Marveaux Fit Again – Available For Chelsea Game

Some really good news from the Newcastle camp today – as the foot injury sustained by Sylvain Marveaux last Monday was not as bad as first feared – and in fact he is fit and available for selection against Chelsea tomorrow.

sylvain marveaux wigan

Sylvain Marveaux – fit again for Chelsea game

That’s really good news because Sylvain has really come into his own these last couple of months – and he will be able to start on the right wing tomorrow – forming a front three with new boy Yoan Gouffran and Papiss Cisse in the center.

The former Rennes winger and French U21 International was in training again yesterday and, after surprisingly missing out against Villa, he is available again for selection.

This is what Alan Pardew said today:

“Marveaux was unfortunate to get injured just before the game because he would have started the game.” “However, the team did so well it means I have a decision to make.” “The team will be pretty much as it was.” “We have to build on Villa now, that one is done.”

We suppose Marveaux could now come in for James Perch in the starting eleven tomorrow, in the important games against Chelsea – but as Alan says he does have some selection decisions to make for tomorrow’s game  – although he could simply start the same side that did so well on Tuesday night.

Then he will have plenty of skill and strength on the bench for second half substitutions.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Carryingcoals

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I’d heard Marv was out for three weeks, great to have him back so soon. Developing in to a real favourite of mine.

• John Tudor

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM

is that an excuse creeping out

• John Tudor

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM

if he was odds on to start at villa he should start against chelsea thank you perchy ill get you on after 60 mins

• toonfield

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Team as it was…
    Jonas in again then

• rainrix

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM

The logical move would be marv for jonas but yeah thats not happening. We really need a holding midfielder as well so i wouldnt drop perch either. Marv for the bench it seems, although it is nice to actually have some quality to bring on, Marv, anita mbiwa instead of shola sammy and obertan with even more quality when hba and tiote come back.

• Carryingcoals

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Perch is a better holding midfielder than Jonas, Marveaux is a better winger than Jonas. Despite Jonas being of greater stature than Perch in the squad, I’d keep him in. Could be pretty useful in disrupting Chelsea’s midfield…

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Another repost :slow down Ed man
    I think that now Pards has got so to speak the tools he needs for the job it will be easier to judge him now, I myself was losing faith in him very quickly but thought a lot of the criticism he was getting was unfair as he wasn’t even half backed to the extent he has been this time, so I suppose now is judgement time for him, I just hope he keeps his gob shut for a bit and let his team and points gained do his talking for him, I wasn’t impressed with his comments after the Villa game when asked what happened in the second half he smirked and then replied the French lads legs went, should have been bigging the all up after the excellent starts they made.

• Carryingcoals

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

rainrix

beat me to it 😉

• Transfer Sage

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

rainrix

I’d like marv for jonas and anita for perch really.

However I think we will see the exact same team after what pards has said. Hopefully they get the job done.

• Rowan Milsted

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:57 AM

My team for Chelski:

Krul
    Debuchy-Taylor-Colo-Santon
    Anita
    Cabaye-Sissoko
    Goffran-Cisse-Marveaux

If French players are tiring we could bring Perch or Guti on for Sissoko (ideal if we’re winning with 10-15 mins to play) and Obers for Gouffran (he’s a better late sub than a starter).

It’s a fairly narrow formation but Santon and Debuchy can provide width. If they go forward, Anita and/or Sissoko can drop. Sissoko and Cabaye will be strong in the middle and provide service for Cisse, with Gouffron and Marveaux coming in off the flanks and pulling defenders around.

• Carryingcoals

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM

sage

Whilst I like Anita, I’d prefer Perch in there I think. I can see him putting himself about more, could be needed in a game of this nature…

• WWYCD

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Carryingcoals
    If it was Marv who got a lump kicked out of him in that match he would of disappeared instantly never to be seen again, least Jonas stood up and got mad (and I reckon had a cheeky hint at Perch who then took a few lumps out of that little Austrian ball bag)

• lordy_geordie

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM

hey guys was just remembering worse players to ever play foitball. Does anyone remember that guy souness signed? it wasnt for us but he got a call from an agent saying george weahs cousin was available or something. well he signed him based on tht and i remember the lad came on as a sub and did so bad he took him off 10 minutes later and never ayed him again lol

• Beattie25

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM

WWYCD

Yes I do.

