The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Class Act Demba Ba Thanks Fans For Support After Broken Nose

9:39 am, Sunday, February 3rd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 55 Comments

Much like returning striker Andy Carroll last year with Liverpool, when we hammered Liverpool 2-0,  Demba Ba came with his new Chelsea team yesterday, and they were defeated 3-2, and poor Demba Ba had to go off with what looked like a  badly broken nose – even after he tried to carry on.

demba ba - broken nose

Demba Ba - in pain with a broken nose yesterday

When Demba left the field in the first half, there were some boos but some applause too, as Geordie fans remembered the great 29 goals he scored  in the black and white shirt of Newcastle United.

And on his twitter account after the game, he thanked fans  for the good wishes, as he tweeted this:

“I thanks all the real fans for the nice messages i receive. And to all the haters….may god bless you!!! ;- good night.”

And while a lot of those fans will be Chelsea fans – there will be quite a few from Newcastle,  who will have wished the Senegal striker all the best.

We should also see Demba Ba playing in one of those face  masks to protect the nose  – if he is to keep playing while the nose mends – but he’ll be out a while with the injury.

Demba Ba is a good guy – and for one reason or the other – we couldn’t hang on to him – but he was great for Newcastle United when he was at the club, and he even thanked the Newcastle fans for their support, when he left the club on January 4th.

We’d like to think that we move on – and think back on some of the great goals Ba scored for Newcastle United – in the short time he was at the club.

After all, he was simply great when he was at Newcastle – fact!

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Demba Ba · Injuries · Newcastle News · Other News

55 responses so far ↓

• 1 Spuggy // Feb 3, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Full match replay

• 2 Spuggy // Feb 3, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Plays on ipad iphone too as it’s not flash based.

• 3 Tsunki // Feb 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Ibiza that smiley gun must be running out by now.

:D

• 4 Burni // Feb 3, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I was bitterly disappointed to hear our fans boo demba after what he did for us. I don’t care that he left when we were struggling. Who wouldn’t go to a more consistent team who pay better money? I was disappointed that his first trip ended up with him getting howked in the face and the reaction of some of the toon fans, jeering him and that, was, in my opinion, shocking.

But having said that. What a game eh? I had us written off at 1-2. But aye sissoko motm. Closely followed by gouffran and Jonas. Then cabs and santon. What a performance what a win just a bit sour the whole demba thing

• 5 toon1707 // Feb 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I don’t really care if he thanks us or not he moved on to a better team that we beat yesterday ha ha i love it and we have moved on so don’t care one bit anymore about what a Chelsea player has to say only bothered about my team and my players

• 6 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 3, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Tsunki….I can see where you may think that, but no ;)

• 7 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Match of the day and full game if wanted:

• 8 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Cheers Prodigy….Going to check that out as I missed the first half and most of the second half as Krul to be Kind and I decided I was carrying a curse yesterday.

• 9 veto // Feb 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM

was gutted to hear the boo boys have a go , demba is still our leading goalscorer this season , and yes we did offer hima new improved contract , but the euro champions doubled it , nobody would knock that back

• 10 JAMSHA // Feb 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM

SORY BA… ITS UR FAULT… EVERY PLAYERS THAT LEAVE NEWCASTLE NEVER LAST FOR LONG :-P

• 11 Newcastle Brown Alien // Feb 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM

sorry we put your NOSE out of joint, but FACE it, we are doing better without you

• 12 Abbott // Feb 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Its so much more obvious we are better without the selfishness play of Demba. He only wanted to get the goals for himself and never linked up good with Cisse.

In just two games Cissi is linking up very good with some totally new players like Gouffran. Its suddenly a team effort instead of Demba getting the odd goal…

I would take a team player like Gouffran any day of the week compared to a selfish player like Demba.

• 13 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Ibiza,

No probs. Carrying a curse haha?

Still buzzing from yesterday, thankgod we have turned a corner. That was one very low spell. Positivity is key.

Sissoko, what a player. I’v never seen ashley cole burnt like that. Dont think he believed it himself haha

• 14 JAMSHA // Feb 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM

GET WELL.SOON BA…N HOPE NXT TIME U NEVER COME BACK AT SJP… :-( OR U MIGHT GET ANOTHER

• 15 DaveD1000 // Feb 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM

My cheeks are killing me from this stupid grin that has been on my face since yesterday…..

• 16 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I would prefer it if we handled our ex- players in a completely different way.

Let me give you an example:

In the Dutch league, if a player is sold even to a rival hated opponent, he is mostly brought back and paraded before a match. There is normally a speech thanking the player and wishing him luck with his future career and success with his new Club ! ( But not against us )!

