The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Mathieu Debuchy The Real Star At Newcastle – Pardew

11:15 am, Friday, February 8th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 115 Comments

Mathieu Debuchy arrived in early January from Lille, and the French International has now played four full games for Newcastle,  and it’s fair to say he’s improved in every one of them,  and against Chelsea last saturday, he put in a great performance as part of a stalwart back four, and we had that great picture of Mathieu and Steven Taylor after the game – shown below – a really great picture of the big two fighters at the back for the Magpies.

steven taylor - mathieu debuchy after chelsea win

Steven and Mathieu – comrades in battle against Chelsea

Of course Mathieu didn’t get the full  credit he deserved for that great performance last saturday, because all the news was about a certain Moussa Sissoko, who had famoulsy introduced himself to England by putting in  a terrific and powerful performance for the Magpies,  and his two goals after we had gone 2-1 down in that seiocdn half gave Newcastle a famous victory

Mathieu’s good form has not gone unnoticed by manager Alan Pardew, and he had this to say today in the Shields Gazette:

“Mathieu’s answering a few more questions.” “In my opinion, he’s been as good as anyone who’s walked into this football club.” “It’s more difficult in the Premier League for defenders, trust me.”

“The amount of work and discipline you need to have as a back four is harder than in any other division in the world. He’s done very, very well.”

“Yoan’s still only played two games.” “There’s a question mark over him and Moussa.”

And notice that Alan is not getting carried way with the two excellent performances of Moussa Sissko and Yoan Gouffran either, and they’ll have to put in similar performances tomorrow at White Hart Lane if we are to keep our recent revival going.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Mathieu Debuchy · Moussa Sissoko · Steven Taylor · Yoan Gouffran

115 responses so far ↓

• 1 saxonfenken // Feb 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Should have been here in the Summer of last year

• 2 UpTheRoad // Feb 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM

C’est magnifique! Confident we can get something at WHL but we need to nullify Bale – he’s been nothing short of exceptional for Spurs.

• 3 nufc 11 // Feb 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Iam not getting carried away lets just see what they leave with the lane with big big test, bale will have to be marked out of the game to get anything, Colo form concerns me, santon shakey too hopefully they can pull themsevles together tommorow big big ask tho.

• 4 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 11:29 AM

uptheroad

He has been very good but recently he played central in the number 10 role.

I think with the pace of sissoko and the tenacity of perch and cabaye we can stop him and make them run out of ideas.

Also santon will do ok keeping up with lennon which will be a big help, just have to make sure he stays focused all game.

• 5 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM

nufc11

man utd only got a point down there so it’s not an easy place to go.

It’s one of the hardest away games this season.

But some teams have shown if you go there, play well and the 50/50 decisions/events go your way you have a chance of 3 points

• 6 fergies left foot // Feb 8, 2013 at 11:34 AM

just bought my ticket for the Southampton-game. First time back in Newcastle and St.James Park since 2003!! Cant wait!!!

• 7 UpTheRoad // Feb 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM

He can be stopped but we’ll need to be disciplined. I wouldn’t be surprised if Tiote was chucked on 2nd half to man mark him.

• 8 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM

In the handful of games Debuchy has played. He has been more of an attacking threat then Simmo all season.

That isn’t to say i hate Simmo. He was crucial last season with multiple off the line clearances,. He is also a hard worker, but hard work can only get you so far. Debuchy is just naturally more imposing when attacking.

• 9 Graeme // Feb 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM

The quickest way to stop Bale marauding down the wing is surely to attack them? The more he is called upon to defend his side of their box, the less chance there is of him causing problems at our end!!!

He may be a very good defender; he may also be a superb wing-back – but he cant do both at the same time!!

• 10 danuneek // Feb 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Team for tomorrow:

————————–Krul————————-
    Debuchy——Taylor——–Colo———Santon
    —————Tiote————Cabaye————-
    Gourfran————Sissoko———–Marveaux
    ————————Cisse————————-

• 11 danuneek // Feb 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM

It will probably be same as last week though…

• 12 NobbyNolano // Feb 8, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Attack is the best form of defence. If we pin them back, they’ll struggle especially without the pace of Defoe up front. However we’d have to be wary of their counter attack. I’d be surprised if Perch is dropped, he’s been solid the last few games and Tiote has been inconsistent this season. We need discipline and I don’t think we should put Tiote in the starting XI just in case we have one of his mad moments.

• 13 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

graeme

Thats true but bale has recently had a more free role in behind the striker so he would still be dangerous as he doesn’t need to track back as much.

Then you have players like lennon who can counter quickly and put is in all sorts of danger.

