The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Ba – Newcastle Could Be One Of The Best Clubs In The World

5:39 pm, Tuesday, February 19th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 112 Comments

Our former striker Demba Ba has been interviewed in the French media today and his statement is quite revealing because of a number of things he says.

demba ba - broken nose

Demba Ba – suffered a bad broken nose at St. James’ Park

Here’s what Demba Ba old French radio station RMC:

“I’m not really made to play in the French league,” “I was surprised by the arrival of all the French players at Newcastle, but this is due to the coach.”

“Alan Pardew greatly appreciates the quality of French football and the mentality of their players.” “When they are fully integrated into the style of the Premier League, Newcastle could be one of the best clubs in the world.”

It’s revealing what Demba says about Alan Pardew liking French players, and we must admit that the French players Newcastle have signed this year are not only very good players – but they seem to be 100% committed to Newcastle United – and some of their interviews have been excellent, and they have praised the club and the fans to the hilt.

And of course the reason I put this article out is because of what our former number 19 says in that last sentence – “Newcastle could be one of the best clubs in the world.”

At this moment we’d be happy enough if we became one of the best clubs in England – but we know Demba Ba knows a lot about football – so obviously what he says is usually extremely accurate. :D

Now here’s the question – if we do become one of the best clubs in the world – would Demba Ba want to come back to Tyneside?

If that happened we have to think the answer would be yes – because he’s probably finding out that the Newcastle fans’ passion for football is hardly replicated at Chelsea – however good they are as a team.

And the Newcastle fans just loved Demba Ba – fact!

You live and learn.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Demba Ba · Newcastle News · Premier League

112 responses so far ↓

• 1 89Norcal // Feb 19, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Have to say Ba has been sportsman and courteous like since he’s left Newcastle. The guy had his face smashed in on his return match (did Colo eve check on him or say sorry? :lol:).

• 2 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 19, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Who is this guy? Looks in a lot of pain in that picture…

• 3 IITianToon // Feb 19, 2013 at 5:48 PM

its BA-tman :))

• 4 Super Magpie // Feb 19, 2013 at 5:48 PM

££££££££££

• 5 IITianToon // Feb 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Was it cahill who took the piss out of Ba in the game that day.. Poor guy just came back with his nose patched up and Cahill hoofs one to him for him to challenge for a header.. LOL moment of that game.

• 6 89Norcal // Feb 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I remember when Chelsea fans used to “ba” like sheep at Demba, now they have a list of songs for him lol

But by the time we’re at the top again he’ll have already passed that age barrier for new signings. We’re not Man U :)

• 7 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Great words and ones that I do agree with.

• 8 Super Magpie // Feb 19, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Norcal

I also wondered that too. Colo didn’t intentionally mean to break his nose, or did he? ;)
    Even though it was accidental I would imagine he apologised. I would be ashamed of Colo if he didn’t.

• 9 Tsunki // Feb 19, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Well done Ed – you escaped having a demba ba popularity poll by adding FACT at the end. Bravo!

If we did become one of the best teams in the world, we’d probably be hiring slightly further up the ladder Demba, but we’ll let you know when the time comes.

• 10 Tsunki // Feb 19, 2013 at 5:55 PM

..As we would be in the Andy Carroll type market that is…….. :)

• 11 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Tsunki…I have a naughty seat with your name on it…trying to disturb the peace…tut tut :)

• 12 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I see my naughty chair has scared you all off. Oh alright, I’ll give you all one chance.

• 13 ITUNDERASHELL // Feb 19, 2013 at 6:17 PM

l literally have dreams in which PEA, Gouffran, Cisse, Sissoko, Debuchy, Ben Arfa and Cabaye rip Man U and the premiership to shreds next season.
    With Pardue getting a cheers from the Toon fans when he lifts a trophy at Wembley.

• 14 Tsunki // Feb 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Aha! Drop Mbiwa he will never shape up. Put willo and simmo in against kharkiv and if nobody dies, put them in the southampton lineup instead of Debs and Colo. Gouffran is useless, sammi should go in. Pardew needs a 20 year contract to stop Real from grabbing our tactical genius. We should buy a list of players totalling £100m (pdf supplied later) and to fund it we should offload everyone in the reserves and academy except Abeid as he is lost in Scottishland and I love him. We should have £200m left over to buy Paul Scharner and some spangles. Man U are not good enough to lift the johnstones paint trophy. Shola is the fastest player on earth. Catchy is the blog moderator. Ed is the alter ego of Bob/billy/ted/Alf/Robin. My time is up – is it the bottom step I sit on?