Compare this , if you will with the scenes yesterday afternoon when BA returned to try and continue, after the nurse had to put his face back in place on the side of the park!

I know which scenario i prefer !!!!

I sometimes get ashamed at the mentality of some of my fellow Mags!

• 17 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Prodigy…Well we were winning when I started watching, within in minutes Lampard got his goal and then Mata, so I walked out to get my cigarettes and we got one back. So off went the stream.

I did give up though and turned it back on about a minute before Sisokkos second, so I wont be putting myself through the whole ordeal again.

• 18 bollance // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Was Ashley at the game yesterday?

• 19 AS MAGS // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Any truth in the rumour that S.Taylor got a kicking in Whitley bay last night.

• 20 bollance // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM

For the wisecracks. Mike Ashley. Not Ashley cole.

• 21 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM

NEWEXPATMAGPIE…you only have to go two threads back and you’ll encounter people justifying Colo’s challenge on Ba, just because Ramires wasn’t booked or red carded for the two footed tackle on Guti!

…I honestly don’t want to be a part of this (it’s unbelievable)

• 22 bollance // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Ashley cole is still in sissokos pocket after that powerhouse run

• 23 Tino asprilla // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I was at the game yesterday and for the first 10 mins i thought obertan was playin brilliant loadsa effort from him he had the lot, THEN, i seen a number 11 on his back ha ha

• 24 JAMSHA // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:10 AM

FROM WEN DID ESPN TURN FOX SPORTS????

• 25 Newcastle for alltid // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I don’t think it was unfair to him that our fans booed him. Leaving in the middle of a struggling season is hardly popular, as it’s obvious that he cared more for his own career and money, rather than Newcastle United.
    That being said, I felt genuinely sorry for him when he lumped of he pitch, his nose clearly broken, and fans booed him. It’s important to remember where we would have been in the table without his goals – probably at the very bottom.
    I still think it’s a blessing in disguise that he left though. I think a chain of events started when he left, we failed to sign Remy for a lot of money (injured yesterday), which again lead us to spend money wisely on 4-5 players. Who knows, if we would’ve gotten Remy, would we sign Sissoko and Gouffran now? Probably not. The football that we play now has been given a new dimension with Sissoko and Gouffran, and I’m sure Yanga-Mbiwa will be a regular after a while. We seem to be able to play on a lot of different strings – high balls and along the ground. We can build our game around raw power, or a nice passing game. It’s been a special window and a special last two games, Jonas scoring and Sissoko proving his worth was just been the icing on the cake. All the emotions that seemed to flow from Jonas after scoring was overwhelming. I’m sure he felt somehow that a huge burden had been lifted from him. Sometimes you just have to sit back and let the footballing world unfold in its brilliant ways. January has been filled with highs and lows, but now I feel as if there are great times coming!

• 26 Pardews Parsnip Bonce // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM

@bollance benitez has released a statement asking Alan pardew if he can get sissoko to give Cole back from his pocket.

• 27 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Ibiza,

I’v changed my mind, don’t watch those highlights, we may get beat hahaha ;)

What a crack Demba took, just been watching on match of the day. Dear me, he didn’t miss him like.

• 28 LocalZero // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Still can’t get over how well we played yesterday and so good to have positivity surrounding newcastle again. Some players will rightly get the headlines but I don’t think a team can play like that unless everyone does their job as well or nearly as well as they can. Some dire ‘crosses’ from Jonas but otherwise the number of times he collected it on his chest and played it simple i lost count of. Perch too, breaking up play and making himself available for the simple pass to keep things going. Brilliant.

• 29 Jail for Ashley // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Jesus Christ on a bike Jesper,
    Get over it it’s football, he’s not dead and will probably play next week.

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Ton Prodigy,
    Cheers for that link, fuskin loved watching that again.

• 31 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:15 AM

@21:

Am not sure if your agreeing with me or not? But i believe my way, the Dutch way, has a lot of Class and is a much friendlier way of doing things!

Realistically , though it just aint going to happen, i say we move on as soon as the Media and Benitez will let us?

• 32 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Just watched the Colo/Ba incident. Yes he took one to the face and I can see why Chelsea may want a penalty, think Colo was fair to it though and wasn’t really that high, as people have been saying Ba went down for the ball.

Hard not to be biased and maybe if it was the other way round I’d be feeling hard done by.

Still, that’s football, life goes on.

• 33 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM

So thats Sunday sorted then, endless replays of the highlights.

