The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Fans Split Down The Middle On Andy Carroll

7:01 pm, Tuesday, February 12th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 199 Comments

Well it seems that Newcastle fans are divided on whether Geordie Andy Carroll would be a good buy at £10M this summer, and that’s after we got an amazing £35M for him just over two years ago.

ndy carroll west ham

Andy Carroll – 44% opposed to paying £10M for him this summer

At the time of writing 47% thought Andy would be a good buy at £10M in the summer, and 44% didn’t think so – with the others not sure.

Newcastle will be bringing in a new striker this summer, and it seems that it’s between Andy, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang of ST. Etienne and Ricky van Wolfswinkel of Sporting Lisbon.

Its seems to us that Newcastle seem most interested in Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, since we think Andy Carroll will still cost too much – and we don’t think we’ll be able to get him for £10M.

But if we do get Andy he would certainly give us an option we don’t have up front at the moment – somebody who is a very good header of the ball, and of course he’s a local lad who came through the Academy.

Here’s the latest poll figures, and you can still vote if you haven’t already done so.

Should Newcastle Sign Andy Carroll For £10M?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

We ran this heart wrenching story yesterday on Eve Miller – please help the 10 year-old if you possibly can – many thanks.

eve may 2010

Here are Eve’s Facebook page – and also the Just Giving page.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Andy Carroll · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

199 responses so far ↓

• 1 check the toastie // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Wouldnt sign him, too much money unfortunately, maybe wait a couple of years and get him on a free, he will still only be 25/26ish, perfect.

• 2 Krul to be Kind // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Just read the new targets report and got very excited!

Wijnaldum… now this is a kid that I truly thought was above us, I expect great things from him and I really really hope we sign this kid, he is an amazing attacking talent that can play anywhere in the attacking 3rd but has went off the radar over recent years.

A great piece of business should we get him, but I have a feeling his price will be very big, so I won’t hold my breath on this one but great to be linked all the same!

• 3 sticklebricks // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:05 PM

No doubt the 44% that think he wouldn’t be good value are the same 44% that caused uproar when we sold him for “only” 35M…

• 4 Mackems are from MORDOR! // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:15 PM

NO. Pass. Next
    Sorry AC, you had your chance and made a poor decision. Are Newcastle to bail you out because it didn’t work? And what if he did do well, another club comes calling and he’s away again?
    Ive seen more french players show genuine want to come here and you took your first ticket out. Contracts work 2 ways before anyone throws up that nonsense.

• 5 Super Magpie // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM

No, he isn’t good enough and isn’t the type of player we need. I wouldn’t be too pleased if we signed him in all honesty.

• 6 northernirishtoon // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:20 PM

@indykaila: Mike Ashley has name his price for #Newcastle football Club. He is looking at a 45% profit. The new TV deal is the key here. Talks ongoing

What do ye’s reckon

• 7 Tinman // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:25 PM

- Was very good business when we sold him, no doubt about it
    – I still believe he is a top striker and will definately add to our squad
    – Playing Carroll goes against the way most fans want to see us play
    – He is a geordie and that still matters. A lot.
    – Wages are probably too high for us now
    – Too many injuries
    – 10m too much on recent form

Thats some of the points which influence my opinion and I consequently decide we probably wont or shouldnt sign him. He wont be the main man anymore and I dont think he will want that either.

However if he takes a pay cut, accepts the fact he isnt going to be the star man anymore and we wont play to suit his style….Then and only then can I see a way back for him.

He would be a good addition to our squad nevertheless

• 8 croftus5678 // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:25 PM

7mil and yep i’d have him personally (worth a gamble then)

and i must opologise to ibiza from an earlier post where i stated i would love cambell to play and rest cisse in case of injuries.

but after going away and thinking about it some maybe it would be best to play cisse and bring cambell on as a sub or play them both seeing as cambell play on the defenders shoulders it may stop cisse running offside.

• 9 Tinman // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:28 PM

If he did come he would add to us but I think we would be putting a lot of faith in Pardew to manage him correctly.

This story is getting a bit boring now though. Isnt it Ed…?

• 10 donkeypunch // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Ricky van Wolfswinkel im really not convince about would he be an improvement on cisse or offer us much diffence in attack and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyangnot not really a forward and not really a winger and they both look a bit to light weight for the premier league although pea i think would offer us a lot of pace upfront

• 11 Howay50 // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Let’s face it Andy is a Championship player. NUFC should definetly not buy him unless we are relegated.

• 12 Toon1978 // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Lads, what’s with all the club up for sale reports? Anyon have any more info? Apart from that, if we did get taken over by a rich oil company we wouldn’t be to spend the money like the Chelsea’s or City’s of this world because fair play comes in next year…..typical!!

• 13 croftus5678 // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:34 PM

@3

i can not speak for everyone but you are correct with me.

i did kick up a fuss when we sold him as he was in my eyes an england international and i could not see how he would be replaced (and was not at the time)

but when you take that geordie pride away and look towards the real world ! they was right to sell him and the players they brought in was far superior to him.

considering how much the prem has progressed i now think he is a good striker not great as he does struggle for goals and does have a lot of injuries!

and compare it to the strikers you can get for that price !

• 14 donkeypunch // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:36 PM

The Journal is reporting that Ivorian striker Wilfred Bony will not be a target for Newcastle, although he has been watched – but the thinking of Graham Carr is that he would struggle in the Premier League from a physical point of view . HAD TO LAUGH WHEN I READ THAT THINK WERE TRYING TO HIDE THE FACT THAT WERE REALLY INTERESTED IN HIM

• 15 Rotonda heights // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:39 PM

sticklebricks

was delighted when A.C left and definitely don’t want him back. it’s taken pardew all season to finally ditch hoof ball.

• 16 ToonDarnSarf // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Another Carroll article?! I reckon we should sign Shearer, Beardsley, Waddle & Gazza…

• 17 Howay50 // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Toon 1978 – where are you seeing reports that the club is up for sale? Not seeing it on my screens…..

• 18 tequilamag // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:41 PM

The only person reporting this takeover is that indykaila character. From what I can see of him he either just regurgitates what is on the internet or makes stuff up. He was saying Pardew was going to be sacked back in Jan.. Basically full of sh*t

• 19 Toon1978 // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Howay50

Sorry mate, not up for sale just seeing rumours that Ashley is having talks with Arabs about selling the club. I don’t know how much truth there is in this so i would take it with a pinch at salt.

• 20 donkeypunch // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:45 PM

bony would struggle in the Premier League from a physical point of view] the guys a f*****g beast fast strong and great balance such a smoke sreen from DL putting out that statement were so going to get him in the summer

• 21 Rotonda heights // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I think the only plus point of a takeover would be to get a manager upgrade. Would hate to see the end of what Carr is doing though.

• 22 Tinman // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Whos is watching Celtic v Juve?

Whats the score going to be?!

Place your bets now

• 23 Tsunki // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:47 PM

We have done this story already, its just a result post. Yawneroonie.

