Young Magpie – I Came To Be A Big Player At Newcastle

Kevin Mbabu was signed by Newcastle from Swiss side Servette last month for a fee of around £1M, and Newcastle beat off interest from Manchester United and Arsenal, although after he signed Kevin said he always wanted to join Newcastle – who were his first choice over Arsenal and Manchester United. So he’s also very intelligent. 😀

kevin mbabu 98732

Kevin Mbabu – 17 year-old highly regarded youngster

Kevin has played for all the Swiss Youth sides through U19 level, and he’s played 3 times at that level so far – not bad for a 17 year old – and he played once for Servette.

The youngster can play full-back or center-back and can also play in defensive midfield, so he’s a versatile player.

And my son Neil pointed out that Kevin was among the players celebrating against Chelsea,  when Moussa Sissoko scored that sensational winner on 90 minutes – so he’s been around the first team squad since he arrived, although he’s now training with the Development squad.

This is what the very likable Mbabu told the Shields Gazette today:

“I don’t know when I’ll get my chance, but when I have my chance, I will give 100 per cent,” “I’m very happy to be here. Newcastle is a big club. I came here to be a big player at Newcastle – I want to make a career here.”

“It was my dream to play in England when I was young.” “Every time I watched a Premier League game, I dreamed of playing in England.” “This is a very good stadium with a very good atmosphere. I was at the Chelsea game. It was incredible.”

“I’m with the youth team, and I’m going to finish my development.” “I have to work hard, and then we’ll see.” “Everyone at the club has been very friendly. I’m very happy here.” “My best position is right-back, but I can

Mbabu was on the radar screens of both Manchester United and Arsenal, but he wanted to come and join Newcastle after having a trail on Tyneside, and he was delighted when he singed near the end of the transfer window last month.

The fact that Kevin is a versatile player will also help him in his career at Newcastle.

In truth Newcastle have not been successful in bringing young players through at the club since Mike Ashley became the owner almost six years ago – so perhaps Kevin will change all that.

We hope so.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Know nothing about this lad other than he has a decent reputation…hopefully he can kick on and become a good player for us over the next few seasons.

• magpietillidie

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Good signing young and with a bright future but we still need good english players. Like transfer sage said we should be searching high and low and maybe paying over the odds sometimes for a young english player

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Rotonda

From previous post.

I think we did very well against metalist, if we took our chances and the officials were on form we would have looked at a 3/4 goal lead going into the away leg.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

magpietilidie

We can only have 17 non homegrown/british players in the squad….therefore we need to look to bring through the academy system some kids or failing that we need to look at bringing some good british/homegrown talent into the club.

We can only buy abroad for so long until we max our limit…we need to be finding good youngsters.

I think adam campbell will be useful for us, as will vukic if he can stay fit….other than those maybe good and this mbabu but thats all I think.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM

The team I’d like to see for thursday:

————krul————–
    santon—mbiwa–colo—haidara
    ——–tiote—–cabaye——
    jonas(gouff if fit)–marv—-obertan
    ———–cisse—————–

• toonincheek

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Sage – you don’t know youir onions –
    you forgot Bigi, I think.

• magpietillidie

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM

TRANSFER SAGE agree maybe its our coaches at youth levels as to why we cant get the young players through our youth system or lack of quality it could be our scouting system is wrong but somthing needs done now

• JTOONJ

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:23 AM

but i can…. he didn’t finish his sentance!

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM

toonincheek

Ah yeh…forgot about bigi…he looks a real player for his age too….especially in a role which suits a more experienced player to read the game he does well.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM

magpietilidie

Not sure what the problem is….We never seem to loan them to good clubs…always league 2 or SPL….we don’t often have many going to somewhere in the championship which is better for them as it’s a higher standard.

We should really look to get sammy, fergie, tav and campbell out for the rest of the year. We don’t really need them and if we do just make sure we can recall them if we get injuries.

• The Boy

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM

i thought bigi counted as home grown like krul as he was brought through as a youngster ?

• magpietillidie

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM

TRANSFER SAGE yeh mate we,ve had very thew come through our youth system and done well STEVIE T and ANDY C the only ones who are first team regulars as to starters someone somewhere in the club must see this and know it needs sorting

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Hopefully we can produce a few more.

There is a lot of kids who play football in the north east so surely we should be able to get a couple more through.

• magpietillidie

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Theres defo good players from the north east but even the legend Alan Shearer didnt get picked up by the scouts adam johnson is another for many years now we are missing top prospects at a young age this is a problem we should look into

• Markaccus

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM

@tsage

Goofy can’t play thursday, even if fit. He’s cup tied.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM

markaccus

I knew that 🙁 damn my short term memory haha.

In that case jonas it is.

• Unbelievable Tekkers

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Transfer Sage – Goofy is cup tied so he cant play regardless of fitness

The Boy – Bigi is home grown he is qualified to play for England or Burundi

Magpietillidie – I dont think it is just newcastle who have a a lack of quality coaching but the majority of england. Also the amount of coaches we have in england is much lower than the likes of germany and spain. The FA have had a big drive to recruit new coaches as 2/3 years ago the likes of spain and germany had about 10 times the amount of coaches that we did.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM

tekkers

Yeh i realised after i posted my comment.

We do need more coaches…don’t see why we can’t try and get some in from europe to work alongside our boys.

