The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Fabricio Coloccini Situation At Newcastle Far From Resolved

9:29 am, Wednesday, February 6th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 34 Comments

Since failing to get his release from Newcastle last month Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini has put in two stellar performances for the side, and helped lead Newcastle to wins over Aston Villa and Chelsea last Saturday, and while Colo still has personal problems to do with his family, who are now back in Argentina, it just shows what a great professional the Argentine International is.

moussa sissoko winning goal cheslea

Coloccini as pleased as anybody at Sissoko’s winner against Chelsea

And Fabricio has been interviewed today and admits he came very close to walking out on the club, which would have been a disaster for Newcastle ate such a critical period, when the club was just two points above the drop zone – we are now 6 points above the drop zone following the two successive wins.

It’s quite a long interview he has given with Fox Sports while he is with the Argentine squad in Sweden, and this is some of what he had to say:

“I thought about walking out, but I changed my mind.” “It wasn’t about the money.” “There were personal reasons but the club and manager have been great.” “I’ve been away from home for 13 years and I miss it.”

“Now is about Newcastle United staying up – and we will.” “I love Newcastle United as a whole. I captain a huge club and I’m fully focused on helping to stay up.” The truth is that I am not thinking about my situation or what may happen in May or June.”

“I want to focus squarely on Newcastle. I think I owe them for the way they have treated me in the last five years, and I want to give my best on the pitch. And then, well, we’ll see later. The idea of returning to Argentina remains because I need to do that.”

It seems that Coloccini is missing home after thirteen years away – but it’s not clear what will happen in the summer transfer market, and whether a club there can come up with the £7M transfer fee Newcastle want for their 31 year-old captain.

But we don’t want this thing to be undecided until the end of August,  because if Colo is to go then Newcastle will need to bring in another top class center-back – so we are not left with only three center back, which have caused Newcastle a lot of trouble over the last two seasons, because of long term injuries to Steven Taylor.

We hope Colo can commit to Newcastle to serve out the remaining three years of his contract on Tyneside, but one thing is for sure – there will be no rocking of the boat by the Newcastle captain until the season is over – such is Fab’s complete professionalism – but it looks like his personal problem still has to be resolved.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Contracts · Newcastle News · Other News · Transfer News and Rumours

34 responses so far ↓

• 1 Kyo // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM

He’ll leave in the summer. Mbiwa Saylor partnership is our future although we still need cover for Saylor.

• 2 Newcastle Brown Alien // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:33 AM

douglas will be free in the summer? i can see us going back in

• 3 Transfer Sage // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Really glad colo has spoke out the past couple weeks about this.

We don’t need to know his personal problems but it’s nice of him to acknowledge what is going on and his commitment to us for now.

I’d happily see him leave in the summer, he has done a lot, been rewarded very well for it though, but if he really wants to go back home we need to find some sort of solution.

Whether they pay the full valuation upfront, pay it over a few years or transfer us a promising youngster. They could even set up a deal between clubs giving us access to their scouting in Argentina to look for hidden talent or maybe even give us options to sign their youngsters.

• 4 rainrix // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Can imagine he’ll leave in the summer, he obviously still wants out which is fine as long as he continues to apply himself to the end of the season.

Back on the HBA topic would anyone sell him if say PSG came in for 30million? I’d seriously consider it, i know he’s a one of a kind player but that kind of money could potentially make us a CL level club. Admittedly i wouldnt sell him to another english club, that would break my heart but if it was to PSG/Real i could handle it. :)

• 5 Transfer Sage // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Adil Rami is available for a lower fee in the summer as valencia are financially struggling.

Heard this on the preview of their barca game the other night on skysports.

• 6 Rotonda heights // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I’d be absolutely furious if Pardew allowed this. Benny is a once in a generation player.

Ben Arfa = skill, pace, assists, creativity, flair and a fair amount of goals. Plus he is the poster boy of our French contingent. I was lucky enough to witness the wonder goals v Bolton and Blackburn.

