The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Young Magpie – I Came To Be A Big Player At Newcastle

10:56 am, Monday, February 18th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 98 Comments

Kevin Mbabu was signed by Newcastle from Swiss side Servette last month for a fee of around £1M, and Newcastle beat off interest from Manchester United and Arsenal, although after he signed Kevin said he always wanted to join Newcastle – who were his first choice over Arsenal and Manchester United. So he’s also very intelligent. :D

kevin mbabu 98732

Kevin Mbabu - 17 year-old highly regarded youngster

Kevin has played for all the Swiss Youth sides through U19 level, and he’s played 3 times at that level so far – not bad for a 17 year old – and he played once for Servette.

The youngster can play full-back or center-back and can also play in defensive midfield, so he’s a versatile player.

And my son Neil pointed out that Kevin was among the players celebrating against Chelsea,  when Moussa Sissoko scored that sensational winner on 90 minutes – so he’s been around the first team squad since he arrived, although he’s now training with the Development squad.

This is what the very likable Mbabu told the Shields Gazette today:

“I don’t know when I’ll get my chance, but when I have my chance, I will give 100 per cent,” “I’m very happy to be here. Newcastle is a big club. I came here to be a big player at Newcastle – I want to make a career here.”

“It was my dream to play in England when I was young.” “Every time I watched a Premier League game, I dreamed of playing in England.” “This is a very good stadium with a very good atmosphere. I was at the Chelsea game. It was incredible.”

“I’m with the youth team, and I’m going to finish my development.” “I have to work hard, and then we’ll see.” “Everyone at the club has been very friendly. I’m very happy here.” “My best position is right-back, but I can

Mbabu was on the radar screens of both Manchester United and Arsenal, but he wanted to come and join Newcastle after having a trail on Tyneside, and he was delighted when he singed near the end of the transfer window last month.

The fact that Kevin is a versatile player will also help him in his career at Newcastle.

In truth Newcastle have not been successful in bringing young players through at the club since Mike Ashley became the owner almost six years ago – so perhaps Kevin will change all that.

We hope so.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Development · Kevin Mbabu · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Newcastle Youth

98 responses so far ↓

• 1 Transfer Sage // Feb 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Know nothing about this lad other than he has a decent reputation…hopefully he can kick on and become a good player for us over the next few seasons.

• 2 magpietillidie // Feb 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Good signing young and with a bright future but we still need good english players. Like transfer sage said we should be searching high and low and maybe paying over the odds sometimes for a young english player

• 3 Transfer Sage // Feb 18, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Rotonda

From previous post.

I think we did very well against metalist, if we took our chances and the officials were on form we would have looked at a 3/4 goal lead going into the away leg.

• 4 Transfer Sage // Feb 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

magpietilidie

We can only have 17 non homegrown/british players in the squad….therefore we need to look to bring through the academy system some kids or failing that we need to look at bringing some good british/homegrown talent into the club.

We can only buy abroad for so long until we max our limit…we need to be finding good youngsters.

I think adam campbell will be useful for us, as will vukic if he can stay fit….other than those maybe good and this mbabu but thats all I think.

• 5 Transfer Sage // Feb 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM

The team I’d like to see for thursday:

————krul————–
    santon—mbiwa–colo—haidara
    ——–tiote—–cabaye——
    jonas(gouff if fit)–marv—-obertan
    ———–cisse—————–

• 6 toonincheek // Feb 18, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Sage – you don’t know youir onions -
    you forgot Bigi, I think.

• 7 magpietillidie // Feb 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM

TRANSFER SAGE agree maybe its our coaches at youth levels as to why we cant get the young players through our youth system or lack of quality it could be our scouting system is wrong but somthing needs done now

• 8 JTOONJ // Feb 18, 2013 at 11:23 AM

but i can…. he didn’t finish his sentance!

• 9 Transfer Sage // Feb 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM

toonincheek

Ah yeh…forgot about bigi…he looks a real player for his age too….especially in a role which suits a more experienced player to read the game he does well.

