Alan Pardew – We Played Some Great Stuff At Tottenham

It was an upbeat Alan Pardew who talked immediately after the game to nufcTV and Rob Scanlon,  and Alan thought the Gouffran injury after 55 minutes, and the second Tottenham goals scored by Gareth Bale after 78 minutes, were the turning points in a game we probably should have taken at least a point from.

Alan pardew and AVB beofre yesterdays game

Andre Villas-Boas and Alan Pardew before the game yesterday

This is what Alan Pardew said immediately after the game.

“We had them just where we wanted them really and the second goal and the injury to Gouffran I thought were the two things changed the game.” “We were in a comfortable position and we had good control of the game playing some great stuff .”

“So it’s disappointing to have those two blows to have the loss and to lose Gouffran who has done terrific today.” “The second goal was a mistake on our part, and once he’s away you are not going to catch him – you cannot give him that opportunity cannot catch him great today was things.”

“We done well to contain him for long periods today, he’s had a set play and capitalized on a mistake, and the other chances he had were when we were chasing the game, and he’s always going to have situations like that – he is a great player make no mistake – and he was the difference today”

“But we have a good side and this fixture and Manchester City away were the two tough ones we had left – we gave a good account of ourselves today and we’ll take that into Southampton.”

And Alan said that Gouffran had been taken for an X-ray,  but there was no ligament or cartilage damage, and the Newcastle doctor was uncertain about the injury,  and that it would  be bone damage if anything.

And since then the X-ray came back negative – so it looks like Yoan will be OK for the Southampton game – which is really great news.

Alan also said he was buoyed by how good Newcastle looked today against a Championship level side – so let’s hope we can beat the lesser teams we are going to be facing in the next few games – which starts with Southampton in two weeks time, and they are fresh off their surprise 3-1 win against Manchester City yesterday at St. Mary’s Stadium.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• check the toastie

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Good solid performance from the lads, kept the ball reasonably well (barring Jonas) and looked pretty solid, Taylor is a massive plus, looking forward to seeing Yanga in EL, would pair him with Collo see how it goes, only a matter of time before Saylor is injured again. Shouldnt be resting anyone thursday, no game for 7 days after it.

………………..Krul……………………
    Santon…..Yanga….Collo….Haidara….
    ……………Tiote……..Cabaye
    …..Marv…… Sissoko…..Obertan
    ………………….Cisse……………………..

Cisse should start, needs a goal and his confidence building. Plus Shola is terrible when he starts games.

• Benji84

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I still thought from last night if you took out colo stupid early free kick and the defensive error at the end of the game plus bales brilliance and finishing i thought Spurs were very ordinary. Every time i watch spurs they look good and look like they dominate a game but never do much on the score board where it counts. I still think we can take a lot from last night and push for a good end of half and I feel top 10 and then next year a big push for top 4. I still cant believe City lost. Something is going on there ????

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:05 AM

If it was,nt for the brilliance of Bale, Totenham would of been ordinary !

Two defensive errors cost us the game plus the injury to Goeffy.
    We played well and still got beat, “dissappointing”!

• Mister Tuff

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I don’t subscribe to the “excuse” by some posters that we were beaten by a top flight, third position team. Whilst Spurs played some decent stuff at times so did we. Defensive errors cost us, I also got the impression there was an element of fatigue in some of the players- including Sissoko. Bale ,when taking free kicks rarely does a “daisy cutter” – the whole wall should have jumped. Luckily there are not many teams with a player who has pace like Bale -so our “slow” centre backs should cope a bit better. apart from a couple of “lashes here and there Cisses’ contribution to the overall games is not very good to say the least.
    Luckily other teams below us did not do well yesterday -so still no panic.

• Mister Tuff

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:18 AM

previous post lashes= flashes.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:23 AM

just one of them games, am a bit suprised at man city though thought they would have beaten southampton but take nothing away from them they played well dont think it be an easy game when we play them

now santon can play with both feet, hes a great player just think maybe he could be used better as maybe a winger or a sweeper plus he has a good shot on him

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:30 AM

It wasn’t just Bale the difference
    The Referee to me played a big part
    How many times was Goufron blocked/manhandled to the ground when making a run/linking in promising counter attacks.
    Ref played advantage but moved broke down cos Goufran wasn’t there for the rerturn. Did not bring play back or speak to.book any of their players.
    AND when Perch tackled Bale and won the ball fairly WHY did he stop the game. Game should of went on – only stop the game for head injuries is that not the rule.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:32 AM

charlie I agree with you 100% that ref and theres more like him who hate the toon, when all this match fixing is sorted out id love to know which refs were involved in it

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:36 AM

geordiemark
    Cheers for the backing
    Goufron is going to be a class act. Might not score the goals – but his movement speed and link up play is going to create chances for other people – AND the spuds knew this yesterday – pity about the ref

• ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Aye, walker had his hands all over Goofy on several occasions and gets off without punishment.

