The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Excellent Transfer Business By Newcastle In January

9:19 am, Friday, February 1st, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 56 Comments

Newcastle finished a very successful January transfer window last night by terminating Xisco’s contract at Newcastle, and the former Spanish U21 International then joined Spanish second division club Cordoba on a free transfer – but Newcastle brought in six players during the transfer window and they included three full French Internationals.

moussa sissoko on the quayside

Moussa Sissoko – great signing last month by Newcastle

Mathieu Debuchy, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, Yoan Gouffran, Massadio Haidara, Moussa Sissoko and 17 year-old Kevin Mbabu all joined Newcastle last month, with Kevin going straight into the Development squad but the other five now part of the first team squad at Newcastle, and Debuchy, Gouffran, Yanga-Mbiwa and Moussa Sissoko have all made their debts for Newcastle.

When you think that clubs like Aston Villa didn’t strengthen their sides at all in January, because they didn’t have the money, the January signings by Newcastle will go a long way to helping the Tyneside club avoid relegation and start moving up the league table.

And after the great win against Aston Villa last Tuesday night, our first away win of the season – we are now in 15th position – 6th bottom of the league and 4 points above the relegation zone.

But exactly which three clubs will be relegated this season is hard to predict.

Newcastle also sent some of the youngsters out on loan with Brad Inman at Crewe Alexandra, Conor Newton at St. Mirren, Curtis Good at Bradford, Mehdi Abeid at St. Johnstone and Paul Dummett going back to St. Mirren.

And we expect more of our young players to soon be sent out on loan soon.

Let us know how you think the transfer window went for Newcastle last month.

Are You Satisfied With Newcastle's Transfer Business In January?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Kevin Mbabu · Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa · Mathieu Debuchy · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Yoan Gouffran

56 responses so far ↓

• 1 Adopted_Geordie // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Has been a dream window like!

• 2 santonthenewmaldini // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Excellent piece of business for the Toon this window

Got rid of Xisco off the wage bill
    Managed to keep Colo till the summer
    Got rid of Ba which can only be good for team spirit
    Got 4 quality French Internationals
    Got 2 young prospects
    Loaned out quite a lot of youngsters

Probably the best window that I can remember being a Toon fan apart from that summer when Ferdinand and Ginola signed!!!

• 3 Transfer Sage // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:23 AM

This was a brilliant window. Problems from the summer were addressed, we got debuchy and mbiwa which is what we needed.

Sissoko will be a brilliant signing, gouffran was a surprise but has a good goal record so happy for him to step in for Ba the rest of the year.

Then haidara and mbabu have bright futures and will hopefully both be around the first team next year, especially haidara as he is much furth forward in his development.

I’d have liked a further striker/winger in but we have more than enough here now.

• 4 SuperShearer // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Fantastic window, Mike Ashely should be rightly applauded for seeing our plight and making sure he does everything he can to stop it without putting us in financial difficulty like QPR. Proper businessman who is learning more and more how to efficiently run a football club. This window more than any other act he’s done since taking over proves he has the club’s best interest at heart.

• 5 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Good morning lads,

Excellent window but would of loved a proper centre forward in on loan until the summer. Then weigh up our options.

Fingers crossed it dosnt come back to haunt us.

Roll on 3 oclock tomorrow afternoon!

• 6 Markaccus // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:30 AM

From last post re Ba
    sage. It just grinds on me that we gave him a jump start in his career. Took the gamble on his knees. He has treated us with absolutely no class whatsoever. I suppose I shouldn’t call for booing, as my first sport is rugby, and that is just not done in a rugby crowd. That judgement is for NUFC seson ticket holders, and people who regularly attend the games ( I only go there occasionally, as the rugby takes my money ). I’m still passionate about the toon though, and am as peed off as anyone when things go badly. I come on here to hear from the proper fans like yourself. Between everyones oppinions, the real story tends to emerge.

• 7 Hatem's better than Messi // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Yes a good window.
    I’m worried about injuries to Cisse, we do need another striker.
    So I voted not sure.
    However if the striker gamble pays off it’ll have been an excellent January window.

