arfa And Marveux in the Side together, Cisse continually through the middle, I really can see Happy Days are coming.

I sat in the away end last night and and the sight of our fans was spectacular on the eyes. Their noise, the French flags, pretty sure I seen a Senegal flag also, and the green coloured flares after we went 2-0 up, I just could not stop laughing with joy. Boy did the Villa fans hate it and did they hate our new signings, the abuse was pure entertaining, and music to my ears and proved to me that a lot of the other clubs are pure jealous of the business we have done this window.

Really looking forward to the rest of season,starting with Chelsea, strong second half of the season now and really believe with half a season behind our new boys and what we have, and what I believe will be added then we will do some damage next season, as long as De-Pardew does not screw it all up.

One more thing fellow Toon fans, the Toon are my number 1 love, my 2nd is my home town Luton (back to front I know). Wish us luck against Millwall

• 208 deeeeeeano // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Makes sense Mister tuff, four lane ends rugby club is called novo castrians which fits your billing

• 209 daztoon // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:29 PM

@Beattie25
    There you go now you got yer title back cock of the day lets face it you own that title out right

• 210 TurkishFan101 // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Bony may very well be coming here, ACON is no longer in January and is now a summer sport so would be a very good signing.

• 211 alf // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Dok Toon, I can always improve my spelling mistakes, how are you going to improve your IQ?

• 212 Dantoon85 // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Is there any news on the grape vine of us making anymore signings

• 213 wingspan // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Was at the match last night, first game in a while. Heres my 2 Pence worth.

Krul is top class, i think apart from one kick near the end where he sent it higher in the air than further down the pitch he was outstanding.

Saylor and Colo – Both superb for me, Mbiwa looked a bit lost with the pace when he came on (it was frantic to be fair to him) so for me this is our strongest pairing for the time being.

Also ive never seen a player warm up as much as Mbiwa! He really wanted to get on, he wore the grass away on the side of the pitch!

Perchinho – So massively underrated by fans and oppositions alike. Strong, aggressive, reliable and a better passer of the ball than most give him credit for.

Sissoko is just a beast, a man mountain with class, canrt wait to see what this kid is like after a few games.

Gouffran – Very pleasently surprised, didnt have great expectations but i thought he was superb. Hardworking, technically good, confident on the ball and quick! Ridiculous we got him for less than a mil.

And i dont like jumping on bandwagons but Jonas brings absoluteley nothing to the team, he was awful. And shola is so so lazy, Ran out of steam after 5 mins, towards the end of the game there center bks were just pumping the ball long and he was making no effort whatsoever to close them down, it was a joke to be honest.

Anyway pleased with the win and first half especially
    when we have this front 6

————-Tiote
    —–Cabaye—Sissoko
    Benny—Cisse—Marv/Gouffran

Were gonna be some team to watch. HWTL!

• 214 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:32 PM

2-1 united thanks rooney, c’mon chelski get ba on the pitch let him bag a couple then tweak his hammy nout too bad just enough to sideline him through the weekend!

• 215 clinath@ed // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:34 PM

ALF…..Alien Life Form (tv show)

• 216 Krul to be Kind // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM

spuggy @174

Bang on m8!

• 217 papscrunt // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM

With our midfield being bolstered I’m hoping Pardew tells Tiote to revert back to what he does best. He’s not been the same player since he was told to restrain himself. Yep, he may get sent off at times but he’s superb when he blocking and throwing his body on the line. And if he does get suspended we have cover now.

• 218 Lu-toon // Jan 30, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Papscrunt

Bang on, totally agree, and his in your face style will get the rest of the team revved up too.

Think he needs to give Pardew one of his stares and tell him how he wants to play. Unleash the beast!

previous post: Pardew’s Record In First 100 Games – Mediocre At Best