• 15 Tsunki // Feb 19, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Itunderashell – I believe those are called fantasies. Fantasies. :)

• 16 toonicle // Feb 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Wonder if he’s regretting his decision now that he sees the quality we brought in last month?

• 17 ITUNDERASHELL // Feb 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Fantasies keep me going mate. One day! One day!

• 18 IITianToon // Feb 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM

TIOTE… Can someone explain what has happened to him? He never lacks confidence the fella.. but then.. why is he not focussed? Puzzling. Poor tackles, poor passes. I would love Anita to start against Southampton.

• 19 IITianToon // Feb 19, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Also guys I think I need psychological counselling post Newcastle games. I sometimes get so depressed after a poor result that I fear I am spoiling my heatlh too.
    To the oldies on this blog (not Ed.. he is a teen going by his enthusiasm) .. how do you manage to have a long life whilst being a Toon supporter. I get the feeling my life expectancy drops by a week everytime the Toon disappoints :(

• 20 ITUNDERASHELL // Feb 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM

l bet Tiote is very focused now. He will have to be to stay in this team!

• 21 toonicle // Feb 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Not sure what’s going on with Tiote either, maybe letting him walk right back into the team after AFCON wasn’t the best idea, let him sit on the bench and watch Anita play a game or two, maybe it would help.

• 22 89Norcal // Feb 19, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Tiote is a great asset on form, but he never seemed like the type to really focus 100% in tough times. It’s like his discipline issues and temper just snowball when things aren’t going so well.

He could do with some rotation in the squad. Against Southampton we should be just fine using Anita there, though I wonder if Perch will play again.

• 23 yo-yo // Feb 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Tsunki

NO you are firmly on the naughty step after mocking our mascot and our chief naysayer

• 24 yo-yo // Feb 19, 2013 at 6:55 PM

toonicle

Ba = wonga hunter
    Ba’s agents = wonga wonga hunters

so the answer is no – he doesn’t suit Ligue 1 style

• 25 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 19, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Tsunki…Now you’re just attention seeking.

yo-yo….Chief naysyer…would that be me?

• 26 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 19, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Looking forward to seeing Bayern spank the Gooners tonight :)

• 27 yo-yo // Feb 19, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Ibiza

No you’re chief fence sitter
    Catchy is chief naysayer

• 28 cyprus // Feb 19, 2013 at 7:41 PM

He always seemed a gentleman. Best of luck in your new team, Ba.

• 29 cyprus // Feb 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM

And apologies about that game. Our future was (is) on the line, you understand!

• 30 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 19, 2013 at 7:56 PM

yo-yo…As long as I’m chief of something then I’m happy. It doesn’t take a lot apparently.

• 31 yo-yo // Feb 19, 2013 at 8:07 PM

BPC

0-2 yer getting yer own way again

• 32 toonicle // Feb 19, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Yo- I’d put more blame on his agents than him personally. But your point is still valid.

• 33 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM

@ Yo

Payback for them putting 7 past us ;) . Bayern are nearly as good in real life aa they are on Fifa :)

