The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

I Can’t Fault Our Side – It’s All To Play For Now

1:44 pm, Friday, February 15th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 123 Comments

Sometimes things go for you in a game and sometimes they don’t – and the latter was what happened to Newcastle last night against a good Metalist Kharkiv side, but manager Alan Pardew still thinks we have a decent chance to go through in the second leg next Thursday night in the Ukraine.

alan pardew in contemplative mood

Alan Pardew – his look tells it all last night

And in retrospect we were probably a bit unfair on the lads in our first report of the game immediately after the final whistle – and we said it was only slightly better than a mediocre performance – but it was in fact much better than that – and on the chances we had we could have won the game by a number of goals – with just a little bit of luck.

We have to remember the lads were up against a good side last night – Alan Pardew had this to say today to nufcTV:

“Both goals look onside from the replay.” “At the time I thought the first half was perhaps offside but that showed it wasn’t; the second one, I knew wasn’t offside. I just knew, the way the ball went in and the angle and everything.”

“I just doubted that one and was proved right. It’s difficult for us because we’ve played an almost perfect game. We’ve got a clean sheet, we were tough, we were fast, we were intelligent and we played some great football. We had some subs who changed it a little bit for us – a couple of moments from Sylvain Marveaux and Shola Ameobi’s presence made it a little bit more difficult for them.”

“So all in all, I expect to win and it’s hard to look the boys in the eye and say ‘you should have won’ because the two goals were onside. I think the fans knew it as well – the reaction from them at the end towards the officials said that – and it was a day for us where we really, really didn’t get the rub of the green.”

“But I can’t fault the team. That was an outstanding effort and they were a good side, a real good side with some great players who we kept quiet, particularly Willian on the left. Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa did a good job on him.”

“So it’s all to play for. We got a clean sheet and no away goal so a clean sheet sees us through after 90 minutes and that gives us something to lean on when we go there.” “But we’re going to need to play as well as that to get that.”

And the Newcastle U19 side kept their hopes alive yesterday in the Torneo di Viareggio as they beat Congo’s under-17 team 2-1 in Strettoia – with goals from Alex Gilliead and Greg Olley – and with the game last night that news got ignored a little.

Newcastle lost their first game to AC Milan 2-1 but the lads got a good three points yesterday afternoon – well done.

Note: we are trying to help out one of our readers – Northumbria University student Alex Redfern – who is doing research on the impact of Newcastle’s recent sponsorship deal with Wonga – please fill out Alex’s questionnaire on the topic if you can – and that will help his research – Alex needs another 100 replies to his questionnaire today – many thanks.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa · Newcastle News

123 responses so far ↓

• 1 Troy Stavers // Feb 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM

@Fray Bentos

100% I believe Cisse is good enough to be our main striker.

He works tirelessly for the team, he’s got skill, we know he can score all kinds of goals, he gets into great positions and I can see his understanding with Sudoko developing.

I thought you would have gathered that from my last post.

He’s a quality striker no doubt.

• 2 Troy Stavers // Feb 15, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I thought we played well against an organised side. We should be going to their gaff with a lead but the linesman was inept.

I don’t see a goal threat from them so I believe we can nick it. Hopefully Cisse will be rewarded for a cracking display last night.

• 3 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 15, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I really feel for Cisse. Could have had 6 last night and a few goals would have done his confidence the world of good.

• 4 Fostino // Feb 15, 2013 at 1:55 PM

didnt get a chance to see the game with valentines and all that carry on. so i am just wondering…….how did mbiwa play at the back. Ive seen this lad play in france and I was very impressed. also was obertan any good? surprised marv wasnt playing from the start. also how ddi the trio of cab aye, sissoko and cabaye get on

• 5 fray bentos // Feb 15, 2013 at 1:56 PM

@Troy

Think you got me mixed up with somebody else

I too like Cisse

• 6 Earl // Feb 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM

@ Fostino

He had a pretty solid game. Looked a bit edgy at the start with a few wayward passes, but settled into the game. if I’m honest i want to see him in a CB role as, there wasn’t many incidents where he much in an attacking sense. But I guess Pardews idea was that he thought their winger ‘Willian’ was the biggest threat, so we needed someone who could defend well and mark him out the game, which he did well. So overall very promising, but at CB!

• 7 Earl // Feb 15, 2013 at 2:07 PM

*offered much

• 8 Troy Stavers // Feb 15, 2013 at 2:08 PM

@Fray

Soz mate. It was Benry! ;-D

You there Benry, you horrible little Cisse hater!!! :-D

• 9 woolerbill // Feb 15, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Open your eye’s we are not good enough to win this tie, so let’s just get 3 points from Southampton, because if we don’t we will go down. No more, we should have something out of a game, or the ref was against us. We need to stay up, and that means winning, winning and winning again. Less talk Pardew .

• 10 Troy Stavers // Feb 15, 2013 at 2:19 PM

@Fray

Actually I agree with you with the post below which is yours from the previous thread;

…………………………………………………………………….

