The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew – I Don’t Live In Fear Of The Sack

10:43 am, Sunday, February 10th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

Alan Pardew has revealed in the Sunday Sun today that through the very sticky times from early November through the middle of January when we lost 2-1 at home to Reading, he never thought that Mike Ashley would fire him, and that turned out to be the case.

alan padrew at spurs

Alan Pardew – at yesterday’s game at White hart Lane

That’s even though Alan Pardew was 1-2 odds on in SkyBet to be sacked on the day following the Reading defeat, when Newcastle fans were far from happy campers.

But then in the week following the terrible defeat by Reading, Newcastle first missed out on Loic Remy – who went for a better offer to QPR – and Newcastle then brought in four new French players in four days – Yanga-Mbiwa, Massadio Haidara, Yoan Gouffran and Moussa Sissoko.

There is a lot of pressure on owners from both the results and the fans and most owners would have fired Pardew because of the terrible results.

This is what Alan said in the Sunday Sun today:

“It can happen. You must never fall away from that as a manager. I don’t live in fear of it. I’m not one of those people who do that. I don’t think like that.” “It is just the way I am. I have always been like that.”

“Even when I’ve got sacked in the past, it was a shock. I couldn’t understand it, and certainly on one occasion I was really shocked.” “That’s just how I am and that is my make-up. It is probably a good thing to be to have a mindset like that in this job.”

“It can start eating into you but I don’t let it do that.” “I didn’t really ask for any reassurances from upstairs. So I didn’t get any and I didn’t ask. I just got on with what I thought is important and that is making sure I get the team in the best possible place for the game.”

We’re not sure which sacking was the one that really shocked him – but it could have been the one at Southampton, as certainly the fans didn’t want to see him sacked and over 80% of the fans in a poll after he left, said they would have liked Alan to have stayed on as manager of Southampton.

It’s not gone unnoticed that the Southampton owner – Italian banker Nicola Cortese – also fired manager Nigel Adkins last month, and replaced him with Argentine Mauricio Pochettino, and again the fans were shocked by the management change at an awkward time of the season.

We’ll see just how good Southampton are in a couple fo weeks time when they visit Newcastle, but Alan needs to get the win in that game, because we’re still 5th from bottom of the league, and the Saints are one place above us.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 Moat1 // Feb 10, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Even i didnt wont pardue to be sacced.(Dont mynd the spelling)

• 2 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 10, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Ain’t signed up to twitter – but just read Independent ‘ashley caught having a drink with travelling toon fans before kick-off. anyone know what the crack was. Also interesting article centre spread on foreign owners/clubs. Worth a read

• 3 saxonfenken // Feb 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Wow!! Ed This is a Red rag to a bull artical on here lol

• 4 shearermania // Feb 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM

ok i calmed down now after the game ..sort off…but heres my 2 cents..
    Taylor is a beast and could be our samba, was very impressed by him and very dissapointed our captain was the one who looked out of depth…it was very poor goals to concede..very poor…
    anyway we played some good stuff not gtreat but ok…second half i thought we were a bit disappointing, spurs was keeping a high line and it was crying out for a pass down the line but we set too deep i thought…
    we should defo,play tiote..hes our warrior – perch has done a great job but hes no tiote…
    the new boys were the best both gouffan fantastic and sisokko what a player..the future is bright cant wait to see hba back in this team and jonas on the bench

• 5 fergies left foot // Feb 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM

thought gouffran and taylor had great games! sissoko on the other hand was noting like in the past weeks. Yes, one assist but passing was sloppy and didnt have the same presence, he will be back to normal for soton though

• 6 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Obviously playing for France took it out of Sissoko and Cabaye, and they both need a rest now. Hopefully with Benny back and Jonas out we will look a lot better for Southampton. I also think that Coloccini could benefit from a rest, he looked only a shadow of what we have come to expect from him. Rest them for the European game and get them back fit and fresh for Southampton.

• 7 sweendog // Feb 10, 2013 at 11:53 AM

CONGRATULATIONS ED.
    and keep up the good work.

• 8 robin // Feb 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM

We are stuck with this oaf Pardew, until Ashley finds a buyer for the club. As he wants out of NUFC and thats why Pardews so smug about his job being safe, lets face it far superior managers have been dismissed with better win records than this pretender with his negative outlook!

• 9 No7_Heaven // Feb 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I think Pardew may now find himself out of his depth having such a good bunch of quality players to create a team from.

I do think he should be allowed to see the season out but I would like to see a high quality manager come in for pre-season. I put my hands up in admitting I am deluded.

previous post: Sissoko – England Suits Me And My Style Of Play