I agree we can’t just go and sit back and need to offer and attacking threat, just need to get the balance right. I think we did that against chelsea which helped.

• 14 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM

danuneek
    If all fit start with the same 11 non deserved to be dropped after Saturday’s display
    fergiesleftfoot
    If atmosphere and toon’s display anything like last Saturday – i’ll bet it won’t be another 10 years

• 15 toon1707 // Feb 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I am fairly confidant we won’t lose the game I would be a little bit less confident if Defoe was fit as he is a constant threat. I think if we can keep bale quiet or keep him off his left foot and keep pushing him on to his right we will win by a 1-0 win if we let bale constantly get at our back 4 I think we will get a 1-1 draw. I know spurs have other high quality players other than bale but I just think we can contain the others like we did against Chelsea the two they scored were superb from distance they never once opened us up to be honest

• 16 Graeme // Feb 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM

TS – and there is now absolutely NO doubt that we can provide an attacking threat – just ask Chelski!!

Just keep Bambi well away from the starting 11 lol – in fact his time would be better off organizing his testimonial match!!

• 17 Wayayman // Feb 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Totally agree about Bale needing to be attacked rather than letting him do the attacking.

I’ve never been so ‘up’ for a game away from home before. So optomistic following the last two weeks. Despite living in a Spurs area and about 4 miles from the ground I won’t be there tomorrow (couldnt get a ticket, like hens teeth)
    but I’ll be praying for some packback after what happened last season. Horrible time to be living here, especially with my 10 yr old boy a massive toon fan who wears his shirt at every opportunity regardless of how we’re doing. He had the pee ripped out of him for about a month at school.
    Mind you, he did enjoy Monday chatting to the Chelsea supporters at school. Hopefully he can walk in there this week head held high again!

• 18 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM

In what world does Tiote deserve to just walk into the team? He has been poor for the majority of the season, god knows what secret weapon the other teams have made to counter his Gamma Radiation, but the lad on recent form for us should not automatically start.

Both Anita and Perch, who have filled in for him have put in Solid performances consistently when they have played and either one of them deserves to start ahead of tiote. If the lad wants to be in the first 11, he has to work for it.

Good player, Under performed majority of this season.

• 19 Wayayman // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM

btw, Lennon ripped Simpson a new one at our place in the first game of the season. Newver seen a defender offer a lightning quick player so much space to run into with the ball. I’m looking forward to seeing how Debuchy deals with it as he’s got a football brain and knows not to give him so much space.

• 20 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM

phoenix

I can’t see tiote walking back into the side. I think pardew will stick with the same team as last 2 matches and tiote will be on the bench.

• 21 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I think now is the time time to drop Tiote in. We’re due a big performance from him and i don’t think there will be a better time.

Im not expecting big things from this match and im forcing my hopes at bay.

A draw and i’ll be over the moon as it would be a fantastic result.

• 22 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Out of Perch, Anita and Tiote, I’d rather Perch starts.

While he does not stand out as being a ‘big name’, the lad has been consistent almost every time he has played. He has a good footballing brain on him and has saved us at least twice this season.

As mentioned above, I don’t think Tiote should start. Leaving Anita and Perch as the two candidates fighting for the DM spot. Personally I think Perch is the better tackler out of Anita, while Anita is better at supporting the other midfielders and getting into more attacking positions.

Perch did a good job keeping mata at bay against Chelsea for the majority of the game, he dominated Weimann at Villa. If Bale/Dempsey plays a centralish role behind Adebayor, his tackling will be crucial

• 23 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM

toon prodigy

What message does that send to perch who has played pretty well recently, as well as Anita who has been benched.

I don’t think tiote is so crucial to us we must play him. It would be a slap in the face to start him over anita or perch who have done well.

• 24 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM

@Transfer Sage

I hope so. If tiote starts, it sends out a bad message to the other players. Both Anita and perch deserve to play, unfortunately only one of them is likely to start.

• 25 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Lol Sage. Pretty much the same comment at the exact same time.

• 26 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Also,

Take into account. Tiote’s reputation as a yellow card magnet, vs Bale’s growing reputation as a Diver.

Potential for a red?. Would not be surprised at all.

• 27 rainrix // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Tiote coming back does offer us a lot of options for changing our game up from the bench. Tiote can come on for some strength in the middle, anita for some pace and technical ability, mbiwa for some defensive solidarity, marv for passing and intelligence and shola for hoofball ;)

Nice to have options finally, at least we can mix things up with our subs.

• 28 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM

phoenix

Yeh haha.

I just think to get back into a winning team you need to wait until somebody in possession of a starting place under performs.You can just drop somebody who is starting and doing well unless it is to accommodate a star player.