I think every player want’s to be here and are focused on NUFC. (maybe other than Ben Arfa who seems to me to want to play at NUFC for the project rather than the money) .

I think most players would seriously consider big offers but wouldn’t actively peruse them like Ba did.

Ba was on a goal bonus and played for himself, our current guys look to play as a team despite being on a goal bonus.

Ba is very different to our current players. I think our current team have dreams of winning medals where as Ba had dreams of winning a big wage.

Guarantee Ba will be playing in Saudi Arabia in 2-3 years.

• TorqToon

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:00 AM

If keep perch in to hold and switch our Jonas for Marv.

But like others on here – I feel it will be an unchanged side. Taylor & colo need to be careful – one bad game and Mbiwa will be in – and I rate him to keep his spot for the duration.

• rainrix

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Carrying… Great minds 🙂 only a minutes difference though

Sage… I think its really vital we have a defensive midfielder. Anita to me is more a classic CM more technical but cant impose himself as much on the opposition as perch. It may be a better option to start anita and have a generally more attacking team then bring on perch later for more control. Although like you said it doesn’t really matter pards has confirmed the same team, unless he’s playing pesky mind games 😉

• Beattie25

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Perch cannot play.

We need a pacey, technical ball winner in there to cope with the movement of Mata, Oscar and Ramieres,

Perch will get destroyed.

• croftus5678

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM

i’ll go with

————————-krull———————
    ———saylor——-mbiwa——collo——
    debuchy——————————santon
    ———-sissoko–cabaye–anita———–
    ————–goofy—–cisse—————–

looks good on paper if marv just back from injury give him time to get back to full fitness esp against chelsea then we can bring him on as sub if needed.

• rainrix

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Carrying… It appears you have just beaten me to it now, swings and roundabouts 🙂

• Transfer Sage

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Carrying

Perch is a good enough player to do the DM role so i’m not too concerned.

I think marv has come into his own now, started playing with confidence after a little run and doing some good things. He hasn’t hidden like he had in early games for us.

• Carryingcoals

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:02 AM

WWYCD

I know what you mean mate, in fact I did defend Jonas’ role yesterday in Tuesday’s win. While I see your point and appreciate that Marv can fade out of games, I’d like to attack Chelsea from the off on the weekend and I think we’d be better suited to do so starting with Marv.

• Carryingcoals

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Beattie

So who would you suggest instead? Whoever is handed the role has a tough job to say the least…

• John Tudor

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM

gets ok from me crofty but pardew will mastermind another

• WWYCD

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Repost
    WWYCD // Feb 1, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Beattie
    I would put money down that every single one of our star players agents are trying to get moves every window

Most of our current crop came for more money that what they were on and they all have bonuses worked into their contract

Ba can play for money but he signed for the CL champions who compete for trophies every year…we dont

Good luck to Ba as far as am concerned

• Toon-Prodigy

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I think Marv is being brought in nicely, I think eventually he will take over from Jonas. He will be a starter mext season more than likely.

I feel Jonas is being given a chance at the moment to re-discover his form. Alot of his work these days is to defend and cover and let santon roam, I think this goes a little unnoticed at times.

Its alright saying yeah, santon & marv down the left but they are two very direct players which will more than likely leave gaping holes. There both quite young and inexperienced i feel, especially santon. Still alot to learn. Next season could be marvs season. Excellent option to come off the bench though. I like him.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM

rainrix

between anita, cabs and sissoko they will put themselves about enough to disrupt chelsea but will also have the composure to keep he ball and use it well.

I have no issue with perch…i remember him playing CB in the home game against liverpool and he had suarez in his pocket, he can handle tricky little players so I feel comfortable if he starts.

• WWYCD

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Carryingcoals
    Yeah mate but Jonas will start haha (protects Santon a heck of a lot and our defence is going to need as much help as they can get tomorrow) Id drop Perch for Marv keep Cabs and Sissoko deeper

• Beattie25

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM

We can’t play normal Pardew tactics against Chelsea, we need to attack them.

Remember last season when we got beat 3-0, we were the much better team because we attacked. We were just unlucky. Sitting off Chelsea and allowing them to play is inviting a beating.