• 34 Magpies-till-d3ath // Feb 19, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Right lads! Here’s how next season will play out. The fixtures will be released and we’ll get Liverpool away first, followed by City at home then another away game at Swansea. In the first game Pardew goes with Sissoko and Cabaye in the holding roles, Benny in the no. 10 role where he should be with Gouffy and our new signing PEA on the wings. We go on to beat them 3-1 after falling behind thanks to goals from Cisse, PEA and a Yohan Cabaye wonder free-kick from 40 yards! Against City we win 2-0 and then beat Swansea 6-1. Pundits say it’s only a matter of time before the bubble bursts. However, after 20 games, we sit top of the table by 2 points above City in 2nd, Chelsea in 3rd and Utd in 4th. Liverpool are in the relegation zone! After losing back to back matches against Utd and Stoke, we fall to 3rd. Five games later, we are on a five game winning streak and in that time PEA, Gouffy and Cisse get 25 goals between them. We win the F.A cup after beating Chelsea on penalties when Torres misses the deciding spot-kick! After mathmatically qualifying for the CL, Pardew declares that we’ll give everything to win the title. Our last game arrives and the title race is still in the balance between FOUR teams. Us, Chelsea, Utd and City. The special thing is We’re playing Utd and Chelsea face City. St James’ Park is bouncing and a win for us and anything but a win for City means we win the title. After 80mins we are being held by Utd 1-1 and City are beating Chelsea 3-2. In the dying minutes, 88th to be exact, Benny runs the pitch and scores another terrific goal and it’s 2-1! The winner of the golden boot is Papiss Cisse with 30 goals, closely followed by PEA(27) and Gouffy (23). RVP gets 2. The nation comes to a stand-still when Chelsea are awarded a penalty in the final seconds and a certain Demba Ba steps up and tucks it past the keeper and in off the post!!!! He then does the most unimaginable thing……… he lifts up his shirt and the words “TOON ARMY” are shown to the footballing world!!!!

I thought of that all off the top of my head, it was REALLY fun, anyone else got any dreams? Go for it!!!!!!!!

• 35 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 19, 2013 at 8:39 PM

@ magpies

I have two questions.

1. What halucinagenic substance have you been smoking.

2. Were can I buy some :)

• 36 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 19, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Magpies….Fancy writing one of those a day for the blog? Fantastic read.

Wait a minute…..is that what happened next season whilst playing Fifa?? :)

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one”

• 37 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 19, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Big Pappa….Money is a bit tight, wanna go halves?

• 38 check the toastie // Feb 19, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I once had a dream about Newcastle having a better squad than Arsenal. And today i have just realised that dream has come true. :) Mertesacker makes Willo look good, Arsshole Wengele has lost the plot, shadow of the side they were.

I also have dreams were i am walking along a promenade by the sea and it keeps dragging me in and i cant escape, like im going to die drowning, those dreams stopped after Simpson was dropped from the first team squad. Dont know what the relevance of that is.

• 39 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 19, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Check…That’s odd, I too have had dreams about you walking down a promenade by the sea and it keeps dragging you in and you can’t escape…sorry, only playing, really couldn’t resist.

Aren’t Arsenal making you proud to be British right about now? No? :)

• 40 check the toastie // Feb 19, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Magpies – did you realise it was a dream when Jonas wasnt involved. In all that detailed dream and all them goals did Jonas still only assist in one of the goals?

• 41 northernirishtoon // Feb 19, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Magpie

Lol

Sack Ed and you write for the blog from now on please

• 42 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM

@ ibiza

Can do m8 :) . Imagine if there was a drug that gave football fantasy visions.

• 43 check the toastie // Feb 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Ibiza – you have shown your true nasty colours yet again, to wish death on a fellow Toon fan and good blog buddy, shocking. What would Ruddy say? :)

• 44 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 19, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Check…I’m not sure what he would say, but I guess it would be well thought out and long winded ;)

Big Pappa….I’ve been reading this blog a couple of years now and I don’t think such a drug is needed.

• 45 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 19, 2013 at 8:55 PM

and I don’t have nasty colours…just purple!

• 46 check the toastie // Feb 19, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I am a miserable whinging tw#t mind you, however, i do believe i have a point most of the time. And slowly but surely all my prophecies are coming true,

Who scoffed at Simmo in the Championship, wont be long now, blog protectors.

• 47 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I have a re-occuring dream and it consists of Gutierrez performing sexual acts on Pardew :) . I wonder what the significance is ;)

• 48 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Check…I wouldn’t have you any other way. Well, I suppose you could always….

I don’t think anyone really is arguing that you’re completely wrong with your opinions, it’s just some times (not all the time, but occasionally) there needs to be some middle ground. Simmo isn’t great, but he isn’t the worst ever player in the world which at times you seem to make out.

Anyway…Wenger! Wenger! Wenger! What that guy needs is an 8 year contract…

• 49 yo-yo // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Hey guys QUICK sack Pardew and get that adventurous, class motivator we all wanted (well some anyway)… Di Canio is now available and he will be cheep !

• 50 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:00 PM

@ check

Championship ? . He might even be out of his depth there :) . I reckon he will be a backing dancer for Tulisa before long ;) .