However I don’t think he had any intention of hurting goofy during that challenge which led to the injury. Ball was there to be won.

• spitfire_

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Nice picture btw… the portugal raincoat napped Pardew’s tit.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:43 AM

aye hes slotted into the set up really good charlie and aye spuds knew about it thats why walker took him out the match yesturday and he did and the ref knew it, I watch the refs most of the time in matches there reations ect ect and he didnt give nowt to us yet spuds had everything.

I remember playing in a match a long time ago i was a defender and this player knew all about my right ankle being dodgy so he kept on tapping it making sure it was effecting my game so I went to the ref told him if he didnt do nothing about him id sort him out and aye went for it again but this time i just smashed his knee with my left foot he went down the ref come over red carded me so I shoved the nut on the ref i was off anyways got banned by the fa over it never ever played football again after that told the fa its currupt to hell and now look at it it is 🙂

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:46 AM

what I would have told my defenders if bale is near them to let him know there there and dig him one sorry but i was a very dirty defender in my day and football isnt ballet is it its a mans game not a tarts game

• saxonfenken

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:50 AM

The main difference to the game was Gareth Bale, For the first goal, Sissoko was telling the wall not to jump. The second was Bale being to quick for both Saylor and Colo.
    Marv is a Luxury player, and sadly when Gouffran was injured came on and was non existent. IMO.
    I thought Tioto looked more like himself though.
    Let us put things into perspective, when 5th last year we lost 5-0, this year we battled well, and losing to Spurs 2-1 is not a disgrace. a point would have been great but sadly not to be.
    the good news is that Gouffran who was my man of the match, has not got a broken leg, lets hope he is back quickly.

• Toon-Prodigy

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Couple of euro games to continue building the confidence we have right now and we should be a force to be reckoned with come our next prem game.

Some much needed game time for Anita and our other new lads.

I wonder if Willo will get a start in our euro games? Now there is a thought and discussion. Would you risk it?

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I don’t know if Walker meant to hurt him – But I thought it was a foul/dangerous play in the ‘modern day’ game with studs leading into the tackle.
    BUT my biggest gripe was the Perch tackle on Bale good tackle NO foul we had the ball moving forward, Bale ‘the presses pin up boy’ of pitch and he stops play. Can’t imagine stopping play if it were Tiote or Cattermole ‘injured off the pitch’

Might as well get another of my gripes out of the way.
    Take last Saturday against Chelsea. Taylor had to go off for a blood injury No fault of his own he got fouled blood was drawn.
    AND it was us who had to go down to 10 men giving us a distinct disadvantage

• Jonas's better than Messi

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I’m not sure why people think Gouffran won’t score goals.

He’s always looking to have a shot. I think he’ll score more than Cisse in the run in.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:54 AM

in the euro match agaisnt the russians id play 3 at the back and wing backs and id keep to it to take into the premire league matches as well think we would be more suited to that system

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM

charlie take it from me walker meant it alright and got away scott free with it and I have no doubt the fa will do nothing about it

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM

oops
    should of been them

Might as well get another of my gripes out of the way.
    AND it was us who had to go down to 10 men giving them a distinct disadvantage

• toonarmydownsouth

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Yesterday the difference wasnt bale, it was simply the fact he took his chances and we didnt
    Some people praised cisse’s workrate and movement yesterday but sorry he cut a poor frustrating figure upfront showing poir touches and no movement in the box, when was the last time he hassled a defender to get goalside? Never he simply stands on the penalty spot and waits for the ball he doesnt graft enough, even the spuds fans i spoke too after tge game couldnt believe how poor he looked
    2 stand out moments to highlight this
    1) sissoko went on a marauding run through the middle had 3 players on him, cisse had a chance to make a run, create space fir himself or simply pull a couple of defenders wide to create space for sissoko, instead he basically ran into sissoko, looked like he was trying to hold his hand ffs!
    2) ppl say give him the service, im sorry but having a completly free header 7 yards out and not even hitting the target, thats is simply nit good enough at this level no matter how yoy look at it, genuinly think when bennys back, gouffran may well take cisse’s place

• toonarmydownsouth

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:08 AM

@16
    Aye bale was off the pitch, wasnt a head injury should never if stopped the game and dowd has no right to do so
    Bale doesnt half flop around like a right tart for big lad

• Jonas's better than Messi

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I’m not sure about Cisse.
    As we have very limited striking options I think Pardew will have to keep playing him, hoping he hits form.