We need intensity from the defense and creativity from the front to have any chance of winning.

I think Saylor can keep Ba quiet, the threat is Oscar, Mata and Lampard.

• WWYCD

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Or could drop both Perch and Jonas bring in Anita and Marv play with 3 CMs and 2 out right wingers…seems unlikely though

• Transfer Sage

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM

toon prodigy

My issue with jonas played as a defensive option is that is not the primary role of a winger. A winger should press upfield (when he has 3 centre mids for cover too) and track back to some extent but not for 90 mins.

I think that the role of the DM is to help when a fullback goes forward.

Best wing partnership is baines and pienaar…..when baines attacks pienaar isn’t sat in the back 4, he is running past and around baines to offer support. The whole point of the full back getting forward is to offer support, not take the place of the winger.

• rainrix

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Sage… Either way i have confidence with our midfield 3 regardless of anita or perch starting. I think we’re physically stronger than them in midfield.

I think a lot of people are underwhelmed when perch starts myself included, but generally he always delivers. Its generally nice to have these selection dilemmas for once 🙂

• Carryingcoals

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Yeah that is a fair point.

It wouldnt be a surprise to see exactly the same team as fielded for villa

• John Tudor

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM

whatever team pardew picks will get my support then i can wait with bated breath for his dodgy subs

• Beattie25

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM

WWYCD

I am usually negative but that is one of the most negative statements ever.

I don’t agree every star player is actively seeking moves. Granted that their agents will on their behalf but not on the players say so.

Not all footballers are like Demba, so it is unfair to tarnish them all with the same brush.

If a good opportunity came along I’m not saying they would stay, I am just saying they would consider staying.

Demba has moved 4 or 5 times in his career, most of our players only once.

Demba was here 18 months, hardly long enough to give us his all and leave us all with the happiest of memories.

It was a marriage of convenience. We used him for his goals, he used us for his bank account.

I owe him no thanks, he owed us no loyalty.

Do not group all players into the same pen. I know it makes things easier for when they go, but every circumstance is different.

• ~Anita One Bites the Dust~

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Perch is a warrior. Since his revival he has been a consistent performer for us. I don’t mind at all if he starts.

I was thoroughly amused at how he was all over Weimann before being subbed.

Crunching but fair tackles.

• toonbrother

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM

marveaux for jonas definitely

……………………..krul
    .debucy…saylor….mym……santon
    sissoko…..cabaye….perch…
    ……………………….marvs……………gouffran…
    ………………………cisse

• santonthenewmaldini

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM

We need to play Anita tomorrow him Cabs and Sissoko could potentially outplay Chelsea in the middle

OR

We could play Perch Cabs and Sissoko in the middle with Marveux and Anita on the wings

Both offer pace , can dribble, have great movement and can cross actually think Anita has all the trademarks to be a good winger in the premier league

Either way Anita has to play as we have to attack them from the start as their defense is poor and if Cech is not playing we have a chance to get a couple of goals there is no point in Jonas playing from the start as we will just end up getting beat

He was good for playing against Villa because he can battle but this game is going to be about keeping possession Chelsea have got a great stat that the commentator on Match of the Day last week in that they have the best record in the league for capitalizing on mistakes and scoring from them so we cant afford to have players who lose the ball like Jonas in the team just leaves us too vulnerable

• Dukis22lt

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I dont want to see Jonas in the side again… I remember he used to be so good down that left side few seasons ago but he just doest have it anymore 🙁 Marveux in Jonas out PLEASE!

• Beattie25

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Against Chelsea we should drop Sissoko back and play 3 CM rather than 2 DM and 1 AM IMO. Anita, Cabaye and Sissoko dropping back and pushing forward when attacking offers us pace, power and creativity.

We don’t need to rush the ball forward, don’t have to be so direct.

The full backs need to get forward to bring Marv and Goofy central to support Cisse with Sissoko bombing forward, Cabaye holding back and Anita slipping into the vacant full back position.

Sorted.

3-0 the toon

• John Tudor

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM

villa never really hurt it was the arrowed diagonal balls which should have been stopped at source chealsea is a totlly different game scenario

1 2 3 6