The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Transfers Getting Harder For Us In France – Llambias

10:57 am, Thursday, February 7th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 8 Comments

There was news today that Newcastle will be concentrating on Holland to bring in a new influx of players this summer, and that makes sense, especially when Managing Director Derek LLambias has said it’s getting harder now for Newcastle to do business in France.

derek llambias in black suit

Derek LLambias – getting harder to do good deals in France

It’s one of a number of exclusive interviews the Evening Chronicle has out today with Derek LLambias, and this is what he said about the French market for transfers:

“At the end of the day it is a market which excites us.” “We have to explore other markets, though, which we do. We are still going to other markets.” “We keep an eye on the UK market too. British players are very expensive, which is a factor for us.”

“What is fantastic about our fan base and Newcastle is they are embracing it.” “Football is entertainment, it is passion. They know we have found a niche and they have bought into that.” “It is getting harder for us in France.”

“One President of a club said: ‘What are you doing with all the French players?’” “I said: ‘Eventually the national team will just send their plane to Newcastle and collect them from here!’” “He laughed – while he was twisting my arm for more money!”

And news that over 1,000 French berets have sold out at the club shop, but most French clubs are now wise to Newcastle, and when we come a knocking for a French player in the future, they are likely to raise their price – simply because it’s Newcastle.

So look to see a few deals done in other countries in the summer including Holland, Belgium and Germany.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Contracts · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jonas's better than Messi // Feb 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM

A safety valve failure during his colonic irrigation is too good for Llambias.

• 2 Troy Stavers // Feb 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Holland produce some fantastic players and if they can do in Holland what they’ve done in France then it all bodes well.

• 3 Troy Stavers // Feb 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I always imagine Owlheed to speak as if he’s been sniffing helium.

• 4 Troy Stavers // Feb 7, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Having that image in your mind, go back to the quote and read it.
    Now I’m beginning to like Owlheed. :-D

• 5 ColchesterNUFCfan // Feb 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM

PARDEW the MOTIVATOR

Following a first half season littered with dissapointment I can now admit to setting up my Fifa team once again with the blessed Toon. Bolstered by our new signings (plus Bony & Aubamayang just to be sure) and perched comfortably in 2nd place behind Chelski the feel good factor is once more back in virtual SJP.

But after two good wins that showed we are once again playing football deserving the black and white shirt I wonder what the near future holds for the team, supporters and, ultimately, the manager.

As an avid reader of the NUFC blog it seems the majority of fans are still waiting for a slip up from ‘Pardinho’, their faith from last season long gone and wanting to berate him at every opportunity for his lack of tactical nouse.

I like Pardew. He unassumingly goes about his business and, aside from the occasional entertaining (or cringeing) outburst I feel he is undoubtedly a great man manager- motivator. And that’s what it’s all about, this football game. Send out a demotivated team of world class players against an Odlham, Brentford or Leeds bristling with enthusiasm and fight and we’ve seen what can happen in the cups this season. Motivation is everything!

Footballers are just men (or women), all blessed with great stamina and physical ability in the modern game throughout whichever league we choose to watch. The greatest players have that little bit of extra va va voom, that extra trick, skill or string to their bow. But these 11 men make up the sum of the whole, the team.

What I think Pardew has proved in recent weeks is that he understands the psychological side of the game. Take our new signings and the new look team. Buying in so many fresh recruits has throughout history unbalanced and demotivated many teams. But by retaining James Perch in midfield (albeit deserving of his place) he sends out a strong statement to the existing members of the squad that if you perform well you are as much of his plans as any of the French revolution. So the NUFC stalwarts are still on side! By then playing Sissoko and Gouffran in the squad he eliminates any negativity that may arise from the fact that they cost considerably less than the big signing M’Biwa, who has to wait for his chance in front of Steven Taylor, who’s worth is reinforced by the faith the manager has put in him.

Now whether these are circumstantial tactics or a psychological decision by the gaffer we have a motivated team who now feel there is everything to play for as their places are only under threat in relation to the amount of heart they put into any given game.

The recent Chelsea victory was amazing but I think we can draw more inspiration from the performance that came from within the Villa game. A true game of two halves I’ll focus of the second 45 where we battled like warriors for the entire second half. We saw a bit of everything in this game but what I think spoke volumes is that this was a team truly fighting for their manager, a team with fragile confidence but amazing desire to please everyone within and outside the club.

Several weeks ago we would have undoubtedly lost both of these games but the injection of a few (time will tell) great signings was what was needed for Pardew to recommence his psychological ‘fluffing’ of his team.

Everything is set up for us to truly compete next season so for now I’ll proudly pick my Black and White Fifa team over any other for the duration of this season.
    Oh and by the way… we do still need another striker!

Thoughts welcomed. Dom

• 6 toonincheek // Feb 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Nah – it’s just that Graham Carr is getting bored with France and fancies spending a bit more time in Holland!

• 7 Blaydon-Toon // Feb 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Good post Dom @ Colchester ! Ps I live in Ipswich do you go too many games ?

• 8 JP...from The Rock // Feb 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Dom-ColchesterNUFCfan- I completely agree and I too have recently updated my Fifa 13 squad with the new signings :) I’ve started manager mode and injuries are taking it’s toll but I have to buy a striker- just like in real life- as Cisse is not up to scratch. Gouffran keeps banging them in though.

On the real side of things, I fully back Pardew and he’s impressed me with his great man-management that most on here tend to ignore. It’s very easy to criticise from this side of the fence but Pardew knows what he’s doing with each player and is using them very wisely. He knows the players inside out and any new manager would have to learn all that from scratch and might mess things up be it Mourinho or whoever. I want Pardew to stay as we have cried out for stability for years and he has my trust and of all our players too.

In Pardew I Trust.