The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Please Help Eve If You Possibly Can

2:00 pm, Monday, February 11th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 8 Comments

When we have a chance to help out with Charities and good causes, we take the opportunity to try to help, and we want to let you know today about ten year-old Eve and what her family are going through to keep Eve more in touch with the world – and it puts the rest of our problems we may have into some perspective.

eve may 2010

Beautiful Eve

The family – step-father Peter and mother Lee – are currently fundraising for their 10 year old daughter Eve, who collapsed on Valentine’s Day in 2011, with a massive brain hemorrhage, which was as the result of a previously undetected and inoperable brain tumor.

Eve’s life turned upside down on that day, and she did incredibly well to survive the ordeal, but unfortunately she has been left suffering with what is called Locked in Syndrome, whereby she understands and recognizes everything that goes on around her,  but is unable to move, talk or do any of the things that she previously was able to do.

phpww45A6AM

The Miller family Eve, Lee, Mia, Peter and Jed – before Eve’s medical problems

Eve obviously needs 24/7 care now, and although grants have helped to provide Eve with her basic needs, such as a lift to get her upstairs and a hoist to get her into the bath etc, the parents are fundraising to be able to buy Eve equipment that can hopefully make her life more comfortable and enjoyable – and of course this kind of equipment is not cheap.

Last year the parents managed to raise £27K for the RVI (Royal Victoria Infirmary) in Newcastle – which is the hospital where Eve spent 9 months having her life saved and then during her recovery.

The family are trying to raise a similar amount to help provide Eve with what she needs.

Eve and parents today

Eve and parents following her brain hemorrhage

Peter has already completed a sponsored 150 mile walk in a week, taking in all of the local football grounds, St James Park, Stadium of Light, Riverside Stadium, and grounds at smaller clubs like Gateshead and Hartlepool.

They are also holding a black tie dinner at St James Park on 23rd March 2013, and have already sold out all 180 tickets for the event.

However, they are going to be offering the chance to bid on some great auction prizes (including a signed NUFC top and tickets for a NUFC match and a raffle with a prize being a chance to play football at St James Park) to their followers on Facebook,  so why not like their Facebook page.

Here are Eve’s Facebook page – and also the Just Giving page.

We will be keeping up with the Miller’s from now on, and if you can pledge on the Just Giving page above and like their Facebook page – that would be awesome.

Many thanks.

Tags: Charity · Other News

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 Markaccus // Feb 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Poor kid :( :( :( imagine being totally helpless to do or say anything. A living nightmare. I have no words :(

• 2 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Bless. Will do what I can. Thoughts are with her and her family.

• 3 El Sleeve // Feb 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM

NUFC players donate one weeks wages and this girl could have a better life. i hope a lot of our footballers do community work and give to charity also for these causes

very sad and does indeed put a few things in perspective

• 4 Munster Mag // Feb 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM

A tragic story lads. Hope as many of us can chip in as possible. Howay the lass!

• 5 toontime // Feb 11, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Hi everyone.

Eve is my little girl and I contacted Ed to see if he could help with any kind of write up for the fundraising we are doing for her.

I just wanted to thank you all so much for reading, for commenting and for following Eve on our Facebook page. We have also had some fantastic donations on our Just Giving page already and we can’t thank you all enough.

Football is a massive part of my life, as is NUFC, but nothing can come anywhere near the love I have for my family and to see my fellow fans offering their help and support to Eve means the world to me.

Despite the disagreements, the fallouts and the banter on here, I truly hope Eve’s story brings the best out of Geordies and adopted Geordies all over the world.

Thank you Ed for giving Eve a great write up and thank you all for reading.

Peter

• 6 one Tony Green // Feb 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Hello Peter it is in times like this that you realise how unimportant football is.
    Will get in touch via Facebook to discuss help.

• 7 Munster Mag // Feb 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Toontime, I was really pleased to chip in and the story of your daughter was heart wrenching. Like you I’m a dad too , and a Toon fan obviously. Take care mate.

• 8 One comment a day // Feb 11, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Hey Toontime, I live just around the corner from you. I remember Eve and her sister coming past our house, after they had been playing on the racetrack/icerink (or whatever the kids choose to call it) with her friends. I could not comprehend when I heard what had happened to your beautiful little girl. She always went past and said hello if we were in the garden with our boys (6 and 9). She certainly has that special quality about her! I will ask some local businesses and my place at work if any of them can help. I certainly feel that if we can’t help our own, then who can we help. Lads get behind this please, It could happen to any one of us, my kids are lovely and healthy and I feel lucky. If people can help then please do, it’s heartbreaking. It’s not just Eve remember it’s the family too. Good luck Peter.

previous post: Good News – Gouffran Fit For Southampton Game

next post: Is Andy Carroll Worth £10M To Newcastle This Summer?