I felt for anita being dropped but cabaye and sissoko are both brilliant so can’t argue.

I think tiote is over rated anyway by a lot, he is a decent tackler but gets too many cautions and gives away countless free kicks in dangerous areas. Don’t get me wrong, he is still important to the team but I think he has to wait for perch to slip up before being considered I’d say.

• 29 rainrix // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Phoenix… I must admit i feel a bit underwhelmed every time i see perch starting and yet he always puts in a solid performance. I think a lot of people are the same and are underwhelmed when he starts but for me he deserves his place thoroughly after his last 2 matches

• 30 melv1881 // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Mbiwa to start in holding role to man mark bale I reckon. Offers more pace than perch

• 31 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM

rainrix

Yeh, it’s important to have a few different options on the bench. Very glad we now have that and can change things up.

• 32 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM

@Rainrix

I think the main problem is that he is surrounded by players who have played for their national team or U21 squad at some point in their career.

Perch is quite literally in the center of all that and get’s over looked.

• 33 Eyeball81 // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM

@10

Same formation ive just thought of but I had Sissoko and Tiote infront of the back four to help deal with spurs pace “lennon and Bale”…occassionally swapping Sissokos role to attacking when we have the ball

• 34 Munster Mag // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I dont think Tiote will start. He has had a bad season and wont walk in. I’d be v v surprised if he got in.

• 35 ToonDownSouth // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Jeff Stelling says that Bale is better than C.Ronaldo.

:| Someone’s been on the crazy pills.

• 36 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Alreet transfer, phoenix

Tiote is our starter. He hasn’t been the best this season so we need him to gain the confidence and good performances back as soon as possible. The way we are at the moment, in regards to confidence and morale, I feel it’s the perfect time. When Tiote is on his game he is untouchable. We need that back, having him on the bench and letting his confidence dwindle even further i don’t think is the answer.

He is still a very big player at this club. If he is sub then thats ok aswell. I won’t knock keeping a winning team, I just think now is the time for Tiote to get back to his best.

The same happened with Taylor, he was brought straight back in.

Its deffo something for Pardew to ponder. We all know how big a player Tiote can be.

• 37 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM

prodigy

Taylor was brought back in as williamson is poor and mbiwa is good but had only trained half a week with the team.

Then I’d say that tiote’s confidence won’t be damaged, it should spur him on to fight his way back into the team and lets him know when he gets in he has to perform. So I think he should wait to be back in the side.

TDS

Some pundits make me despair at times haha. Ronaldo who scored 40 goals for man utd one season and has something silly like 170 in 180 for real? compared to bale…nonsense.

Bale is in the ronaldo mold I accept, strikes a ball cleanly, gets movement, has great pace, beats people with pace and a turn as oppose to jinking run like messi. Bale has the potential to be at that level but isn’t yet.

• 38 Dondatta13 // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM

@Phoenix Warrior Perch #18

To be fair the whole team has been gash the 1st half of the season. If you add Tiote to a team playing well no doubt he will up his game…

That said… I’m slapping £10 on a Toon win (as I did last week for the Chelsea game… Kerr Ching!!!

• 39 Rotonda heights // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Tds

for the position he plays and the current form he’s in, if Bale played for Barca, Real or Manu it could be close.

Coming back to MYM, it seems crazy that him and a 6M Ajax player probably along with Tiote are all behind Perch.

• 40 JackButler // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I see that Harry is questioning the new financial rules the clubs have imposed on themselves, saying that a wage cap may not work as someone will always be willing to pay over the odd’s in to get the player.

Really Harry, I wonder who that could be???

• 41 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM

rotonda

Can’t argue though that even with perch we have played well and he is doing a good job. I’d wanted anita in ahead of him but he has proved his worth yet again to this side.

• 42 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:36 PM

JB

A wage cap would be great but it would cause problems.

Why stay or move to England if there is no wage cap in italy, spain or turkey etc.

It has to really come from the FA as well as the premier league. Cant see prem league bringing that it as it harms their brand and financial power too much.

• 43 JackButler // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Transfer

It was voted in yesterday by the FA and the clubs themselves, I don’t think its a cap as in you can’t over ‘X’ amount of money in wages to any one player, I think it’s more to do with clubs not paying out over a certain percentage on wages

• 44 JackButler // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Also if clubs make a loss of over 105million in three years they could possibly face a points deduction

• 45 ToonDownSouth // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Sage

Ronaldo actually has over a goal a game for RM haha – which over a period of nearly 200 games is one of the most ridiculous stats I’ve ever seen!