How was the mood on the blog after the match, did it manage to turn in to a “so and so out” marathon?

• 34 Jail for Ashley // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Newexmag,
    If you weren’t at the game you will find it hard to get sucked in by the atmosphere, Demba Ba wasn’t getting any applause where I was sitting, the ‘real’ fans I think he was refering to were the deathly quiet blue ones in the Leazez end.

• 35 tequilamag // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM

On another day Colo could have been sent off but I did not see any intent on Colos part to hurt Ba. Not going to complain that we got a decision going our way. Shame to see Ba booed though, without his goals we would be bottom 3 without a doubt.

• 36 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Jail,

No probs.

Think everyone on MOTD was impressed with our new lad Sissoko. Great to watch. What a start he’s had. Well exceeded my expectations.

• 37 toonarmydownsouth // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Jesper
    Ramires was booked mate,
    No ones justifying it, there pointing out that rafa should shut the fcuk up because his lad should of walked to, so the decision wasnt as pivitol as he is suggesting
    Secondly, if you are going to compare them, ramires is a late dangerous tackle in which he has left the ground and come two footed onto jonas’s standing leg, when you jump like that yoy mean it theres genuine intent
    Colo was ball watching and made a complete hash of the clearence, its not an intentional challenge

• 38 valle // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Listen, ex players get boo’ed. Just the way of things and fair enough if you ask me. You dont support opposing players, and he chose to be an opposing player. I would have liked us to show a bit of sympathy when he finally wendt off though, as they boo’s seemed a bit much at that point. The things is though, that some players like Sir. Les who was loved by the fans still got an applause when he wendt on and then got boo’ed when he got the ball. Why did he get an applause? Because the fans realized that this was a descent bloke who didnt leave because he was gold diggin. Ba might have scored goals for us, but he is nowhere near Sir Les on the other parts. It was obvious to most fans that he was playing for himself and that top dollar move all season. Scoring goals, yes, but refusing to play Cisse even when he was free for a goalden chance.

• 39 LocalZero // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Maybe losing Ba was a blessing in some ways… at least for that game. I think we’d have still been trying to play both him and Cisse and the balance of the team would have been wrong. Now we look like a proper team. On current form Ba might have scored where Cisse didn’t but at least Cisse is hitting the target especially at the Reading game where he was unlucky. He’s due a brace soon.

• 40 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Ibiza,

I popped in during the match but was out celebrating last night. There was plenty to be cheerful about!

Alot of people were slating Pardew and jonas before the game. Then up stepped Jonas with a goal. Was hilarious in here.

Its all good banter!

• 41 tequilamag // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Valle listen?? is it OK if I just read. I doubt very much whether Ba could give a toss whether fans booed him or not. Personally I don`t bear the man any bad feelings. Players come and players go but some people act like little schoolboys whos first gf has just left them.

• 42 beddersmag // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Ok so i have watched the full game on live stream and then sky football first as well as motd and heres my opinions. Cisse worked harder and played fairly well but should have scored and needs more goals and confidence. Gouffran looks a much better option than what we have had and works hard with pace. Sissoko is pure class, lets use him like a ya ya toure or fellani and do without shola (thank goodness we no longer need to rely on him). Jonas experience was crucial and best game this season. Wow maybe putting a right footed player on the right might be an idea (hes not the type to cut inside from the left and score so im not buying that argument). Perch is seriously underrated in dcm role and did great. Cabaye makes us tick but weak on lampards goal.The two full chs look solid when we play them together. Did you see saylor at final whistle. Thats what it means to this kid. Debuchys best game yet. Has real pace and purpose. Krul could do nothing about the wonder goals. Ok leaves me with santon. Second in motm votings and set up a couple but this kid worries me. I was screaming at the tv a couple of times when he went missing up front. Totally ignores the old arsenal string approach to team defending with the key being one full back attacks at a time. Greatgoing forward but imo costing us more defensively at the moment and needs to sort himself out a bit. Honestly at one point chelsea have us outnumbered on counter down right, colo is looking round for support and santon is jogging back. I kid you not.lots of people voting him motm do you miss this or choose to ignore it?

• 43 LocalZero // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Also, Cisse’s part in the last goal was excellent. Should get credit for that. Made Terry look like a twat and then a perfectly weighted pass.
    Cannot wait until Tiote is back. Him and Sissoko in midfield will destroy some teams and intimidate all of them!!

• 44 KrulG4ME // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Can’t help but laugh at the people who think its wrong to boo ex players. Who do you pay to watch win games NUFC or their ex players ? Get real.