• 8 croftus5678 // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:30 AM

sure i read that maddison went on loan to st johnston aswell (young winger)

and yep great window only an extra stiker of quality short of a top 6 finish.

• 9 Transfer Sage // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Tomorrows game will be amazing I feel.

I think it will be as lively as the liverpool game with the return of carroll and enrique.

Benitez is under pressure, the team aren’t playing well, they are missing hazard and moses, they leak goals and Ba returns.

It’s going to be brilliant. 3-1 to the toon.

• 10 croftus5678 // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:33 AM

thats unfair on ba tbh as he could have gone at the begining of the season but he chose to stay untill tempted away by chelsea’s big money.

• 11 croftus5678 // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:36 AM

chelsea will be slightly easier than the av game in the second half as villa went hell for leather but we must concentrate as chelsea have so many quality players that one break will more than likely end in a goal if our defence is not 100%.

• 12 Markaccus // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Toon-prodigy. Yes, would have been the perfect window had we grabbed a CF back-up for cisse. That being said, still a great window. Goofy might get a few games up front. I’d like to see how he gets on there.

• 13 Hatem's better than Messi // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Ba’s a great striker, we agreed to the clause.
    I have no problem with the man.

However if there is a chance that 50,000 Geordies booing him puts him off his game ……. boo like hell everyone.

• 14 Transfer Sage // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM

markaccus

I believe we were good for Ba in giving him a decent wage to play in the prem league but he also was good for us by getting us goals.

I’d have no problem with him moving on to chelsea as he gets double pay and more chance of trophies so it’s fair.

My issue is just that he had a release clause, always wanted to push for that big move and the only reason he wanted a central role was for selfish purposes to get more goals and his move. It wasn’t to keep him happy and to stay.

I think as long as players give their all for the team then i dont mind them going, Ba wanted to do well for his self and not us, although it did help us.

Pardew is partly to blame though, he should have seen cisse and ba didnt work and put ba back on the left or dropped cisse for a player who can play as a wide forward.

But anyway, Ba is gone, Pards and Cisse remain, Vive le Toon.

• 15 Sharkattack // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM

very god window. im happy!

Starting XL tomorrow

krul
    dubechy mbiwa colo santon

sissoko anita

gouffran cabaye marve?

Cisse

• 16 croftus5678 // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM

@13

hehehe i like it 12th man and all lol

• 17 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Croftus

Maddison was released and is on trial at St Johnstone. Apparently 4 or 5 of the youngsters were released.

• 18 Transfer Sage // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:40 AM

croftus

I don’t think he had an offer he wanted in the summer or he would have gone. With not scoring and cisse getting the headlines less clubs were willing to gamble on his knee.

Therefore he only got lesser offers from teams in turkey if the media was right.

As soon as an offer he wanted came he left.

• 19 derekm // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM

An event I am looking forward to is the accounts for the end of this financial year. We will in all probability be in profit, which if you bear in mind where the club was headed under shepherd will be a miracle. Villa will go down because they are losing money and have an owner unable or not willing to invest.

• 20 Markaccus // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Croftus. I would have agreed that I was being unfair, its just that after pardew gave him what he wanted, a central role, which has had knock on effects to cisse and the teams confidence, he still allowed himself to be tempted away, and has also made sure he got a big wad out of it himself, and left us with what seems a poor fee for a prolific goal scorer. I think most of the unfairness has been from him and his agents. These are just my personal feelings, though, I accept other people feel differently. I’m 36 this year, so I may be becoming a grumpy old git!

• 21 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Markaccus,

Im concerned aswell. I havn’t seen enough of Gouffran yet and that is the worrying thing. I don’t know if he is capable or not as a centre forward in this league. God forbid if cisse gets injured and Gouffran takes a knock.

We would be in trouble. All it takes is a couple of hamstrings and there iut 4-6 wks. I don’t want to sound negative though, I just think outside the box thats all. The way our season has gone so far with injuries i just can’t help thinking the scenario.