• 10 Transfer Sage // Feb 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM

magpietilidie

Not sure what the problem is….We never seem to loan them to good clubs…always league 2 or SPL….we don’t often have many going to somewhere in the championship which is better for them as it’s a higher standard.

We should really look to get sammy, fergie, tav and campbell out for the rest of the year. We don’t really need them and if we do just make sure we can recall them if we get injuries.

• 11 The Boy // Feb 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM

i thought bigi counted as home grown like krul as he was brought through as a youngster ?

• 12 magpietillidie // Feb 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM

TRANSFER SAGE yeh mate we,ve had very thew come through our youth system and done well STEVIE T and ANDY C the only ones who are first team regulars as to starters someone somewhere in the club must see this and know it needs sorting

• 13 Transfer Sage // Feb 18, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Hopefully we can produce a few more.

There is a lot of kids who play football in the north east so surely we should be able to get a couple more through.

• 14 magpietillidie // Feb 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Theres defo good players from the north east but even the legend Alan Shearer didnt get picked up by the scouts adam johnson is another for many years now we are missing top prospects at a young age this is a problem we should look into

• 15 Markaccus // Feb 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM

@tsage

Goofy can’t play thursday, even if fit. He’s cup tied.

• 16 Transfer Sage // Feb 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM

markaccus

I knew that :( damn my short term memory haha.

In that case jonas it is.

• 17 Unbelievable Tekkers // Feb 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Transfer Sage – Goofy is cup tied so he cant play regardless of fitness

The Boy – Bigi is home grown he is qualified to play for England or Burundi

Magpietillidie – I dont think it is just newcastle who have a a lack of quality coaching but the majority of england. Also the amount of coaches we have in england is much lower than the likes of germany and spain. The FA have had a big drive to recruit new coaches as 2/3 years ago the likes of spain and germany had about 10 times the amount of coaches that we did.

• 18 Transfer Sage // Feb 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM

tekkers

Yeh i realised after i posted my comment.

We do need more coaches…don’t see why we can’t try and get some in from europe to work alongside our boys.

• 19 Greebol1892 // Feb 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Wonder where Kevin was at weekend? He was on the same flight as me from Amsterdam to Newcastle yesterday evening. Very promising player.

• 20 Ian Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Pushy- thanks mate but don’t put yourself out. Their not worth
    the bother. See were linked with Puncheon. He played well
    against us and is two footed. Good squad signing on the cheap.

• 21 SupaToonKid // Feb 18, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Who would you lads rather have Dries Mertens or Georginio Wijnaldum?

• 22 Transfer Sage // Feb 18, 2013 at 12:49 PM

ian

Puncheon wouldn’t do any harm on a free but he doesn’t offer that much more than we already have.

I’d have him as a squad player over the likes of obertan or jonas as he has is a solid performer and doesn’t take up a over seas squad place.

But I wouldn’t want him to be a regular for us.

• 23 toonincheek // Feb 18, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Sage -

I think it makes sense to loan young players fist to a team from lower leagues.
    They can learn there, including learning how to dominate.
    Then, they can move up a bit.

Throwing them in too deep too early can lead to a loss of confidence. And even a place on the bench.

What we need, apart from skill and commitment, is players playing regularly and learning to have confidence in their abilities.

Disappointed to see Good was only on the bench over the weekend.

• 24 Ian Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Transfer- He is versatile and improving. He could well lose his place when Lallana is fully fit but has had an excellent season at the Saints. I share your thoughts on Obertan and for me he is on borrowed time.

• 25 Transfer Sage // Feb 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM

toonincheek

Thats my problem though…our kids on loan are around 19-21….it makes it more important to get regular football at a good level.

Playing every week in the SPL can only teach so much, they need to be playing in the championship at least really.

the problem is out kids don’t seem good enough to get a spot on championship which isn’t great.

I’d like to seem sammy, fergie and campbell in the championship and I believe they are good enough.

• 26 Transfer Sage // Feb 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM

ian

I want to like obertan but he doesn’t even seem to do the basics like run at players…he does it sometimes but nowhere near enough.

