Good News – Gouffran Fit For Southampton Game

It’s the news we had been hoping for,  and after the negative X-ray results on his shin bone, Yoan Gouffran was further examined by the Newcastle medics yesterday,  and he seems ready to go against Southampton – and that’s good news – because it could have been so much worse if he had suffered a fracture of his leg.

yoan gouffran injury tottenham

Yoan Gouffran on Saturday – yes – we’re sure it was sore

And Yoan has two weeks to fully recover, because he’s cup tied,  and cannot play in the next two Europa League games in any case, so he should be all set to go a week come Sunday against the Saints.

And the good news is that after the game he walked with no assistance onto the plane that took the lads back to Newcastle after the game in London.

It was Kyle Walker’s challenge that caused the injury to Yoan’s shin – and it was certainly painful for the Frenchman – and he was eventually carried off on a stretcher after quite a delay in the game.

Alan Pardew thought that losing the very impressive Gouffran was a big factor in the game:

“I thought it was difficult.” “Him not finishing the game caused us a problem.” “But, having said that, it’s not as serious as it could be.” “He’s got a gash. He looked less sore in the changing room.”

And Gouffran scored his first goal for the club at White Hart Lane, although it was just a little bit lucky as it was deflected and wrong footed Hugo Lloris in the Tottenham goal.

But it’s excellent news that Yoan is OK and not badly injured.

Note:

We are trying to help Charlie Elliott, who is in his final year at University and he’s majoring in Psychology and Criminology. Charlie’s doing a survey which is 100% anonymous, and we need some of our female readers who have smoked and done some weight control to complete the survey.

It’s just 5 questions and it shouldn’t take more than a few minutes to compete – here is the survey.

Thanks.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• croftus5678

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM

whoohoo great to see the lad back.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM

so glad it wasn’t a break. I feared the worst when I saw his leg.

• toon1707

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Really can not wait to take my seat for the Southampton game Ben Arfa cisse and goofy up top with tiote sissoko and cabaye behind them with those six we should look a very dangerous team

• ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Praise the heavens! Goofy is safe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Krul~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Debuchy~~~~~~Saylor~~~~Colo/Mbiwa~~~Santon~
    ~~~~~~~Cabaye~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Anita~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Jonas~~~~~~~~~~~~Sissoko~~~~~~~~~~~~Arfa~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Goofy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Toon-Prodigy

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Dear me, these articles are coming thick and fast today arn’t they..

Anyway,

Transfer,

Agree Transfer,

This is exactly what Bale does, he chops and changes roams about down the wing, if he gets no joy he comes in and through the middle.

He was limited first half because we had a brilliant spell during it. Sadly when Gouffran went off and our midfielders tired it was a knocking bet what was going to happen. Bale should of been man marked for me. He would of been limited. And the best person for that job is Tiote, although I know some don’t agree with that. He is one of the best readers of the game and breaking down play in the premier league. You got to get your big players in for the big games, thats the way I see it. His past form over five games ago was irrelevant for me. Everyone was poor then.

Excellent news on Goofy. Over the moon for the lad.

Right, its my bedtime. Work tonight.

Have a pleasant day lads.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM

toon1707

Can’t think of many sides better than that in all honesty in the league.

For all i like and rate cisse if we could replace him with a suarez, tevez, aguero, van persie player it would be as good as any.

I don’t want cisse gone before anyone complains, but i’d love a forward in the mold of suarez (without the baggage)

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Great news on Gouffran. Really missed him when he was stretchered off. Glad he got a goal, hopefully many more to come.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM

TS @6….”without the baggage” or rat like features 🙂

• Toon-Prodigy

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM

• Transfer Sage

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM

ibiza

now now…rats deserve to play too haha

• ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Honestly wouldn’t be sad if we cashed in on Tiote in the summer.

• outsidethebox

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM

phoenix @4 …agree with most of best team but think mbai will be better than saylor and cisse i thought played well against spurs has to play in front of jonas…

krull
    debuchy mbai collo santon
    benny cab tiote goofy
    sissoko
    cisse.

• ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I’d rather Mbiwa and Saylor. Colo is likely to leave in the summer, so why not get a headstart on Saylor + Mbiwa partnering together and getting an understanding of how each other plays.

