The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Please Help Support The “Give Tilly a Hand” Appeal

5:50 am, Friday, February 1st, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

Tilley Lockey’s mother Sarah has contacted me and some other Newcastle web-sites for their support in raising funds for her seven year-old daughter Tilly, as part of the Give Tilly A Hand appeal.

ALAN PARDEW WITH TILLY

Tilly with Newcastle manager Alan Pardew

Here’s some words from Tilly’s loving mother Sarah about her daughter:

Shown is the image of the handprint that Alan Pardew has created to raise money for my daughter Tilly.  Tilly contracted Meningitis Septicaemia when she was only 15 months old. We were told that Tilly was likely to die but she battled on and thankfully survived. However Tilly’s body was devasted by this awful  disease and Tilly had to have her hands and all of her toes amputated.

The night before Tilly went into surgery to get her hands removed I held her close and made her a promise. I promised Tilly that mummy would do everything that she could to give her some new hands and to help live a happy and confident life. I now dedicate my life to helping my daughter.

When Tilly first came out of hospital we set up ‘The Give Tilly a Hand Appeal’. We decided that we would ask Celebrities if they would mind creating a handprint for Tilly. We would then auction these handprints and the money raised would go into a fund to help Tilly buy her new hands which need to be replaced as she grows and help us pay for the trips to get her new hands made.

It could also help us with any needs that Tilly would have. We have been very lucky that many celebrities have wanted to support our appeal and see it as a very worthy cause.

Alan Pardew created a fabulous handprint out of a collage of images of Newcastle United and got the whole team to sign the handprint. This handprint will go to auction on ebay on Friday the 1st February and will run for a month. We really hope that people will want to support our appeal and bid generously for this fantastic handprint that will be a great collectors piece for any Newcastle United Fan.

Please support this auction on eBay as much as you can – and you can get all information on the Give Tilly A Hand appeal.

Many Thanks,

Ed Harrison.

Tags: Charity · Newcastle News · Other News

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 89Norcal // Feb 1, 2013 at 6:02 AM

Nice gesture. If I wasn’t broke atm I’d happily contribute

• 2 ganiyu // Feb 1, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Would be a good thing if the government can assist her financially.

• 3 ogm // Feb 1, 2013 at 7:28 AM

That is so sad, brought a tear to my eye, donation made

• 4 LGFUAD21 // Feb 1, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Fantastic window for us.

Dot believe the people still complaining we didn’t sign a striker.

Firstly we signed Gouffran who is better than people on here are giving credit for.

Yes we need another proven goalscorers but are you not satisfied with what we got in.

We now have more firepower and ball playing ability in defence, a more creative midfield and options to keep things energised.

W will see more goals from Cisse and the midfield as a result.

We only need one big man up top, Shola can come on for cisse in games when cisse is tiring. He can be a good super sub and Gouffran has the pace and technical ability to thrive off sholas hold up play, as does Marveaux.

I think if we can start getting that midfield sorted then we can start using our players more effectively

• 5 melbourne geordie // Feb 1, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Just some thoughts and observations on the status quo. Can any of us really criticise this window? Everything we’ve asked of Ashley he’s done. Yeah, I’d have loved a world class target man to challenge Cisse, but shite,if you’d told me in December that we’d have Debuchy, Sissoko and Mbiwa this time next month I’d have gone nuts. We’re so blessed up until the pointy end of the attack that even Shola could sit there and achieve. And no offence Shola – I’m not a hater. Even I’d score goals off of Cabaye, Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Marv and Goof ! And how about Goofy? Needs to know when to release the ball but I reckon a real unsung hero of the Villa game.

I can’t wait for Chelsea and pray that Rafa’s still the man, clinging on for dear life. I’m shit scared of Poyet or the likes as the new boss and the bounce back that’ll give them. (PS – and a tough one to share given my previous stance, but my best mate’s sister (a long bow, but bear with me) knows Mike Ashley and his family and says he’s a real gent. Maybe we can start believing…..(shite, the ghost of Frank Pingel just tickled my calf !) HWTL…

• 6 melbourne geordie // Feb 1, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Just seen post 4 – hear ya mate ! I shouldn’t have bothered ! ; )

• 7 toonarmydownsouth // Feb 1, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Bless poor little thing, what great cause, page bookmarked will happily donate once in from work!
    Nice gesture from the club too!