The fans do this to get a reaction ie Carroll and Enrique v Liverfool last season. Which 9/10 times works out well for the our team.

Look at the results 2-0 v Liverfool last season and 3-2 v Chelski yesterday. On the flip side Nolan gets no such treatment and what happened then ? He scores the winner against us.

Sorry like but while Ba did a job when at the club he is gone now and if a few boo’s can get to him for the good of Newcastle United am all for it.

I do however feel its unfortunate for him to receive a broken nose and wish him a speedy recovery.

• 45 toonbrother // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM

he can go to hell. Im glad he;s gone

• 46 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:36 AM

In regards to Ba,

He was pretty disrespectful to the club and the fans. He comstantly missled us.

I think thats the reason for the boo’s. He showed no class during his time here and he got it in return when he came back. Quite deserved I thought. It was always coming.

While im sure everyone will thank him for the goals, we geordies don’t like seeing our club treated in such a manner.

• 47 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Feb 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM

@34:

I was,nt at the game itself , no your right but i did watch it live .

The way of dealings in Holland is friendly and has its charm but it would in no way work in the Brit Footballing Culture. A lot of the big clubs work that way here. All it costs is ten minutes before a game and a bunch of flowers, its meant to be a thank you from the fans for the memories, bla,bla ,bla !

If you even suggest a similar thing here in UK then some of the Brit supporters in the English and Scottsh Leagues would find it confusing, and that you were bonkers ! No way it would work?

But, having said that, it does have style and when a player returns with his new club then Booing does occur after that on future visits!

• 48 mrmcgee // Feb 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM

The problem is with all of these Sopcast Sofa fans having a go saying how disappointed they are that Ba got booed. If you were actually at the match you would have saw the standing ovation amongst some boos he got.

All these chelsea comments about how Colo should have been sent off have quickly forgot about David Luiz last year when he should have been sent off after 4 mins… in a game we went on to lose our 2 centre halves, resulting in defeat to chelsea then norwich in the resulting game.

• 49 miggy // Feb 3, 2013 at 11:12 AM

he plays for chelsea now so no loyalty towards him now shame bout his nose what was he thinking trying to head collos boot like that we should o had a free kick for that

• 50 toonincheek // Feb 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Demba knows well enough from his time with us
    that we boooo any previous NUFC players when
    they return (and anyone who played for a team a
    bit south of us).
    It’s a tradition – not disrespect.

• 51 one Tony Green // Feb 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM

@Mr McGee what a great post. 95% of the watchers on this site are not fans as they never bother following the team yet consider themselves expert on all things Newcastle United.

• 52 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Feb 3, 2013 at 1:35 PM

@48:

I could react to your ridiculous Post but i don,t see the point!

Alot of these “so Called” Sopcast Sofa Fans you over have probably grew up hanging on to their fathers hands in the Leazes end like i did in late 60,s and most of the 70,s !

You were most likely not yet born, so i don,t really feel the need to react! Oh Shit, silly me, i just did! Bollocks!

• 53 davis_toons // Feb 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Ba was brave for the ball and put his head in to attack it. Colo got every rights to go for it.

Boos..was ok. if it helps the team, that so much the supports can do..and if it helps.

Still after the game we will hopes BA recover well as a person/ player.

• 54 Spotlight Kid // Feb 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Very disappointing (and ashamed) to hear ANY booing against a player who provided the main offensive springboard last season, and remains the sole reason NUFC aren’t in the bottom 3 this season. Looking through many of these posts simply reinforces how much the game has changed from one of appreciating the football on offer while supporting the team, to one of utter blindness to the virtues of any player not in B&W stripes.

It is worth noting that on September 3rd 1931 the record attendance at St James’ Park was set at 68,386 (with many more in the ground unrecorded as they climbed over the walls and thousands locked out). The opposition was Chelsea, the reason was the return of one Hughie Gallagher who while at NUFC scored 143 league and cup goals in 174 appearances. He lead them to the old Div1 title as captain (still the last time the club won it); and they certainly didn’t scale those Gallowgate walls to boo him either…

Remember, football has always been a game of journeyman pros, all we can ask is they give their all for the club when on that pitch. Demba certainly did, his scoring record is the proof. Respect seems to be too big a word to spell for too many fans these days.

• 55 9 // Feb 3, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Each to their own, but as a NUFC supporter, I would never boo Demba Ba. The Good Lord only knows what sh*t we would be in today without his goals this season, and what he produced for us last season – good luck to the lad. I MIGHT refuse a transfer for double or more my salary, but then again…………..

previous post: Brilliant Newcastle Deserve Plaudits For Fantastic Display