The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Magpies Need To Be Wary Of Demba Ba Today

10:18 am, Saturday, February 2nd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 43 Comments

It’s only natural that there’s a lot of news about Demba Ba in the upcoming game this afternoon at St. James’ Park, as the former Newcastle number 19 returns to the club he scored 29 goals for in just 58 appearances in all competitions.

Demba Ba scores against wigan

Demba Ba – while in Newcastle’s colors

Demba Ba left quickly in January after only four days of the transfer window, and he moved so quickly that the door didn’t even hit him on the way out.

And it’s likely the Senegal striker will get a bit of a hostile reception today – for a player who has been compared to a mercenary – one definition of which is a person “motivated solely by a desire for monetary or material gain”.

Be that as it may – we’re still thankful for the 29 goals this lad scored for us over an eighteen month period.

Alan Pardew was asked about that release clause – which eventually led to him leaving Newcastle:

“I have no opinion about it other than to say we’ve missed him. We didn’t have Moussa and Yoan, we lacked a bit of power and presence in the team and in that period I don’t think we won a game. We went out of the FA Cup and lost two Premier League games so it was a blow to us.”

“The release clause went in because of the knee condition he has and we could never negotiate away from that.” “It was a similar position to Everton the other night (when an £8.6m deal for Leroy Fer collapsed) and you have to make a call.” “Whether we would do something different next time I don’t know.”

Hindsight is always 20-20 and it’s easy now to say that Newcastle shouldn’t have put the release clause in there, but at the time Newcastle were taking a chance on the striker – who had failed a medical at Stoke in the previous January.

And who would have thought Demba Ba would have been so good in the Premier League – although he has already scored 7 goals in 13 appearances for West Ham the season before, but failed to help them survive relegation, and left through a release clause he had in his contract at the Hammers – should they be relegated..

If we are to beat Chelsea today, we’ll need to keep Demba Ba quiet, very quiet, and we just hope we can get a win – as we did last season when a certain former striker Andy Carroll returned to St. James’ Park – and we took his Liverpool side apart 2-0.

A 2-0 win today would be fantastic.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Contracts · Demba Ba · Newcastle News · Premier League

43 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toon_Tom // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM

previous …

Graeme – i understand what you mean, but it could work as if we have our backs to the wall for periods it would effectively be 5 at the back with also Sissoko and Anita helping, or if we start to dominate and boss the possesion it would be a 3-6-1 formation to keep the ball and boss the midfield with Cisse keeping an eye out for thru balls catching them off guard.

Santon and Debuchy providing the width ofcourse..

“I like Debuchy Buchy, I like Debuchy Buchy, I like Debuchy Buchy – We like De……BUCHY “

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Ahhh, so that seventeen game losing streak was down to Demba Ba….now I get it.

• 3 croftus5678 // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM

on the slightly positive did you see what mbiwa was doing against villa ? when we was defending our 18yard box mbiwa was trying to pull them back up the pitch and defend higher up :-)

once this lad settled into the back line and gets respect off the players i think our standard of defending in tight situations will be a hell of a lot better now.

• 4 Hatem's better than Messi // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM

This man blames anyone and everyone except himself.
    He really gets on my tits.
    I wish we’d got rid of him. He’s a pratt.

• 5 papattack // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM

it sounds crazy to say we’re better off without him but i honestly feel we are.

demba and cisse at the same club just didnt work.

• 6 Graeme // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM

There must be some of that syrup still knocking about at the Toon – surely a “special brew” could be concocted for him as a “welcome back” gift!!!

Dont want to kill the poor sod – but an instant case of “the runs” wouldnt go amiss lol

• 7 Barras // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Toon_Tom

Haha! Loving the chant.

• 8 Graeme // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Croftus – Mbiwa is the real deal mate; He will soon have the back four kicked into shape, Collo included.

He is by far the best defender at the club, by some margin.

• 9 croftus5678 // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM

@2

hehehe
    contrary to what most fans think i actually think demba picked us up points in the bad times !
    he worked with very little creativity for most of it and a lot of the goals he scored if you had put cisse in his position with the way he was playing he would have skied the majority of them.

its only because we now have debuchy/cbaye/sissoko/marv/goofy in the team that cisse is getting the goals again.

when ba was in the team he was lucky to have one of those players in.