Takeover talk? Seeing as TV money would almost certainly be part of the allure to a prospective buyer, and thats not guaraneed, then no.

• 24 Toon1978 // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Rotonda heights

Losing our scouting system would be catastrophic.

• 25 nick_9 // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Sticklebricks what’s the logic behind that comment?

I reckon we might see haidara play a part in Europe for us, perfect opportunity to rest santon. Debuchy cannot play so perhaps Simpson will or haidara. I think Anita and mbiwa will be in there with obertan and I wouldn’t be surprised to see shola start.

——-Elliot/krul——
    Simpson-Taylor-mbiwa-haidara
    ——–tiote—–Anita———-
    Obertan—–Marv——Jonas
    ————-cisse————–

• 26 Tinman // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Nick, Shola is injured

• 27 Tinman // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM

But I do think your very close the actual team

• 28 SpaceGhost // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I agree we should welcome Andy back. Especially when he is a free transfer signing. He will join Newcastle again. Its just a matter of time. I believe he will come home one day. Just like a certain Alan Shearer. A strong, tall player who’s good in the air & a good left foot is always an asset to any team. He could be the Geordie Luca Toni.

• 29 Moat1 // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM

no he isnt the one thats ingured is sammy

• 30 Tinman // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Our injury table

Ameobi – no return date
    Gosling – no return date
    Simpson – no return date
    Ben Arfa – 2 weeks
    Gouffran – 2 weeks
    R Taylor – March
    Vuckic – May
    Vuckic -

• 31 Tinman // Feb 12, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Yeah your right Moat, cheers mate

• 32 nick_9 // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Ah that’s news to me, not sure where I stand on key players playing. We’ve got two weeks spare but I would had to lose the likes of issoko, cabaye and santon to injury. Tiote I would be happy to see play and I think I probably would cisse. Lets face it we might not be back in Europe for a couple of years minimum so why not go for it? I think every football club owe it to their paying fans to try and win every game and the league is looking better than it did after two wins.

• 33 Yohan // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I’m not sure about carroll but I would definately take wanyama from celtic. And hooper. £10m for both of them would be a much better deal.

• 34 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Personally, i dont believe this poll is correct. I think people have voted bringing him in based on getting him in regardless of the 10 mil that you have based the poll on. Alot of people i suspect have voted yes and then comment saying, well, i’d have him for 5-6-7 mil.

I don’t know one Toon fan who would spend our only ten million on bringing Andy Carroll back here. And if the board did it would be a disastrous decision I feel based on the wrong reasons.

• 35 Tinman // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I think we should gamble and play a close to full strength team. Maybe rest Sissoko, he looked tired against the Spurs. Swap Colo for Mbiwa. Stick Anita RB or give Haidara a debut and put Santon RB.
    Try and get the job almost done at St James, then rest one or two in away tie.

Wanyama is shooting too much from long range

• 36 reccerobbo // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Just watching the Valencia PSG match keeping a close eye on sakho he looks a good CB not scared to put his head in and his positional play looks sound. What does others think?

• 37 Yohan // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I don’t know why he keeps shooting from 30 yards because surely he knows that buffon is still world class. God I actually believe that cabaye will be as good as pirlo someday.

• 38 Tinman // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Celtic are trying to make something happen, need to relax, they are on top and should get a goal if they take their time.

Wanyama doesnt half get about a bit though! I am quite interested to see Hooper for the 1st time.

• 39 yo-yo // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Juve playing a lot of long balls – including Pirlo. But the right long ball is really opening up Celtic.
    When is long ball not hoof ball ?

• 40 Tinman // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I think its long ball because its on the counter and its precise. Hoof ball would be if Celtics CB were lumping it up to their forwards? I dunno just suggesting? What do you think yoyo?

• 41 yo-yo // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Hooper’s playing the WUM.

• 42 Yohan // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Hoof ball if not directed whereas long balls played correctly into feet are better than short passing surely?

• 43 yo-yo // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Willo kicks it upfield = hoof ball
    Pirlo kicks it upfield = long ball
    :-)

• 44 yo-yo // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Juve are playing to heads but the forwards have great first touch

• 45 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:28 PM

This Celtic game is crazy :)

• 46 Tinman // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Celtic are doing alright.

I know this ref hasnt done anything wrong but surely in a game between Italian club and Scottish club the ref should be of a neutral nationality? Wouldnt be too hard for UEFA to sort that out right?

• 47 Yohan // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Celtics pressure is something to be admired of though, every player is sprinting to close down balls and getting stuck in.

Why do defenders try so hard to get the attacker away from the goalkeeper? Leave him there and if presses the goalkeeper 9/10 times the ref will give a free kick

• 48 Tinman // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Fascinating game Pappa!

• 49 Tinman // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Yohan, the way Hooper and that defender are wrestling is a total joke. Dont think booking them is the answer though, as it was proved when they did it straight after recieving their yellows…

As i write this, here we go again. Celtic corner haha

• 50 Goodfella // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:31 PM

The ref at Celtic park is rubbish I hope we don’t get anyone as picky as him on thurs

• 51 yo-yo // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Still reckon there is a difference in class

• 52 Tinman // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Goodfella, lets hope he isnt Ukranian. Sure the Celtic fans will be pissed that its an Italian ref

• 53 Rotonda heights // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM

yo yo

pirlo does long accurate passes, willo just hopes for the best.

• 54 Rotonda heights // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:36 PM

carr recommended wanyama when he was 900k!!

• 55 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:37 PM

@ Yohan

You can only press that hard before players start to get tired fast. If they keep it up some of them will be out on their feet by the 60 minute mark. Admiral stuff though :)

• 56 yo-yo // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Tinman

Lichsteiner could have seen red for going straight back in.
    Hardly looks like favouristism from the ref to me

• 57 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Admirable rather

• 58 yo-yo // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Rotonda

So you’ll agree the passes over 30metres stats are just a joke then ?

• 59 Goodfella // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:38 PM

@tinman
    I think he’s Spanish but it might explain some decisions ( strange )

• 60 yo-yo // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Rotonda see post 42

• 61 yo-yo // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Could we play a 3-5-2 ?

successfully I mean.

• 62 Tinman // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Oh I thought I heard he was Italian. Maybe Im wrong.

YoYo, if you read my comment it actually says I know this ref hasnt done anything wrong…. So i hardly accused him of being biased. Merely suggested I wouldnt be happy that he is Italian if it was Newcastle v Juve

• 63 Troy Stavers // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:54 PM

@Tsunki

Has there been anything in the press regarding a takeover or is it just pub rumours?

• 64 poon army // Feb 12, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Here’s a true story:

There was once a striker who made his debut at 17 for his hometown club. In his second year he became a true first teamer, and helped the club to be promoted to the premier league. In his first two premier league seasons he scored in double figures, even earning his first England cap, before being sold by his hometown club to Liverpool for a record transfer fee.

The hometown club is Leicester City, and the striker is Emile Heskey.