Hopefully something will click one day but i’m not holding my breath.

• 27 Markaccus // Feb 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM

@sage.

I’m sorry, that’s just not good enough! Dress yourself as a model and report to Oscar Pistorius immediately. You must be shot in the face!

• 28 Ian Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM

bollance- if nothing else we’ve got a blog wide debate going, on the need for academy players and new signings to go out on loan at an earlier age. It does take time but you have to make a start.

• 29 chris_g // Feb 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM

The Boy // Feb 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM

————————————

The home grown rule only applies to players aged 21 or over (ie the ones who need to be named in the 25 man squad).

He’s still only 19 so it will be a few years before the rule applies to him, but when that time comes he will be counted as home grown.

• 30 Ian Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Transfer- he joined with low self esteem courtesy of Fergie. Blistering pace but lacks a football brain.

• 31 Phatoon // Feb 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I’d like to see Obertan brought on to play with Gouffran in the later stages of a game (especially if we are ahead). I think the two of them could cause havoc on the break with all that pace.

• 32 Transfer Sage // Feb 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Ian

It gets to a stage though where obertan can’t keep blaming fergie or man utd for his own failings.

He was poor at utd, he had limited chances but he never took them, he was playing with top players so he would have had more time and options so he has to look at himself too.

I don’t think he lacks confidence too much for us, it’s simply he doesn’t go past people often enough as he cannot do it consistently.

Hopefully he gets better and shows to be a good buy but I really can’t see it.

However as long as he is hear and giving it his all he has my backing….even if he is poor its not his fault he is selected and if he tries thats all you can ask of a player.

• 33 magpietillidie // Feb 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Obertan is quick and thats all he,s got. we have no good wingers that get down the line and put good crossess in. we have benny but he is left footed on the right side so if we attack with pace both wingers on each side have to cut back to put a decent cross in. We need someone who can cross when running at pace that would give us a diffrent in attack

• 34 tooninspain // Feb 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Hiding behind the bathroom door in Pistorius’s house is too good for JailforAshley.

• 35 yo-yo // Feb 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM

magpie @33

Oba delivers better than Jonas that’s for sure. He has got a few assists though – agree he is not consistently good at final delivery mind – but a couple of guys on the edge of the box or 6yd line and he’ll have a decent target.

• 36 Ian Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Transfer– How about Obertan as a through the middle striker playing on the last defender. Maximising his pace like a Theo Wacott. He came on late on against Blackburn away and scored by just out stripping their defence.. My concern with him is that he plays with his head down and lacks natural movement . He seems incapable of running and centring on the move. He is not a fluid mover and would benefit from spending a lot of time with our fitness coach.

• 37 Transfer Sage // Feb 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Ian

It’s a possibility but I think gouffran is a pacey player and naturally a forward so he would be ahead obertan for that position.

With santon at left back obertan should be playing from the left with a lot of license to drift inside and have santon provide width some of the time.

• 38 Ian Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Transfer- In any event there is going to be one hell of a shake up of those under performing youngsters. The Europa provided the perfect opportunity to display burgeoning skills but few have advanced their
    standing. In fact Bigirimana is one of few and his route via the experience of a year in the Championship is the way to go.

• 39 magpietillidie // Feb 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM

YO YO both are dier crossers of the ball for me jonas only plays for his defending and obertan is quick with very little end product we need a winger who can beat a man on the outside then just whip it in with pace

• 40 robin // Feb 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM

NUFC, need a quality manager who knows how to develop these young players. Pardew is not up to the standard required for a big club like NUFC, he paid 7million for Mbwia and plays him out of position,rather than drop Colocini, who wants to leave the club, he also paid 6 million for Anita, who cannot get a game ahead of Jonas, Pardew is useless it will not take the French players long to suss him out then they will move on as they only use NUFC as a foot in the door into the Premier league.

• 41 Transfer Sage // Feb 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM

robin

Well why would he play anita for jonas? Jonas plays wide, anita plays central.

Also Pardew isn’t the main guy working with the kids, thats not his fault.

The fact is our football it much better since the new boys came in and he is heading in the right direction.

