Mathieu Debuchy The Real Star At Newcastle – Pardew

Mathieu Debuchy arrived in early January from Lille, and the French International has now played four full games for Newcastle,  and it’s fair to say he’s improved in every one of them,  and against Chelsea last saturday, he put in a great performance as part of a stalwart back four, and we had that great picture of Mathieu and Steven Taylor after the game – shown below – a really great picture of the big two fighters at the back for the Magpies.

steven taylor - mathieu debuchy after chelsea win

Steven and Mathieu – comrades in battle against Chelsea

Of course Mathieu didn’t get the full  credit he deserved for that great performance last saturday, because all the news was about a certain Moussa Sissoko, who had famoulsy introduced himself to England by putting in  a terrific and powerful performance for the Magpies,  and his two goals after we had gone 2-1 down in that seiocdn half gave Newcastle a famous victory

Mathieu’s good form has not gone unnoticed by manager Alan Pardew, and he had this to say today in the Shields Gazette:

“Mathieu’s answering a few more questions.” “In my opinion, he’s been as good as anyone who’s walked into this football club.” “It’s more difficult in the Premier League for defenders, trust me.”

“The amount of work and discipline you need to have as a back four is harder than in any other division in the world. He’s done very, very well.”

“Yoan’s still only played two games.” “There’s a question mark over him and Moussa.”

And notice that Alan is not getting carried way with the two excellent performances of Moussa Sissko and Yoan Gouffran either, and they’ll have to put in similar performances tomorrow at White Hart Lane if we are to keep our recent revival going.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• saxonfenken

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Should have been here in the Summer of last year

• UpTheRoad

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM

C’est magnifique! Confident we can get something at WHL but we need to nullify Bale – he’s been nothing short of exceptional for Spurs.

• nufc 11

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Iam not getting carried away lets just see what they leave with the lane with big big test, bale will have to be marked out of the game to get anything, Colo form concerns me, santon shakey too hopefully they can pull themsevles together tommorow big big ask tho.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:29 AM

uptheroad

He has been very good but recently he played central in the number 10 role.

I think with the pace of sissoko and the tenacity of perch and cabaye we can stop him and make them run out of ideas.

Also santon will do ok keeping up with lennon which will be a big help, just have to make sure he stays focused all game.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM

nufc11

man utd only got a point down there so it’s not an easy place to go.

It’s one of the hardest away games this season.

But some teams have shown if you go there, play well and the 50/50 decisions/events go your way you have a chance of 3 points

• fergies left foot

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:34 AM

just bought my ticket for the Southampton-game. First time back in Newcastle and St.James Park since 2003!! Cant wait!!!

• UpTheRoad

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM

He can be stopped but we’ll need to be disciplined. I wouldn’t be surprised if Tiote was chucked on 2nd half to man mark him.

• ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM

In the handful of games Debuchy has played. He has been more of an attacking threat then Simmo all season.

That isn’t to say i hate Simmo. He was crucial last season with multiple off the line clearances,. He is also a hard worker, but hard work can only get you so far. Debuchy is just naturally more imposing when attacking.

• Graeme

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM

The quickest way to stop Bale marauding down the wing is surely to attack them? The more he is called upon to defend his side of their box, the less chance there is of him causing problems at our end!!!

He may be a very good defender; he may also be a superb wing-back – but he cant do both at the same time!!

• danuneek

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Team for tomorrow:

————————–Krul————————-
    Debuchy——Taylor——–Colo———Santon
    —————Tiote————Cabaye————-
    Gourfran————Sissoko———–Marveaux
    ————————Cisse————————-

• danuneek

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM

It will probably be same as last week though…

• NobbyNolano

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Attack is the best form of defence. If we pin them back, they’ll struggle especially without the pace of Defoe up front. However we’d have to be wary of their counter attack. I’d be surprised if Perch is dropped, he’s been solid the last few games and Tiote has been inconsistent this season. We need discipline and I don’t think we should put Tiote in the starting XI just in case we have one of his mad moments.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

graeme

Thats true but bale has recently had a more free role in behind the striker so he would still be dangerous as he doesn’t need to track back as much.