• 8 Transfer Sage // Feb 1, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Great cause. Well promoted Ed, nice to get some good, positive stories on here.

I will make a donation this weekend and see if there is anyway I can promote this around work. Always happy to help local people and charities.

• 9 Marty-Toon // Feb 1, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Wee pet,hope they get all the money they need.
    Nice gesture from the club,nice post Ed

• 10 Markaccus // Feb 1, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Poor bairn :( I’d love to bid for that, wouldn’t get anywhere near it though.

Agree with the 2 epic posts re the trans-window. I think many are under estimating goofy. Thought he showed a good turn of pace and plenty of skill v Villa. He put plenty of effort in too. He will get the odd game as a striker too, from what I have read about him, so we will see if there’s goals in him, too.

• 11 Transfer Sage // Feb 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Markaccus

The transfer window exceeded all my expectations if I’m honest. I had heard we were in for 3-4 and thought that was ambitious and was unsure if it would happen. So 5 first team players and 1 development player is brilliant.

I think we are much more solid at the back with the options we now have. We also have some pace in gouffran which is something we have lacked, pace with quality.

It sets us up nicely for the run to the end of the season and hopefully we will add the other players to complete the squad in the summer.

• 12 bills-son // Feb 1, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Life is cruel at times and my heart goes out to Tilly and here family.

Such a beautiful lttle girl losing her hands and the heartache and challenges that brings puts losing a football game into perspective.

God bless her.

• 13 Markaccus // Feb 1, 2013 at 8:11 AM

TSage. In summer we may even be in a position to replace players, rather than adding. For example replace Williamson with someone better (a one legged monkey would do) another CB if colo goes. A rb to replace simson. I think as far as additions go, a winger and a striker is enough (or a high quality player who can do both effectively)

• 14 Transfer Sage // Feb 1, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Bills

Well said…certainly puts all arguments over formations and managers on here into perspective. These are real problems, very glad Ed supports all these charities on his blog.

• 15 Markaccus // Feb 1, 2013 at 8:17 AM

When does pards have to re-name the squad of 25 senior players?

• 16 TorqToon // Feb 1, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Nice post ed. a great cause and lovely touch by the club to support this great charity.

• 17 TorqToon // Feb 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM

And on the transfer window – I’m over the moon!

If anybody had been offered -

Yanga-Mbiwa (1st team)
    Yoan Gouffran (1st team)
    Moussa Sissoko (1st team)
    Matthieu Debuchy (1st team)
    Massadio Haidara (Future 1st team)
    Kevin Mbabu (Develpment squad)

PLUS keeping all our current crop…

All for £25mil…we’d have bitten their hand off!

• 18 Markaccus // Feb 1, 2013 at 8:30 AM

SSN had our spend at 22.1 last night I think. And that doesn’t include money received for players, so I make that a net spend of 15.1. That’s good business!

• 19 TorqToon // Feb 1, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Mark – Cracking business mate!

• 20 Markaccus // Feb 1, 2013 at 8:43 AM

And its not as if we have taken any risks, we have signed players who at least look to have a decent pedigree, and, if you include the injured players, we can actually fill our 25 senior spots. Haidara is just under-age, mbabu is well under.

• 21 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 1, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Very worthy cause, and as Sage says, it puts some of the petty arguments and squabbles well and truly into perspective. Good gesture from the club as well.

On the transfer window, I think it was an excellent month, okay we lost Ba, but we have bought some real quality in. This rectifies the mistakes of the summer, and hopefully will be continued in the summer.

In terms of summer business, we need two attacking players, a striker and a winger/inside forward type player. Defensively we need centre halves, although Pards believes Good will be pushing first team next season, I’m not so sure. Depending on Tavs progress if we loan him out, a full back would be needed to replace Simmo. Other than that, I’d imagine a large part of summer recruitment will be development players, and hoopefully some top class coaching staff to bring them through.