Anybody who didn’t see that we were the dominant team who were really unlucky not to win with a good home score yesterday just aren’t football illiterate and can only comprehend the scroreline and judge accordingly, they are can’t analyse the football because their brains can’t handle it and therefore make judgement based solely on the score.

i feel sorry for them

• 11 noladonna // Feb 15, 2013 at 2:20 PM

did anyone catch cabayes interview last night after the game man that was painful to watch he started stuttering and sweating felt for him

• 12 Troy Stavers // Feb 15, 2013 at 2:20 PM

@woolerbill

Totally and utterly disagree with your last post. ;-)

• 13 Troy Stavers // Feb 15, 2013 at 2:25 PM

@Fray

However, I think you meant they aren’t football literate. ;-)

• 14 bollance // Feb 15, 2013 at 2:31 PM

We did enough to win yesterday but that is how it is going this season!

What impressed me most about yesterday and the reason i gave MOM to Sissoko was his ability from central midfield to turn and beat his man or power past one or even two. It put us on the front foot so many times yesterday.

MYM took time to get into the game which was understandable on your home debut. He has some class. the cross for Cisse’s second (disallowed) goal was something we have lacked all season.

Tiote is given a bit more slack in Europe. He can get away with things in Europe because the players dont go down like a sack of potatoes like in the Prem.

It will be a good game second leg but we will need to be at full strength to go through. Will pards play safe and keep his best 11 for Sunday?

No way!!! He knows we have the beating of this side. We are going to go for it in both games.

• 15 Fostino // Feb 15, 2013 at 2:38 PM

thanks earl. likewise…i can see him doing well there. better than s.taylor which is a shame.

• 16 estechco // Feb 15, 2013 at 2:39 PM

noladonna @ 11 – He had a little trouble getting his words out, but I think the overall effect summed up how many of us were feeling anyway i.e. the cheating officials robbed us of a win. Difficult to say diplomatically in any language?

Give the guy a break…how well could you give an interview to a French TV sports reporter?

• 17 fray bentos // Feb 15, 2013 at 2:40 PM

@troy

No, i think you will find i wrote illiterate which means the same thing

• 18 Troy Stavers // Feb 15, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Illiterate means not being able to read or write
    Literate means you can.

I’m beginning to wonder if you are the former. :-D

Just jokin ;-)

• 19 fray bentos // Feb 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM

ah you see i was meant to write are not aren’t

• 20 Earl // Feb 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM

@Fostino

You know, I actually think that if we can get Saylor and Mbiwa in the same starting line-up, we could see something special. We all know Collo could be on his way in the summer so I think it would be benfitial to getting them used to each other. We havn’t seen a lot of Mbiwa yet, but i’m led to believe hes quite capable of passing out form the back, similar to Collo but has bags of pace and strength. If we can keep Saylor fit for a full season, I don’t see why they cant be our first choice CB pairing going forward

• 21 fray bentos // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Right im going to say this to stop me coming on here again (as i can’t go back on my word ha);

This will be my last post on here, my time is too precious to spend talking to or making sense out of posters who have no ability to make reasonable and balanced opinions. I also have no time for football fans who spend their whole fan existence critizing and booing players who have been hard working members of our team in recent years, footballers are human aswell, nobody is perfect and everybody makes mistakes. Also can’t be bothered with posters trying to belittle others using grammar/spelling, typo’s anyone

• 22 Troy Stavers // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Jesus! Fray Bentos. Goodbye and don’t comeback. :-D

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I never got the chance to watch all of the game last night as I was working, but I taped ESPN and watched the first and second half analysis this afternoon, I can’t believe there were people on here last night claiming both goals were offside to justify their hatred of Pardew, the first was clearly clearly a yard and a half on side and the second was very close, are these the same people secretly hoping we lose in the forlorn hope that Pardew might get the bullet.

• 24 Fostino // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:18 PM

earl

i just think colo’s positioning and reading of the game is top notch. i think saylor is a bit of a last ditch defender.

• 25 Tommyy // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Thank God Fray Bentos is gone! He was such a dick.

• 26 Earl // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Fostino

Without a doubt mate, Collo’s intelligence on the pitch is irreplaceable. But due to circumstances, we are probably going to have to get used to the idea, that Collo isn’t going to be around much longer. Saylor and Collo are a solid pairing; Collo’s a calm collective character, Saylor the gung-ho body on the line defender. My point being is Mbiwa has the potential to be more than capable of filling Collo’s shoes, and can add the natural pace which Collo lacks (his intelligence and reading of the game makes up for it). There could well be the same, if not better balance of braun and brains with them two which has been so successful in recent times.

• 27 Tinman // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Was at the game last night, couldnt see the first offside as I was in the gallowgate. The 2nd one looked like it couldnt have been offside! Anyone got a videolink so I can rewatch the game? Need to see those decisions

• 28 Earl // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:34 PM

*Brawn- apologies, my spelling is terrible!

• 29 awesome_fumaca // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Have seen a lot of negativity over the performance last night. We should have had one goal (maybe two) and, had Cisse been a bit more clinical we would have a decent cushion going into the second leg. If anyone expected us to smash Kharkiv 4-0 or 5-0 then they know absolutely nothing about football; they finished top of a difficult group which included Bayer Leverkusen and only conceded three goals along the way. Ok, so we weren’t great last night, but there is no need for all the doom and gloom to start again.