Then you have players like lennon who can counter quickly and put is in all sorts of danger.

I agree we can’t just go and sit back and need to offer and attacking threat, just need to get the balance right. I think we did that against chelsea which helped.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM

danuneek
    If all fit start with the same 11 non deserved to be dropped after Saturday’s display
    fergiesleftfoot
    If atmosphere and toon’s display anything like last Saturday – i’ll bet it won’t be another 10 years

• toon1707

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I am fairly confidant we won’t lose the game I would be a little bit less confident if Defoe was fit as he is a constant threat. I think if we can keep bale quiet or keep him off his left foot and keep pushing him on to his right we will win by a 1-0 win if we let bale constantly get at our back 4 I think we will get a 1-1 draw. I know spurs have other high quality players other than bale but I just think we can contain the others like we did against Chelsea the two they scored were superb from distance they never once opened us up to be honest

• Graeme

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM

TS – and there is now absolutely NO doubt that we can provide an attacking threat – just ask Chelski!!

Just keep Bambi well away from the starting 11 lol – in fact his time would be better off organizing his testimonial match!!

• Wayayman

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Totally agree about Bale needing to be attacked rather than letting him do the attacking.

I’ve never been so ‘up’ for a game away from home before. So optomistic following the last two weeks. Despite living in a Spurs area and about 4 miles from the ground I won’t be there tomorrow (couldnt get a ticket, like hens teeth)
    but I’ll be praying for some packback after what happened last season. Horrible time to be living here, especially with my 10 yr old boy a massive toon fan who wears his shirt at every opportunity regardless of how we’re doing. He had the pee ripped out of him for about a month at school.
    Mind you, he did enjoy Monday chatting to the Chelsea supporters at school. Hopefully he can walk in there this week head held high again!

• ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM

In what world does Tiote deserve to just walk into the team? He has been poor for the majority of the season, god knows what secret weapon the other teams have made to counter his Gamma Radiation, but the lad on recent form for us should not automatically start.

Both Anita and Perch, who have filled in for him have put in Solid performances consistently when they have played and either one of them deserves to start ahead of tiote. If the lad wants to be in the first 11, he has to work for it.

Good player, Under performed majority of this season.

• Wayayman

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM

btw, Lennon ripped Simpson a new one at our place in the first game of the season. Newver seen a defender offer a lightning quick player so much space to run into with the ball. I’m looking forward to seeing how Debuchy deals with it as he’s got a football brain and knows not to give him so much space.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM

phoenix

I can’t see tiote walking back into the side. I think pardew will stick with the same team as last 2 matches and tiote will be on the bench.

• Toon-Prodigy

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I think now is the time time to drop Tiote in. We’re due a big performance from him and i don’t think there will be a better time.

Im not expecting big things from this match and im forcing my hopes at bay.

A draw and i’ll be over the moon as it would be a fantastic result.

• ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Out of Perch, Anita and Tiote, I’d rather Perch starts.

While he does not stand out as being a ‘big name’, the lad has been consistent almost every time he has played. He has a good footballing brain on him and has saved us at least twice this season.

As mentioned above, I don’t think Tiote should start. Leaving Anita and Perch as the two candidates fighting for the DM spot. Personally I think Perch is the better tackler out of Anita, while Anita is better at supporting the other midfielders and getting into more attacking positions.

Perch did a good job keeping mata at bay against Chelsea for the majority of the game, he dominated Weimann at Villa. If Bale/Dempsey plays a centralish role behind Adebayor, his tackling will be crucial

• Transfer Sage

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM

toon prodigy

What message does that send to perch who has played pretty well recently, as well as Anita who has been benched.

I don’t think tiote is so crucial to us we must play him. It would be a slap in the face to start him over anita or perch who have done well.

• ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM

@Transfer Sage

I hope so. If tiote starts, it sends out a bad message to the other players. Both Anita and perch deserve to play, unfortunately only one of them is likely to start.

• ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Lol Sage. Pretty much the same comment at the exact same time.

• ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Also,

Take into account. Tiote’s reputation as a yellow card magnet, vs Bale’s growing reputation as a Diver.

