The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

LLambias – We’ll Be Expanding Our Scouting In Europe

9:08 am, Tuesday, February 12th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 31 Comments

There’s that saying – when it rains it pours – so in places like Southern California – it doesn’t rain very much – but when it does it comes down in torrents – and that’s a little bit like Derek Llambias talking to the press – he hasn’t talked much at all since he’s been here since 2008, but he gave a lot of interviews last week in the Journal and Evening Chronicle, and he’s being interviewed again in the Journal today.

derek llambias in black suit

Derek LLambias – we still have targets in France

But by the way – that’s not meant to be an adverse criticism – it’s very good that Derek is giving these interviews, because we get more of an idea of what’s going on behind the scenes at Newcastle – and that’s always good – it means we don’t have to make the stuff up. :D

Derek has talked today about France, and he is said we still have targets over there, although we are expanding our scouting in Europe:

“There are still targets in France, by the way. We haven’t finished with the French market,” “We want to expand in Europe. We’ll be moving around Europe: we already do.”

“Obviously we like the Dutch market, the Belgian market too. I mean look at the Belgian national team now, it’s outstanding what they’ve done there.”

“But there are other areas we’ll explore too. Kevin Mbabu is an excellent prospect, he’s 17 and he’s a good acquisition for us. We’re looking everywhere.”

The Journal is reporting that Ivorian striker Wilfred Bony will not be a target for Newcastle, although he has been watched – but the thinking of Graham Carr is that he would struggle in the Premier League from a physical point of view – and LLambias has said “we were never interested in him.”

Well we wonder if that means we’ll be bringing in Ricky van Wolfswinkel from Sporting Lisbon in the summer?

What do you think?

We ran this heart wrenching story yesterday on Eve Miller – please help the 10 year-old if you possibly can – many thanks.

eve may 2010

Here are Eve’s Facebook page – and also the Just Giving page.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Financials · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours

31 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Lets hope so if they are looking at Carroll as a replacement for Ba.

Dear me, my heart can’t take anymore.

Bedtime.

Goodnight all.

• 2 Transfer Sage // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Good noises coming out of the club now…..hopefully our dip this was a kick up the backside to everyone…players, manager and owner.

• 3 Markaccus // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:11 AM

From prev….
    Goofy and debuchy can’t play in this competition (goofy played in it already, we chose mbiwa over debuchey) so there’s two places open to second choice players. Obertan or marveaux for goofy. Anita at rb maybe? Otherwise simmo. Socks should play at least a part in every game he can, he’s too good to drop (barca NEVER drop Messi!) Same for Cabaye. They don’t need to play the full game, maybe they could share it? Cisse needs every game he can get to try and build confidence. Good opportunity for tiote at DM to get his mojo (or his mofo’n mojo) back, alongside either Anita (if simmo at right back) or stick with perchinho. Jonas stays on the other wing as he has the right attitude for a euro game, santon, colo and mbiwa start. Krul in goal. That’s almost our first team with only a few tweaks.

• 4 Transfer Sage // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM

markaccus

debuchy for anita
    saylor for mbiwa
    perch for tiote
    gouff for obertan

that team works for me….keep the rest the same.

• 5 Transfer Sage // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM

markaccus

I agree there….always hear that players need rest but some clubs stick with players.

Ronaldo, Messi, Falcao, gerrard, lampard, terry, cole,…..all these players currently (or when in prime) played 99% of games they were available for.

The only players who are rested are those who aren’t the big players in the team

• 6 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM

If Bony isn’t considered physical enough then there is very little chance of there being any truth in the RVW rumours. Is nowhere near the same physicality. If you read portuguese reports (which I rarely do, but have seen one or two) they always seemed to comment on him not being up for a battle, and easily pushed off the ball.

This may just be the reports I’ve seen, the others might say he is a pillar of strength, but I can only go off what I have seen with my own eyes.

• 7 Markaccus // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Sage. Yeah if we want socks and cabs to both play most of the game, then I’d go with that. We have no weekend game so I suppose we can afford to. I’m just paranoid our new football machine is going to get hurt!

• 8 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Eliott/Krul~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Santon~~~~~~Saylor~~~~~Mbiwa~~~~~~Haidara~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tiote/Perch/Bigi~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~Cabaye/Anita~~~~~~~Sissoko/Anita~~
    ~Jonas~~~~~~~~~~~~~Cisse~~~~~~~~~Obertan~~

At least for the first leg.

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM

On the Belgian team, how I wish we had Lukaku, quick, physical, finisher, young. If Chelski get Falcao, and have Torres Falcao and Ba while playing one up front, would anyone else try and get Lukaku, as he won’t want to be 3rd/4th choice there.

• 10 rainrix // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Hm whats wrong with the spanish market as well? I know spanish players can be just as pricey as english players but theres still bargins to be had (michu) and they’re probably some of the best players in the world right now.

• 11 Transfer Sage // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:23 AM

phoenix….i like that line up with santon right and haidara left….never though of that.

Markaccus – don’t worry about that…they get better from playing together…players get injured in training but we wont stop that so why rest them if they don’t need it…..too many experts are hung up on rest these days….have less training and more games if players are tired.

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:23 AM

It isn’t a case of resting players for me. It is more a case of letting players like Tiote, Haidara, Anita, and Yanga get game time. Other than maybe Haidara all of the above were unlucky/could quite feasibly have started against Spurs, and could quite easily start against Southampton.

I don’t think bringing those 4 in weakens the side particularly (I think people will be surprised by how good Haidara is). If Simmo isn’t fit, I’d rather Yanga went right back then Anita.