• 46 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:44 PM

JB

Yeh there was a few things that came in. Like how clubs can’t post a loss of over 103 mil over 3 years or they might face a point deduction.

They wont get that though I bet.

It annoys me though these FFP rules. The way they are just makes clubs like man utd stay at the top. If they were in 10 years ago there would be no chelsea or man city and we would have man utd being challenged by nobody over that time.

These rules benefit those currently rich. They don’t allow anyone to build up quickly to challenge.

Look at man city and chelsea, there owners have not gambled with the future as they clubs aren’t in debt. They have made a loss but they paid it themselves out their own cash and not built it up into debt on the club like leeds or pompey did.

• 47 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I want our first 11 back out there playing well getting used to each other. Perch is someone im fond of and he has done extremely well when asked but he is no Tiote. Perch has did his job and covered, it’s time for him to move over now for me.

Having the quality in depth is a great thing. The options we have now are mint.

I’d love to see Tiote come back in and play a blinder. It would be excellent for NUFC if he did. Great competition for places at the moment.

Im a little bit gutted for Ben Arfa. Having him available for spurs would of been excellent. I do feel he will tear southampton to shreds though when he returns. Can’t wait until everyone is back and on song.

• 48 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM

TDS

he has 133 in 122 games which is insane. I thought he had dipped off a bit but guess not. The guy is amazing like.

• 49 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM

thats league goals

Its 179 goals in 178 games total there

• 50 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM

prodigy

Whats the point in having good competition though if you just pick your best 11 even if out of form?

I think tiote will do better than perch long term but for now i’d leave him to fight for his place.

• 51 Scouse_geordie // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I’m more worried about bales pace against collo….we know he has the vision to usually not get stuck one on one on a straight run but if that does happen, like it did with Ba against Chelsea,i don’t think we will be as lucky.

Id be tempted to go with mbiwa tomorrow, he has had a bit if a taste of the prem and he is physically more of a match for bale.saylor can keep him on his toes.

• 52 ToonDownSouth // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Rotonda

Not so sure about that – Madrid are having a terrible season, about on par with how Tottenham are doing points wise – and Ronaldo has 33 goals already haha.

• 53 JackButler // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Tiote has to earn is way back into the side, he’s been poor all season and now needs to know that he isn’t going to just walk back into the team

• 54 Troy Stavers // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Good link to wage caps and the possible proposals.

• 55 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM

There should be a salary cap of say 100k a player…thats more than fair. Prevents silly contracts of 250k which is money that could be used to cut ticket prices and make the game more enjoyable for the fans.

• 56 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Transfer,

My view on it is some players just have to be brought in when available. While Perchs place is warrented at the moment, Tiote also deserves a shot at proving himself in this current team.

I suppose it will be down to how they have both performed in training this week. I wouldn’t be hard on Pardew for dropping Perch though, there isn’t a doubt about who the best defensive midfielder is at the club.

Personally, I hope he starts.

• 57 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Sorry was having my Dinner,

@Toon-Prodigy

Hardly a fair comparison that is. Taylor replaced Williamson, who has only put in a handful of decent performances and in every other case a mediocre-poor performance.

Perch and Anita have been outstanding. Tiote has not. Where is the logic in playing an under performing player ahead of players in form… against a side currently in 4th place no less. If it was QPR, fine. Take the chance, but against a team in 4th, fighting for 3rd. Pretty Much suicide.

Reason’s along the lines of, “Oh but the team now is better, therefore he will perform better” or “He owes us a good game” mean absolutely nothing as its all wishful thinking. There is no gaurantee that he will put in a blinding performance tomorrow, there is no guarantee that he would perform any better.

However with the consistent run of good performances from Anita and Perch, its safe to say that once again whichever one starts will likely put in another solid performance, as they are the IN-FORM players at the moment in the DM position

Fact: This has been Tiote’s worst season for us.
    Fact: Perch has outperformed Tiote overall this season
    Fact: Perch is consistent
    Fact: Perch can get the Job Done
    Fact: Anita has outperformed Tiote overall this seaon
    Fact: Anita Can get the Job Done
    Fact: Once he settled in, Anita put in consistently good performances
    FacT: Anita + Perch = In Form, Tiote = Out of form.
    Fact: Tiote is a liability in Terms of Yellow Cards
    Fact: I still hate Olympic Diver Suarez.

• 58 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM

prodigy

I see tiote as good but nothing special. I think he is vastly over rated as a DM. He gives away too many fouls near our box and holds the ball too long and loses it that way.

I think he needs to improve at this (he can as these are problems scott parker used to have and now he is a top top DM).

