The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Moussa Sissoko – I Want The Whole Team To Do Well

10:30 am, Wednesday, February 13th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

Moussa Sissoko is fast becoming an extremely popular player with the Newcastle fans, and that’s hardly surprising given his early displays for the side, where he’s looked little short of awesome.

moussa sissoko scores Chelsea

Moussa Sissoko - fantastic signing for Newcastle
Is that a halo around his head?

Newcastle’s capture of Sissoko for only £1.8M has raised some eyebrows with the big clubs, who seem to be willing to pay out ridiculous fees top get top players to their clubs – but that’s not the case with Newcastle and we got in five French players in January for around £18M, and three of them have become instant starters on the side.

In fact over the last two or three years Newcastle have made some fantastic acquisitions int he transfer market and we had one lad leave the club – but only after Mike Ashley had got Liverpool to pay £35M up front for striker Andy Carroll.

So it’s safe to say Newcastle are doing very well with their outgoing and incoming transfers – although it was a pity we lost a certain Demba Ba last month for just £7M – and we know he’s worth a lot more than that.

Moussa Sissoko is wearing the number 7 shirt on Tyneside, but as far as we are concerned he could be wearing the number 99 shirt – and the top French International had this to say to the local papers today:

“When I arrived in Newcastle, I was told that many great players had done very well for the club wearing the No 7 shirt.” “But I’m not giving myself any added pressure with that.”

“I’m just going to go out there and play my own game, give as good as I can, and give the best performance I can.” “Obviously, wearing the No 7 shirt, for me, doesn’t really change anything.”

“I’m here, I want to play well, and I want the whole team to do well.”

Maybe I’m showing my age but when I think of a number 7 I remember most at Newcastle – it was Len White – who used to play either on the right wing or as a center forward for Newcastle way back in the olden days, when 90% (99%?) of people reading this weren’t even born. :D

Len played for Newcastle from 1952 through 1962 and in 245 appearances for the Magpies he scored 197 goals – he was some player was Lenny – and Moussa Sissoko is also some player for Newcastle today – in that number 7 shirt.

Note – today we are trying to help out one of our readers – Northumbria University student Alex Redfern – who is doing research on the impact of Newcastle’s recent sponsorship deal with Wonga – please fill out Alex’s questionnaire on the topic – and that will help his research – many thanks.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

There will also be cash turnstiles on the night (8.05pm kick-off).

Tags: Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 dannyboy // Feb 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I agree with the cisse points, theres only so much ‘benifit of the doubt ‘ we can give him , he is missing absoulute sitters and his half chances that he misses arent even going close, ffs shola would have provided more of a all round game than him recently aswell , easily the weak leak , imagine we had , a rooney, persie,suarez ,even defoe or adebayor or dare i say ‘ba’ again , theres a few more strikers i could name but i think im embaressing cisse enough lol

• 2 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I wouldn’t mind Goofy being given the nod to play as the CF.

• 3 Transfer Sage // Feb 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM

danny

Cisse has been poor in recent weeks with good service…but it do think he has improved some other aspects of his game. seems to be keeping the ball a little better and bringing gouff and sissoko into play a bit…did well for our equaliser against chelsea.

• 4 Transfer Sage // Feb 13, 2013 at 10:40 AM

phoenix

I’d like to see gouff there too….but that means jonas and obertan on the wing until HBA returns.

• 5 dannyboy // Feb 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM

he did well for the equaliser because he wound up cole and terry so much he should have been sent of argueably twice ! terry lost his cool which is unusual and just slide in unnecessaryly, im not giving up hope or writeing him of but something has to be done about it

• 6 Newcastle Brown Alien // Feb 13, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Transfer, what about marv?

• 7 Mister Tuff // Feb 13, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Anyone watching the Celtic match last night will have observed Pirlos’ “longballs”
    over the top for the forwards to run onto. I observed of him looking for the forwards even before he received the ball.
    I see this element of play in stark contrast to the hopefull “hoofball” punt that has been evident in our play, when the balls are not over the top/through balls but appear on most occasions to be too short resulting in the defenders beating Cisse easily on most occasions by “defensive headers”. Our ball retention rate for this aspect of the game must be very low -resulting in possession returned immediately to the opposition.
    Hopefully, with more quality players in the team this aspect of our play should improve. High balls to Cisse do not work.

• 8 Transfer Sage // Feb 13, 2013 at 10:44 AM

danny

problem is options….we have shola who isn’t good enough and campbell who i like but is untested.

Then gouff but he is needed out wide, done a cracking job there.

