The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Youngster Is Pushing For First Team Place At Newcastle

9:27 am, Tuesday, February 5th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 29 Comments

We’ve noticed there’s pressure on players to even get on the bench these days, since our five Frenchmen arrived last month, but  19 year-old midfielder Gael Bigirimana has been a substitute in the last couple of games, and this lad has been another stellar signing for Newcastle, since we got him in last summer from Coventry City for just £1M last summer.

gael bigirimana I did it Wigan

Gael Bigirimana – after scoring against Wigan

Owner Mike Ashley still takes a lot of criticism at the club, but there’s one thing he’s done well since arriving almost six years ago, and that’s to build up the scouting system and hire Chief Scout Graham Carr, and Newcastle are becoming the envy of the football world with so many great signings the club have made over the last two or three years – for peanuts.

And whenever we’ve seen Bigi on the videos from the training facilities at Benton – like when all the Frenchmen arrived the week before last –  he’s always smiling and the youngster has just a wonderful temperament, but he”s also very determined to become a first team starter just as soon as possible.

This is what Bigi he said in the Newcastle Journal today:

“As a swimmer you don’t know how to swim if they don’t put you in at the deep end. That’s what’s happened this year.” “I haven’t played in the Premier League before but the gaffer has put me in this season and I am so grateful to him.”

“It is not enough for me to dwell on playing some games, I want to be part of it as soon as possible. For me, this season has been a test for me as a character because at times, I have thought ‘Here we go again’. I was relegated with Coventry and I know how terrible it is.”

“We have had to stick at it which is what we’ve done and now it feels like it is turning around.” “I have just got to keep working hard to show the gaffer that there is another option there. For me it’s been a great season because I’ve been involved in the Premier League – but now it’s even better because it’s about the team.””

For the record Gael Bigirimana has appeared 22 times for Newcastle this season with one terrific goal against Wigan.

Take a look at that goal.

This lad could well become a big star for Newcastle - and he’s not even French. :D

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Development · Gael Bigirimana · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Newcastle Youth

29 responses so far ↓

• 1 croftus5678 // Feb 5, 2013 at 9:32 AM

yep he’s good enough to be in a prem team for sure its just unfortunate for him we have so much quality there !
    definatly a starter for europe and cup games for me to try keep the lad happy.
    i would stick hairdryer/elliot/cambell/anita in them games aswell for sure.

• 2 Transfer Sage // Feb 5, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Great lad and he needs to keep playing. If we strengthen further in the summer in midfield he might need a loan to a prem league club if possible.

• 3 Graeme // Feb 5, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Biggi is a great young player; has proved beyond any doubt that he can do a job for us. He has been a revelation for a 19 year old.

There is no doubt he has a great future at NUFC

• 4 Transfer Sage // Feb 5, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Just been reading that Adil Rami might have to leave valencia in the summer due to their financial state.

Would be be worth a punt as a colo replacement if he returns to Argetina? He’d be 27 so a good 5 years for a CB

• 5 croftus5678 // Feb 5, 2013 at 9:35 AM

we could make him a striker he’s sure to get playing time then :-)

• 6 sirtoongospel // Feb 5, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Only gonna get better as he gets older and stronger. We have done good youngsters but they have to be looked after. With the way Pards integrated Santon and HBA, and how he seems he will do the same with Mapou, then I think the future looks bright. Mapou in particular will be some player, but hard to disagree with what Pards had done so far. Team spirit looks great.

• 7 saxonfenken // Feb 5, 2013 at 9:37 AM

This lad has a very big future, right attitude, and talking of smiles did you see his when celebrating the third goal on the touchline with the rest of the team,
    Also in the last two games, Colo has been one of the first to get to the goal scorer and hug him, shows he is committed

• 8 miggy // Feb 5, 2013 at 9:38 AM

sage love ur comment to be loaned out to a premier league team doesnt it just show what this lads all about great young man be a toon favourite in a few years time if not now

• 9 Spahndirge // Feb 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM

@Goodfella

Yeah, 2 cracking goals from Mertens

• 10 Transfer Sage // Feb 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM

miggy

I think at a newly promoted club or team near the bottom he would be a good regular player.

I think for us not getting many games or a consistent run could hinder his development. A spell at a team like wigan for a year would be great for him.

• 11 croftus5678 // Feb 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM

he was definatly a good trade for guthrie.