I’d like to see tiote back as he is better than perch but I don’t like changing a winning team (especially one that is winning and playing well) unless you have to.

• 59 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Also people slate pardew for picking jonas when in a bad run so why should tiote be different, especially when we have a player in that position playing better than he was.

• 60 Hemel Mag // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Phoenix
    Putting FACT before or after making a statement does not make it true.
    In fact all it does is make you look a bit of a cock . ;-)
    FACT!

• 61 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

@Hemel Mag,

Go on then, which of those “facts” is false?. Do you mean to say that Perch and Anita have been sh!te all season, and that Tiote has put in consistently good performances?

Please, go ahead and point out which of those is wrong.

• 62 MacToon // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Our European team will look a little healthier especially with the likes of Tiote playing chomping at the bit to prove he’s worth a spot in our league team? Will also be a good opportunity to see Yanga-Mbiwa and Haidara play. Still a little light up top possibly but that depends on who Pards decides to play up front in Europe.

• 63 thebionicMAG // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Been saying this for ages now and this photo proves it. Steven Taylor is carrying far too much weight and I for one think that is a big reason why he keeps getting injured.

• 64 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Tommorow is one game that I would start Gutierrez in provided Bale plays down the left and not centrally due to Spuds lack of strikers. I would have Jonas double up on Bale with Santon because if Bale has clear turf in front of him it doesn’t matter how good a defender you are he will just ghost past you like you arent there. The other option is to get Sissoko to man mark him and have Pardew tell Moussa Gareth has been saying nasty things about his mother :)

• 65 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Phoenix,

Aye I really don’t get that either. No need to go all out with fact this fact that. I’d respect your opinnion regardless.

A fact could be Tiote has been involved in a lack lustre team and squad ravaged by injuries and low on confidence and morale. All have performed poorly from the start not just Tiote.

Cabaye and Taylor have both walked back in, why all the love for Perch? They have came back in and hit the ground running why wouldn’t Tiote? You can guarantee benny will be brought straight back into the fold aswell. All im saying is this is a great time for Tiote to up his game and give a cracking performance. I wouldn’t blame Pardew for bringing him in, im sure he wants his best eleven out there as soon as possible. Because to be honest, he hasn’t had that for large portions of the season so far.

I really think it should be discussed and given alot of thought.

• 66 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Bionic

I don’t think a bit extra weight can help but I think it’s more a combination of him being a little susceptible to injuries and also the fact he chucks his body in the way of anything and gets really stuck into challenges.

• 67 johng5 // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I read somewhere AVB has used bale in the second half of there last 2 games up front so I wouldn’t be surprised if we see it again tomorrow

• 68 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Prodigy

The difference is though that taylor replaced an under performing williamson and cabaye replaced tiote when he went to the ACON.

Tiote would not be filling in for somebody missing or coming in for a player moving away he would be replacing a player in good form and who has played a good part in the last 2 wins.

• 69 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:30 PM

johng

Yeh he has been just behind defoe…or dempsey when defoe got injured.

But they have adebeyor back so be interesting to see if he starts and if so where will bale feature.

• 70 ToonMauritius // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Hi Lads,
    It seems that Jeremy Menez is unhappy at PSG, he is still 25 yrs and french. He would be a good addition here as a right winger

• 71 G // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Re Jeremy Menez, he’s a good player but PSG wouldn’t let him go for peanuts. I thought all our next signing were coming from Holand (according to DL anyway)

• 72 MacToon // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Expect a near unchanged team for tomorrow, I certainly am and it has been a winning team after all. Tiote may be on the bench and get 20 minutes or so imho.

• 73 G // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:36 PM

regarding the spurs game, I fancy us for a draw at WHL, and a win against Southampton, and a comfortable league position with 11 games to go.

• 74 toonarmydownsouth // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Poor debuchy, his arrival seems to get somewhat overlooked when ppl talk about this window!
    Cracking signing good defender as is so confident on the ball plays some lovely football!!!

Big game tomos though, what are peoples thoughts?
    Personally that gouffran and santon on the left and debuchy and guti on the right worked very well vs chelski
    I know the old saying if it aint broke dont fix it, but there is one change i’d make tomos, perch
    Not to be hard on him, hes played well, but did anyone watch the spuds v west brom game? Bale caused havoc cutting it to the number 10 role and i dont think perch has the speed or reads the game well enough to keep tabs on bale, in fact vs chelsea there was a huge gap in CDM for lampards goal and i think snita would be much better suited to the spurs game, maybe even mbiwa? Or am i just talkin shite!!!

• 75 donkeypunch // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

IS hba back from injury yet does anybody know whats happerning with him?