• 22 phillyg // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I can see Mbwia challenging for the starting CB very soon. He is already an established player. He captained Montpellier the year they won the league at 22/23 years so there must be something. Sissoko is ready to take the league by suprise. Ba’s departure has now left a void that Cisse is more than capable of stepping into. Gouffran is going to come good, should work well with cisse. Debuchy already looks comfortable cant wiat to see him and HBA terrorising the right side. Hiadara is great prospect and should be able to step in either for santo or debuchy. All in very good window…. the futures bright, its black and white.

• 23 mindshaft // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:45 AM

We hardly gave Ba a kickstart, he had a great half a season at West Ham and we got him for nowt.
    Scored a shed load of goals for us and joined a team that doubled his wages and is likely to qualify for champions league for a few years – we still got 5 million quid for him which paid for Gouffran, Haidara and Sissoko

He was good for us and we were good for him, we agreed to the clause and had one the other way if his knees went where we wouldn’t have to pay up his contract – can’t have it both ways

Just hope Chelsea play Torres for 89 mins tomorrow

• 24 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:45 AM

We agreed to the clause, without it the deal wouldn’t have been done. We had several get outs in the event his knee went, so it is only fair that he also protects his interests. If most of our players had the opportunity to join the European Champions they would be off.

I have no problem with him at all. He did a good job for us, maybe slightly unsettled the team, but I think that fault is Pardews for allowing it.

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Croftus,
    Where’s the proof he could have gone for big money last summer, I never heard any rumours and if you remember he hadn’t scored in the second half of the season and missed a penalty.

• 26 Markaccus // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM

This is more like it. There’s three or four of us here with slightly differing veiws on tha Ba situation, and none of us has gone mental keyboard warrior on anyones ass! Much better having a constructive convo, isn’t it. Mind, if Alf and Catchy turn up it’ll all go to hell!

• 27 phillyg // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM

my team for tomoz would be

—————krul
    debuchy-taylor-collo-santon
    ———–anita-sissoko
    —goufran-cabaye-marvuex
    —————cisse

we got subs of shola, guit, mbwia, hiadara.
    all of them can come on and either sure us up or give us something different in means of attack.

• 28 Rowan Milsted // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM

My only gripes with the window are:

1) Some of this business should have been done a while ago, particularly signing a CB.
    2) We still need an attacker/winger.

That said, what’s happened before is done and I never expected us to bring the quality or quantity of players in that we have. We are certainly much stronger and now we have real quality in the team in every department, as well as some depth in most (but not all) departments. It was an amazing window which I why I had no choice but to vote ‘yes’.

It was refreshing to be in a position where I wasn’t dreading the potential sale of Tiote, HBA, Cabaye et al. On top of that we now have 3 good young defenders who could be potential 1st team regulars in years to come in Streete, Good and Mbabu.

Also it’s good to see some youngsters go out on loan. It’s a shame that we weren’t more proactive in getting players like Sammy A and Fergie some game time but with the injuries we’ve had it we simply didn;t have the squad to send therm out. They definitely need playing time though, either on loan or possibly in Europa matches.

I feel sorry for Xisco but thank goodness he’s gone. Good for us, good for him. I’m now looking forward to seeing the new boys in action and getting HBA fit again. Are Raylor and Vukic out for the season?

Anyway, best window I can recall. Well done all at nufc (eventually!). Let’s hope we make a couple more additions and maybe replace a couple in the summer, then we’re set.

• 29 croftus5678 // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM

just a few opinions on ba !

he’s no winger and has a right to want to play where he is best suited i dont blame ba for this i would rather blame cisse for the collapse of the partnership as shearer himself said if they are a good striker they adapt to there partner and when up front together it was never ba that let the team down.

but given the choice of ba/remy or the 6 players we just signed my answer is obv i think we are a lot stronger and will get a lot more points now with the players we have.

• 30 phillyg // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM

at the end of the day, being a footballer is a job. If someone offered me a nice pay rise doing the same job for a different company I would go. the only types of players who won’t leave for cash is S taylor and true geordies. (the carroll situation may be the exception and we dont know the full truth).