• 51 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Big Pappa…I’m not touching that one. I hope you have a happy life :)

• 52 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:02 PM

yo-yo…You might be on to something there…sacking Pardew…why has no one thought about this before?

Quick people of the blog, let’s put our heads together…tonight we make history!

• 53 yo-yo // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM

No Ibiza

Di Canio really really did resign from Swindon and said he wanted to go to an ambitious club where he got the players he was promised.

Sounds like Mashley to me – loads of guys on here wanted Di Canio a month ago and they must be right…. mustn’t they ?

• 54 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Yo-Yo….Yes I remember reading that. I will say the guy is passionate which is great. Apart from that, simply no.

On the they must be right, was there a poll? Whatever the poll said is right, obviously.

• 55 check the toastie // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM

yoyo – Di Canio is from the same stamp as Poyet, media whores and wrapped up in themselves, for all i am not Parsnips biggest fan, them boys are not the answer, give Pardew his dues, he keeps a nice steady ship, not much geordie aggro going on with the squad nowadays. Gone are the days of Souness beating players up, or dalglish just selling every talented player at the club.

I am not daft enough to think we couldnt have a lot worse, Pardew deserves the rest of the season for sure, just wish he would go for it in games, need to go a goal in front in a game and then go for the jugular instead of him instructing everybody to sit in as soon as we have the game by the scruff. He’s a funny one old Pardope.

Need to press high up the pitch a bit more and impose ourselves.

• 56 yo-yo // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:11 PM

It was the usual suspects had Di Canio on their wishlists. And, as if by magic, here he is available to fulfill their dreams ..

• 57 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Check…I caught the last 10 minutes of the Oldham vs Everton game and was really impressed with Oldhams effort at the latter stages (can’t comment on the whole game). Certainly is lacking in our current team and this is something I’d love Pardew to implement…especially in cup games when it’s win or lose. Playing defensive is one thing when you have something to defend, but sometimes you have just have to throw yourself into something and hope for the best…hey, it’s what us fans do year in year out.

• 58 Graeme // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Magpies – awesome mate. You mean it may not be reality though??

• 59 check the toastie // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Mind you i like Zola, done a great job at Watford, they score a boat load of goals and havent spent a penny, play some great stuff, would be more than willing to give him the job, if Pardew doesnt show some intent to have a go with this current squad by the end of the year.

Only down side to Zola is he’s friendly with Dennis Wise, that points to a serious character flaw.

• 60 yo-yo // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Check

Who did Souness take a pop at then ?

• 61 check the toastie // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Ibiza – yep, just dont see enough gung ho stuff for my liking, he who dares wins and all that. Always seems far to cautious, in team selections and also tactics during games, seen it all to frequently under his stewardship.

No excuses now, we have some world class players to pick from.

• 62 check the toastie // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:23 PM

yo yo – forever beating Bellamy up, they reckon, dont think he was overly keen on Dyer either, shame about Bellamy, his relationship with Souness made him leave the club.

Souness brought in to install some discipline as SBR had ‘lost’ the dressing room, and his only way of doing it was showing those talented players the door. Great Management eh, and dont even mention The Boumsong Saga???

• 63 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Check…Definitely agree he should be given some time, as even though the excuses can get a bit tiresome, many of them have reason behind them. He now has the players that we’re needed, injuries are a lot more in line with other teams in the PL. Let’s see what happens.

Anyway, it’s all getting a bit too friendly on here so I will bid thee goodnight. Perhaps tonight I’ll throw you an inflatable from the side of the promenade :)

Later lads.

• 64 yo-yo // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I think occasional caution is probably his major weakness – partly due to his desire to win rather than play well (sure he’s said that too).
    I think he as well as the team lost a lot of confidence during the bad run and that made the cautiousness worse.

We really do need to be able to play 88th-98th minute at high tempo without losing shape.

• 65 check the toastie // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Going to bed, early start. Night night, it has been pretty civilised, a nice change. all the best. Fingers crossed for Anita ever pulling the black and white shirt on again eh…….

• 66 yo-yo // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Check

I heard that the ‘losing the dressing room’ rumour about SBR was put about by a number of players and wasn’t actually true

• 67 check the toastie // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Who knows yo-yo who knows, there was some serious wa#kers in that dressing room mind you, sure Carver and Harper could tell a tale or two.