• 30 Fostino // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM

earl

aye, i hear you ..pinky and the brain partnership. but that partnership can cost a goal like the one bale scored last week. Id be very interested in seening cool and mbiawa paired up in the future…unfortunately for taylor and his last ditch type defending, it may only be a matter of time..as this makes him prone to injury. i think a cb is needed in the summer when colo leaves. a cb and a striker and even a replacement winger for jonas who can actually cross a ball is needed the summer

• 31 robin // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Pardew, is the worst manager going, Ameobi Colocini and Jonas are terrible yet old clueless Pardew has to make room for them in the team. He cannot see what most fans, except for some of the Geeks on here who are beyond help!

• 32 Tsunki // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Well its a shame fray has gone and those insulting hin sort of prove his point. There should be room for all sorts of opinions and the only posters I am glad to see the back of are the constant complainers who have no insight or commentary but like to dole out a hard time to people for having their point of view.

• 33 Fostino // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM

robin

colo is far from useless….i have to disagree with you there now and so will the majority of premier league players as they voted him as cb on the team of the year last year

• 34 robin // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Earl, you cretin Colocini is as bad as Williamson and i see the other clown Simpson, crept back onto the bench last night. Pardew has to go!

• 35 Tsunki // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM

… And right on cue, robin.

• 36 AmericanGeordie // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM

We gave it our best with AP fielding his strongest side, and we are unlucky not to have a 2 goal lead heading into the 2nd leg.

HOWEVER, I think it’s time for AP to field an almost entire 2nd XI to rest up and prepare for the Southampton 6-pointer next Sunday. Here’s my club for the 2nd leg:

4-2-3-1
    Krul
    Simpson-Willo-M’Biwa-Haidara
    Anita-Perch
    Obertan-Marveaux-Sammy
    Shola

Bench: Harper, Taylor, Tiote, Ben Arfa (if fit), Bigi, Cisse, Campbell

Rest (incl. no travel): Colo, Santon, Cabaye, Sissoko, Jonas, and of course, Gouffran & Debuchy who aren’t eligible to play anyway.

At this point I’d take my chances with that lot. Who knows, we may still go through. Heaven knows we are due a bit of good fortune!

• 37 Earl // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Robin,

Excuse me?? who are you to call people cretins. For a start I have never spoke to you ever. Abusing people on here for having a balanced conversation, referring to us a ‘geeks’ , literally shows your lack of maturity. Your entitled to your opinion regarding players, but trying to insult us for having a view is canny pathetic like. Bore off!

• 38 tequilamag // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:56 PM

American I like your team if only for the fact it will drive Check into a frenzy. It could be improved by picking Jonas rather than Sammy to really get him going. I think HBA will be back for Southampton so Jonas could still be a decent option.

• 39 tequilamag // Feb 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Earl if you had not noticed Robin comes on at this time as he is just back from school.

• 40 toonicle // Feb 15, 2013 at 4:00 PM

So anyone else think we’ll see Shola start next thursday?

• 41 Fostino // Feb 15, 2013 at 4:00 PM

i disaggree….these players should be able to play 2 games in 3 days…there getting a big long rest now…shouldnt be a problem. christ ive done it often myself before….2 games in one day even at different sports. id have

krul, mbiwa, taylor, colo, santon, jonas, tiote, cabaye, sissoko, marv, cisse……with ameobi, obertan to come on

and for southhampton id have
    krul, debuchy, mbiawa, colo, santon, ban afra, tiote, cabaye, sissoko, goofy, cisse…..quality team with marv to come on 60th min

• 42 Mister Tuff // Feb 15, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Earl – take no notice of Robin” – he is a dimwit racist who pops up every now and again. Managed to get an image of him so I’ll post the link below:-

• 43 Earl // Feb 15, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Faustino

Yeah, it will be interesting to see who we do target for a new Centre Back. I do remember Pardew wanting a Goal Scoring Centre half i.e. from dead ball situations. I our recent history for goals from Corners/Freekicks is poor at best. But then if we lose Collo, it would be incredibly hard to find someone who could replace him (M’biwa aside) and we’d miss the calmness at the back. With any luck Graham Carr will already have some gem wrapped up for the summer. As for a striker i was thinking someone who is capable of good link up play with our midfield. Cisse’s just a natural finisher and id rather see him in and round the box. As for someone who could do that, as well as have pace and be in our price range is a different matter. I havn’t seen a lot of that aubameyang from st Ettiene, but he seems to fit the bill.

• 44 Earl // Feb 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM

And Guys,

I should think better than to lower to that level. we Can’t have a decent discussion without someone trying to spoil it!

• 45 Fostino // Feb 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM

earl

im guessing douglas on a free is being lined up. alderwierd from ajax would be great signing also and cover for rb when danny persumably leaves as well this summer. i think it could be curtains for 1 or 2 players this summer

• 46 beefman13 // Feb 15, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Fray Bento,s your probably full of horsemeat anyway, definatly bullshit ha ha.

look lad you brougt up the textin while watching the football debate, i would say virtually every poster o this site has done it,

Stop being so delicate lad, I HAVE BACKED THE OWNER FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS AND HAD SOME RIGHT TEAR UPS.