• 31 saxonfenken // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Got to agree Sage
    Where would we have been without all those goals before he left, We will never know if Cisse would have carried on for from last year if he was the central striker, and even if he had would Ba have scored so many from the wing.

I so think that AP giving into Ba to play up front must have upset the dressing room some what. but to be fair at the end of the summer Transfer window he did everything to keep Ba, and maybe it was a condition for him staying

• 32 Rowan Milsted // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:52 AM

On Ba – personally I think his sale was inevitable. The clause was a royal pain but probably the only way of getting him in the first place. His effort, work rate and general form were superb so I thank him for that. However, he could easily have stayed til the end of the season and not left us flirting with relegation in January. I do feel slightly sore about that.

• 33 lesh // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Off thread but relating to Odermbingwie’s failed attempt to force a move to QPR.

As clubs aren’t allowed to talk to players without permission, WBA are saying that Odemwingie’s acted unprofessionally in going to Lofthouse Road to try to force his move, without permission.

Somehow, he must have known that the terms on offer would make the move worth while – does he share telepathic powers with ‘onest ‘arry Rednapp?

• 34 lesh // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:55 AM

What price QPR are relegated and go into financial meltdown after Rednapp’s period of stewardship?

• 35 Jail for Ashley // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Rowan,
    I would have written exactly the same if I could spell properly.
    On Xisco, I think Tads was having a laugh when he said Mashley made all the players step forward except Xisco.

• 36 TorqToon // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:56 AM

On the Ba situation – I hope he isn’t boo’d.

Whilst with us he gave his all, scored some valuable goals and played well for us.

Yes it was at the expense of Cisse’s form
    Yes he was always looking for a way out
    Yes his agents caused more grief than needed
    Yes he had Pards over a barrel with his demands to play central

BUT – he did a job for us. We should all go out there and back our lads to the hills – put all our focus on our lads – show Ba he walked away from the best fans in the world and cheer the lads to a win.

HWTL

• 37 croftus5678 // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM

@25

there was prob no big offer for him in the summer but the point was that after being prolific and scoring loads in 1st half then being moved to the wing (where he was not happy) the time to not be loyal was at that time.

and it took a we will double your wages and you’ll get champs league/world class players in the team to play with you offered him over x amount of years which you can not blame him for taking.

if for e.g. stoke came in for him with slight money raise i do not think he would have gone so he was loyal to some extent imo.

• 38 TorqToon // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Lesh – I said that last night mate. Odemwingie stated in interview that he was glad that “Harry showed trust in him to turn the club around” and always referred to QPR as “we” !

Surely that shows there was unprofessional contact!?!

• 39 Transfer Sage // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:58 AM

My last bit on Ba

I’m sure if we as fans thought he would leave if he got a good offer from a good club then the club must have known.

I don’ think he was deceitful in anything he did but we did offer him a good contract without all these injury get outs so he had the option.

I think I am more annoyed that Pardew persisted with Ba and Cisse together when it didn’t work

I know what shearer said but sometimes players are just not suited to each other. Ba worked with shola well, but cisse is a lone man and needs midfielders around him, he doesn’t seem to work well with a partner, not his fault, just his style of play.

• 40 saxonfenken // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:59 AM

it is not so much QPR getting relegated, it will be more when Harry leaves for a better club as he did to Portsmouth, and he did the same there. So glad I am not a QPR supporter

• 41 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Ba will get more than boo-ed if he kisses the turf afterr hre has scored

• 42 lesh // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Just heard Rednapp say the Odembwingie moves were the result of a mix up – sure thing ‘arry, we believe ya!

• 43 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 1, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Morning all,have not seen a window this exciting since my neighbour took her pyjamas off with the curtains open.Class

• 44 LooneyToon41 // Feb 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM

@24 Lilongwe has got it spot on about Ba. Without the clause he would not have signed. He was a free agent, and his agents told EVERY club that was in for him, that the clause was non-negotiable. End of.

If you can accept that, then all in all it was good business for NUFC, and unfortunately we cannot blame Ba for doubling his money and going to Chelski.