• 68 croftus5678 // Feb 19, 2013 at 9:38 PM

i will not have this club pretend we have supported ba in his time here because its rubbish !

i heard day after day about him being greedy/ no good for the club and that cisse will flourish without him in the team !

if we treat our players better and realise what we have before we call for there heads as thats something us the fans got wrong and we need to learn from.

shola is c**p though :-)

a striker or 2 in the summer and looking at top 6 guys !
    just worried about the 8hgp i think we are 3 short of a great squad.

• 69 county down magpie // Feb 19, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Gotta love this blog!! No games and the natives go postal! We’ve got mystic magpie and his visions of a wondrous future, ibiza wishing the sea would swallow up a fellow Blogger, big poppa cisse on the lookout for mind bending substances and all the while kets is harbouring altogether unusual feelings for scharner…..

Makes me proud to be part of the toon army

HWTL

• 70 Tsunki // Feb 19, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Dont forget Ketsys unrequited love of Mehdi Abeid.

I actually felt a bit sorry for arsenal, it reminded me of our lot at their hands recently. On second thoughts no ha ha ha ha .

BPC @47 – That thing you talk about there would be a nightmare. Night-mare.

You people are hopeless, you really are.

Now my dream starts with a tumbler of tepid pork fat, a plastic spoon and an unopened kula shaker cd………..

• 71 jayphoto // Feb 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Mehdi Abeid best player on the park today for St Johnstone against Celtic!

• 72 Yorkgeordie // Feb 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM

The translation I saw a few days ago said ‘the French team are one of the best in the world’ meaning the national team.

• 73 Tsunki // Feb 19, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Actually in all seriousness it appears Abeid has been virtually running the show on loan. Makes you wonder what is holding him back here.

• 74 jayphoto // Feb 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Massive difference in the standard of opposition! Some players find it easier to be a good player in a bad team, saints players look for him every time they get the ball, almost giving him no choice but to be in the game whereas at newcastle young players struggle to get a hold of games, too much pressure and too many quality players that sometimes allow a young player to get lost in a game as players like cabaye will do twice the running etc

• 75 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 19, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Totally off topic, but what a player I noticed in that Wiltshire tonight for Arsenal

First time i’v watched another game for 90 mins other than NUFC for over 2 years probably.

Dear me, now that is a proper number 10. His energy levels to drive the team on was unbelievable.

Made me realise, as much as I love Ben Arfa and the way he operates, you won’t find a better accomplished no10 than this boy in the prem at that age. And by the time he gets to bennys age there will be no comparison.

Bennys comments were quite correct this week with a little more drive and maturity he should of been alot better than what he is right now.

I will admit though, we do need him right now.

• 76 jimmysmith // Feb 20, 2013 at 12:03 AM

“the Newcastle fans just loved Demba Ba – fact!”

Bit of a stretch – fact!

• 77 jimmysmith // Feb 20, 2013 at 12:08 AM

The times I’ve seen Abeid play he’s looked every inch a proper player, although someting is clearly amiss, hence the loan spell at alloa athletic or whatever godforsaken scots hellhole he’s been banished to.

• 78 Mister Tuff // Feb 20, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Aubameyang scoring against Montpellier. Cross comes in and he back heels it into the net. Classy finish.

• 79 yorkshire_magpie // Feb 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I’ve always said abeid is top player. Now he is showing that he is too good for the scottish league. I think this loan spell will help him alot and soon he will be playing for us.

• 80 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 20, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Demba was a snake, and he still is a snake.

Uhmm,

I’ll just give it a few months in at chelsea and I’ll start bigging up NUFC. They should then forget about the way I treated the club, fan base with my misdirecting tweets to keep them onside all the time I had my agents finding something better.

And also, the way I really couldn’t bare being out on the front left, nevermind the team or the way we were performing? I need to be in the shop window and getting goals so I can leave you all well behind.

I hope you enjoy the riches you got out of it Demba. Unlucky with the choice you picked.

• 81 Corny74 // Feb 20, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Collo has nothing to be ashamed of. Say sorry post match. We are in a relegation scrap show no mercy, Great Captain. And unlike Ba, when Collo leaves, for whatever reason, He will have my blessing.

