The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle A More Attacking SideThan Toulouse – Sissoko

10:43 am, Wednesday, February 6th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

Newcastle have made some great acquisitions over the last two or three years but none could be better than the deal that took Moussa Sissoko to Newcastle for just £1.8M last month – what an absolute steal – and the initial plan was to bring the lad in during the summer as a free agent but Newcastle wanted him last month – and Sissoko wanted to come – and in just two games for Newcastle and two wins – Moussa Sissoko is already a hero on Tyneside.

moussa sissoko scores Chelsea

Newcastle United’s great Moussa Sissoko

Moussa could line up with Yohan Cabaye tonight in France at the Stade de France – when the home side takes on Germany – after news around France over the weekend when Moussa was simply brilliant for Newcastle when we beat the European Champions Chelsea 3-2 with two comeback goals from the 6’2″ French International – in a game for the ages – so it’s hardly surprising that Didier Deschamps wants to start the 23 year-old tonight.

Moussa had this to say today in the local Newcastle papers:

“I could never have imagined making such a good start to my time at Newcastle. My first home game was against Chelsea, the European champions, and we managed to win and scored two goals.”

“I was very happy on a personal level, although it was a collective performance from the whole team. We all played a big game.” “At Newcastle, I have been asked to take the game to the opposition. I am playing in a more forward role and I can express myself.

“This is the championship for me. This is the one that fits my style best. The last few weeks at Toulouse were not easy, so when Newcastle offered me the chance to join in January then I did not hesitate.” “I know it is a very good club and I am still getting to know it.”

“It was not a surprise to play in the No 10 role as I discussed this with the manager Alan Pardew when I first arrived. He told that would be my role in my first two matches.” “I had already played there with Toulouse so I knew the position and I did my best. I think playing there for Newcastle will help my progression.”

“Toulouse is a good team with quality players, but offensively there were some difficulties – even if this season was better than the previous one.” “With Newcastle, the team is really more focused on going forward. It is better for me to show my qualities.” “I am happy to be with the squad.”

“So many positive things have happened to me recently and I hope I can continue this with France.” “I have a lot more experience than when I was first called into the French squad.” “I feel much better as a footballer compared to my first few appearances.” “Back then I was young and shy. I didn’t dare to take any risks.

“But after everything that has happened to me, I will show all my qualities if I am called upon to play.”

Alan Pardew had promised Newcastle fans two years ago when he first arrived, that he would play good attacking football as the Newcastle manager.

And after almost three months of losing 10 league games out of the 13 played, we have finally got back into playing some good attractive and attacking football – with that long high ball into the box nowhere to be seen.

It’s a good start for this new Newcastle side, but we now have to see how we can get a win at White Hart Lane on Saturday afternoon – and certainly Moussa Sissoko will be a big part of the game for Newcastle.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 magicbus // Feb 6, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I`d happily settle for a draw if it was offered now.

• 2 Transfer Sage // Feb 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM

magicbus

I wouldn’t settle for a point offered now.

I think we have the quality to win, however so do spurs so could go either way. I just think 1 point now isn’t that important, rather gamble on the 3.

• 3 saxonfenken // Feb 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I do not think it was a work of a genius to play Moussa as a number 10, To me it stuck out like a sore thumb. I just hope and pray all our players come back fit.

• 4 Blaydon-Toon // Feb 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Magicbus I would too 7 point return from 2 away games and home win against the champions of Europe all day long … I said previously 5 points would have been great so any points picked up at the weekend is a real bonus ! Think keeping Bale quiet is obviously the key to us getting a result … Close him down quickly and force him onto his right foot is a must so hope Pards has out defence and midfield drilled to neutralise and limit the damage he can cause !

• 5 Transfer Sage // Feb 6, 2013 at 10:59 AM

blaydon

I thought 5 points would have been good also.

Now we have 6 we might as well take the game to spurs.

• 6 TorqToon // Feb 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I think if we silence Bale – we stand a chance,

But we need all our boys back from a ridiculously timed international break unscathed, and then set up exactly like Chelsea.

Force bale and Lennon back down the pitch, tayls to keep Adebayor quiet and stick perchy on Lewis Holtby…

Then let cab’s, Sissoko and Gouffran pile pressure on the spurs backline!