• 9 dannyboy // Feb 13, 2013 at 10:45 AM

id prefer gouffy two but transfersage raises a good point, jonas and obertan will have to start :-s

• 10 JackButler // Feb 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Dropping a player who’s confidence has been shot is dangerous, plus if you drop Cisse our only options are Shola, who is simply not good enough or Gouffran who we need out wide, our options are limited until the summer when we have to strengthen

• 11 JackButler // Feb 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Or we go the Spanish route and play six midfielders :D

• 12 Transfer Sage // Feb 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM

mister tuff

I was impressed with both teams last night, celtic did well but didn’t create man clear cut chances. Juve did the job and took their chances well.

I think the difference is the way the ball is played….we play a lot straight from back to front which don’t work for us.

Juve either played the pass from higher up field over the top so it was a 30 yard chip as oppose to a 60 yard hump.

Also they worked the ball diagonally as well which gives the striker a chance to run onto it and even if they don’t win it can pressure the defender into making a mistake and conceding a throw/goal.

• 13 dannyboy // Feb 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM

watched the celtic match last night ! it was a superb game, atmosphere there is so special , rasied the hairs and gave me goosebumps ! what about the itialain method of holding players in the penalty box ? how do they get away with it? if celtic had of done that juev would have got a penalty, really wound me up last night, something has to be done about it
    agree with you there mister tuff ‘ High balls to Cisse do not work’ 100% thats when the arguement of aul big andy gets raised again haha

• 14 Rotonda heights // Feb 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM

mister tuff

glen hoddle was the finest exponent of an accurate long pass I’ve ever seen. Massive difference between that and a non footballer like willo’s and simmo’s attempts.

• 15 Transfer Sage // Feb 13, 2013 at 10:53 AM

rotonda

One of the best at it in the prem league is gerard for me.

He is so good at finding players. He was key in torres get so many goals by playing a solid 30/40 yard ball right into his path.

• 16 Mister Tuff // Feb 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Transfer -I thought Celtic would equalise and go on to win -the speed of the game from both sides was impressive with some of the one touch play being top class. Rubbish ref not penalising the wresting in the box -never seen such blatant attempts (continual) at fouling for many a year. But defensive errors cost them – bit like our game at Tottenham.
    Other observation point was that Celtics’ attack seemed a bit lightweight.

• 17 Transfer Sage // Feb 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM

mister tuff

Yeh I know, celtic looked a bit weak final third. Hooper spent far too much time trying to block the keeper than scoring for my liking.

The celtic player who impressed me the most was wanyama….look strong, composed and seemed to find a pass most times.

• 18 Ian Toon // Feb 13, 2013 at 11:02 AM

ED– Growing up I learnt a lot about Len White from my father and grandfather that is when they were not extolling the virtues of the 1950’s cup winning sides. My father was at the Spurs game when Len White broke his ankle. It was 1961 the year we were relegated from the First Division( then top division) and the line I was sold was that we beat Spurs away from home that day but Len was out for the remainder of the season and that ultimately cost us our prized status. I am told the Geordies spoke of Len White as the best uncapped centre forward only overshadowed by Wor. Jackie.
    Delighted to learn of your good health news.

• 19 Ian Toon // Feb 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Mister Tuffs- Good morning. Trust you to lower the tone talking about balls all over the place. Enough of this nonsense , I am having a serious word with myself. Meanwhile, you do seem to be worried about us signing AC. It would be a bad move because it could have ramifications beyond the on the field football side. We currently have what could be described by the older generation as ” nice lads” they are athletes who take their professions seriously. We’ve rid ourselves of the Barton, Dyer, Bellamy types and it would be a step backwards.
    Footballers drinking in the fuelling manner are seriously endangering their longevity in the game at the highest level. Much of Kieron Dyer’s troublesome ( used as a euphemism to avoid going into all manner of issues) career is down to not looking after himself in the manner of a Peter Beardsley. Aside from which he is not good enough to be other than a fringe player. We have the squad to play a variety of formations and AC would restrict this ability and make us too predictable. Watching Juventus and the back 3 of Bonucci(!) Barzagli and Caceres. – who were superb leads me to believe we could play a. 3-5-2. Or variety thereof. Despite the relegation. Battle isn’t it grand to be a toon fan . Enjoy your day and forgive me if you see me as an impudent pup.

• 20 wynsleap // Feb 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Ed – you mention Len White in your article.
    The first game I ever saw at St. James Park was Newcastle beating Stockport in the FA Cup on an evening match, around 1958 (not quite sure).
    Len was my first great hero. Pacey with fantastic dribbling skill, a thunderous shot and great ability in the air for a guy who wasn’t the tallest.
    Ian Toon – Had he not been injured badly so early on at Spurs in his career he would have become an even bigger legend than he was as he was being assessed for England’s centre forward spot just at that time.

previous post: Sissoko Impressed With Arsenal And Their Great Frenchmen