• 10 WWYCD // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I think I have worked it out Simmo is out of the team, Willo is out of the team and when u can’t find one on the pitch to the dug out we go scapegoat found and targetted

I fear for the ball boys if Pards leaves…Cabs will lead the attack obviously

• 11 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Hatem

I fail to see where he was blaming anyone for anything here. A classic case of you seeing something that isn’t there just to satisfy your vendetta against the man.

Change the record or people will not take you seriously

• 12 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Yo

It’s ridiculous isn’t it? Sooner or later the dinner ladies will be copping the blame for giving the players starchy lunches…

• 13 Jail for Ashley // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM

WW…,
    Interesting point, if Jonas doesn’t start today I wonder who the scapegoat will be, apart from Pards of course.

• 14 WWYCD // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Ruddy
    Any upset tummies and they are in for it mate haha

JfA
    I would say the rose tints would fall off for Marv or Santon tbh or we could return to the days of anti Perch marching

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Ruddy,
    I guess people read into things in different ways, we lost those three games because we missed Demba Ba, we lost the 18 he started in because of the woeful injuries and maybe we should have brought ONE more player in during the summer.

• 16 croftus5678 // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM

i say krull for his long hoofs forward :-)

• 17 ashwin say's // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM

anything but win is compromise against chelsea

mata,luiz,hazard,Obi Mikel and Victor Moses are absentees
    where as torres is misfirring

we have full squad and home game
    if we can’t win now ….. something is wrong.

• 18 saxonfenken // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:49 AM

It is a pity you do not listen to managers, they all say the same things, we were tired, I take a lot of positives out of that loss, To many games, not enough squad members, the youngsters have got to step up to the plate, every game is a cup a game.

It is manager speak to the press, but some of you seize on every word uttered by our manager as gospel, please give it a rest, we know your opinions as they are blogged 10 times a day like a worn record. by all means state your opinions, but not every five mins

• 19 Hatem's better than Messi // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:51 AM

@Ruddy Marveaux-lous

That would mean I’d become like you. Shut the f up. Telling people what they can post.

• 20 magpie6699 // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM

ashwin – mata is playing.

• 21 check the toastie // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM

If Jonas doesnt play today, we will play well and nobody wil be to blame, its as simple as that really. However he will play and everytime the ball goes to him, any flow of good football will stop, he is a man off and should be replaced, Marv, Anita, even Obertan, he should be way down the pecking order.

Will give me a massive lift if his name is not on the teamsheet, dont mind Perchy playing think the lad is pretty competent and has loads of energy and is fit and professional, love the lad.

• 22 papattack // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM

im torn with the whole pardew good or bad debate.. on one hand his team selections (playing centre forwards as wingers mainly) and overly defensive subs sometime baffle me.

on the other hand though the first half against villa was the best ive seen us play all season, i think people should reserve judgment until the end of the season.

he now has a decent squad to work with and at the end of the day managers can only work with what they have, and players like williamson and simpson arent up to scratch and having fixture pile ups, injuries to key players, and a thin squad could ruin any team.

• 23 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:53 AM

JfA

To be fair to Pardew, he didn’t exactly say that we lost those games because we didn’t have Ba, he just said we missed his presence, something that I actually disagree with, good riddance to the bugger but due to lack of options as a result of losing him we did suffer which is what Pards is trying to say I think.

I also think AP has to be careful in terms of overly criticising the owner and MD, he owes his position to them massively and while they have (seemingly) acknowledged their failure to bring in top players in the summer by making up for it now, Pards still could have found himself out of a job so he can’t come out and blast the board for not backing him, even if it would be the truth so he opts for the “we missed Demba’s presence”.

It’s simply his way of placating the media and us fans with his mind games, when you watch his press conferences you know he is hiding what he really thinks, I just take it with a pinch of salt.

Yo

Perhaps that’s why Sissoko really had to be taken off against Villa…those damn dinner ladies microwaved one of MA’s leftover Gregg’s pasties and served it to him! No wonder the lad cramped up ;)

• 24 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Hatem

Erm where did I tell you what to post? Have you chosen to see something in what was written to serve your own purposes…yet again?

In the words of Michael Winner:

“Calm down dear, it’s just a blog” ;) I ad libbed that last bit but you get the jist.

• 25 Marty-Toon // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I’d say we need to keep Lampard quiet and it’ll change the game for us

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Ruddy,
    Jusr re-read your reply to Hatem, not a bad response but if you had of left out the change your record bit he wouldn’t have got so upset and then maybe he would have taken you more seriously.

• 27 Joe Blog // Feb 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Pardew puts far too much onus on the players. Is he indirectly saying he is pretty much redundant and contributes very little to our success/failure?