Mbiwa is very good but why chuck him in when saylor and colo are doing pretty well and have a lot of experience in the league.

• 42 catchy in norway // Feb 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM

i think we played well against metal boys, i think it was no where near our strongest team we could have picked

he went with wingers(433) and other than obertan streching his legs a few times, there was no end ball from both him or jonas

you carnt tell me you were sitting there thinking when these 2 got the ball , we would create something, i cringed everytime :(

all the good balls came from sissoko, mb, santon, cabaye

jonas is now a fully fledged headless chicken :( very sad to see

im not to optomistic about thursday,

i also think it is very sad that pardew is kind of saying his players cart play 2 games in 4 days, when you bare in mind they have had a very good break :(

excuses,, he should be saying he can win both, not mentioning tiredness at all

• 43 catchy in norway // Feb 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM

also on the kids,,

they carnt be that bad, they just got beat in a tounement by AC, but won 2 out of 3,,

we have a manager who does not use the kids strengths, he tries to fit them into many positions and blames them for it all going wrong,,

• 44 Transfer Sage // Feb 18, 2013 at 2:50 PM

catchy

I agree jonas and obertan off very little in the primary role of a winger which is attack…they are poor at that. Jonas does work hard but thats not his number 1 job out wide.

I think ben arfa and gouffran will be the wingers when both fit and available so it seems we are heading in the right direction.

• 45 Transfer Sage // Feb 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM

catchy

I think we have some talented youngsters but not many.

The thing is they had to be used this year when we were short of players. This meant they were coming into a team with mismatched players. We had few senior lads and some were out of position so it makes it harder for the young lads.

Ideally you bring one or two into a winning team when they are in form but it was a case of all hands to the deck this season which hasn’t helped.

• 46 Ian Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Transfer- it’s not just about how they perform
    in matches. Gascoigne apparently as a 16 year
    old had to be dragged off the training ground.
    Tamas Kadar( who big things were expected)
    it appears did the least amount possible.
    Motivation comes from within. The senior
    players at a club have a big influence on
    the youngsters which is why I have high
    hopes for Abeid under the tutelage of HBA.
    He wasted a season though by refusing to go
    out on loan last season. Pre season he really
    stood out but appeared lazy when on show
    earlier this- maybe the blood and thunder
    SPL will help his development.

• 47 Ian Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Catchy- Hope you had a good holiday in
    Newcastle!

• 48 catchy in norway // Feb 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Transfer Sage

i agree that both will be / should be replaced by the 2 you mention,,

but last thurs,, id have had marv in for one of them, he is quick, and can provide quality

is there a more light weight player in the prem than obertan?

regards the kids.. when the team is doing well, pardew will stick with , shola, perch, obertan, i really dont think he likes developing the kids, he likes ready made players that make him look good

i felt sorry for cisse, through no fault of his own, he had 2 good goals chalked off, in the match he had about 5 chances, and took 2,, not bad if you ask me

• 49 catchy in norway // Feb 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Ian Toon

its been put off for a month or 2,, been viewing houses,, and been skiing with the kids while they have had a week off

• 50 Transfer Sage // Feb 18, 2013 at 3:28 PM

catchy

We’ll see…when doing well last season (unbeaten run) we saw a few good glimpses of sammy. He wasn’t amazing but looked much better than he did this year. Hopefully we will see the same again with a few.

Ian

Yeh I know what you mean. I heard some commentator talking about ronaldo and how he did so many hours a week extra compared to anyone, even did daft things like use ankle weights when practicing dribbling to improve his close control.

You’re right the key is a balance between talent, hard work and good advice.

• 51 bollance // Feb 18, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Ian

I am well and truly in this youth debate. My opinion is the club is failing these youngster by not pushing them hard enough, bringing them through the youth teams fact enough or securing them loan deals.

We need a serious rethink on the youth system because we need to produce our own. Pards said we can keep going out and buying 5 new players every windows. It is nice for the supporters to see that happen but it is also better to see a tim Krul or saylor come through the ranks.