• 13 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:23 AM

At the very least, I want to see Mbiwa and Haidara start. Very eager to see how well they perform. Heard haidara got a goal for the reserves?

• 14 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Phoenix,

I think he will want to rest Santon, he has plyed mre than anyone else, and I think the whole point of having Haidara back up this season is so he can rest Santon

• 15 Transfer Sage // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM

lilongwe

If we can get lukaku it would be great. He won’t want to be 4th choice.

I’d go all out to get him…if we are offering the reported 13mil for carroll last year top it up a bit and get him….if they want rid and he wants to go.

Unfortunately he might be quite pricey.

• 16 Transfer Sage // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:30 AM

lilongwe

I suppose a few like anita need game time but don’t want too many rested/rotated….we need to keep the main players together I think, give them a chance to gel and get to know each others game and built some sort of run together.

I’d like santon at RB for 90 mins, be good to see how he copes with it being able to cross on his stronger foot without cutting back.

• 17 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Sage,

I agree he may be quite pricey, but an added bonus is that after next season he also qualifies as home grown for the squad. Barmy rules, but may as well take advantage.

I think if we are looking for someone to spearhead our attack, and be a powerful target man I can’t think of a better option at the moment.

Him and Campbell in a few years could be mouthwatering…..

• 18 croftus5678 // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM

hmm cool so we could be going for physical belgian strikers in the summer then i hope and as for holland i think they are great players esp in the mid/forward lines.

would not mind a few for the dev team from these two country’s lots of rising starts esp dutch league’s

• 19 Transfer Sage // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM

lilongwe

Yeh he would be a great player for us. Bags of potential which was stalled last year as chelsea didn’t play him.

I think if we can get him in or find somebody of a similar size and ability we will be looking much stronger.

I still think a player like torres in his prime who was so quick to get in behind would be perfect for this side…..pace would force teams deeper or risk being caught out…and that would give out midfielders much more room to play the ball in front of them.

• 20 outsidethebox // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM

we have to play close to strongest team to have the option to save players for saints game….
    elliott mbai hairdrier anita bigi and obertan all need games

elliott
    simpson mbai collo hairdrier
    anita tiote cabaye marv
    sissoko cisse …

• 21 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Pards said in Jan he would like to give Santon a breather, so I just can’t see him putting him on the right, particularly when Yanga can play there and also if Simmo is fit.

I agree it would be interesting to see him played right back, but I don’t see that being in Pardews thoughts whatsoever now Debuchy has arrived.

• 22 Transfer Sage // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:38 AM

lilongwe

I don’t think it would happen but I’d like to see it.

I think if debuchy gets injured i’d rather have santon right and haidara left then bring simmo back in.

• 23 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Sage,

I agree we need someone with pace, but I see that as where Goofy will fit in for the next year or two until Campbell is first team material. I think bringing in a youngish player with those attributes could cause a block for Campbells development

• 24 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Sage,

Possibly, but if Debuchy got injured, Yanga is highly accomplished at right back, and it would make Pards life easier to play him there than drop Taylor or Colo.

Anyway, got to shoot. Running a business and starting another one really gets in the way of football debate sometimes!!

• 25 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I,ve been saying for a long time now that we should not only be looking for our players in France !

I have a strong feeling Boney is going to end up in Germany in the Summer? Dortmund or Bayern Munich are sniffing around and Vitesse have more or less accepted the fact that he will be moving close-season!

Van Wolfswinkel is already playing in a physical League, and would still be a great signing for us?
    It may also be worth taking a look at Three players at Feyenoord Rotterdam?

Left Back:/ Midfield —- Joris Mathijssen

Left Wing / Striler——- Jean-Paul Boetius

Striker——- Graziano Pelle

Any one of these three would be good signings for us and Feyenoord are looking like real candidates to win the Dutch League in the last few weeks?
    Pelle has been the real star for them, having joined them from Parma last year!

• 26 firebug666 // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:50 AM

According to the Journal report Newcastle are looking to bring in up to eight players to push for a start in the first team. These players will be in the development squad. It also mentions Newcastle’s interest in Pierre – Emerick Aubameyang (St Etienne), Georginio Wijnaldum (PSV) and Valenciennes Nicolas Isimat – Mirin.

• 27 Markaccus // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:59 AM

We could also drop perch into rb and play anita in his prefered MF role. Perch better than simmo I think. Play cabaye wide instead of jonas.

Perch–colo–mbiwa–santon
    ——anita———-tiote
    Obertan—-socks——-cabs
    —————cisse

• 28 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Feb 12, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Oh Wijnaldum would not come cheap ! And is a well known player !

I would prefer it if we kept quiet about prospective targets, i for one have been disappointed so often in the last few years. The exception to that has been the window just gone?

• 29 carl // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Ian Toon
    Thanks for Saturday input. Missed cut off date but good to go. Right with MH/LD but majority plain feral. R most likely. Stent agree questionable awareness. You need a break!

• 30 Bowzer912 // Feb 12, 2013 at 10:41 AM

@firebug666
    That is what I suggested a few days ago to what we were going to do in the market.I said development players eg Bigi to push for starts and play cup games.

• 31 Sav // Feb 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I actually prefer it when Llambo keeps his chops shut. That is the way it should be except for maybe twice a year – generalised statements about where we are and where we are headed. Give him the microphone too much and he’ll soon be telling blue jokes and singing ‘My Way’. The gulf in class between him and Mort is unbridgeable.

previous post: What Team Will Newcastle Play Against Metalist Kharkiv?

next post: Two New Top Players Newcastle Interested In This Summer