If this question was posed: “who wants a young emile heskey at NUFC for 10 million pounds?” the polling would be 99% against.

People need to get over the fact he is from Newcastle and accept a Heskey-like career is Carroll best case scenario.

• 65 croftus5678 // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:03 PM

@tinman

are you sure thats shola injured ? as i know sammy ameobi is.

• 66 reccerobbo // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Ref is Spanish but I reckon he is favouring juve the CB is all over hooper every set play

• 67 toonfield // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:08 PM

On carol, i think there will be one price for us and another lower price for everybody else. It doesnt matter how much hes worth liverpool will not want to give him back to us on the cheap compared to the amount they wasted. I for one would like to see him back if we could get him for 10 mill but i really cant see us getting him for that price

• 68 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I have said this before and I will say it again, Carroll is only as good as the team around him. He is not like Ibrahimovic or Mario Gomez as he has a pretty basic ground game and can’t create much for himself. He is taylor made for Stoke or even where he is at the Hammers but we are a totally different team than when he left us.

If we could snap him up for 1 or 2 million then I would take him but we could pick up another 2 Carr gems for the 10 million being quoted. Also I guarentee if he wasn’t from Gateshead we would not be having this conversation.

• 69 Spreadthetoon // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Freelance journalist ?@indykaila

@hughsouthon @whufc_news Newcastle willing to pay 15m. I met Carroll on the tube couple months back and his heart set on #NUFC

Give over, the lads worth more like 5-7m max!

• 70 Spreadthetoon // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:15 PM

northernirishtoon
    btw looks like the talks are with a middle eastern group. tbf I just want our club run on a viable basis and MA has redeemed himself in the last tfr window, as long as he does the same again this summer, I’d say job done. Then we can concentrate on silver ware. Sometimes better to know the devil than the one you don’t even though I’m not Mike’s biggest fan either! But don’t want foreign ownership if it means that the club is put into more debt like Man U for example where they leveraged against the assets and cashflow streams!

• 71 yo-yo // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM

tinman

Wasn’t taking a pop.
    But Lichsteiner ought to be off

• 72 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I love that 9 times out of 10 Buffon rolls it out to the defence rather than booting it downfield. I would like Krul to pass it out from the back more provided Willo & Simpson aren’t in the starting line up that is ;)

• 73 donkeypunch // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:21 PM

there a reason why heskey was givan so many england caps and why so many manergers had faith in him players like that make the whole team tick and bring other players more in to the game Forwards are judged far to much on their goalscoring. Heskeys and your andy carrols main contributions to the team lie in the way they hold the ball up and draws defenders out, leaving space behind him for another player to score.

• 74 yo-yo // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Celtic out

• 75 donkeypunch // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:24 PM

ill have heskey over a cisse any day of the week

• 76 northernirishtoon // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Spread

Spot on mate. You know something is being done right when you don’t want a billionaire Arab taking over lol

However I still believe it is the only way we will ever challenge top four consistently

• 77 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Pogba is a cracking player. Fergie will regret letting him go IMO

• 78 nick_9 // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Hoping that’s sarcasm

• 79 yo-yo // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Celtic out and well down

• 80 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:28 PM

For all Celtic’s heavy pressing early on they are paying the price now. Knew they would get tired

• 81 wartongeordie // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Have you all lost your memories ,AC scored good goals and at his best was unplayable against , like the time he headed the ball out of the Arsenal keepers hands ,you seem to be judging him on present form playing for a club he does not want to be at , he is a local lad and will give it all for the toon , you were all up in arms when he was poached !!!!

• 82 yo-yo // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:30 PM

You need more patience with MA than a bunch of ‘investors’. But we are more sound the way it is.
    No reason to sell a controlling share – could be a consortium type ownership

• 83 check the toastie // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Gotta say the club is currently ran superbly, the blueprint in fact for running a successful and sustainable club. A few extra millions from some rich Arabs wouldnt go amiss, Carr can source an even better quality of player and we could pay a little bit more to keep the vultures away, perfect scenario.

Would actually dislike going down the soulless path both Chelsea and Man City have taken, think our club has more soul than that, our area is about hard work, effort and deserved reward, thats how i want our eventual snippets of success to be earned, not just bought.

Would also keep the same transfer policy, recruiting younger players with desire to prove a point and ruffle some feathers, maybe we could just buy a little more class, e.g. Vertonghen, Siem De Jong, Sakho, take a chance on Tom Ince, that type of thing.

Its probably all bullsh1t though and you never know one day Ashley may do this, once our profits are up.

:) :)

• 84 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:33 PM

To be fair warton,

The reason I was up in arms was that the board had sold our striker without a replacement lined up so late in the window.

The 35 mil was a bonus. Unbelievable really.

• 85 check the toastie // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Andy Carrolls injury record is disgraceful, dont see the point of signing the lad back until he proves he can play a sequence of games, hes like a forward Woodgate without the ability.

Actually was gutted when the lad left as he was immense for us, but just cant see us paying money for someone who may spend a lot of time on the bench or in the treatment room. Not our type of business.

If we signed him, i would be pleased though, bizarrely.

• 86 check the toastie // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Used to dislike Neil Lennon, but gotta say sets his team up aggressively in the CL and has performed miracles with lets face it a pretty shitty side. Seems to have chilled a bit as well. Think Rangers falling apart has took the pressure off.

• 87 Spreadthetoon // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Wandering
    I was never up in arms at us selling Carrol for £35m are u mad man! LOL The only thing that was poor about it was we had very little cover that’s all. The lad is not proven and like I ‘ve said £5-7m and £40K / week then perhaps but £10-15m there are much better buys out there IMO.

• 88 89Norcal // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:40 PM

“But it seems that Newcastle were never interested in Ivory Coast International striker Wilfried Bony of Vitesse, according to what Derek LLambias said this morning in the Newcastle Journal.”

Thanks Llambarse, I already bought him in FIFA Career Mode :)

• 89 ToonDarnSarf // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Yeah, I’d take a young Heskey for £10m for sure. I’m not knocking Cisse, because everyone has periods of bad form, but I don’t believe Heskey would have scored less this season for us when in his peak, and he’d have created a lot more chances for the rest of the team.

Dunno about Carroll being a version of him anyway. And besides, the biggest issues with him at the moment are his wages and injury record.

• 90 yo-yo // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:41 PM

check

Prob first time I have agreed with you but am with you all the way on how the club is run.
    A warchest of £20m from foreign investors would be useful but we don’t want MA to lose control

• 91 poon army // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Agreed Check,

He had 2 nice half seasons for us but is such a sicknote he is not worth the risk. For 10 million, or even 5 million, why not spend it on someone with a better scoring record and injury history. Its quite clear that with our transfer policy we dont have the money to miss on a player very often!

• 92 ToonDarnSarf // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:45 PM

No chance that Ashley would sell the club now, unless he needs the cash for another investment, and I don’t think that will be the case considering his recent business successes.