With limited resources southampton and man city have had great success in the past 5-10 years. Things have changed at man city and I doubt they will bring anyone through of any note for a long time even with £200m investment in training facilities.

• 52 bollance // Feb 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Can anyone remember the emergence of olivier Bernard. He was sent to Hartlepool or Darlington by booby to toughen up. I am sure Bernard ended up toughening up some of the right wingers in league 1 / 2.

That guy loved a 50/50 challenge. I used to joke that he mis-timed his first tough so he would end up going in 50/50.

His best moment without a doubt was when Robert blasted the ball off his head after winning a free kick. Bernard went down in slow motion. Robert really could strike a football!

• 53 Ian Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 3:39 PM

We currently have an abundance of young CB’s. In addition to the new Swiss lad.
    Transfer- your often mentioning getting in a foreign coach
    to work with Pardew. I think the academy could do with an
    aspiring young foreign coach. Good habits being taught via
    the new breed of coach rather than the old stagers we have!

• 54 Kc-Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Im sure i read somewhere Alan Pardew had a hand in the development of Gareth Bale, Theo walcott, Jonjo shelvey, Mark noble, scott carson and a few more. I Think he works harder behind the scenes with youth players than people actully give him credit for. For me, i cant remember a season our youth setup has looked as impressive, although still not premier league standard

• 55 bollance // Feb 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Liverpool knicked the coach from barca?

Don’t get too excited by an lot of good centre backs at the club it is very hard to come through at centre back in the prem.

Look at the england team. How many caps has jagielka got!

• 56 bollance // Feb 18, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Kc

I think u can add collison to the list not that he is a world beater but a welsh int. nevertheless.

• 57 bollance // Feb 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Hba back in training.. He is not yet as good as messi.

• 58 bollance // Feb 18, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Really hope pards does not take our big hitters to Ukraine then not play them till we are a goal down.

That would really annoy me as we either take them an play them or leave them at home.

• 59 Ian Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Catchy- April is a great time to watch the Toon
    with on paper winnable games in prospect.

• 60 Ian Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Kc- Dean Ashton and Lallana.

• 61 Kc-Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Yeah collison seemed to be a great talent a few years back until injury hit him. I wonder if he ever had anything to do with Oxlade-chamberlain

• 62 bollance // Feb 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Ian

Ashton retired while pards was at west ham. It could be suggested that as the club never replace Ashton (claimed to be the future England #9) it cost pards his job at west ham.

Looking back pards is a bit of an unlucky manager. This season to say the least we have been unlucky. However, in direct contrast we were lucky last season but aruably made our luck last season.

• 63 breno95 // Feb 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Excellent piece in the press today about Bayern Munich and the views of their board and how they run the club if anyone interested. Well worth a read.

As for Europa, Pardew should play a strong team no matter what. He could go with:-
    Elliott
    anita mbwia colo haidara
    Obertan tiote perch marveaux
    ben arfa
    cisse

at home to soton something like this:-
    Krul
    debuchy mbwia taylor santon
    Anita sissoko cabaye
    ben arfa cisse gouffran

as for CB issues in the summer i expect to progress the squad to see colo and williamson to be sold and replaced with the young lad at valenciennes plus 1 out of Sakho, Alderwerield or Douglas. I would also cash in on Tiote and replace with Siem de Jong and also see if Dortmond are tempted to deal on luuk de jong.

That would give Pardew real selection problems. If a reality my choice 1st 11 would be:-
    Krul
    debuchy mbwia sakho santon
    sissoko cabaye siem de jong
    benarfa luuk de jong gouffran

right selection, injury free season, consistency and above all good management and that team/squad should challenge top 4 and end our 44 year wait for a trophy.

• 64 bollance // Feb 18, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Kc

Pards needs to bring a few of the coaches / ideas from Southampton as they probably have had the most successful youth policy this century.

I like the look of shaw their new left back though think he will be injured for Sunday vs us. He’s only 17?

• 65 Ian Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM

bollance- we need to get players out on loan sooner and playing in a higher league than Division 1. Krul was not an Ashley/ Wise signing. The big youth hope from Wise was Kadar. Bernard was a force to be reckoned with and at times had a touch like an elephant.
    Ginola rather than Robert.