Carroll is just a big, injury prone, non – scoring, dark age target man and hoof ball magnet, not to mention a constant off field worry.

I’m not holding the money issue against him as in truth we would all have done the same probably. Trebling your wages is human nature. Being a Geordie, however, should have absolutely no bearing on anything.

Our fortunes have proved dramatically since Carroll left.
    the football we played v Chelsea was the best in a long time because we went back to how we were playing with the 433 last season with Cabs and Sissoko running the show. Going back to Carroll would be a massive backward step.

Rodgers knows what he is doing even if it takes a bit of time. Similarly Laudrup with Graham. Benny and Gouffran either side of Cisse, backed up by Cabs, Sissoko and Anita / Tiote will be something special.

If Carroll comes back it will be like it was for the first half of the season with the worst record for most long balls played.

• 7 croftus5678 // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM

i bet on him staying tie is the only healer and all that an he really looks like he’s enjoying footy here i can not see him wanting to leave this team.

on another note which of our players are cup tied and not able to play in europe ? i know goofy is but not sure on mbiwa/debuchy/sissoko.

• 8 Blaydon-Toon // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Good morning ! Can’t see this happening Liverpool are in transition and are no better than us …. Would have to be a massive free which Liverpool would be wary about as they have already had their pants pulled down for several player non more so than AC but add the likes of Borini Downing Henderson they really have paid way over the odds for very average players ha ha ha ha ! Hate them with a passion

• 9 Rotonda heights // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Troy

I remember you. I can’t remember which blog it was on now.
    You kept this particular wind up going on for ages. I can’t remember what it was about now, but I guess you got a lot of mileage out of it.

• 10 hotdog // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Fair play to Collo, at least he is coming out and saying it as it is. No bull which as fans is all we ask for right?

On Hatem going. For me there will be a big offer coming in for him in the summer, how we finish the season and any recruits at the end of the season will have a bearing. The damage of the none spend in the last summer window might already have made his mind up. He is a Champions League player and we cant knock him if he goes for that but Liverpool cant see it!

• 11 Santon03 // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM

He will stay here until his contract runs out after he goes back to Argentina at the end of season and solves whatever he needs to solve.

• 12 rainrix // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Guys the swap story is just a result of the guardian taking that vague interview benny did a while back and our interest in carroll and putting together a none story. Calm Down #Journalism

• 13 Rotonda heights // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:42 AM

look at what we can buy with 12m these days. Who in their right mind would blow that on Carroll now, when we’ve just bought 4 great players for roughly the same

We could probably get PEA for less than that.

• 14 croftus5678 // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM

@13

spot on m8
    goerdie player aside quality wise we can get a world class striker for that amount if not slightly under.
    why pay 12mil for an average striker !

• 15 Transfer Sage // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM

rotonda

I don’t want carroll either, not even on a free.

He isn’t the future of football. You can get target men who are food in the air but can also play football.

Look at llorent or ibrahimovich. Obviously we can’t get them, too pricey, there must be younger versions or under the radar players in that style.

It gives us a different dimension if needed but also doesn’t compromise the style of the other 9 outfield players.

• 16 Transfer Sage // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:45 AM

good not food

• 17 hotdog // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM

rainrix – I think most fans are taking the story with a “pinch of salt” but are commenting because they would be gutted if he goes. Anybody know how long he has on his contract?

BTW – How solid do we look without Willo, just saying :-)

• 18 TorqToon // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I think Colo will leave in the summer,

But I truly believe we will bring in Alderwield and Mirin. Both of whom have expressed interest from this club – and think highly of what Newcastle are trying to piece together.

• 19 Transfer Sage // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Torq

Them two would be great signings…would mean colo leaving and willo moved on I think.

That would give us everything we need in defence I’d say.

Then we can look to strengthen with a winger and a striker and we would be good to challenge top 4.