• 82 chris_g // Feb 20, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Yorkgeordie // Feb 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM

———————————————

I think you’re right. My schoolboy French is a bit rusty, but it’s pretty obvious that Ba’s comments have been completely mis-translated. This is what it says on the RMC website:

« J’ai toujours essayé de jouer en L1 et ça n’a jamais marché. Quand je quitte Newcastle, toute la L1 vient ici, s’amuse le Sénégalais. Je crois que je ne suis pas fait pour la L1. Pardew aime bien la mentalité des Français. Financièrement, ils y trouvent leur compte. La formation française est l’une des meilleures nations au monde. »

This is how I think it should have been translated:

“J’ai toujours essayé de jouer en L1 et ça n’a jamais marché”
    = I’ve always tried to play in L1 and it never worked.

“Quand je quitte Newcastle, toute la L1 vient ici, s’amuse le Sénégalais”
    = When I left Newcastle, all L1 comes here, joked the Senegalese

“Je crois que je ne suis pas fait pour la L1. Pardew aime bien la mentalité des Français”
    = I think I’m not cut out for the L1. Pardew likes the mentality of the French.

“Financièrement, ils y trouvent leur compte”
    = Financially, they get value for money.

“La formation française est l’une des meilleures nations au monde”
    = French training is among the best in the world

There’s absolutely nothing in there about Newcastle becoming one of the best clubs in the world. It’s just another total bullshit story which was started by Talksport and simply copied and pasted by Ed Harrison, who couldn’t be bothered to do any homework before rushing to post this article.

• 83 Jail for Ashley // Feb 20, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Chris g,
    I’m sure Ed Harrison has got much better things to do with his time than research the validity of every article that he sees from a major news source, if you feel so strongly about it you could always go on a hunger strike or something like that.

• 84 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 20, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Morning lads!

…long time no see. Looking forward to the match tomorrow – maybe I’ll be on later today :-)

See ya!

• 85 check the toastie // Feb 20, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Chris G hates Ed. Fact.

• 86 Ian Toon // Feb 20, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Jesper- good morning and welcome back. Watching the Arsenal game made me realise the dangers of selling your better players and replacing them with an inferior model. If we are following the Arsenal blue print development we need to take note of what will happen.

• 87 Transfer Sage // Feb 20, 2013 at 7:28 AM

chris G is just a moron…only pops up when he can criticise something Ed has done….never inputs anything positive…should really just stick to reading other sites.

• 88 Transfer Sage // Feb 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Ian

We do need to be careful….but arsenal’s problem is deeper than selling players.

They have a wage cap of around 100k if you believe the papers….however they pay players like squilacci and the rest of their lesser players wages around 50k a week. This takes up a lot of money they could be using to pay RVP to stay or offering to other’s they have lost or even spending it on signing good players.

Look at Barca…perfect example….train most players in the academy but if they can’t get them from within they go out and buy the right players they need…sanchez, villa, eto’o, etc….this is where arsenal fail.

We need to make sure that we continually strengthen year on year…that way those players see we are showing the ambition they want to see….obviously if we have a genuine world class player we will be open to losing him as there are only maybe 4/5 teams in europe that you’d class as the pinnacle so we are always vulnerable to them but we need to make sure we are as attractive as teams like spurs so we don’t lose players to that level.

• 89 check the toastie // Feb 20, 2013 at 7:39 AM

I believe that Wenger is a brilliant coach, knows how he wants his team to play and knows how to get them playing that way, however slowly but surely his monopoly on unearthing gems from the French league and Africa has been broken.

Arsenal now seem to have lost there way in the transfer market, whether they have lost decent scouts or just taken there eye off the ball, but they have signed some right plums lately, Santos, Mertesacker, Gervinho and a few more. Think their recruitment is were the problem lies, Wenger must be gutted at some of the players we have nabbed over the last 12 months, all capable of playing for Arsenal.

• 90 Transfer Sage // Feb 20, 2013 at 7:52 AM

check

That is a big problem….they still play very nice stuff, not as nice as in recent years mind, with some players who are good but not that special.

They have become very hit and miss….5 years ago they wouldn’t have touched gervinho and he wouldn’t be anywhere near their bench.

It’s strange to see what has happened…they spend a lot more than us but haven’t done well.

Imagine if they have mbiwa instead of mertesacker, cabaye instead of ramsey, ben arfa instead of gervinho….they would have saved money and be in such a stronger position.