• 76 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Perhaps I got carried away with the “facts”, but they are hardly wrong are they?.

The love for perch has nothing to do with my name or anything, if it were Anita or anyone else instead I’d have responded in exactly the same manner.

The difference between Taylor replacing willo and Tiote walking back in is,

Williamson has not been consistent. There is the occassional good game, and the rest of the time its near torturous to watch (atleast in my opinion). In that scenario, your effectively removing a poor/inconsistent performer to try and improve the squad.

The difference is, Anita and Perch have been consistently good. They haven’t really underperformed this season, therefore there is no reason to change the line up unless, the players need a rest due to loads of games squeezed in together, a player is injured or when the player returning was in form –> got injured and has returned to full fitness.

None of the above are the cases for Tiote. He has played around 18 games in all competitions this season for us, and barely a handful of them have been on par with his performances of last season. Therefore he has been under-performing. Just because he was immense for us last season, does not validate choosing him over in-form players. If Perch/Anita get injured or tired or perform poorly, then that is when Tiote should cease his chance. What message does it give the other lads when a player out of form automatically walks back into the starting 11?

The best 11 should be the best 11 players in form and deserve their spot. Not the best 11 players based on past merit or the perception that they can do no wrong. Like any other player, Tiote will have to earn his spot back and not expect to get a free pass into the first team.

• 77 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM

As for Cabaye, which I forgot to mention. Sage answered that.

• 78 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM

When I said cease, I meant to say Take.

• 79 G // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM

@76, up until the Chelsea game I thought Santon had been having a bit of a mare this season. The improvement in quality of the players in the team seem to have given him a boost in confidence? The same could perhaps happen to Tiote? For what it’s worth, i would stick with Perch personally, and make Tiote realise that his place is not guarunteed and he needs to work for a spot on the pitch. You are quite right about form.

• 80 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Re Jeremy Menez, a potential makeweight if they do go after Ben Arfa?

• 81 donkeypunch // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:44 PM

toonarmydownsouth i would prefere we just put tioti back in there straight away for totteham game . Perch has done nothink wrong to lose his place but i just feel you have to play your best 11 in such a big game

• 82 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I wouldn’t be writing Tiote off just at the minute. This lad can play very very well in the right set-up with the right players around him.

Transfer,

I get you, i really do. But Cabs would of walked back in regardless, so would Taylor, and so will Benny. We have needed our big players back. This is what i mean by my view of certain players are just brought back in regardless. I class Tiote in that bracket.

For people to say he has been poor is true, but lets not forget everyone else that has been also, it was a collected effort by all. Even Perch.

In my view Perch will never keep Tiote out of the team long term, its just a matter of time before he comes back in and Perch will be dropped back to the bench. My thoughts is that should be now, sooner the better. It’s perfect timing for him.

Perch starting is justified though I won’t knock it, but im declined to think he is the best player of the two and I want the strongest first 11 posssible.

Just my two cents.

• 83 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I don’t think Santon was that bad tbh, Imo Jonas on the left is not a good partner for Santon, I don’t really see them playing in Sync at all.

Its true though that his performances have improved greatly in the last two games. It also helps that until Haidara Joined, there was no competition for LB. :/

• 84 DokToon // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:48 PM

tads @74

im with you, but if aint broke, which right now, we arent… dont fix it! id be ecstatic with a draw, but also can see three points our way as well, not too farfetched… were playing well the last two, hope the boys can keep the big mo on our side…

• 85 Troy Stavers // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Debuchy has done excellent since he arrived. Settled straight in.

This summer is huge for the regime , as there should be no excuse not to have a squad capable of going into next season strong enough to qualify for the Europa league.

They’ve came out and apologised for misjudging it this season. It shouldn’t happen again.

• 86 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM

prodigy

It’s fair enough, I dont mind if tiote comes in but my preference is perch.

I rate tiote in a lower bracket than cabs and HBA.

I think picking your best 11 is not always the best solution. Pick your best team not best 11. Players like tiote need to see they have to work to get their place back.

He may well look better in this set up but I think perch has been as good as tiote ever has been in these past 2 games so see no need to bring him in.

Anyway these are pardews problems not ours haha. Lets just enjoy whatever 11 he sends out there

• 87 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM

@Donkeypunch

By that logic, if our best 11 all under performed and we had a 2nd team all working their socks off and getting results, you would play the under performing squad?

The best 11 should be the players currently performing the best in that role. Not a squad of 11 that looks good on paper.