• 20 croftus5678 // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM

@17

it took 2 wonder goals from well outside the box to score against us (no shaky moments at all against chelsea ^^
    think mbiwa signing has helped motivate saylor though as he did look poor when he did play earlier in the season.

i really wanna see mbiwa play but it would be stupid to do so when saylor and collo are doing so well atm.

• 21 Blaydon-Toon // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Can anyone remember name of website for the half French / toon shirt ?

• 22 hotdog // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Blaydon – http://www.toffs.com/Newcastle_France-Le-Toon-Retro-Football-Shirt/productinfo/1536/

• 23 Blaydon-Toon // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Torq they would be amazing signings add a top striker and winger and. CLear some of the dead wood and we would have a squad to challenge top 4 but definitely top 8 side !

• 24 Blaydon-Toon // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Thanks hotdog !

• 25 TorqToon // Feb 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM

My big shout for French star of the future is a young lad called Yannis Tafer.

He is, an incredible talent. A very rough diamond, but I worked with him during a short stint he was on loan at Toulouse. He hasn’t been given a particularly fair shot of games at the moment, and now he is playing in the Swiss league for Lausanne-sport, he isn’t being developed properly, I feel. He has played for Lyon in the past, and as much as I hate comparisons, I can see many similarities between him and Karim Benzema. Just needs to be brought along better than he has done.

Still very much under the radar, but if anybody should see Graham Carr knocking about – drop this lads name into the conversation.

• 26 Magpie Myles // Feb 6, 2013 at 10:00 AM

The only reason I would take Carroll back would be to increase our Home Grown players as we need enough of them. But only for a max of 5-8 Mil.

Not worth more than that now i’m afraid Andy boy.

• 27 TorqToon // Feb 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Blaydon – We do need to shift some players on. I hope we keep hold of Amalfitano, as we haven’t seen anywhere near the best of him.

But the likes of willo, ranger wil leave.

And Sammi, abied, Tav and Good will thrive in loans next year.

• 28 Yorkgeordie // Feb 6, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Is it possible the club have promised Colo that he can go home when we reach a safe points total ? There must be a carrot for him to have changed his mind, it fits with him saying the club and Pardew have been great.

• 29 Jonas's better than Messi // Feb 6, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I think we all knew the situation wasn’t resolved.

Colo’s only here because the club’s lawyers said they’d come after him if he didn’t fulfil the terms of his contract.

He has to hope an Argentinian club comes in for him in he summer. He’s still worth a few million to the club.

• 30 geordiesteve520 // Feb 6, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I think he will go in the summer but I don’t think his destination will be Argentina, I don’t think the clubs are big enough nor can they pay him the wages he will demand/fee we will want. I reckon he will end up in Brazil, where clubs have an awful lot of money these days and can afford to pay him and us, plus it is much closer to home for him.

• 31 karasu // Feb 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I don’t mind Andy. Andy’s underrated on the ground and he’s pretty much better than all our forwards in the air. Lets not be duped by how poorly he played for Pool and remember how well he played for US. 5m would be fair considering how far his reputation fell.

• 32 Sav // Feb 6, 2013 at 11:31 AM

More to this than ‘homesick’ though. Like all footballers, Colo has from April to July off if he retires from the national side. Thats more facetime with his missus than most working blokes get (or want, ahem!) and at 31, another 3 years will leave him still a young man rich enough to live wherever in the world he fancies living. And if the less charitable rumours are true, he has responsibilities on Tyneside as well as in South America. Is Mashley charitable enough to write off 6 million so Colo can ‘play for his boyhood club’? We’ll see.

• 33 ArtyH // Feb 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Sav I see where you are coming from and think it strange the long contract was signed last year and now this, smoke>fire? IMHO he will leave just depends on what arrangements are/can be made.

• 34 toonicle // Feb 6, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Give the guy credit for helping us finish off the season well, he’ll be off in the summer but no hard feelings at that point. 13 years is a long time away.

previous post: No Way Newcastle Will Let Ben Arfa Leave In Summer