He’s been trying to get the club to this stage for years. We have several truly world class players of a decent age (who ‘should’ only go up in value) and we have a scouting network bringing in new young players every year. If he believes in his plan (and I’m sure he does), then he’ll want to see the results first (Newcastle with minimal debt, in/challenging for the CL, able to keep their best players etc.) before he considers selling for a tidy sum.

• 93 Spreadthetoon // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:45 PM

northernirishtoon

Consistency eh? Well I think once you have a team capable of competing then its a different story……so our long awaited days of silver ware may not be that far off.

Agree that I do not want our success to be bought outright, grafted with a couple more additions. I would not object to partial ownership like 20% for our club debt to be wiped out and profits put back into the club.

• 94 ToonDarnSarf // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:47 PM

You don’t design an amazing house and then flog it when it’s partially built unless you absolutely have to. It will be worth a lot more when it’s completed.

• 95 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:47 PM

It should also be noted, he didn’t care about NUFC or the number 9 and everything that came with it when Liverpool came calling doubling his wage packet.

• 96 Spreadthetoon // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:51 PM

apologies post @ 86 should read
    wartongeordie ‘s post response

• 97 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:52 PM

35 Million and the squad we have now

or

Keep Carroll

hmmmmmmmm……. :)

• 98 ToonDarnSarf // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:57 PM

@Toon-Prodigy- You see, I’ve never believed that at all. Here’s what I think happened.
    1 – Liverpool offer £30m
    2 – NUFC reject it because there’s no time for a replacement and relegation will cost more than that
    3 – Carroll’s agent says Liverpool were willing to pay £80kpw and if Newcastle & Liverpool value his client at £30m or more, then he should be getting paid more than his existing contract
    4 – Ashley and Llambias were not willing to pay Carroll more so best case was that he would go to Liverpool in the Summer, when Newcastle needed to sell rather than Liverpool needed to buy (so, for a lot less money).
    5 – Ashley and Llambias are stubborn bastards and good businessmen, so they phoned up Liverpool and said £35m and not a penny less
    6 – Sleeper agent Carroll was implanted…only to awaken when wearing black and white stripes again…

• 99 bollance // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Correct me if I am wrong. For Ashley to make a 45% profit we need to be selling the club for around £640m?

The playing squad is worth around £160-200m. As a business we break even more or less. Is that a good investment for a potential buyer?

If I had £640m I would not buy the club. The reason is I know I wouldnt be able to do as good a job as those in charge now.

• 100 Graeme // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Spread – hopefully this will be evident when a squad as strong as started against Spuds, fronts up on Thursday night!! If Pards doesn’t go balls out to win the tie on Thursday night, he needs to seriously examine why he fought to qualify for it.

Given there are almost 2 weeks to the next league game, Thursday has to be a chance that should be grasped with both hands.

• 101 ToonDarnSarf // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM

4 should read, best case if they rejected the offer. We would have been stuck with a confused player with the agent saying that Newcastle are undervaluing him (and we know how agents can twist things). He was only young too. Then he would have gone for much less in the summer, or if nobody wanted him then his confidence would take a serious hit too.

• 102 yo-yo // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:01 PM

bollance

And how much is SJP worth ?
    Not many football grounds right in the middle of big cities anymore. Bet that’s well over £100m

• 103 martoon // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:01 PM

On the subject of Carroll there is a theory that alcohol makes you more prone to injuries like muscle strains etc -Keiron Dyer was a prime example. I sometimes wonder if this could be Carroll’s problem as well.

• 104 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:05 PM

ToonDarnSarf,

That’s quite a conspiracy theory ;) 9-11 was a cover up aswell :)

On a serious note though, he had just signed a brand new 5 year deal with a significant wage increase. If we re-structured that, then our wage structure would of went to pieces in regards to the rest of the squad.

He never had to go, but the truth is he did. There is no getting away from that fact in my eyes.

• 105 bollance // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Yo yo

Yes correct. There are also plans to refurb Shearers bar and rename bobbys.

Plus all of the corporate facilities within the stadium. Yes it will be worth over £100m. Elland road was £30-40m over 10 years ago. Good call.

• 106 Tsunki // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:12 PM

troy – if you are still there its just twitsville and its on sad itk news generator and maybe ryder brushing it off. nothing to see, like this thread I’m afraid which has turned into a hoops blog :)

• 107 ToonDarnSarf // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:18 PM

@Toon-Prodigy – Not even really a conspiracy theory. From what I’ve read, there was a £30m bid rejected and the response late in the date was £35m (£15m less than Torres). I just don’t believe that Carroll demanded to go given that he was on an excellent wage, playing well for his hometown club, and had recently got the number 9 shirt. Agents have a lot of control these days, so the only factor I can think of is that money took over on both sides.

From Carroll’s communication at the time, it didn’t sound like he felt he had much choice in the matter. And the same could be said for the club..

• 108 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I meant on your point 6 ;) in regards to the conspiracy theory.

Agents don’t get the last words, the player does.

Don’t get me wrong, im sure Ashley wanted the money, there was no way on gods earth Carroll was worth that much money. It was a deal of a lifetime for them and NUFC.

Once Carroll started barking for more money though that was it. There was no way we were going to re-buff his contract after just giving him one, just because Liverpool came calling in regards to doubling his wages.

He and his agent generated the move. Ashley simply went no bother off you go I’ll have the 35 mil. Everyone is a winner.

He couldn’t be forced out though, he had to make that decision himself.

• 109 Tsunki // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Er the offer was £35m and a bigger wage and cut for the player and agent. Goodnight.

• 110 bollance // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:36 PM

On the Carroll debate. He changed his agent to the same agent as Nolan prior to the move. Co-incidence?

• 111 bollance // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Goodnight

• 112 bollance // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Tsunki

Sorry! Couldn’t resist it!

• 113 joe // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Anyone watched the Celtic Juve match? Anyway i’ve been just looking at the Celtic forums and it’s gone absolutely mental in there! They’re saying that the referee was bribed, Juve are cheating b*astards, quite amusing actually! But anyone who knows Italian football must surely know that Italians are the best in the world at knowing how to win, and the very core principal of the cattenacio is heavy man marking in the box and to stop your man at all costs! Guess Celtic just aren’t used to it.

Also, gotta say that Neil Lennon was a bit naive in setting his team out to play so aggressively. Think they might be better off being more patient and restrained. Anyone could see they were gonna tire around the 70 min mark and man were they punished!

• 114 bollance // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Basically the agent and the club forced the move. Too much ££ on the line

• 115 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Bollance,

Aye he did, I reckon Nolan had a lot to do with it to be honest.

• 116 bollance // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Joe

Watched second half and not too impressed with wagamana the midfielder. Man utd are supposed to be interested. Not good enough for them on that showing.

Felt sorry for Forster

• 117 bollance // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Toon

Another person around Carroll at the time who would have also pushed him to make the move.

Also the fact his car was torched again could have pushed him which was in the months leading up to Xmas. I think he got the car to celebrate his new contract. A chrome ranger over.