• 66 bollance // Feb 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Breno

u can probably presume back 5 will be the same as home leg vs metalist with debuchy coming in for MYM vs Southampton.

Then gouffran will start and possibly hba too if he is ready. Cisse will play both games up top. Lets hope he gets a break.

Central midfield may be mixed up with perch, Anita, cabaye and tiote all fighting it out for two places. Competition can only bring out the best in our players

• 67 bollance // Feb 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Ian

Robert in his first season was on a par with ginola?

After that in my opinion Robert fizzled out and stopped taking on players.

Krul made his debut under roeder vs Palermo away and kept a clean sheet. For me that is up there with sissokos home debut vs chelsea

• 68 toonicle // Feb 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Considering Debuchy, Gouffran and possibly Ben Arfa will be ready and able to play the game on Sunday i’d really like to see Pards go all out with his team selection for Thursday. We can win it!

• 69 89Norcal // Feb 18, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Gouffran and Hatem back for the Southampton game, can’t wait! :D

• 70 askar // Feb 18, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Sammy Ameobi has announced today that the ‘real’ boss, Hatem Ben Arfa, has returned to full training today :-) :-) :-) I can only imagine.

• 71 Owldman // Feb 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Sadly the way our season went Pardew was unable to blood more of the young talent we had he did in the in the Europa Cup but unfortunately this is a far cry from the Premiereship, if we had been in a stronger position in the league I’ve no doubt we we would have seen more of the youngsters , I believe next season with the talent we have around them some of the youngsters will fulfill their potential and repay the the investment we have made in them

• 72 Ian Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Owl- Next season chances are we will not be in the Europa. There will be less opportunities and they need to go out on loan to prove themselves. Many are arguably likely to have missed the boat altogether and would be blogging the development of younger prospects. We need to change the cosy atmosphere and I believe a culling this summer will start the necessary process if we are ever to compete with the top PL sides.

• 73 Ian Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 6:03 PM

For blogging read blocking

• 74 sanchez // Feb 18, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Team for metalist:
    Krul
    Anita M’biwa Saylor Santon
    Guti Tiote Cabaye Marveaux
    Sissoko
    Cisse

Bigi, Perch and Shola to come off the bench.

Team for saints:
    Krul
    Debuchy Colo Saylor Santon
    Tiote Cabaye
    HBA Sissoko Gouffran
    Cisse

Guti, Perch and Anita to come off the bench.

• 75 Ian Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 6:06 PM

This is the message being delivered across our fan forums. It is more than just an aimless PR exercise.

• 76 Pushy Pardew // Feb 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Against Metalist the ability to keep possession and counter attack will be vital. Anita will start and provide the link required to switch play from defence to attack. His pass and move style will also enable
    high pressing.

• 77 Ian Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I certainly would not play Anita as a full back. We need to defend well. Keep the same defence. Does Anita have the physicality to launch quick counter attacks from defensive positions? I would say yes provided he’s alongside Cabaye. I would play a strong side from the off as Bollance has suggested. I would though play Marveaux rather than Obertan.

• 78 NUFC_LEAZES END // Feb 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Team I would like to see on Thursday.
    Elliot
    Yanga m’biwa Taylor. Colo haidaira
    Anita tiote marv
    Cabaye
    Cisse shola

• 79 NUFC_LEAZES END // Feb 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Team for Southampton
    Krul
    Debuchy Taylor colo santon
    Cabaye tiote sissoko
    Marv cisse gouffran

• 80 NUFC_LEAZES END // Feb 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Thats 5 changes to our 1st team, but still both are strong line ups

• 81 hotdog // Feb 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Breno – you got a link bud?

• 82 Pushy Pardew // Feb 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Can’t see Haidaira making his debut on Thursday. Also feel that if Krul travels he will start. There is a lot to be gained from playing players who were involved in the first leg. Anita watched from the bench. Light training after game and away we go against Southampton.