But you just carry on, take it and give it, im that sort, other posters like the more measured approach, ie tsunki and ibiza, but they have loads of pals on here beacuse of it, good on them, we all play it different, get on with it man and soldier on, i find myself in the camp of the pardew neggers, after being a fanatical optomist with the owner, and i still believe HE will do a job for the toon.

• 47 Earl // Feb 15, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Yeah the right back situation will be interesting. Funnily enough I play football a couple of times a week at my local pitch . On more than one ocassion, Ive spotted James Tavernier on the pitch next to me. at first I wasn’t entirely sure it was him, but still watched him regardless. I noticed he was rapid. I know he was playing with people who are at a much lower level, but he looked impressive without really trying. Well when i saw his 80k white range rover sport with personal reg driving out the car park, It was quite obvious. But anyway Im sure hes an effective rightback. Maybe a better option then replacing simpson, and focussing on spending in other areas. Just a thought

• 48 tequilamag // Feb 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Beef, I never post during the match, rarely at half-time. I think Fray has a point that some people only post on match days and then it is just to slag certain players off and the manager, regardless of what is happening on the pitch. I find that frankly a bit of a weird way of showing support.

• 49 Fostino // Feb 15, 2013 at 4:33 PM

ya i think good things are expected of him and steele (excuse spelling) was a bit lacking however when he got his chance…would be great if he could mke step up…would love a few more geordies in the set up

• 50 Tsunki // Feb 15, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Yep I find rabid match time posting to be a possible indicator of less fans and more whiners, surely you have to be more interested in watching the game than posting? Thanks tequila for bundling me in with the fence sitters btw ha ha :)

• 51 tequilamag // Feb 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Tsunki it was Beef put you on the fence with Ibiza mate. I always had you down as a bad ass hustler.

• 52 Tsunki // Feb 15, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Sorry tequila I should have read properly :)

• 53 santonthenewmaldini // Feb 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Over the last season I have turned into a bit of a neggar but its for good reason and last night was the same lethargic performance as Swansea, West Ham, Villa at home and Fulham and both Reading games!

There has been so many games we have played this season where every team has been there for the taking last night was one and Spurs were actually there for the taking as well if we were a bit bolder

The tactics were the same as they have been for a few of the home games pass it about slow try to feel our way into the game try not to concede but all that does is give the team we are playing more confidence there is no need for 2 defensive midfielders well 3 if you count Jonas

In these instances where teams are happy to sit in and counter Tiote is useless as he loses the ball with shite passes or dodgy control he was lucky not to see red and was also lucky that they never scored from a few breakaways!

Marveux is not very good on the left wing but he is good in the middle as he glides past people and makes things happens he should have started in Tiote’s place as Cabaye and Jonas was protecting the back four all game anyway so why do we need the extra protection of Tiote as well?!?

Metallist could not wait to get off the pitch when Marveux came on as him and Sissoko where cutting through them with ease which just made you think if we had just threw the kitchen sink at them from the start they would have folded but its been the same story in a lot of games the only difference in this one was the other team did not score

We made them look a lot better than they actually were they were ok with the ball and the only attacks they had were from counter attacks we should be beating them comfortably over 2 legs but until Pardew starts to develop a killer instinct i think we will never win comfortably under his management

Pardew can improve and I think he can but he really needs to start going out and beating teams as yes we have had injuries but a lot of the games we have not got results have been a result of negative tactics which have cost us dearly

• 54 beefman13 // Feb 15, 2013 at 5:38 PM

To be fair i dont always post during matches in fact more often than not i dont. The site of jonas playing again and nor a youngin in tje squad and no anita or marv, and bloody obertan playing boiled my blood no end, i was not expecting , all those scenarios at all, tjen spson in the squad, no fergie or tav or bigi, totally undeserved IMO.

Tsunki n Ibiza seem canny kids,
    ibiza though is rightly british commonwealth european world and olympic champion fence sitter!

Im sure he is more than proud of those titles!

• 55 beefman13 // Feb 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Santon, marv n anita are the type of kids who improve with the more consistant playing time they get, AP has stunted that situation and spoilt what for me would be better more fluent performances from the toon, ive always said AP plays jonas n perch cos he was more like them, ie hard grafter short on what was needed to go to the next level just like AP was.

• 56 bills-son // Feb 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Jail – is that right?

Posters on here were saying the first goal was offside?

And I thought the horsemeat jokes were the stupidest thing I’d heard this year.

• 57 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Tsunki…You don’t want to be associated with me? That’s cut me deep.

Beefman…Measured approach…aye, that’s me.

Fray…Don’t stay away for ever….just avoid game time as you know to do. I know what you were trying to say, but perhaps telling people not to post during game time was a little bit over the top?!? :) Hope to see you back sometime soon (and no, just because you said you wont doesn’t mean you can’t).