Well, it is all history now and we have certainly capitalised on the cash even if the cynical want to think MA trousered the lot.

We pretty much have a brand new team to show for it!

• 118 Graeme // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Whatever. Its history, He’s a Liverfool player until such times as some other mugs agree to pay their asking price.

Its of no consequence to us, has nothing to do with us. We sold him; he left for even bigger fame and glory and it all went tits-up.

He isn’t the first, he wont be the last, get over it.

• 119 joe // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Bollance

Wanyama was decent tonight. He’s good for Celtic but he lacks a certain stardust quality which will put him up there along the likes of Scholes and Carrick (yes CARRICK!) me thinks. Anyway for all their effort Celtic just lacked quality in the final 3rd. Was watching the game with one of my Scottish mates and even he said this was a typical Scottish performance. Guts, sweat, toil, but no glory.

Also the Italian defenders were extremely rough especially on set pieces, but that part of the game is etched into their DNA since the invention of the catenaccio and with Celtic’s main threat coming from set pieces I could see why they did it!

• 120 Cisse09 // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:50 PM

We av gone up in the world since Carroll.. Better players much better squad! Wouldn’t of thought he would fit into our plans .. That’s where I think pardew fails.. Andy Carroll means high balls into box!!

• 121 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Also sick of this Carroll talk,

I just hope we don’t shell out 10 mill for him.

Our scouting system could find a pearler for that.

Roll on the game on thursday, missed all the footy tonight im at work!

• 122 jayphoto // Feb 12, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Think alot of people forget theyre football fans and not club accountants! On Andy Carroll, i would love him back on the condition that the money he would cost doesnt come from a transfer fund for other players! If its a case of weve just got 20m to spend id rather we looked elsewhere but if it were a case of 20m plus Carroll if hes available then i would love him back, anything to improve the side and carroll would do that

• 123 jayphoto // Feb 12, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Also someone commented that carroll is destined to be like heskey…. Should probably look at the strikerate of players that played upfront with Heskey, all of them had their best goal return playing with heskey! Michael Owen for liverpool and england, Agbonlahor for villa, rodallega for wigan all scored lots more when playing with heskey to any other time in their careers! How many would be ok with carroll scoring 5-10 a season if alongside him cisse scored 25-30

• 124 Brutooon // Feb 13, 2013 at 12:18 AM

10 million?

opportunity cost:
    1) One Cisse and one Goufrron
    2) 10 Gouffron

• 125 HAZZY1 // Feb 13, 2013 at 12:42 AM

I know what people r saying about big andy with his injuries but what about s.taylor he has a worse history do we want rid of him I think we should look at cb before st as colo is gone in the summer and mbiwa will replace him but s.taylor will not last a whole season Ive heard we r still very keen on A.Rami from valencia and they need cash fast maybe a deal can be done now for the summer what do u lot think?

• 126 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 13, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Jayphoto,

id rather bring back heskey from America then, alot cheaper ;)

• 127 HAZZY1 // Feb 13, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Id love it just love it if big andy came home and scored 20+ for the next 5yrs what u would people think then maybe not 20+ but 10-15 at least with the right service just watched some youtube vids of him when he was in form for us he was unstoppable and now he is more mature which will make him a better all round player more assists for cisse and goofy

• 128 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 13, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Sorry,

Back from OZ!

• 129 jimmysmith // Feb 13, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I honestly think those dissing him now have short memories.

• 130 HAZZY1 // Feb 13, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Also if we do bring back Andy id love us to bring back Zog’s as well he was a class player I was gutted when we sold him for R.Taylor he is french and home grown and would provide us with quality crosses for big Andy just my opinion we could also nick Benteke as well he is a proper FWD strong and quick with both feet and great in the air Big Andy and him would destroy teams.

• 131 nick_9 // Feb 13, 2013 at 1:14 AM

JayPhoto – perhaps that’s because the club base their decisions on the accounts now more so than ever before. The club have turned us all into accountants because of their ways, it’s like brutoon said that its about opportunity cost. Sell one player for 35 and buy 6 or 7 players? Great business. Buy one player for what would be the biggest fee we’ve paid in five years based on six months of form? Not for me. At the end of the day we don’t get a say in what the club spend but If they’re prepared to spend 10m on a striker we know there won’t be much left to go around. Anyhow the window has just shut so all this is a tad silly, we end up discussing certain players for months on end and then get frustrated when it doesn’t happen.

• 132 HAZZY1 // Feb 13, 2013 at 1:15 AM

No offence to R.Taylor he has been a true pro and scored some great goals but I would have loved to keep Zogs I had high hopes for him with NUFC I hope he does come back someday A.Hughes as well I know Ive had a few drinks but he is still a class CB.

• 133 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 1:24 AM

jimmysmith // Feb 13, 2013 at 1:07 AM
    “10 million is peanuts for a young enlish international centre forward. Of course you’d bring him back at that price. He’s a geordie for goodness sake and he was great for us and potentially something quite unique and devastating which is why pool speculated the 35 mill.

I honestly think those dissing him now have short memories. ”

What a load of nonsense. So because he is English, 10 million is suddenly cheap?! Are you kidding me?, why should his nationality have any say in his price tag?

Danny Graham was 5 mill. Danny Graham scored 15 goals in 55 games, Andy Carroll managed a meager 8 in 56, yet Andy Carroll is twice the price?

Newcastle now and Newcastle with Andy Carroll, are two vastly different teams. With Carroll we were reliant on hoof balls, Barton being one of the main suppliers of crosses for Andy’s goals, and Nolan’s bullish runs into the box.

Newcastle of today, when without willo are more ground based in terms of how they play. We are no longer catered to having to rely on hoofing the ball up to a giraffe.

Now before anyone spouts this nonsense “Andy Carroll is young… he can adapt to our style.. blah blah ” you are sadly mistaken. Rather then Andy Carroll adapting to liverpools style of football, it was liverpool as a squad who had to change their style of football just to accommodate Andy. With Andy on the pitch they played more hoofballs. They had Gerrard who is one of the best crossers of the ball, Downing (while at Villa at least, was also a good crosser) Yet Carroll struggled.

Now Andy is at West Ham. A team whose manager only knows how to play hoof ball.. you would think that Andy and West Ham would be a perfect match… yet he only snagged two goals for them so far.

So what have we learned?

1. He can’t adapt his footballing style evident at Liverpool
    2. He struggles to score at a club designed to be perfect for him.
    3. He is twice the price of a player vastly superior to him in front of goal.

You want an English forward that can score goals. Go after Adam Le Fondre. 22 goals in 55 games, and british (much to my shock as well)

Don’t be blinded by Andy’s sale of 35mill. That was just liverpool being daft. Value players on current form, and Andy carrolls current form is cr@p, and it has been cr@p ever since leaving us.