Good managers don’t continuously make these excuses, they get on with it. Didn’t see CH ever complaining about players while here, despite not having as good a squad permanently, than any ‘crisis’ period AP has had to ‘endure’.

He’s been trying reverse psychology (at least that’s what I think, maybe I’m ascribing too much thought to his waffle.) on our seasoned players and youngsters all season, almost every interview, putting them down and doubting them collectively. No wonder we’ve been playing without belief and pizazz, for the most part, the guy was beaten from the outset in August and dragged the squad down with him.

• 28 Hatem's better than Messi // Feb 2, 2013 at 11:01 AM

@Ruddy

Go away, don’t reply to my posts, I can’t be bothered with your need to control the board. Attention seeker.

• 29 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Feb 2, 2013 at 11:01 AM

JfA

Oh I’m well aware that that is what he has taken exception to, but surely saying to someone “change the record” shouldn’t be interpreted as me trying to dictate what he can or cannot write?

I’ve no problem with people having issues with Pardew or disagreeing with me but he wrote nearly word for word the exact same thing yesterday and it is really tiresome, I know I don’t have to read it but I for one cannot take anyone seriously when they just rabbit on the same stuff day in day out without fail.

• 30 magpie6699 // Feb 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I think we just need to keep Lampard, Mata, Ba, Ramires and Cole quiet and we’ll be fine.
    Guess what – I’ve just seen 2 lots of 2 magpies on my wall! Know what that means? I’ve got a lot of birdsh*t to clera up…

• 31 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Feb 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Hatem

Now who is trying to dictate and tell others what to do? In short, no I will not go away. I will also reply to whomever I see fit to respond to, if that includes you when the mood strikes then I will do so in a courteous and respectful manner. If you can do the same while entering into debate that would make the overall experience all the better for the both of us.

However, if you wish to throw your toys out of the pram and insist that I “go away”, then you’re really only showing yourself up as incredibly immature.

• 32 Lu-toon // Feb 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Ed

Think you need to change the headline to

Demba Ba needs to be wary of Newcastle today

HwTL

• 33 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Feb 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Also, if you think I am an attention seeker then surely the last thing you would do is to indulge me? Seems counter productive.

• 34 ashwin say's // Feb 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM

———-krull—————
    —–saylor,collo,mbiwa—–
    debuchy—————-santoon
    ————cabaye————-
    –marvo—sissoko—goufran—
    ———–cisse————

what a recipee to win….
    i think i should play football manager….
    any league offers to join..

• 35 numba9 // Feb 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM

i see pards came out with the old chestnut” we couldnt get a striker over the line” same old lame excuses, i do like the signings made but we needed a striker to replace the three we have let go in the last 7 months

• 36 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Good to see match day has brought us all together. United we stand!

oooo…a new thread….oh, it’s about Andy Carroll…

• 37 carl // Feb 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Ruddy– Control. Your ego is taking over. Repeat to yourself. Do not blow it or your back to square one!

• 38 carl // Feb 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Ruddy
    Self control. Many posters are seeking a reaction.

• 39 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Feb 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Carl

I appreciate the Mr Miyagi thing that you seem to have got going on but I think I can handle it ;)

• 40 papattack // Feb 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM

joe blogg

im not so sure, ive heard pardew admit to being responsible for losing games with poor subs. i think he has just been sending out signals that the squad is not strong enough and by citing it as the reason we’ve been losing games he’s been very clever and managed to get players in.

if we dont do well now with this squad, then pardew has to take sole responsibility. i think if we keep everyone and replace simpson williamson and get another top centre forward in this is a top 6 squad. minimum.

• 41 carl // Feb 2, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Ruddy
    You can’t. Think of me as your alter ego. Control your ego

• 42 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Feb 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Carl

I think you’re letting your ego run away with you so on that basis, as Duncan Bannatyne would say:

“I’m oot”

• 43 AmericanGeordie // Feb 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Enough about Ba being a mercenary. Was he a mercenary when he left West Ham for the Toon? If the Toon Army are fair, he should receive a cordial reception today at St James.

If moving to a bigger club for much more money makes you a mercenary, then what is Cabaye? Sissoko? M’Biwa? Debuchy? These guys left the only club they ever knew; ones they’d been with since they were children. Ba was at Newcastle for 18 months!

Fair play to Ba. Let’s move on!

Howay the lads!

previous post: Magpies Went From Two Center Backs To Four

next post: Magpies Interested In Andy Carroll – Should We Sign Him?