I’m honestly frustrated with Cisse at the moment. Half the time I wanna tear my hair out when I watch him play. Good first touch. Non existent second touch.

• Ketsbaia9

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Even though Gouffran’s shot took a slight deflection, it was well struck and would’ve gone in anyway. He’s done better than I thought. But still, Marveaux on his day is a very exciting player to watch. I’d love to see Marveaux and Anita back in the starting line up.

• outsidethebox

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM

just noticed @ 12 …no british player in team ..saylor will have to step up a gear and learn from collo to take his place in summer …who are the english close to first team ????

• Ketsbaia9

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I don’t expect us to sign any English players in the summer. Alderweield and Benteke are must signings.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Outside the box

Spot on. just hope Pards reads the script. That team is awesome. A bit rough on Saylor though in light of recent form.

Maybe in for Colo whose mind is understandably elsewhere right now. or play 3 at the back with a sweeper and Debuchy and Santon being raiding wing backs

Please no more automatic Jonas and then Perch and Shola ahead of better quality people.

Ibiza

I like the direction we are taking both in shape and personnel. But somewhere Pardew has to go with it, not mutter on about Carroll and preferring to sign English players .

Pardew has to rid himself of his comfort zone of a typical 442, defensive, long ball English manager and go with the continental flow and keep going with it for the greater good.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:28 AM

kets

Marv has played best for us in a central role, he has really struggled out wide so he would have to be in the middle.

Anita isn’t an out and out DM, he is sort of a link between DM and attack which is what cabaye is a better version of really.

I would love to see anita and marv in but not sure who would be dropped.

Whats you idea?

• donkeypunch

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:29 AM

tioti a qwality player hes the guy who does the dirty work in your team people say he gets a lot of cards but hes allways going to get that from the style he plays breaking teams down cant believe people would be happy if we sold him all good dms pick up cards its just how it is You only have to look at your roy keanes and veiras to see how important players like that are for a team

• Transfer Sage

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM

rotonda

I’m with you on carroll, look for a continental target man like ibrahimovich or llorente, obviously not those two but in that style.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM

rotonda

We do need some good english players coming in though, we can only have 17 players (over 21) who aren’t british in the squad.

We already have these….debuchy, santon, colo, mbiwa, cabaye, anita, tiote, marv, gouff, cisse, benny, sissoko, jonas

Thats 14 players which only allows for 3. Unless we sell first.

We need a 25 man squad so we need to make sure we have at least 8 english/british (whatever the rule is) who are good enough for us.

• donkeypunch

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

carrol not that bad on the ground cant believe people have written him of so much very short memorys hes just a stiker low on confidance at the moment my only concern with carrol now is his injury record

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Rotonda…It has always been said, whether legitimate or not is debatable (however recent evidence would show it is) that Pardew actually fovours a 4-2-3-1. I claimed at the time that the 4-4-2 was more out of circumstance or wanting to get Ba and Cisse to link. Anyway, I think we have moved on from that, at least for the majority of the time.

I do feel Pardew can grow with the team, how long for I don’t know, but for now I think he can.

On Carroll, I don’t think he’s such a write off as many do. For me it all depends on the following:

1) Transfer fee
    2) Wages
    3) What choice ST he would be.

As a replacement for Shola I’d say get him. As a replacement for Ba then no thanks.

We do need some British players and as a back up choice we could do a lot worse than Carroll imo. Of course, we could do better.

I’m not that fussed really, but if it was to be a week in week out starter then my concerns would grow.

I’m still not convinced that he doesn’t just drop his name to wind people up….mainly Liverpool. Still one of the best bits of business i’ve seen in the footballing world…£35m 🙂

• rainrix

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Donkey… I dont think carrolls a bad player, especially not if he’s meant as a direct replacement for shola. People have really short memories he was brilliant for us and isnt as 1 dimensional as some on here would make him out to be.

The problem is like you say injuries plus cost. Theres much better value out there for the quoted price of 17mil.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM

donkey

The guy had a good 6 month spell for us in the prem league (following a good championship year).

He struggled at liverpool and he has struggled at west ham.