• 134 NUFC_LEAZES END // Feb 13, 2013 at 1:31 AM

only reason why I want us to sign him is because he’s English. not because hes better than our other targets or that I forgot about him throwing his legendary boyhood no.9 top for a bit of extra coin. I am just worried that we are buying too many foreigners, even if they are amazingly value for money ( yohan cabaye £4.7 mil :O )

• 135 jimmysmith // Feb 13, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Phoenix you are a miserable prick, go and support another club. Carrolls black and white.

• 136 NUFC_LEAZES END // Feb 13, 2013 at 1:39 AM

@jimmysmith

I wouldn’t say phoenix is a prick, I happen to totally agree with him, his 3 bulletpoints are hard facts about andy carroll’s adapting abilities, which are very poor. People like you are just too blind to see that though.

• 137 NUFC_LEAZES END // Feb 13, 2013 at 1:41 AM

@phoenix
    if u didn’t mention that hes injury prone, then I just thought i’d through it in there :) I couldn’t be bothered to read all of your paragraphs haha

• 138 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 1:43 AM

hahahaha, you don’t even bother to counter argue? Instead you result to insults? You sir, are a joke.

Miserable? No. I’m just not blinded by the stupidity behind buying a flop for 10million.

Danny Graham is black and white. Just like Andy Carroll he is a Newcastle supporter, he pretty much scored twice the amount of goals Andy has scored in a similar amount of games. Between him and Carroll, Graham should be the one worth anything close to 10million.

However since you seem to not care about money being flushed down the toilet and clubs overpaying for players, why not go support QPR?, They don’t seem to mind overpaying for average players. You should fit in with them.

• 139 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 1:46 AM

@Nufc_leazes_End

Nah, I didn’t mention that. Thought it be too hard to counter argue if I did :P….

honestly.. I just forgot… lol.

• 140 jimmysmith // Feb 13, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Listen just because he struggled at Pool doesn’t make him a poor player. He was injured, overawed and playing second fiddle to Suarez.

Secondly, he has played well at West Ham but his season has been curtailed by injury and his game is far more than scoring goals.

Thirdly if he is” twice the price of a player vastly superior to him in front of goal”, please feel free to name these players and why they are not just better strikers but would offer more to the side.

Andy Carroll bashing is a load of shite.

• 141 jimmysmith // Feb 13, 2013 at 1:51 AM

One last word, Phoenix youre not a Geordie, Carroll is and he busted his gut for his beloved Toon and would do so again. Youre a blowhard,

• 142 NUFC_LEAZES END // Feb 13, 2013 at 1:57 AM

players I would rather have than donkey carroll:

le fondre
    Charlie Austin
    gary hooper
    agent graham ( even though he is shit )

• 143 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Your first comment, would probably have some foundation, if Carroll was going to be our number one choice. But he isn’t. Newcastle have not been buying players designed for hoof ball, majority of our play now is on the ground. Carroll’s forte is in the air, due to his height. If anything, Carroll would only be a taller replacement for Strolla Ameobi. 10 mill for a 3rd choice striker thats only good quality is his height. No thank you.

“His season has been curtailed by injury, He was injured at liverpool”

… and what makes you think he won’t be injured for Newcastle?. 10million for an injury prone flop? Where is the logic in this? All you’ve done here is provide more reason as to why we should avoid Andy Carroll.

All Andy Carroll would offer is height and an Aerial threat. We could get all that and more for a similar price by looking abroad. Wilfried Bony is a fine example, great in the air and physical and overall better on the ground then Andy carroll is. Also valued at 10million.

I can’t believe some people are judging him by his half a season performance with us over his 1and a 1/2 seasons at Liverpool and half a season at West Ham.

If it where any other player with an abysmal goals per game ratio as his and injury prone, you would be calling for Mike Ashley to sell the club, for Pardew to be sacked and for llambias to jump off a cliff for even considering paying stupid money for that type of player.

• 144 jimmysmith // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:00 AM

You two are a couple of kids aren’t you. I should have realised. My apologies.

• 145 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:00 AM

if it were*

• 146 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:02 AM

If anyone is a kid, it is you Jimmy.

The mere fact that because someone disagree’s with you, you result to insults and avoiding the argument all but supports this.

• 147 jimmysmith // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:08 AM

I vehemently disagree with you and I think you’ve turned on your own in a highly subjective and mean spirited manner, in other words I think you’re a miserable prick, kid or not.

• 148 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Your just digging yourself into a bigger hole.

Unless you want to actually support your claims about Carroll with actual evidence as opposed to excuses and name calling, I have no reason to bother entertaining your child like behavior.

• 149 jimmysmith // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:17 AM

• 150 donkeypunch // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:19 AM

god people think now just cus we have some good tecnical players were just going to start passing the ball into the back of the net like barcalona im sorry but were far from that were 4 points of relagation we wasent in that postion when AC was here

• 151 donkeypunch // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:24 AM

premier league is like no other league you need players who can battle and are up for the fight yerre its good that were getting tecnical players in be we still need the players who are going to fight for the team who will put the there body on the line

• 152 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:34 AM

jimmysmith // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:17 AM

“Phoenix, Carrolls’ performances for us speak for themselves. You state one side of the argument to support your miserly view and we are talking hypothetically at a price of 10 mill for a player who still has extraordinary potential.

I’m afraid you are the one with the unbalanced view, hence ill considered terms like giraffe, injury prone flop etc.”

—————————–

Your right. His performances speak for themselves. 8 goals in 56 games, struggled for 1 and a half seasons at Liverpool, Struggled for half a season at West Ham so far. Many Players have potential, not every player meets that potential. There were high expectations when Shola was still a young player, he was even chosen over Lua Lua. Has shola met those expectation?. No. Connor Wickham was expected to be a good signing. Where is he now?.

Unbalanced view?
    I am basing my views on 2 seasons in the premier league. (1 1/2 at Liverpool, 1/2 at West Ham). You are judging him on half a season at Newcastle in the BPL. If anyone is judging him unfairly it certainly is not me. I’m judging him on the majority of his career as a BPL player, not just a fraction of it. You base your opinions on the past, I’m basing my argument on the present… and presently Andy Carroll is not worth anywhere near 10million and has not been for the last year or so.

Am I wrong to call him injury prone?. It was you after all that stated he was injured at liverpool, he has been injured at West Ham. Injured everywhere he has been since leaving Newcastle… hmm.. I’m sure there is a proper term for that…

A flop: Someone whom great things are expected from, yet they are unable to meet those expectations. Is that not what Andy Carroll is?. He certainly hasn’t been setting the world alight with his performances.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

donkeypunch // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:19 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    We weren’t in that position when Andy Carroll wasn’t here last season. I’m confident 5th place was more then 4 points above Relegation.

• 153 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:37 AM

@Donkeypunch

1 player is not going to suddenly turn the club into a Champions league team. Especially when that 1 player is a player that only brings height and an Aerial threat to the team, and has been struggling to find any form for nearly two years.