Robin…How you doing buddy ole pal? These cretin geeks get to me too, don’t know how we put up with them. I’d take a racist over a geek any day…far cooler…

• 58 Novocastrian66 // Feb 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I obviously want Newcastle to win next Thursday, but not at the expense of 3 points against Southampton.
    They have to be our prioirity now.

• 59 OhSholaAmeobi // Feb 15, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Cisse = Andy Cole/Tino Asprilla. Needs about 5 attempts to score 1 goal. Looks short on confidence like.

• 60 hotdog // Feb 15, 2013 at 6:29 PM

That game last night will be highlighted in 5 years time as a game that was fixed!! Beautiful game, corrupt game I say :-(

• 61 toonicle // Feb 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM

It would be great to see Gouffran start next Thursday up top in a 4-2-3-1

• 62 Ian Toon // Feb 15, 2013 at 6:44 PM

hotdog- Not fanciful at all.

• 63 JackButler // Feb 15, 2013 at 6:46 PM

toonicle

Gouffran is cup-tied mate

• 64 hotdog // Feb 15, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Ian toon – not sure if your being flippant or not! But seriously I had a bad taste in my mouth after that game. Young impressionable linesman and Russians!!!

• 65 yo-yo // Feb 15, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Fray Bentos
    Bet you come back as Cheval or something similar

Beefman – you’ve got a cheek calling him with your moniker your a real Trotter.

We played okay last night but not everything clicked into place, Some sloppy passing and I didn’t mind Cabs lying deep as he made some great long passes, chipping their defence. Tiote can’t do this but Anita can – he’s got a great range of passing. What Anita can’t do is bully their players like Tiote and they did come with a hard man reputation. Problem is Cheik then gets yellows – but Cabs has a wild streak too.
    Cisse played fine, he ought to score one in two strikes so he’s not far off. New partnerships are forming and we did miss Gouffy.

Guti is coming to the end of his career as first pick – but he played pretty well, though the usual problemn of final ball was there again.

Don’t know why the usual AP slagging going on – there’s just no pleasing some on here. If we won the Cup there’d still be some complaining about his team selection, tactics or subs.

Ian – how did your session with Catchy go ?

• 66 Ian Toon // Feb 15, 2013 at 7:09 PM

bollance- well you got the first leg outcome right. Be interesting to see whether Da Silva plays at Old Trafford. He looked the weak link and not only in the air. Having highlighted the Man U defensive weaknesses I thought Real missed Pepe not starting. RVP had chances he would normally have put away. Difficult one to call for me. I can see Ferguson employing Jones to blunt the Ronaldo threat but they will score and maybe more than one. There is a dilemma in that whilst united can’t afford to be cautious they will fear Real on the break. If Man U make the same mistake as us last night in trying to overly protect the back four they will give the initiative to Real and Alonso and Ozil will make more of of a meaningful midfield contribution. I will stick with Real to advance.

• 67 hotdog // Feb 15, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Yo-yo – agree with your assessment of last night. Once hatem is back guti won’t get a look in.

What is it with obertan though. I’m willing the guy to do well but he looks like he just doesn’t give a sh*t! Posters on here saying he has got this and that. Well if he does not take the next couple of opportunities I’d say his career is nearly over before it has begun

• 68 Fostino // Feb 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM

with goofy and ben arfa on the wings…we are going to torment defences. it will be guti on the bench with an awesome midfield trio…cant wait for the saints game

• 69 Fostino // Feb 15, 2013 at 7:15 PM

hotdog

i aggree to a certain extent…he is so inconsistent but if he just sorted his final play then he would be very handy…he has great pace to take ball past player…i personally think a winger who can cross the ball is needed in the summer and id sacrifice obertan & jonas for one…would add a great diemension to our game plan if needed…jarvis would be good signing but too dear probably i.e. not vale for money

• 70 bollance // Feb 15, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Ian

Were you predicting i would be about! Good foresight!

I did not realise how many Man utd chants were like our chants. We sat next to the Man utd supporters although in our section there were lots of Man utd supporters which as could be imagined it got a bit tastey at times as the locals are extremely passionate.

I am not renowned for get results right which is why i dont bet. If the truth be known the tie could have gone either way.

Well, back to business. Another good performance with Sissoko making such a big difference to this team. The guy can only get better. In the Prem he may not have lasted the full 90 mins as he flew into some challenges. The metalist were nieve as Prem teams would have ensured he was sent off.

• 71 toonicle // Feb 15, 2013 at 7:16 PM

JB sorry I meant Goofy up front on Sunday not thursday lol. Let Cisse start against Metalist and then start goofy upfront in the league game.

• 72 yo-yo // Feb 15, 2013 at 7:18 PM

hotdog – did you see the smirk on Cabs face after he got carded ? Didn’t give a f

• 73 toonicle // Feb 15, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Fostino- Yes a winger with a good cross is reaaaally what we need in the summer, top priority for me.