• 88 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

in their respective role*

• 89 toonarmydownsouth // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Donkeypunch
    Yeah but atm moment tiote shouldnt be part of the best 11, he’s been a complete liability this season, i know ppl have said about him playing in a poor team but did you catch any of the ACON? I know he scored a goal but he was well below what you expect from tiote, im sorry but for me he has a huge fight on his hands to get back in the squad, he should not be gifted a starting place, its no coincedence either that since he’s left the amount of stupid free kicks we give away needlessly on the edge of our own box has drastically reduced

• 90 seanp // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM

The other new boy is obviously off to a good start.

Lee Ryder
    “Haidara communicating well here and he’s just hammered home the opening goal with a low leftfooted effort after overlapping run #nufc 1 0 up”

• 91 Transfer Sage // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM

tads

Exactly my point as well.

I think you need to look at each player individually. Will ben arfa start over jonas when fit? hopefully. The chance of ben arfa performing better than jonas is quite high.

The chance of tiote coming back and playing better than perch is quite low. Perch played well but tiote has struggled.

• 92 pawl250 // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I actually like what DL has been saying recently. It does make me wonder if we will sign more players in the summer since our wages budget is in line with what the % of turnover is projected for next year. I suspect we can see a couple of players leaving, perhaps Ryan Taylor who is on more than he should be these days.

I would like to see Douglas in for Colo this window, Colo needs to be allowed to leave once he has secured us the PL this season. Douglas would also be cheaper for wages.

TEAM FOR SPURS

———————– Krul ———————-
    ——- Mbiwa — Taylor — Colo ————
    Debuchy —————————– Santon
    ——- Cabaye – Sissoko – Tiote ———–
    ———— Gouffran — Cisse —————

I recently read that Tiote has played well in the AFCN, I think we need to try and roll that form on into the PL. I think he knows his place is up for grabs these days, surely it will only bring the best out of him.

Perch is very average, but versatile and hard worker. I would prefer Anita over him in all honesty but Tiote has the ommph you need in an away match, allowing players to feel uncomfortable in what should be a comfortable environment.

I think 5 at the back is because we need to focus on atleast a draw. We know that the 3 central defenders will hold out well.

Then you have Cabaye, Sissoko, Debuchy, Santon, Cisse and Gouffran who can move forward with Tiote in the holding role.

We should be solid with that team, I think its the way to go! I feel 4-3-3 will make us open to players like Dempsey, Bale, Lennon, Dembele. These are solid players and Holtby is a very good signing also who we can expect to make an impact.

• 93 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 8, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I dont think the big players at newcastle such as cabaye, ben arfa or coloccini would like to be sitting on the bench because they had been out of form as late. Although it would be a hell of a bench.

I would worry about results though.

Whilst it should be the best players on the pitch going off form, this isn’t always the case. People need chances to find their form, time to settle back in after long lay offs. Some players are just undroppable & will walk back in. We have a handful at NUFC.

• 94 ajcrawfs // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Haidara scores in reserve fixture!

• 95 DokToon // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

paw @ 92,

why focus on a draw? isnt this what some have complained about with pard.. draw on the road… i say go for a result… we need the points, and our aggressiveness is what keeps us out of trouble, playing in our last 30 yards invites bale to score…

• 96 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

“Some players are just undroppable & will walk back in. We have a handful at NUFC”

Unfortunately, Tiote does not come under this bracket, at least not this season.

He is always a liability in terms of accumulating Cards, which in itself is a big reason not to rely on him so much.

His performances this season have not been on par as his performances of last season.

Saylor, Arfa, Cabaye have been injured and missed a lot of games. Tiote played 18 games in all competitions and was given the chance to cement his place, and he hasn’t

Cabaye came in for an ACON bound Tiote
    Saylor replaced an inconsistent performer
    Arfa still injured.

None of those 3 are in the same situation as Tiote, they have not had to replace an in form player.

• 97 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Krul~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Debuchy~~~~~Saylor~~~~Colo~~~~~Santon~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Anita/Perch~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~Cabaye~~~~~~~~~~~Sissoko~~~~~~
    ~Marv~~~~~~~~~~~~Cisse~~~~~~~~~Goofy~

Would ideally be our best 11, with the exception of Cisse, the other 10 players have been on form. There is no real substitute for Cisse, therefore he retains his place.

Subs:
    Elliot
    Tiote
    Anita /Perch
    Mbiwa
    Haidara
    Ameobi
    Sameobi/Obertan

• 98 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I forgot Jonas.

Jonas as a sub instead of Sammy/Obertan.

• 99 donkeypunch // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM

i rather we conceaded freekicks than let a player run though with players like tioti you got to take the good with the bad. i admit some of his bookings could be avoided. but with good DMS in your team they can help out a defence so much . just look how many cards your roy keanes and veiras got. his form may have droped a bit this year but i just think with the team we have now he will shine

• 100 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Phoenix,

I think it’s wrong to judge just Tiote and not the other members of the squad. It was a collective performance in the past six months.