For 2 years not he has been poor and has been injured 40% of the time if not more.

He is one of many players who have a great start then just cannot keep going.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I’ rather benteke as a target man, good in the air, good on the ground, already has 13/14 goals this year in a poor villa side.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM

“I heard Beckham’s decision and it made me think,” Ibrahimovic told reporters while on duty with the Swedish national team. “Who is most deserving of all of the money that I, Zlatan, am paid? The answer is Zlatan. The children of Paris are not leading Ligue 1 in goals this season. I am. I have 20 goals. The next best players have 12. Twelve! If anything, the children of Paris should be giving me even more money for having the privilege of being in the same city as my incredible quality. And so should David Beckham. Call it a Zlaritable donation.”

Did he really say that?

• rainrix

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Must admit i’d be massively underwhelmed if we broke our transfer record for carroll. 17Mil is the same price Chelsea paid for lukaku, and who would you rather have? Might as well slap in a cheeky bid for him see if chelsea will budge 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Rainrix…At £17m we should stay well away. If anyone is willing to pay that for Carroll now then they are more than welcome to him. Just can’t see those figures being paid

• rainrix

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Ibiza… Yup 17 mil is way to much and given our past transfer policy i doubt we’d spend it. But pards and lambias seem to have a love interest in the lad. Not sure what’ll happen, just hope it doesn’t involve swap deals 😐

• Jamiemac

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Completely agree with Phoenix Warrior Perch @ 13

Saylor has been brilliant for us last 2 years, love watching him play, he puts his body on the line at all times and has far more passion than Colo. If it was up to me I would have Saylor and MYM but we have to accept thats not likely to happen.

• Ketsbaia9

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Was going to drop Gutierrez and Perch but both have upped their games. Marveaux is definitely better as an AM. He likes playing up the field. Wouldn’t say Cabaye is better than Anita. Anita is technically sound. Would rather have Anita in the team than Tiote at the moment. Tiote concedes too many fouls. Anita is more attacking and has a good footballing brain. Anita is also fast as hell.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM

TS & Rainrix…So not true then 🙂

Back on Carroll….As I said earlier, i’m not sure it’s not just a big joke to Llambias and Pardew. We got £35m for him, but yeah we’d take the under-performing Geordie…at a cut price.

Just a constant reminder of how much they over paid for him in the first place.

For the right money though and as an alternative to Shola I’d be happy enough to have him back. We can’t just get players we all want, we’d have nothing to complain about 😉

• donkeypunch

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:01 PM

kets agree with you on the Alderweield, hes an awesome defender but really dont see nufc getting him when we can get douglas on a free and already got taylor aswell and we need all the spare cash for another qwailty forward in the summer 1 bony 2 bentake 2 carrol really think we will be in for them players at the end of the season

• rainrix

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Ibiza… I dont see why me and sage both did leg work for you when you could have easily googled it yourself. Sorry mate but your tyrannical reign over this blog has to end. Ibiza Out!!! 🙂

For the right money say 7mil i’d have carroll in a heartbeat, but obviously liverpool feel mugged off and want to recoup as much as possible, i’d give it a wide birth 😉

• Transfer Sage

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM

ibiza

I’d rather have carroll than shola but carroll costs money and shola is here for free.

In all honestly I would rather have neither.

Which teams around the top of their leagues in the major european leagues have a big target man (who is as bad as carroll on the ground, not saying he is terrible on the ground but he isn’t fluid).

• Williamsonsuks

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Really happy with gouffron. Seems to be loving his football just now. Sissoko didn’t have the best game on Saturday but can tell he has class. I’m still not giving up on Cisse, needs to work on his composure in front of goal. Still fancy him to reach 15 this season. Know it sounds unrealistic but once the midfield gels completely he’ll get a lot more service.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM

rainrix…To be fair, I did search and came up with the stories claiming it to be true. Wasn’t for a lack of effort, just ineffective 🙂 Saying that, I didn’t think I had reign over the blog and If I do then i must apologise for the terrible job I am doing. I hearby resign and give all power to you…good luck buddy 🙂

Back on to Carroll….yet again….£7m for sure. At this point I’m not sure what choice Liverpool have. Maybe they could get £10m from someone…time will tell.