• 83 NUFC_LEAZES END // Feb 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM

@pushy pardew
    I would love to see him given his ful debut in Thursday, because santon looked exhausted on Thursday gone, and haidaira looked a good player for AS Nancy

• 84 Pushy Pardew // Feb 18, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Nufc
    Your right but Santon has had time to recover. It’s not the game for his debut. He is a good prospect I agree and. We could well see him once were clear of relegation worries.

• 85 Ian Toon // Feb 18, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Pushy-Good engaging.

• 86 NUFC_LEAZES END // Feb 18, 2013 at 6:55 PM

@pushy
    Yeah true, I forgot they’ve had a week off aswell, with their being no game for us yesterday or Saturday. And I sort of agree about it not being the right game for haidairas debut, an away game in a hostile place like ukraine

• 87 Pushy Pardew // Feb 18, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Nufc
    I fancy our chances. Imagine getting through and winning on Sunday. That would really set up our season and for a 48 point finish. I forecast our remaining games.!
    Off to the gym.

• 88 Jail for Ashley // Feb 18, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Toonisapain,
    Seems like you have a grudge with me, I didn’t insult you I just asked how anal you were after your angry rant over the use of commas and exclamation marks, no different to me asking you if you are sad, or happy.

• 89 Jail for Ashley // Feb 18, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Ian Toon,
    If you are not using the alter ego Pushy Pardew then I can only apologize but if thats the case aren’t you slightly disturbed over the obsessive manner in which ‘Pushy Pardew’ constantly refers to you in his posts.

• 90 toonicle // Feb 18, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Ben Arfa coming back for the Southampton game will be the best thing we could ask for.

• 91 NUFC_LEAZES END // Feb 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM

@pushy
    Yeah that would be mint like

• 92 bollance // Feb 18, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Jail

Liked your post the other day and agree that Ashley made the mistake for as Shearer says not making an investment to keep up with the rest of the Prem.

Fair play. You have already thrown away the key with MA.

I do think MA is getting us ready to be sold. He could have pumped mooney in left right and centre but with FFP it would have been costly and left us in a worse off position long run.

But the better we do the better MA does. It is in his best interest to make us great again!

• 93 Rotonda heights // Feb 18, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Jail

Ian does have form and was previously outed for inventing people to support his arguments and views. Very sad really.

• 94 magpietillidie // Feb 18, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Just sitting thinking and it never really dawned on me who,s are third choise stricker

• 95 magpietillidie // Feb 18, 2013 at 7:41 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOBBY ROBSON TRUE LEGEND WE MISS YOU MUCH

• 96 beefman13 // Feb 18, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Conspiracy theory with Pardew could be he deliberatly dumbed down the younger players chances and that of Adam campbell in case they did come through, thus stopping the owner from shelling out some bit in the window, i cant think of any other reason why he would have kept on playing that same team even with the injuries we had, the team that kept getting stuffed.

If that wasnt the case and he genuinly feels that the younger players are a parcel as he just about said (criminal for a manager to pull a set of lads down like that) then he has even less clue than i thought before. Campbell should have had a chance months ago without question, how can you say someone is as good as anyone in the whole squad in training then not give him a sniff??? beggars belief, shola is not in the same league as Campbell.

If we start improving and god willing we will it will be beacuse of the players brought in by graham carr. Put Ian Holloway in charge of our squad and he would have us playing terrific football, he works on shoestrings but i would swap him for Pardew in a heartbeat.

• 97 tooninspain // Feb 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Ashley…..calling someone anal is an insult. Don’t do it again laddie

• 98 Owldman // Feb 19, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Ian Toon, unless we are very fortunate, I dont expect us to be in the Europa’s next season we have a hard enough fight to stay in the Prem.What I meant was that with the talent we now have hopefully we will be in a much stronger league position & because of this bring on some of the younger players, this is what Fergie & Wenger have done for years.Liverpool in their heydays bought players from the lower divisions and taught them to play in the Liverpool way before letting them anywhere near the first team.Paisley & Shankly were masters at it

previous post: This Is Why The Pressure Is On Metalist On Thursday