• Greebol1892

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Wonder where Kevin was at weekend? He was on the same flight as me from Amsterdam to Newcastle yesterday evening. Very promising player.

• Ian Toon

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Pushy- thanks mate but don’t put yourself out. Their not worth
    the bother. See were linked with Puncheon. He played well
    against us and is two footed. Good squad signing on the cheap.

• SupaToonKid

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Who would you lads rather have Dries Mertens or Georginio Wijnaldum?

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:49 PM

ian

Puncheon wouldn’t do any harm on a free but he doesn’t offer that much more than we already have.

I’d have him as a squad player over the likes of obertan or jonas as he has is a solid performer and doesn’t take up a over seas squad place.

But I wouldn’t want him to be a regular for us.

• toonincheek

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Sage –

I think it makes sense to loan young players fist to a team from lower leagues.
    They can learn there, including learning how to dominate.
    Then, they can move up a bit.

Throwing them in too deep too early can lead to a loss of confidence. And even a place on the bench.

What we need, apart from skill and commitment, is players playing regularly and learning to have confidence in their abilities.

Disappointed to see Good was only on the bench over the weekend.

• Ian Toon

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Transfer- He is versatile and improving. He could well lose his place when Lallana is fully fit but has had an excellent season at the Saints. I share your thoughts on Obertan and for me he is on borrowed time.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM

toonincheek

Thats my problem though…our kids on loan are around 19-21….it makes it more important to get regular football at a good level.

Playing every week in the SPL can only teach so much, they need to be playing in the championship at least really.

the problem is out kids don’t seem good enough to get a spot on championship which isn’t great.

I’d like to seem sammy, fergie and campbell in the championship and I believe they are good enough.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM

ian

I want to like obertan but he doesn’t even seem to do the basics like run at players…he does it sometimes but nowhere near enough.

Hopefully something will click one day but i’m not holding my breath.

• Markaccus

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM

@sage.

I’m sorry, that’s just not good enough! Dress yourself as a model and report to Oscar Pistorius immediately. You must be shot in the face!

• Ian Toon

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM

bollance- if nothing else we’ve got a blog wide debate going, on the need for academy players and new signings to go out on loan at an earlier age. It does take time but you have to make a start.

• chris_g

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM

The Boy // Feb 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM

————————————

The home grown rule only applies to players aged 21 or over (ie the ones who need to be named in the 25 man squad).

He’s still only 19 so it will be a few years before the rule applies to him, but when that time comes he will be counted as home grown.

• Ian Toon

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Transfer- he joined with low self esteem courtesy of Fergie. Blistering pace but lacks a football brain.

• Phatoon

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I’d like to see Obertan brought on to play with Gouffran in the later stages of a game (especially if we are ahead). I think the two of them could cause havoc on the break with all that pace.

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Ian

It gets to a stage though where obertan can’t keep blaming fergie or man utd for his own failings.

He was poor at utd, he had limited chances but he never took them, he was playing with top players so he would have had more time and options so he has to look at himself too.

I don’t think he lacks confidence too much for us, it’s simply he doesn’t go past people often enough as he cannot do it consistently.

Hopefully he gets better and shows to be a good buy but I really can’t see it.

However as long as he is hear and giving it his all he has my backing….even if he is poor its not his fault he is selected and if he tries thats all you can ask of a player.

• magpietillidie

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Obertan is quick and thats all he,s got. we have no good wingers that get down the line and put good crossess in. we have benny but he is left footed on the right side so if we attack with pace both wingers on each side have to cut back to put a decent cross in. We need someone who can cross when running at pace that would give us a diffrent in attack

• tooninspain

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Hiding behind the bathroom door in Pistorius’s house is too good for JailforAshley.

• yo-yo

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM

magpie @33

Oba delivers better than Jonas that’s for sure. He has got a few assists though – agree he is not consistently good at final delivery mind – but a couple of guys on the edge of the box or 6yd line and he’ll have a decent target.

• Ian Toon

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Transfer– How about Obertan as a through the middle striker playing on the last defender. Maximising his pace like a Theo Wacott. He came on late on against Blackburn away and scored by just out stripping their defence.. My concern with him is that he plays with his head down and lacks natural movement . He seems incapable of running and centring on the move. He is not a fluid mover and would benefit from spending a lot of time with our fitness coach.

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Ian

It’s a possibility but I think gouffran is a pacey player and naturally a forward so he would be ahead obertan for that position.

With santon at left back obertan should be playing from the left with a lot of license to drift inside and have santon provide width some of the time.

• Ian Toon

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Transfer- In any event there is going to be one hell of a shake up of those under performing youngsters. The Europa provided the perfect opportunity to display burgeoning skills but few have advanced their
    standing. In fact Bigirimana is one of few and his route via the experience of a year in the Championship is the way to go.

• magpietillidie

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM

YO YO both are dier crossers of the ball for me jonas only plays for his defending and obertan is quick with very little end product we need a winger who can beat a man on the outside then just whip it in with pace

• robin

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM

NUFC, need a quality manager who knows how to develop these young players. Pardew is not up to the standard required for a big club like NUFC, he paid 7million for Mbwia and plays him out of position,rather than drop Colocini, who wants to leave the club, he also paid 6 million for Anita, who cannot get a game ahead of Jonas, Pardew is useless it will not take the French players long to suss him out then they will move on as they only use NUFC as a foot in the door into the Premier league.