Potential for a red?. Would not be surprised at all.

• rainrix

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Tiote coming back does offer us a lot of options for changing our game up from the bench. Tiote can come on for some strength in the middle, anita for some pace and technical ability, mbiwa for some defensive solidarity, marv for passing and intelligence and shola for hoofball 😉

Nice to have options finally, at least we can mix things up with our subs.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM

phoenix

Yeh haha.

I just think to get back into a winning team you need to wait until somebody in possession of a starting place under performs.You can just drop somebody who is starting and doing well unless it is to accommodate a star player.

I felt for anita being dropped but cabaye and sissoko are both brilliant so can’t argue.

I think tiote is over rated anyway by a lot, he is a decent tackler but gets too many cautions and gives away countless free kicks in dangerous areas. Don’t get me wrong, he is still important to the team but I think he has to wait for perch to slip up before being considered I’d say.

• rainrix

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Phoenix… I must admit i feel a bit underwhelmed every time i see perch starting and yet he always puts in a solid performance. I think a lot of people are the same and are underwhelmed when he starts but for me he deserves his place thoroughly after his last 2 matches

• melv1881

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Mbiwa to start in holding role to man mark bale I reckon. Offers more pace than perch

• Transfer Sage

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM

rainrix

Yeh, it’s important to have a few different options on the bench. Very glad we now have that and can change things up.

• ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM

@Rainrix

I think the main problem is that he is surrounded by players who have played for their national team or U21 squad at some point in their career.

Perch is quite literally in the center of all that and get’s over looked.

• Eyeball81

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM

@10

Same formation ive just thought of but I had Sissoko and Tiote infront of the back four to help deal with spurs pace “lennon and Bale”…occassionally swapping Sissokos role to attacking when we have the ball

• Munster Mag

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I dont think Tiote will start. He has had a bad season and wont walk in. I’d be v v surprised if he got in.

• ToonDownSouth

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Jeff Stelling says that Bale is better than C.Ronaldo.

😐 Someone’s been on the crazy pills.

• Toon-Prodigy

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Alreet transfer, phoenix

Tiote is our starter. He hasn’t been the best this season so we need him to gain the confidence and good performances back as soon as possible. The way we are at the moment, in regards to confidence and morale, I feel it’s the perfect time. When Tiote is on his game he is untouchable. We need that back, having him on the bench and letting his confidence dwindle even further i don’t think is the answer.

He is still a very big player at this club. If he is sub then thats ok aswell. I won’t knock keeping a winning team, I just think now is the time for Tiote to get back to his best.

The same happened with Taylor, he was brought straight back in.

Its deffo something for Pardew to ponder. We all know how big a player Tiote can be.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM

prodigy

Taylor was brought back in as williamson is poor and mbiwa is good but had only trained half a week with the team.

Then I’d say that tiote’s confidence won’t be damaged, it should spur him on to fight his way back into the team and lets him know when he gets in he has to perform. So I think he should wait to be back in the side.

TDS

Some pundits make me despair at times haha. Ronaldo who scored 40 goals for man utd one season and has something silly like 170 in 180 for real? compared to bale…nonsense.

Bale is in the ronaldo mold I accept, strikes a ball cleanly, gets movement, has great pace, beats people with pace and a turn as oppose to jinking run like messi. Bale has the potential to be at that level but isn’t yet.

• Dondatta13

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM

@Phoenix Warrior Perch #18

To be fair the whole team has been gash the 1st half of the season. If you add Tiote to a team playing well no doubt he will up his game…

That said… I’m slapping £10 on a Toon win (as I did last week for the Chelsea game… Kerr Ching!!!

• Rotonda heights

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Tds

for the position he plays and the current form he’s in, if Bale played for Barca, Real or Manu it could be close.

Coming back to MYM, it seems crazy that him and a 6M Ajax player probably along with Tiote are all behind Perch.

• JackButler

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I see that Harry is questioning the new financial rules the clubs have imposed on themselves, saying that a wage cap may not work as someone will always be willing to pay over the odd’s in to get the player.

Really Harry, I wonder who that could be???