I’m glad they haven’t gotten them but it just shows how much they have slipped…..a few years ago arsenal would never have missed cabaye for 4mil but they seem to be buying average players for a highish fee now.

• 91 Ian Toon // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Transfer- Good morning. You pretty much cover all the bases. You do need to regularly clear the wage bill of those players who are not making a worthwhile contribution at various stages of development. This also gives opportunities to prospective talent at an earlier age and enables sales at the squad level over time.

• 92 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Good morning,

Does no one else think Chris G is just Ed’s alter ego? Surely no one else would take their time to consistently try and find fault…

Jesper…Advertising a possible return, who are you? Beatrice? :)

Check…Morning sunshine….the waters were calm last night.

Arsenal…Not really sure their policy is that bad to be honest or should I say they’re scouting. Maybe not the best, but pretty decent. Issue always seems to be players take a while to realise their potential and jump ship before it clicks for Arsenal (Stand up and take a bow Nasri and RVP).

Can’t argue with consistency though…now that sounds familiar.

I agree with Check that Wenger is a good coach. Many people on here have said that they wouldn’t mind losing if we “played the beautiful game of football”, well isn’t that exactly what he does? Funny, it seems that isn’t enough at all and eventually offers little consolation for an under performing team as far as results go.

Mind, they have started paying what I see as over the odds for players recently…fan pressure perhaps?

• 93 Ian Toon // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Ibiza- Good morning and welcome back. Your seat was getting cold.
    Transfer policy at Arsenal does seem to be down to Wenger. You make a good point on fan pressure to buy.

• 94 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Ian…A good morning to you also. Couldn’t you have kept it warm for me? ;)

As I said before, in theory, I don’t have a problem with their transfer policy, in fact I do quite admire it. But they do seem to have resorted to panic buys of late. It’s a messy old business and to get the balance right is key. We’re in our infancy as far as this transfer scheme goes, hopefully our board and team keep going and find a way to make it ultimately provide sustained success for the club as i’d love nothing more for a team to be able to compete with the big boys and set an example to the footballing world that it doesn’t just need to be a case of throwing enough money out there. Dreaming again? Coffee for Ibizatoon.

• 95 TorqToon // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Good morning gents.

Sorry I’ve been away a while. Had to squeeze a little work into my keyring flashing and scouting trips ! :-)

How are we all? Feeling positive about Thursday night? I know I am!

• 96 Transfer Sage // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I’m not sure whats happened there to be honest…..does the manager make the final decision on signing…he says he spends within his means, chairman says he wont spend….but what manager in their right mind would go out and spend 10mil on gervinho if the board are saying you have 20mil to sign a real forward?

I’m not sure everything is clear and I think Wenger has a lot of respect for arsenal as a club and the fans and isn’t really telling the truth. I don’t think he wants to badmouth the owners and board but i do believe those are at fault….he always bought well with david dein….now he hasn’t got that support of him he is struggling to buy but still coaching and developing very well.

I know fans wants to win things but if we were like arsenal, regular in the top 4, playing nice football and getting the odd trip to wembley I’d be delighted.

A trophy would be very nice but that jubilation doesn’t last for ever and leaves you wanting more….look at what the chelsea fans have become…demanding trophies every year, turning that way at city now too.

There are only 3 domestic and 1 european trophy to compete for so it’s impossible for all the big spending teams to win something every year.

• 97 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Torq…As always, I am optimistic about Thursday, I don’t know another way to be.

TS…So what you’re saying is that Newcastle lowers our expectations so that we don’t have to suffer winning a trophy and then wanting more? :) Are you angling for a job at the club?

I agree on what you’ve said there, something is amiss at the club and it’s likely to be the changes upstairs rather than Wenger himself. I’d be delighted with constant top 4 and decent cup runs as a standard, but no doubt that wouldn’t satisfy the masses for long.

• 98 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Ibiza…the prophet has returned ;) No just kidding lol

…I never really left (took a time out) It just so happened life was busy as well!

Have you kept it clean and civil while I was “gone”?

• 99 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Morning to U2 Ian!

…hope everything is great mate?

• 100 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Jesper…I know the feeling mate. Getting rather busy my end too. Isn’t that a sign of getting old when months seem to pass you by like days?

Time to get some slippers and a pipe.