Just say we did play Tiote around cabaye and Sissoko (better players) and he had a stormer? Would you want Perch back in?

Tiote is coming back into this first eleven, it may not be on saturday but it won’t be two long after. I can guarantee that. He is the bigger player of the two for NUFC.

• 101 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM

@Donkeypunch

I’d rather we kept 11 men on the pitch to be quite frank.
    Yellow card Magnet Tiote against Bale who loves ro dive,. That’s gonna end well.

• 102 Markaccus // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM

@ phoenix, I was just going to suggest swapping jonas in for sammi/obertan you beat me to it! Also I’d say, once arfa returns, marv drops to the bench (drop shola) and goofy would be the cf cover. That’s what I’d do anyway.

• 103 geordiesteve520 // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM

On the Bale/Ronaldo debate – I think they’re now completely different players, Ronaldo was a winger but has evolved into more of and old fashioned inside forward, him and Messi as basically positionless. I think Bale is more similar to a young Ryan Giggs, if there is a better out and out left winger in the world then I’d be surprised – I think his future is that, not drifting in personally but what do I know…

• 104 JackButler // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Tiote has be unrecognizable to the player that first joined us, but to be fair to him he hasn’t been the only one who has been well below his best this season, lets hope that with Cabaye back to full health and the additions of Gouffran and Sissoko will allow him to rediscover his form. But he still has to earn his way back into the side and not just be allowed to walk back in

• 105 donkeypunch // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM

havent seem him play thou in the acon so cant be the best judge on weather he should play or not mayby that 6 year contract he was givan has made him a bit to comfortably…

• 106 pawl250 // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I would certainly think the back 3 would be strong enough not to concede was my point therefore you would settle for nothing less than a draw. I would still want to win, but the 3 centre backs our security to what would look a very attacking, pacey looking team.

Hoping for a win, would take a draw, expect a loss to be honest.

Thats not negative I just think Spurs have too much for us right now, Bale, Lennon, the pace is massive, even faster than arguably our fastest wingbacks in a long time.

I can see midfield being a decent battle, but I think we will find it difficult to get past their back 4 and an inform Lloris.

I suspect a low scoring 1-0 to either side or 1-1 maybe, I hope we win though!

• 107 JackButler // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM

On Bale, he’s a very good player but no where near the class of Ronaldo or Messi

• 108 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Obviously not. Tiote when he is in form is the better player. But that is not the case is it, and I’d rather not risk playing an out of form player against a team currently in 4th,

I’m just not blinded by his performances last season to overlook his performances this season.

• 109 donkeypunch // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM

i think with marking bale the best thing to stop him for that game is push him on the his weaker foot man u did that to him and it worked for them easier said than done thou. it on the counter attack where i fear bale the most tbh cant really think how we could stop him then

• 110 HKTP // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM

He is growing with every game, think Jonas should start against the spuds, will help nullify Bale (hopefully). Jonas can’t cross, dribble or shoot but his work rate is second to none. I remember his debut vs man u a few seasons ago and he was awesome, described as one of the best opening day performances in the EPL, not sure what has happened since then.

• 111 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Im not saying he hasnt been out of form. He has. Im saying he deserves his chance also in the current set-up like everyone else.

Lets just wait until after the game though. Perch may have a blinder and keep tiote on the bench ready for the europa games. Who knows.

Looking at it though, if bale is playing in the hole i’d prefer Tiote there, I really want to see him do well and get back to his best. To do that he needs a start.

• 112 geordiesteve520 // Feb 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Also, lets not get ahead of ourselves – we were quite cocky last year when we went to the Lane and got our arse handed to us. We went out far too attacking there and we all know what happened. Lets bide our time on this one.

• 113 toonicle // Feb 8, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Surely we should play Gouffran down the right wing then, he’s fast and would keep Bale from coming forward, and gouffran has also shown that he’s no slouchtracking back to defend either.

• 114 ONLINE GUY // Feb 8, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I would love to see Hatem in a Messi role upfront .. Exiting to watch .Defenders would need to double up on him =..more space… Using all that energy and magic he has in those feet without having to track back every 2 mins would be exiting .

• 115 ONLINE GUY // Feb 8, 2013 at 6:21 PM

If no Adebeyor.. Bale might be played as main striker

Get your money on 2-3 or 2-4 to Newcastle United ,,really, Get it on.

Friday night and the Wife wants to go to Frig**ng Ikea. see you later lad’s