• 12 Goodfella // Feb 5, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Will only get better learning from the likes of cabaye and tiote not forgetting sissoko, he must be loving it in training

• 13 outsidethebox // Feb 5, 2013 at 9:46 AM

krull
    saylor mbai collo
    debuchy tiote santon
    ben arfa cabaye
    sissoko
    cisse

• 14 Goodfella // Feb 5, 2013 at 9:47 AM

@spahndirge
    i think Carr was in holland over the weekend if so hopefully he caught that game lol

• 15 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 5, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Croftus5678
    previous thread
    I am not taken it at heart – just a warning for fellow bloggers if the take juniors take ID just incase

• 16 Graeme // Feb 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Outsidethebox – A very nice looking team, VERY solid at the back – almost overkill lol

• 17 croftus5678 // Feb 5, 2013 at 9:54 AM

we have some great prem/almost prem quality really young players now :-)
    think we need cambell and to sign a few other younger strikers to come through though.
    i’d love to sign a 18-21yo dev team prospect at the end of the season.

• 18 LooneyToon41 // Feb 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Interesting Comments from Uefa regarding Financial Fair Play.
    I think most of us doubt that UEFA will really have the teeth to implement the rules properly, but :-

“Expert panels will assess the “fair value” of sponsorship deals and if related party transactions breach them, the relevant amount will be deducted from the break-even calculations”

And if Chelsea,Man City,PSG challenge this in court?
    Hmm, i don’t know. Time will tell.
    It won’t stop QPR spending of course, but i have a feeling that FFP shouldn’t be just brushed under the carpet, as most people think!

• 19 croftus5678 // Feb 5, 2013 at 10:00 AM

i do not see the need to punish any of the team that did so well in our last 2 games by dropping them for another untill they do something wrong.
    imo everyone played brilliant (even my pet hate guti who i still think we can do better with) but atleast guti improved that game with getting into the box and getting atleast 1 really good cross in the box (maybe he needs confidence)

• 20 Transfer Sage // Feb 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM

looney

I still think UEFA will kick out teams who don’t bring in the money for them. Man city might be a good example, not a huge following in england and less worldwide.

No matter what they say they wont risk losing sponsors by kicking out madric, barca, man utd etc

• 21 donkeypunch // Feb 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Gael Bigirimana lots of people have raved about him but i cant find no videos on him can sombody send a link if they have one cheers

• 22 Yorkgeordie // Feb 5, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Don’t know what you see in Bigirimana. He gives the ball away repeatedly and doesn’t acheive much going forward. Can’t say I am excited when he comes off the bench, more apprehensive. However he is very young and has been chucked in at the deep end so I’m perhaps expecting too much.

• 23 Transfer Sage // Feb 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM

yorkie

I think he tackles pretty well and has good energy, also isn’t shy and gets himself about.

Our passing as a team was poor in early parts of the season, we all offer many more options to whoever has the ball now which should help bigi if he gets a game.

• 24 dillondog // Feb 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM

For me he’s been a one of the plus points of an otherwise poor season,due to the injury crisis we’ve encountered ,I believe he’s been used much more than pards would have liked through shear lack of bodies considering his tender years ,a loan spell to a decent quality club where he can get some games under his belt and gain invaluable premiership experience would pay dividends for us in the long term.

• 25 croftus5678 // Feb 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM

if anywhere he should go on loan to the spl he would adapt very well there and build confidence.

• 26 Yorkgeordie // Feb 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I agree his tackling is ok and he has pulled off a couple of last ditch tackles which might have been possible goals. Really I’m just disagreeing with the title of this article. I don’t think he is ready for the 1st. team and like others have said, he should go out on loan.

• 27 JP...from The Rock // Feb 5, 2013 at 10:55 AM

To me he has been more impressive than Santon this season. At such a young age he already has shown he is capable of playing in the EPL along with the best. He is better than Guthrie ever will be from what I’ve seen and will continue to develop. I see him as Anita mark II. He is similar in style and does spread the ball well just like his Dutch teammate. His positional sense is very good unlike Santon I am afraid who is also one that has improved immensely this season but mainly that’s been on his attacking ability and not his defending. We have some very promising youngsters and I am eager to see young Campbell have a run out in a game we’re winning so he can come on and make an impression in the last 10-20 minutes of a match, maybe in the Europa League he’ll get his chance and scare a few with his blistering pace.

• 28 Sav // Feb 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I winced with embarrassment when the camera focused on Bigi during the last match and the commentator waffled on it was Yanga-Mbiwa.

• 29 likeajediknight // Feb 5, 2013 at 3:29 PM

haha @sav i saw that too. on bigi’s playing though gotta say hes a top lad, just needs to bulk up a wee bit and hes like a more mobile Scott Parker. amazing for 19, him n inman are our best academy players i think…

previous post: Cheick Tiote Likely To Be Substitute For Newcastle At Spurs