• 154 jimmysmith // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:41 AM

C’mon Phoenix, why so dismissive of the positives in Carrolls game. He can score spectacular goals that send a shiver down an ardent fans spine, can bully the hardest defenders in the world, has a genuine charisma and finally, above all else, I hear he speaks very highly of you.

• 155 Shane // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:41 AM

A French lad at work has just told me we’ve already agreed to sign Aubameyang this summer… :O

• 156 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:47 AM

I’m not being dismissive, I’m just judging him on how he has performened recently.

He is physical, he is good in the air, he has long black hair. But for 10million, we could get all that and more by looking elsewhere, more so we could get a confident player.

I don’t fall for this gimmick that because a player is English, they should have a couple million added on to their actual value.

If we could get Andy carrol for say 5 mill or around there, fine. But at 10mill, he simply is not worth it especially based on current form.

Andy Carroll is in the past. Was great for Newcastle, abysmal everywhere else. I feel we should be investing in the future, not the past. Especially not in a player that has had such a poor run of form for the last year or so.

There is no guarantee that Andy Carroll will return to his best when he comes to Newcastle, who play differently now then when we had him, Barton, Nolan and for 10 million, it is not worth the gamble

• 157 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:49 AM

@Shane

If that is true, that would be great. But aren’t United sniffing around him as well?

• 158 jimmysmith // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Fine. I’m not exactly champing at the bit for his return although I admit i’d like to see it happen, unlikely as that is I suppose, but I do remember some stunning performances in a black and white shirt and for that he surely deserves respect and admiration despite his difficulties since.

• 159 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Did anyone see Andy Carrolls welcome? When he came back with Liverpool?

There will be alot of upset people should he return, no doubt about it.

There is a small minority on here who would like him back based on poor logic revolving around “he is a geordie”.

Complete rubbish.

• 160 Shane // Feb 13, 2013 at 3:02 AM

I have absolutely no idea if it is true, but he said we definitely have agreed to sign him this summer, I asked how he knew and he said friends in France have told him… I’m going to hope it’s true. Would be much better than Carroll. Carroll’s ok. He was great for us but the prem is changing and has done so much since then.. teams are coming up and playing keep ball and really giving it a go. Carroll is the sort of die hard, big strong target man of the old premier league, not the quick, skill full, clinical player we see more of today.

• 161 jimmysmith // Feb 13, 2013 at 3:05 AM

For the life of me I can’t imagine any decent, fair minded fan being “upset” by his return.

I do accept it may not be in his, our our interests, but I don’t see why anyone would feel they had the right to get upset about it.

• 162 manxpie // Feb 13, 2013 at 3:10 AM

i only need to show you 1 video too show you what carroll brought to the team and 1 video only !!
    now tell me you wouldn’t want him back

• 163 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 13, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Jimmy,

There is not one lad, bloke, kid in newcastle who didnt grow up wanting to be number 9 for the Toon.

The lad had it, and threw it away after a year to double his money.

Thats the sad truth here.

If you would welcome him back, then fair do’s ill respect that. But you will be in a very small minority I deem. And thats just one reason. His footballing attributes are very limited also for the money they want. Money which we could do a hell of a lot more with. Money dosn’t grow on tree’s with us. It needs to be well spent.

This is my last post on this topic.

• 164 jimmysmith // Feb 13, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Toon Prodigy, I suggest you trawl back to bollances’ comments on this thread. I think he sums up the Carroll departure very well.

• 165 manxpie // Feb 13, 2013 at 3:29 AM

toon-prodigy but you have to admit loyalty went out of football long before the carroll saga
    imagine if you were him he was the british record treansfer fee, he’d just scored 11 goals in his first half season in the pl at the age of 21-22, his agent telling him (and nolan)how good his career is gonna be if he moves (financially and career wise)!!!
    there’s alot of ticks there if your young and don’t know wat your getting into but wat i bet he didn’t think off is the PRESSURE he had under that fee!! (look at torres!)
    look at that video i posted and there’s many more of that season of how he played that season
    he played with his heart on his sleeve and absolute passion AND he was good with the ball at his feet wich many posters seem to have forgot!!

• 166 manxpie // Feb 13, 2013 at 3:45 AM

oh and by the way all of that was in a few hours!!
    thats a hell of a decision too make in that time!!

• 167 Tino-asprilla // Feb 13, 2013 at 5:21 AM

Please dont sign Andy for 10mil ,use that 10 and a few more to try sign WILFRED BONY…this guy is an excellent striker so powerful and great close control… I’ve been watching as many vittese games as I can and this guy is unbelievable…a beast.

• 168 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2013 at 6:10 AM

Toon prodigy,
    54% of the vote can’t be classed as a small minority tbf.

• 169 Santon03 // Feb 13, 2013 at 6:30 AM

I will say yes for AC return for 10m, not because he is a Geordie.
    He has made us 25m then and there is no harm having him back as long as with the right wage. He will give us option in front of goal, so far we only have Shola, he will make our wingers easier to find target to cross to. Who knows that he will be back to his goal scoring form again.
    I can only see positives having him back beside +25m that he already made for us.

• 170 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 13, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Jail,

I’v stated twice I don’t believe that poll is a fare result. I think alot of people have voted on the presumption we can have him back for 5-6-7-8 million. Not the 10 million which is asked in the vote. I’v read alot of comments on here have stated that as such.

I don’t believe as many would spend our only 10 million on AC as Ba’s replacement.

Lets leave this now eh.. It’s went on three days lol.

• 171 TorqToon // Feb 13, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Manx – Always remember how brilliantly Shola took his 2nd goal!

The technique was unreal and to get that sort if power behind the strike is incredible.

The good thing about that game is it shows the there is more to AC’s game than just the long ball. His running was superb and his work rate, fantastic.

I’d have him back as something different to bring to the team, but it HAS to be around £7-8mil and at a proper wage within our structure.

• 172 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 7:24 AM

With all the BPL experienced forwards that are English and we have a realistic chance of Signing.

I’d rather that 10mill or the majority of it be used in a bid to draw Adam Le Fondre, super sub, scores goals, only 26, English and therefore home grown, has french blood in him, name sounds French.

Its almost a perfect fit is it not?

That being said, I still believe there are better options elsewhere and that 10mill can be invested wisely.

• 173 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 13, 2013 at 7:36 AM

“has french blood in him, name sounds French.”

LOL! Very funny Phoenix ;)

• 174 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Adam Le Fondre’s grandfather is french. :3 But he is homegrown. Born in England.

Debuchery, Dreamboat and Le Fondue.

• 175 Transfer Sage // Feb 13, 2013 at 7:43 AM

why keep going on about AC….we know its 50/50 whether people want him here or not.

We know pardew and llambias would like him if the deal was right.

Lets just wait and see. I’m not keen on him coming back but if he does I’ll support him 100% as I would any player we sign.

• 176 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 13, 2013 at 7:47 AM

At the minute I couldn’t give a toss about AC
    More important is getting through this season – staying in the premiership and hopefully going further in Europe.