Clean and civil is how I roll.

• 101 Transfer Sage // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Ibiza

Thats the problem with people in general….no matter what we have we nearly always want more…whether its success, money, women, cars, houses, etc…there is always somebody with more or something better no matter what level you are at and people ultimately want it.

So we might want european football but after a few years it will be champions league, then it will be winning the league, etc…..very rarely do people settle for what they have and have no envy for others.

It’s what drives us on and has made us become what we are today…we could have lived in the wild but we wanted shelter, caves, then mud huts, then wooden huts, houses, etc…same with every aspect of our lives….

….in that case why should football be different…..i say league title or pardew out (haha, just kidding, i almost convinced myself thats what we needed there).

• 102 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Ibiza…you are still young my good friend ;)

…plus the sunshine and all the bikini girls keeps you at your game lol

• 103 mindshaft // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Think Wengers problem is that he when players finally click they bugger off to better teams barca, Man U or follow the money as in Nasris case. A lot of Arsenal fans were demanding Wengers bought in quality rather than scout and he duly went out and bought podolski, mertesaker, arteta etc none of which have really clicked – fans got what they wanted and now moaning like fuck – hahaha
    On another note
    Ticket for arsenal game last night 96 quid
    Season ticket for Bayern 94 quid

• 104 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:53 AM

TS…Not questioning peoples ambition, as you say it is a vital element of humans progress, but I think your point about envy really hits the nail on the head. I want to reach the top, as most people do, but I also like to remain realistic and enjoy the ride to the top….it doesn’t happen overnight if it’s done properly.

Jesper…You are too kind….mmm….bikini girls…now there’s an advantage to time passing quicker…summer will be back soon ;)

• 105 puli // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Hi! Could some of you give me an advice? Trying to book tickets to NUFC game first time. Is there clear view to pitch from Milburn Stand L1H row DD ? Didn’t find exact seating view anywhere..

Thanks!

• 106 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Hi Puli, sorry can’t help with that at all. Which game are you going to see?

• 107 Transfer Sage // Feb 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Puli

I think every seek has a good view to the pitch really, there is nothing to block the view so should be fine anywhere.

Enjoy the game.

• 108 Novocastrian66 // Feb 20, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I just want a trophy before I die. The fact we’ve won nowt in 40 odd years is a joke. Even the makems and the smoggies have managed to win something.
    The FA cup would do nicely. Truth be known I’ve given up on us winning anything. We always find a way of ballsing everything up.
    Blind devotion is our bond. I love the way people with no link to the region support Newcastle and share the pain and take pride in following our club. As I have said before there are no fair weather Toon fans.
    Fact of the matter is no other club in the world which has won nothing for years has such loyal fans. What is more, if Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, dare I say Barcelona and Real Madrid had been fed the pathetic scraps we have had they would not attract anywhere near our level of support.

• 109 Transfer Sage // Feb 20, 2013 at 9:27 AM

novo

I don’t mind about a trophy…its nice and would be welcome but nothingto get worried about.

Especially now where you have the trophies shared between the same 4/5 clubs about 90% of the time.

• 110 Yorkgeordie // Feb 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Puli
    L1H is right at the front (lowest level) near to the Leazes end (stand). View is uninterrupted, get much closer to the field and you might get a game !!

• 111 brian kilclines pony tail // Feb 20, 2013 at 9:55 AM

@check – you misguided fool.
    when dalglish took over newcastle it was immediately after a certain ‘if you dont buy this player im quitting’ keegan.
    newcastle were completely skint, alan shearers transfer being the main reason for this.
    he had no choice but to sell the players because all of keegans signings were bought through loans from the bank which started this whole £100 million debt that we got in – thanks kev!
    if dalglish hadnt of sold the players we may not even have a club to support today.
    you sir are either uneducated on the subject or you have a severe mental health issues with your memory.
    and when did souness fight with his players?
    by the looks of it you made the majority of that post up.

• 112 toonincheek // Feb 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM

You always have to want a bit more than you have – and work hard to get it – in life and in football.

But you also have to see how lucky you are to have what you have.

Let’s remember – not so long ago, we were fearing a meltdown and all we wanted was promotion to the PL.

previous post: Newcastle After Polish International Midfielder?

next post: Young Magpie Proud To Be Part Of Newcastle United