• 74 Ian Toon // Feb 15, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Yo-yo– We’ll I am sending this from the Royal Victoria. !!! The background was that he was going to be I Newcastle from middle February and wanted to put my hat on straight – valentines day seemed ideal!!
    By the way I thought you were spot on a while ago to that moron poster over his loose tongue comments about people with learning difficulties. I haven’t named him purely because he craves attention.

• 75 bollance // Feb 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Toonicle

Cabaye is very good at worming his way out of bookings. In my opinion he should be booked more often but tends to twist the situation making out he is the victim.

• 76 hotdog // Feb 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Yoyo – aye seen it. Good midfielders can mix their game up and cabs can do that.

Surely Oscar Pistorious can’t be the first man to wake up legless on Valentines day and shoot all over the wife while imagining she’s someone else…Oscar Pistorious has brought a whole new meaning to the words’ taking the missus out on Valentines day’

• 77 yo-yo // Feb 15, 2013 at 7:34 PM

hotdog

so how do you rate Anita ?

• 78 Ian Toon // Feb 15, 2013 at 7:37 PM

bollance- Well your not wrong. Tiote could well have got more than a yellow in PL. As I said earlier I thought. Cabaye played too deep and did not vary his positioning enough. With more pace now in the side we will doubtless play a counter attacking game but need to minimise the space between the lines. The big plus is Yanga who was terrific on debut and offers a lot to the defence. Like to see him play against the Saints as well . With more attacking flair we can get through. Mind you I am an optimist by nature. Have a good weekend.

• 79 Ian Toon // Feb 15, 2013 at 7:40 PM

hotdog- Deadly serious . I said the same thing this morning as well.

• 80 hotdog // Feb 15, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Yoyo. – I think he is a good player to have for his versatility but as for a starting spot. He ain’t shown enough to me yet. The best game I’ve seen him have was at right back.

• 81 hotdog // Feb 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Ian toon – can you imagine the uproar from fergie and the press if that had been against Man U. I think ap comments on fire in the belly has them wondering!

• 82 hotdog // Feb 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Was my joke cutting it fine :-)

• 83 hotdog // Feb 15, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Just me this evening then. Billy no mates :-(

• 84 yo-yo // Feb 15, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Hi hotdog… blogkiller :(

Is there anybody out there…just nod if you can hear me.

• 85 yo-yo // Feb 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I think Anita has real class. He has vision an eye for a pass and a great work ethic.

• 86 Troy Stavers // Feb 15, 2013 at 8:49 PM

@Tsunki

You’ve got it wrong.

Surely everyone has an opinion and are entitled to it. Everyone pulls their hair out at others who have opposite views of their own.

Just because Fray has a different opinion to some , even though I agreed with him , then it doesn’t give him the right to go in a hissy fit and expect support.

He’s entitled to his hissy fit, but don’t ever expect support from me.

He’s made his statement and unless he changes his mind then good riddance.

C’est la vie. The world is full of hissy fitters and I’ve got no time for them unless they climb down from their self pity podium and eat humble pie. ;-)

• 87 hotdog // Feb 15, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Yoyo – thank you, thank you. Right I’m off now I know I’m not alone in this world. Haha

On Anita who would you drop for him?

• 88 toonicle // Feb 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Hotdog- I think Anita should get a run out before Tiote at this point.

• 89 obatoyou // Feb 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Anita and Tiote will play in the next 2 games, who will play in which one is the question!~

• 90 Graeme // Feb 15, 2013 at 9:31 PM

The ONLY thing stopping us winning the return game next Thursday will be Pardew.

Has he got the balls to actually go all out to win, knowing he has Saints 4 days later – therein lies the conundrum.

Does Pardew have the same faith as the fans, and evidently the majority of the players, that our new, improved squad, has the ability and strength to go out and WIN both games?? Personally, I’m not sure he has.

I so want us to win both games; feel completely confident that we will not be relegated this season, even if we drew with Saints. Has Pardew got the same sort of belief or is his League Position Bonus much more important??

My gut instinct is that Perdew will bottle it on Thursday. I so hope I am proved wrong!!

• 91 obatoyou // Feb 15, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I concur Graeme, come on, there is still over 10 games left in the league, and with those 2 wins we’ve clearly shown our strength, he doesn’t even need to field the exact same team, assuming thats our first eleven, but I don’t want to see Shola, Simpson, Williamson, and even Bigi.. in there, Sissoko can play in the middle with Cabaye or Tiote, and rest the other, with Marveaux, Obertan on the wings.. Guti can be rested..

• 92 yo-yo // Feb 15, 2013 at 9:39 PM

In what way will he bottle it Graeme ?

• 93 obatoyou // Feb 15, 2013 at 9:42 PM

A team like..

Krul

Mbiwa Coloccini Perch Santon

Anita
    Marveaux Sissoko Tiote Obertan
    Cisse

will do

• 94 aidantoon // Feb 15, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Would rest cab, sissoko, Colo,Saylor,,cisse for next leg of cup as need them fresh for league game.
    Hope Benny is back soon as will add more flair to team!

• 95 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Feb 15, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Ding dong

• 96 aidantoon // Feb 15, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Want to see Anita play holding role instead of tiote
    Would play Marv on the left with Benny on the right when fit.