• 177 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Well to be fair Sage… this thread is basically about Andy Carroll… we ain’t really off topic :P

• 178 Transfer Sage // Feb 13, 2013 at 7:50 AM

phoenix

I’m not complaining at you lot….just the thought of the newest thread being all about AC again…it’s driving me insane haha.

I hope he could improve as a footballer coming back, he could do as he shows some glimpses of good technique no doubt about it, my only concern is his willingness to improve that side of his game coupled with his injury record the past 2 years.

• 179 Transfer Sage // Feb 13, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Maybe we can strike some sort of deal. Get carroll but also get somebody on the opposite end of the footballing spectrum like messi or iniesta?

• 180 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Personally, I don’t care who the footballer is.

All I care about is their form and whether or not that form equals the asking price. If Andy was banging in goals left right and center like he was for us, I’d be thrilled to have him come back, however that is not the case.

I’d rather we didn’t spend money chasing after the shadow of a once highly sought after prospect and hoping he some how rekindles his form.

I mean its all fine for some fans to say he may find his form.. he was great for us.. yadda yadda… but what if he isn’t? Nothing in the last 2 years has suggested that he will be anywhere near back to his best, and for 10mill… thats a big gamble.

• 181 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 7:57 AM

@Transfer Sage

Or maybe even both? With a buy 2 get 1 free sort of package? Bring Xavi along for the ride as well?

• 182 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 7:59 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Krul~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Debuchy~Saylor~Mbiwa~Santon~
    ~~~~~Xavi~~~~Cabaye~~Iniesta~~
    ~~Messi~~~~~~~Shola~~~~~Ben arfa

What a team that is… a man can dream…

• 183 Transfer Sage // Feb 13, 2013 at 8:02 AM

phoenix

Well if the offer is on then go for it haha.

I agree on AC, nothing in the past 2 years suggests he can recapture his form he had here for 6months in the prem league. That’s what puts me off.

• 184 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 13, 2013 at 8:06 AM

A new day full of new challenges and new topics to debate…so, what we discussing? Oh right…Wor Andy…

*smacks head against desk*

Morning all.

• 185 jayphoto // Feb 13, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Would like Carroll back if he came with Aubameyang! A striking pecking order here of PEA (if we sign him he’ll be first choice, great player) and Gouffran fighting out for left of a 3, then Cisse and Carroll fighting for centre with HBA on the right also fighting for position with gouffran who is comfortable either side! Add shola in behind those and PEA, Cisse, Gouffran and Carroll give us 4 great striking options which all offer a different threat! Like i said, would love Carroll back but as a 3rd choice striker, think his injury record shows you cant build a team around him

• 186 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 8:19 AM

I’d like to see Goofy start Central and feeding off the through balls from Sissoko

• 187 jayphoto // Feb 13, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Tbh the way our board have used summer transfer windows, i’ll be happy with anything that strengthens us as a squad! Carroll would do that! Agree we could sign better players but thats always the case with any player unless you sign ronaldo or messi! We dont sign anyone without Ashley, Pardew and Carr all agreeing first! If Carr and pardew think carroll is going to help us and ashley wants to stump up the pennies thats fine by me! Carroll is better than Gomis who weve been heavily linked with!

• 188 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 13, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Cockney (from last night)…Hardly the same as playing Giggs every week at Man U. Firstly giggs is pushing 40, Jonas is pushing 30. I know that Jonas is declining, but come on now. The other problem with your statement is the mention of Nani and Valencia. Are Marv or Obertan better or even as good as those two on the wing (on a consistent basis)? I don’t think so really.

I think it’s not a question of just favouring being defensive over attacking, but if the attack options are lacking or not consistent then he will revert back to being defensive. We’ll see what he does with a full choice of players.

• 189 Transfer Sage // Feb 13, 2013 at 8:31 AM

jay

The bits I have seen of gomis I haven’t been impressed….even the highlights are amazing.

The difference is though gomis would be free which is decent for a 3/4th choice striker

• 190 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 13, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Jay…That is exactly where I am with Carroll. Don’t want him as our main choice, but as a back-up option at the right value (whatever the club deem that to be) then I’m happy. People will say why I care how much we pay on a fee and wages and it really comes down to that in theory, the higher the fee / wages, the higher priority they are in the pecking order. Simple as that really.

• 191 Rotonda heights // Feb 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM

which numpty put the match on on valentines day. There’s murder on!!!

• 192 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Rotonda… Hadn’t thought about that. Surely any other half of a Newcastle supporter knows they share that persons heart with NUFC?

Double date? :)

• 193 Rotonda heights // Feb 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM

sage
    I wasn’t overly impressed with the prospect of signing Gomis, but apparently this season he is top scorer in france on 25, with PEA on 24 and our very own goofy on 22.

Interesting that Fergie is designating Jones a CH/DM to man mark Ronaldo. Can’t believe we didn’t at least try to do that to Bale with MYM.

Carroll wouldn’t be a back up plan B for Pardew. He’d be straight back in and cue the hoof ball, well at least till he gets injured again. Pardew doesn’t do a plan B.

• 194 Transfer Sage // Feb 13, 2013 at 8:44 AM

rotonda

Fergie used jones the same way to mark fellaini on the weekend.

• 195 Rotonda heights // Feb 13, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Ibiza

I knew there was something nagging in the back of my head.

All week making subtle hints and excuses, but thank god my good lady has relented and compromised and I have to take her out on Friday now ironically to a French restaurant!!

• 196 Rotonda heights // Feb 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM

sage

that’s what makes the difference.

• 197 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 13, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Rotonda…I’m sure she knows about your secret love of Pardew and doesn’t want to stand in the way. French restaurant? Now that’s a fan!

Wouldn’t it all just be easier if women came with little TV’s installed on the forehead? Now if you could find a woman with a head like Lescott you could fit one hell of a screen on there. Mind, if she looked like Lescott it would be a deal breaker.

• 198 jayphoto // Feb 13, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I don’t think Pardew favours the hoof to be honest! Been at numerous games where i saw him screaming at willo to get his head up and pick a pass! More recently hes been shouting at krul! Hitting it long is just a sign on players with either limited ability or poor confidence! Pardew played excellent passing football at southampton and less effective but still on the floor passing at West Ham and Charlton! West ham fans like football played ‘the west ham’ way and they were happy with pardews football, just not the results! Think the thing with pardew is he likes the passing to be always forward thinking rather than teams like liverpool that pass it around the back alot, pardews philosophy is more old school in trying to put the ball in the net quickly rather than playing passing around the back line for 20 minutes!
    Also, just a thought but with willo, his control and composure were awful, did anyone actually really want him to try and be a ball player?? Coz for me when he tried to be an actual footballer thats when he made mistakes and everyone jumped on him

• 199 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I guess I’m rather lucky…

Game is on at 8pm if I’m not mistaken… so should be on at around 4am? for me… so I won’t have to make the painful decision…

I’ll be completely knackered on Friday morning though….

previous post: Local Teenager Coming Into Contention At Newcastle