• 7 Blaydon-Toon // Feb 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I hear what your saying transfer I’m not saying sit back and play for a draw as you said it can go either way really but if you said to me now a point a WHL I would take it and move on ! I’m almost certain we will score from a corner to break another duck so score draw will do me a win however would be dreamland 9 points from three games :-) :-) :-) think my Mrs Blaydon would be in for a good night too !

• 8 donkeypunch // Feb 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM

had to laugh when i read this. The madness of this proposal from a Liverpool point of view can best be summed up by a price tag of 35m quid for Ben Arfa, a talented player for sure, but no world beater. Nor is Carroll, the Scousers will object, but Carroll has the potential to win more matches than Ben Arfa. What about from Newcastle’s perspective? Well if Ben Arfa is worth say ten million, this represents a fantastic deal for the Magpies. [LMAO try 20 plus carrol] then newcastle might do the deal

• 9 Transfer Sage // Feb 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Torq

I think Bale will struggle against us. He is being played in the hole behind the striker of late and he is good but has less room there. Against us with cabs, perch and sissoko in the middle I think he will get cramped for room and might struggle.

Will be hard work but could stop him.

• 10 TorqToon // Feb 6, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Sage – Absolutely! Very possible indeed!

Donkeypunch – I LITERALLY just read that!!! Obviously written from a west ham viewpoint – which just shows how little they know about football. HBA valued at £10mil, Carroll ‘valued’ at £35mil??!

Howay…get a grip, man!

• 11 Transfer Sage // Feb 6, 2013 at 11:12 AM

donkey

some people write utter rubbish. The amount of journos who get basic info wrong about players outside the big clubs is unreal.

blaydon

I know what you mean, we should go for it, but i’d not take a point if offered, i’d rather gamble haha. Although a point is not a bad result.

• 12 Blaydon-Toon // Feb 6, 2013 at 11:14 AM

If that happen transfer regarding Bale I think he will shift out wide and could cause Debuchy all sorts of problems but then the answer is to cut out the supply to him … If Bale was not playing I would say we would be favourites but he is on fire at the moment so still take the daw !

• 13 Transfer Sage // Feb 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM

blaydon

If he does move wide I think debuchy has a good chance to contain him, he will know a lot about bale, everyone does so will know not to get too tight.

Also jonas on the right will offer a lot of help to deal with Bale.

• 14 Blaydon-Toon // Feb 6, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Believe it or not transfer I’m a gambler by nature but this is just to tough to call given all factors so playing it safe for once which makes a change for me :-)

• 15 kimbo // Feb 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM

To all those who criticise my statement that Anita was not good enough for us,too small too slow etc and we needed tall strong fast midfielder .
    Well look what has happened ….2 wins with a tall, powerful, fast player .
    Do I need to say any more.

• 16 Troy Stavers // Feb 6, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Anyone interested in listening to joe Kinnear being interviewed on talksport. He’s on now.

His first quote was that he believes he sorted a lot of problems out and believes he would still be there now if he hasn’t become Ill. :-D

• 17 ArtyH // Feb 6, 2013 at 11:30 AM

If Carrol wants back at the toon he can make that happen but not at the cost of Benny. Carrol is not universally liked due to how he left, but to be traded no matter how for Benny would torpedo his career. Benny is far to well liked up here.

• 18 toonincheek // Feb 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I wouldn’t say HBA was “well liked”.
    Try ‘loved’ or ‘worshipped’ or ‘idolised’.

• 19 ArtyH // Feb 6, 2013 at 12:03 PM

toonincheek yes M8 pardon my French.

• 20 toon kk // Feb 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM

So pleased to get a bit of pace into the team. Also The diffence seems much stronger without Williamson in.

• 21 geordiesteve520 // Feb 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I am optimistic about this one – although I was optimistic about the trip to WHL last year. I think the game changer for us is going to be Goufrann here; the Spurs CB pairing is pretty pedestrian and him playing off the shoulder will cause Vertongen and Dawson problems all day – throw into the mix Defoe and possibly Adebayor not playing and we have a right to be optimistic, but cautiously so. I think this may be a game to have both Perch and Tiote holding and play one upfront with Cabaye and Sissoko supporting from deep.

• 22 widowmagandapoke // Feb 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM

If we come back injury free from these daft frinternationals I think we could edge the game on Saturday.
    There are more players than Bale to worry about though.

• 23 davis_toons // Feb 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM

If Ben Arfa is back then it will be very exciting to play Spurs.

previous post: Yohan Cabaye Is Simply The Best