• 97 Graeme // Feb 15, 2013 at 9:52 PM

YoYo – he will bottle it by playing Bambi, “resting” Cisse. He will leave Tiote out (If he plays Anita instead, I would be happy). Taylor will be replaced by Willo; He will have a weaker Bench as well as a weaker team.

If he plays the same team as last night – I will withdraw my comment and apologise – I just don’t think he will. Simply my gut reaction to the way he sets us up at times.

I don’t think he truly believes he now has a squad that could comfortably win on Thursday AND take 3 points of Saints – and that, to me, is a highly worrying situation!

• 98 hotdog // Feb 15, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Toonicle – I think tiote will be off in the summer. Anita will come in with bigi as back up.

• 99 yo-yo // Feb 15, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I think he has a huge dilemma agreed but I wouldn’t call it ‘bottling ‘ it. We are still short of firepower anway.
    I hope Anita will play. Have no probs with Cabs being rested. Expect Shola to play half an hour.
    Willo is not necessarily too bad an option for this game though I’d prefer to see Mbiwa in central defence and Haidara start.
    Santon got attacked big time so we need to watch their right wing.

It is a hard call to make for sure.

• 100 hotdog // Feb 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Willo in the Ukraine! I shudder at the thought.

I was in the camp of Shola having something to offer from the bench but he has looked terrible lately.

• 101 Graeme // Feb 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Yo-Yo, He has the players and they have the skills and ability to beat Metallist AND take 3 points off Saints. I dont believe there is any question there.

KK never failed to have anything but complete faith in his squad; SBR had nothing but complete faith in his squad – does our current manager have that same degree of faith??

If he doesn’t, given we now have the strongest, most skillful set of players in over 10 years – its a very poor reflection on Pardew. I really don’t know if Pardew is capable of putting his faith in his players and letting them go out and perform and win both matches.

If he Cant/ Wont play to win both games – then in my opinion, he no longer deserves to be the Manager of NUFC.

• 102 toonicle // Feb 15, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Hotdog- I’d have no complaints with that at all, i’m sure we could get 8 Mil or so for Tiote and use it on a winger that can actually complete a cross!

• 103 89Norcal // Feb 15, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Surely Anita and Marveaux will be starting in the 2nd leg.

That saves Pardew’s pet, Gutierrez, for the Shampton game :) Though Gouffran and Hatem may bar him from playing (fingers crossed).

I did not like our play with the 442 or 4411 or whatever it was last night, everyone seemed to be getting caught out in the opposition’s half.

• 104 hotdog // Feb 15, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Right lads got to go battery is gonna go. Enjoy shopping with the other half tomorrow or getting the jobs done that she has for ya. ;-)

• 105 yo-yo // Feb 15, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Shola’s okay for 20 mins max

• 106 Graeme // Feb 15, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Shola should now be allowed to organize his benefit match, to be held in the close season and then hang up his boots.

He has done amazingly well for a player who has been mediocre, at best, for far too long. His scoring record is woefull, but it cant detract from his ridiculously long carreer at SJP.

Get the benefit sorted, “Thanks Sholla” time for pastures new!!

• 107 yo-yo // Feb 15, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Graeme,
    Agree we are only two or three players short of a CL standard squad.
    Remember we are still easing our way out of a really bad run and confidence was shot all round. Its easy to say take chances but the price of failure is very high. It’d be a breeze if we were in a good run of form and no injuries.
    I think this’ll be Guti’s last season as a starter, and Tiote may well be on his way, but I do rate Anita, apart from ‘bullying’ the opposition.

• 108 Graeme // Feb 15, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Yo-Yo, while I agree with your logic, without question, we are indeed that close to a real quality side, it doesn’t solve the problem we face next Thursday and the following Sunday – Metalist away and Saints at home.

Can Pardew find the belief to place his faith in the players he has and trust them to get the 2 wins all the fans desperately want?

If he is incapable of that leap of faith; that degree of trust, then he should resign from his post at the end of the season. Sometimes, a Manager just has to let go, accept his players KNOW what to do and how to do it and simply let them get on with it!!

I think he will be so cautious, so terrified to lose, that we will end up emasculated by his personal fears and end up with nothing at all from the next two games. That my friend would be an absolute travesty.

• 109 Rake // Feb 15, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Padrew wants us to play a tight physical game. Staying compact defensively and a team capable of defending a lead comfortably. We don’t create a great deal of chances a game possibly only 4-6 on average ( i would guess). He wants us to keep clean sheets and convert on these few chances. He doesn’t want our team being open and attacking like Arsenal where they are always vulnerable when an attack breaks down.
    I know our team could play expansive football and one day knock in 4 odd goals but we would probably concede more. Whether you agree or not you have to see this as fact as it’s plain to see from his tenure
    Being kind to Pardew when we had our top players we kept it tight defensively and with Ba and then Cisse we where prolific in attack. This season we have not been able to keep clean sheets and we have not been converting the small amount of chances we create.

• 110 Graeme // Feb 15, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Rake, if that is really his philosophy, why on earth did he buy HBA, Cabaye, Sissoko, Goufran, Obertan, Debuchy, Santon, Marveaux etc, etc??