It’s the offside runs he makes that annoy me.
    Hopefully he’ll hit form in the EL.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I dont really think much of bale really aye hes quick but to me hes to much of a tart, hes been at spuds a while now and the past say 2 years hes started to get better but what I think is that theres more harder players retired thats why hes got better really

• firebug666

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Did anyone else notice how the Ref was laughing and joking with the spuds players throughout the match? And only played the advantage if it was in spuds favor. For me this ref was terrible for us, simply ignoring blatant fouls on Gouffran, on and off the ball. IMO this ref should be brought before the FA and investigated.

• Jonas's better than Messi

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Bale’s class. Brilliant technique, great pace and he can finish.

• hotdog

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Tads – that’s why bale was the difference!

As for cisse header it was a half chance. I’m still with cisse. We ain’t creating enough. How many real chances did the team make for him? How many times did we get behind them and cut the ball back? He is a sniffer and we ain’t causing enough problems in the oppo box. He spent most of the second half on the right wing looking for the ball.

Geordiemark – if you did nut the ref your a complete tool lad!!

• cestriasteve

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Ive just watched the highlights on sky this morning, I dont think anyone could be blamed for the 2nd goal but the Free Kick was terribly defended by the wall, dont know who was worse either Jonas or Perch. Be interesting against Southampton next Sunday and also if we play a much weakened side during the week.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM

theres 3 refs in the premire league i cant stand the 3 are dowd,webb and atkinson there a disgrace and they hate the toon

• saxonfenken

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:19 AM

lots of rose tinted glasses again, I agree that the game should not have been stopped for Bale who was off the pitch, and Walkers challenge was more than iffy, As usual though I have seen no mention of Cabaye’s bad tackle which could easily have been a red instead of the yellow. If we are going to criticize, lets look at both side of the coin.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM

hotdog have you ever played football ? if so you should understand that when a player is not properly protected by a ref then at some point you will go mad ive seen it in todays players and I was wrong in nutting him i should have just punched his lights out instead he deserved it and me being a tool well you can use a tool but I wouldnt insult you I am to much of a gent to do so 🙂

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM

saxon aye cabaya that was a bad tackle but I think he done that with what was going on with gouffran and co myself think he just said well the refs not doing nothing so why not

• geordiesteve520

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM

@mr Tuff, I am afraid I completely disagree, the first thing you’re told when you are in a wall is under no circumstances move. Normally players don’t have the bottle do do this, however the machine that is James Perch stood his ground, stared Bale down and the ball went six inches over his head, in my opinion he did what he was asked and the ball went over him. If he’d hit the ball low and perch jumps then we can tear into him but not for being brave and standing his ground.

• toonarmydownsouth

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Hotdog
    It was a great ball in and he’s in the center of the box and 7 yards out with a free header, thats not a half chance in the PL thats a gift mate and every PL cf should be working the keeper from there
    His movement was poor and he seems to have a short fuse these days when things arent going his way, im sorry but he looks very poor atm

Saxon
    Cabs challenge was late no doubt, but one footed studs not up, thats never a red

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Lets put this into perspective, Cabaye,s challenge on Dembele was a bad one too! And yes i did see the ref ignore blatent fouls on Goeffy during the game, but the FA will do cock all about it, think we need to just move on and concentrate on our next home tie against Southampton!
    They got a good win against Shitty yesterday and will have their tails up !

We did,nt play that badly but were caught out twice by the brilliance of Bale ! Let,s take the positives, even if its not many, and move on!

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM

did yous notice when gouffran said something to the ref that the ref had to call over cabaya to tell him what was said hahaha gouffran must have insulted the ref in french hahahaha

• hotdog

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Geordiemark – not that it matters but I’ve played for many years and still play. I’ve also managed a side for 7 years but that’s got nowt to do with it. I’m pleased your were banned and if one if my players had done that his stuff would be outside the changers for him. I’m off to take my 14 year old son to his game now and hope I don’t see a young 16 year old ref learning his trade, worried about getting nutted. You don’t it simples!

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM

well topdog thats good for you obvious you didnt play football in the 70s did you in them days there was no ballerinas playing football it was a mans game, your a manager well thats good hope you do very well at the game

I took the wrisk and I suffered from doing it no one else has I decided football was currupt then it was my choice what I done and certainly not yours so please stick your options where the sun doesnt shine

• firebug666

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:36 AM

saxonfenken I agree Cabaye’s tackle was a terrible one born out of frustration and he deserved his yellow card. But when your team is getting nothing from the ref, and one of your players has been stretched off frustration sets in. The ref was blatant in his decisions against us, The spuds players seized on this and took full advantage. The game was fairly even for the most part, but only because the ref gave everything to the spuds players. Have to say I’m very surprised we never got a red card. would have been a feather in the refs cap.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:38 AM

if youve managed the same side for 7 years topdog can you tell me what have you won as a manager am curious