• 22 Hatem's better than Messi // Feb 1, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Yes an excellent window.
    Some very strong players, which we were lacking.
    Gouffran adds pace too.

Xisco gone too, that’s a bonus windfall. Not that it was the lads fault.

Markaccus – Don’t think we kept all the Ba money and there’ll be a few £M in agents fees too.

Good luck to Tilly. Great idea, I hope lots of celebs get involved.

• 23 Markaccus // Feb 1, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Hatem. Yes there will have been hidden fees all over the place, but SSN were jost looking at the basic numbers so as a ball-park figure it looks good. Also, I think we did get all the Ba dosh, I was under the impression Chelskiov paid the extra 2M to his agents, I could be wrong though.

• 24 Transfer Sage // Feb 1, 2013 at 8:56 AM

markaccus

I think with ba we got a reported 5mil, he got 2.5 of that, then chelsea had to pay his agent a further 2mil.

Either way Ba did pretty well out of it and I don’t welcome him back to St James’

He bleated on about leaving if he was played wide, was given a central role and used that to get goals and force a move. If he had been left out wide and not scored as many I don’t think he would have got his big money move.

I think that moving to chelsea isn’t an issue, it’s good for him, double money and more chance of a trophy, its the way he got the move which annoyed me.

• 25 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 1, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Hatem, Mark – I think Hatem is right, I think the 2million came out of the 7mill, not from Chelsea on top. Read a couple of articles saying that. Either way, incredible deal for his agents.

• 26 Markaccus // Feb 1, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Looking at the squad, I think there is 2 current players who will reach senior age for next season. (I havnt included ranger cos he won’t kick a ball for us again) so if we want 5 players in summer the following must happen. Colo, willo and simmo will leave (probably, hopefully, and almost sure respectively) that leaves only one senior place. So one established CB in. One young one for willo and a young FB for simmo. For attacking players, wed either have to get 2 good youngsters, or sell a couple of players (gosling? Obertan?) Gonna be complicated in summer!

• 27 Transfer Sage // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:06 AM

markaccus

harper might retire (have krul, elliot, alnwick still)

simmo will go, maybe offload raylor too, colo might leave

gosling, amalfitano, obertan

nile ranger off too

there are plenty there we can upgrade on if we need to.

• 28 Markaccus // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I thought we got 5 because we gave him a 2M loyalty bonus or something. Either way I agree, the mercenary slap heed should be booed on saturday.

• 29 Markaccus // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I think amalfitano would be worth keeping on another year. I haven’t included ranger in this years 25 or next years 27, because he’s a d1ck. Agree gos and obertan wouldn’t be missed. Forgot about harps possible retirement. And yes its likely colo and simmo will leave. Williamson is surely not good enough either. -d be surprised if Raylor went, he’s versatile. Pards likes a versatile!

• 30 Transfer Sage // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Markaccus

Pardew risked the team to keep Ba happy, he persisted with him central with cisse, then eventually moved cisse a bit more to the right to try and keep him happy and at the club.

The reality is Ba wanted a central role to get goals as without goals in the 2nd half of last season there was no real interest in him in the summer to get him his big move.

I wont boo him but wont blame people who, the guy played pardew for a fool and never had an intention of staying.

• 31 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I’d give Amalfitano a chance, it can take a while sometimes to settle in a new country, so give him another year, although he really should be starting to push for a spot on the bench now at least.

• 32 Markaccus // Feb 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Tsage. It just grinds on me that we gave him a jump start in his career. Took the gamble on his knees. He has treated us with absolutely no class whatsoever. I suppose I shouldn’t call for booing, as my first sport is rugby, and that is just not done in a rugby crowd. That judgement is for NUFC seson ticket holders, and people who regularly attend the games ( I only go there occasionally, as the rugby takes my money :D ). I’m still passionate about the toon though, and am as peed off as anyone when things go badly. I come on here to hear from the proper fans like yourself. Between everyones oppinions, the real story tends to emerge.

previous post: Newcastle Complete Last Gasp Xisco Deal – Contract Terminated