All players capable of opening a defence, creating and scoring goals?? Playing expansive, attacking football.

It is truly a contradiction of philosophy.

• 111 Rake // Feb 15, 2013 at 11:29 PM

@ Graeme
    I don’t disagree with you at all, just reading comments on this blog about Pardew and tactics never seem to see what I believe to be obvious. I think people get frustrated by this approach as they see the technical quality of most of our players. When we attacked Manu and Arsenal we were obviously dangerous and at Spurs first half it seemed like we where on top. We have a cautious manager who tries to play the percentages I guess some times as a fan we want him to say let’s grab them by the balls and finish this team off.

• 112 Graeme // Feb 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Rake, I agree with your sentiments.

The way Pardew is approaching games since the influx of amazing talent, well, its frightening. This squad has more than enough skill and ability to win our next two vital games, without a doubt.

Has Pardew got the skill and ability to match that of his players and actually produce those two wins? To be honest, for the first time, I really don’t think he has.

His fears and lack of belief is likely to cost us dearly in the next 10 days.

• 113 jimmysmith // Feb 16, 2013 at 12:35 AM

I think we are capable of nicking the tie if we pick our best 11.

It’s a dillemma for Pardew, but surely with the depth we now have and plenty of games left in the Premiership we won’t be left wondering what if, next Thursday night.

Same team again, with Gouffran in for Marveaux if fit, for mine.

• 114 Jail for Ashley // Feb 16, 2013 at 3:34 AM

Bollance,
    Players don’t roll around in Europe like they do in the Prem, wtf pal, who do you think introduced theatrics into the English game.

• 115 Corny74 // Feb 16, 2013 at 4:47 AM

Hey, I’m heading to my first games at SJP in march (staying in Toon for a fortnight). Travelling all the way from Aus . (Life long dream) Just looking for advice on where I should sit for the best atmosphere. And also any suggestions on which pub is best for pre game drinks. Thanks.

• 116 IITianToon // Feb 16, 2013 at 6:27 AM

My team for next Thursday:
    Krul
    Santon– Mbiwa–Colo–Haidara
    Anita–Perch
    Jonas?????–Marveaux–Obertan
    Cisse

Who do we play at RW if not Jonas. I think I will play him next Thursday and hope that once Benny is back, that will be the end of El Galgo.
    Marveaux HAS TO BE PLAYED ATTACKMID. He is not hardworking enough to run up and down the wing. But the guy can just run straight through their defence from the centre. The wings is a bloody problem for us without HBA and Goofs.

• 117 IITianToon // Feb 16, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Krul and Colo wont get knackered in that game, and Santon is a young lad.. 1 week of rest is enough for him to go through 2 games in 4 days. The rest I have protected : Saylor, Cabaye, Sissoko.
    Tiote is the big qmark for me. Against a not so physical and more technical team like Southampton, I’d much prefer Anita. And Anita wont get knackered either playing those 2 games on the back. If anything I back him to excel.

• 118 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 16, 2013 at 7:08 AM

play strongest team in both

Ben Arfa, Goufron and Debuchy (both cup tied) will come in against Southampton. Anita and Marvo both won’t start so there is another player who will be fresh. Danny Simpson, Wilko, Perch, Bigirimana and Shola probably won’t start iether so there is 8 players should be fresh and could fit in.
    Anyway we played Man Utd and Arsenal over Christmas in four days and nearly got a result in both.

• 119 Ian Toon // Feb 16, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Mr Tuff- Good Morning. What are you on about Mr Tuff? You should have realised by know that I am not a ” don’t know” poster. LOL. I am inclined to forcibly attempt to support the hard done by whether Jonas or Pardew rather than the softer options. Not only because of total overreaction and condemnation based upon either current or historic performance indicators as a means of assessing future occurrences and performance. It’s not distilled thinking. Try reading back the pre and during match postings from our so called fans. I make no apologies for repeating my point. Because it perfectly illustrates the clueless and why I feel compelled at times to provide counter balance. I have full confidence that Pardew’s master strategy will come to full fruition. Enjoy your day.

• 120 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 16, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Morning lads,

I feel a good hammering coming on.

3 or 4 in the away leg i hope.

As Pards said “fire in their bellys.”

HTL.

• 121 Ian Toon // Feb 16, 2013 at 8:46 AM

When Llambias speaks of two failed deals in the window is he including Loic Remy ? One was Florian Thauvin who opted for Lille.

• 122 Troy Stavers // Feb 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM

@Jimmysmith

I don’t see a dilemma. Pards should pick his strongest team for Thursday and what ever squad he has available for the Southampton game, he picks his strongest team.

Simples. ;-)

• 123 Ian Toon // Feb 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Interesting comments by Brendan Rodgers on mental toughness and the need for mentality change. He’s talking about recruiting such men with character next summer. At the same time Liverpool will be looking to off load AC. We have a good professional squad and no bad apples( I don’t think of Ranger as being in the squad) let’s keep it that way.

previous post: We Can Win It Next Week – Papiss Cisse