In a nutshell, he always gave his all on the pitch, so good luck to him. Hopefully the dressing room will be better for it too.

@2 Santon. Xisco off the wage bill yes, but we had to pay up his contract, so it’s not as if we’ve actually saved any money!

Best window in ages. We’ve signed good players for good value. Well done MA,DL and LC!

• 45 lesh // Feb 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Agreed Torq but we know that Rednapp’s not the only one acting unethically but will anyone take him to task over it? I doubt it but it really should be stamped on… but how?

People in glass houses etc….. HBA comes to mind!

• 46 lesh // Feb 1, 2013 at 10:04 AM

It was MrMojoRisin76 and I’ve never laughed as much since me granny got her t*ts caught in the mangle!

• 47 Transfer Sage // Feb 1, 2013 at 10:04 AM

corftus

i dont mind the move to chelsea…its the whole threat of play me in this position or i will leave then he got his wish but left.

• 48 Transfer Sage // Feb 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM

loonytoon

The contract was cancelled by mutual consent…so possibly a reduced fee or none at all was paid to xisco.

Even at full wack we haven’t lost anything so it’s all good.

• 49 OhSholaAmeobi // Feb 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM

great window.
    please explain why on earth you would boo ba? would be just like booing kevin nolan or danny guthrie…

• 50 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Lol Lesh bit too early to be giving me the mental image of granny t1t’s,saying that though,if a granny was to get her t1t’s caught in a mangle i don’t think they’d look any different when they came out of it,might get rid of the wrinkles.

• 51 Transfer Sage // Feb 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM

oh shola

because he demanded a central role or he would leave then he left anyway.

I dont mind him going to chelsea, it was his attitude of demanding things and not sticking with us once he got them.

I personally wont boo but get why people would.

why did people boo carroll? enrique? it happens

• 52 croftus5678 // Feb 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM

@39

aye cisse is a unique talent no one scored goals like him but he is hard to understand why he keeps running offside ect but one thing for sure is that he is a world class striker which is why pards prob stuck with the 2 of them.

think goofy will compliment his play as even in the villa game the room he made for cisse was brilliant where as ba never really made space.

problem is if we build a front line around cisse and he gets injured or sent off can we change our style that fast in order to cope ?

• 53 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 1, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Im in the minority then.

For me Ba never played with any loyalty to the shirt, he was only ever interested in keeping himself in the shop window. Im happy for the performances and the goals but at the same time he disrespected the club, disrespected the fans, and was a very selfish individual when it came to putting the team first. From the day he started to do well he had one leg out the door.

I havnt forgot about his tweets either, every window, and how coy he was in saying how happy he was while he had his agents floating all over europe wanting his double wages. Not to mention the timing of his departure. The bloke was a snake and the club only benefitted because he was so desperate to get out. This is the truth.

Sorry Demba, but if you treat my club like that, you treat me like that.

You wont get a welcome from me.

• 54 croftus5678 // Feb 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM

@51

i have nothing against ba he was imo one of our very best players when he was here and i completely understand why he left as i realistically would have done the same in his possition.

but the booing i think is a great idea (not because of anything abusive) but anything we can do to help our team and send confusion/unhappiness in the other team (all players not just ba) we should do.

• 55 croftus5678 // Feb 1, 2013 at 10:27 AM

@53

self motivation its what makes the great players great !

if messi was asked to play in goal for half a season (weather he could do a job there or not) it would not matter as he knows where he is best played and that he’s better for the team in that position (same as ba) take cisse/ba last half of last season and compare it to ba/cisse this season ! as a joint goal tally it was great the only difference was ba was scoring and not cisse this time in a ream with not as much creativity (players out from last season).

its only because we have our hearts set on the number 9 and do not want him to fail that we tend to look past what is actually happening.

• 56 Wysey // Feb 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Is it just me who has a nagging feeling we didn’t sign a striker in this window as Ashley is hoping to get Andy Carroll back in the summer?

previous post: Please Help Support The “Give Tilly a Hand” Appeal