The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Could Surprise Us In The Ukraine

11:13 am, Tuesday, February 19th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 38 Comments

Alan Pardew has reflected on last Thursday’s game against Metalist Kharkiv, and if the officials had turned up for the game – especially one particular linesman – Tom Harald Hagen – we should have won the game by at least 2-0 – since that Norwegian linesman chalked off two good Newcastle goals from Cisse for offside.

papiss cisse metalist kharkiv

Papiss Cisse – oh no I wasn’t offside!

Pardew has talked to the local papers about the game:

“We have the clean sheet to take over there.” “A score draw will take us through.” “So there is some benefit in that, but I would have liked to win the game last week.”

“I think the boos for the officials at the end of the game was how we all felt.” “In these ties that could be a big difference.” “I was incensed. We scored two absolutely onside goals.”

“I’ll take that the linesman might get one wrong, but two? Wow. That was a big blow.” “We didn’t do too much wrong on the night.” “It was as good as we played and against a very strong side.”

“I was really pleased with the performance, but in games like that you can’t get key decisions like that wrong. Certainly not two.”

It’s right that Newcastle didn’t do too much wrong in that game, and we were simply unlucky – but to be so unlucky in what was a very important game, is hard to take.

But the good news is it seems the spirit in the squad is even better because of the adversity – and our lads could yet surprise us and Metalist on Thursday evening in the Ukraine – whatever team Alan puts out.

That’s what we’re hoping for,  and with the skill and determination we now have in the side – that’s a definite possibility.

And in our poll 62% think we can get through with 26% thinking we’ll be eliminated – but 90% thought we would win the first leg.

Will Newcastle Advance In Europa League Next Thursday?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News

38 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Morning Transfer,

Aye, you hit the nail on the head, no adequate cover for Jonas. Aswell as no competition up until recently.

Jonas has upped his game lately, goal against Chelsea, played an excellent ball in to Sissoko against spurs. He should of had an assist last thursday aswell if Cisse scored that header in the last minute. Or was that Santon who put that ball in? My memory is fading.

Anyway, he has certaintly done better this past few weeks.

But I’ll be the the first asking questions if he keeps Ben Arfa out or Gouffran for that matter.

• 2 Transfer Sage // Feb 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM

It is hard to say what will happen really.

I think they will attack us much more at home as they need to win which will hopefully leave them open at the back, they were hardly water tight at our place.

I think we have the odds in our favour but it will be a difficult game still and we have to be at it.

I’d like to see 7/8 of the main lads start and try to progress through to the next round. Thats the only way you get used to these competitions, by playing in them.

• 3 Markaccus // Feb 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM

If we’re going to advance, then a strong team is needed. Maybe start a couple of first teamers from the bench but other than that pick same team as last week. Socks and cabs could share a game. Cisse has to play though. He needs that goal. Santon on the bench to cover either full back position, yanga and haidara to start. Leave tiote at home, he’s a liability.

• 4 Transfer Sage // Feb 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM

prodigy

Yeh, there is no real point in worrying about that unless it happens though so as you have, i’m judging pards up to now.

I think he got a few things wrong but nothing drastically wrong, just done a few things different to how i’d have liked but at the same time he was limited with what was available to him.

I’d like pardew to have a good crack at next season too, turning a corner with out style this past few months and improved again with new boys coming in. No sense to sack him just as he is getting better in my opinion.

• 5 reccerobbo // Feb 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Markaccus agree totally, definetly rest santon as he has been a ever present.
    Tiote has been terrible this season so I would start James perch.

• 6 Markaccus // Feb 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM

————Krul
    Yang–tayl–colo–hair
    ——anita—–perch
    Squid—-socks—jonas
    ———–cisse

Cabs on for socks, santon on for a full back, marveaux for squidward

• 7 Markaccus // Feb 19, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Reccer
    He just isn’t the same player we signed, is he. If he gets his mojo back, then he has to play, but he seems so off the pace and distracted at the moment, its unreal. Anita, perch, cabaye and yanga are all more reliable as a CM currently.

• 8 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I always said Pards will be judged from the end of January until the end of the season. The first half of this campaign has been scratched off because of what happened from the summer until now.

You can only judge fairly when he has the adequate tools to do the job he is asked. He now has that and he is well aware.

It’s unfair to ask a small squad to play extra games and reach the heights and performances of last year. Nor can you ask development players so early in their development to go out and beat Premier League opposition.

The squads morale and confidence was pretty much destroyed before we even kicked a ball this season.

• 9 Transfer Sage // Feb 19, 2013 at 11:53 AM

prodigy

I don’t write off the season so far..I think Pardew isn’t blameless for the position we are in.

I think he was severely hampered by our summer dealings and the the injuries to key players but I still think he didn’t get the best out of what he had.

However I see this as step in him learning….hopefully he won’t be in that position again but if he ever is I hope he now knows how to handle it better.

• 10 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Thats where I differ from you Transfer,

I don’t believe we would be any better off in the league regardless of these tactical errors/starting 11 people speak of.

Yes, I agree, I think he has made mistakes, he is not totally blameless. But for me he is not to blame for our league position.

The quality was just not there to utilise for me.

We have never been able to field a solid 1st 11 that had the chance to gain momentum and find rhytmn or any kind of winning formula. Even when we did field are starters when available they were so low on confidence and morale they might aswell of been reserves. Add to that development players added to the mix and it’s a case for disaster. Which it was.

• 11 Transfer Sage // Feb 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM

prodigy

I don’t think a better manager or pardew making different decisions would have seen us top 10 but I think we could have been around the 14th or 13th mark.

The main thing for me was the amount of long balls we played early season even when we had ben arfa and cabaye in the team…it was poor.

We seemed to cut that out and improve a lot in the games leading up to and against man utd and arsenal…seemed to turn a corner and even with a weakened team (no hba or cabs) we still managed to pass the ball a lot better than we had been previously and although results weren’t fantastic we looked more likely to get points.

I think being a bit smarter earlier could have seen us pick up a few more points in games.

However these weren’t drastic errors for me but they were still errors I think.

• 12 toonincheek // Feb 19, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Metalist only need one goal to go through.
    But – if we score just once, they will need two.
    I see a more defensive, cagey approach from Metalist, as they really cannot afford to let one in.

• 13 Transfer Sage // Feb 19, 2013 at 12:30 PM

toonincheek

I think they will be cautious but still a bit more attacking than at st james…..and they left themselves open then.

I’d like to push for an early goal….then counter but it’s easier said than done really.

• 14 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM

It’s always easy to look in hindsight, and then say it was a mistake. Aye, we scored goals away to man u and arsenal. We changed our approach. We also got beat though and were on the end of a good hammering in one of those games.

The truth is it didn’t work. Wern’t strong enough. If we had of won those games I could believe it was worth setting up like that every game but we didn’t and shipped 11 goals. Thats pretty bad. And it cannot continue in that fashion.

There is no guarantee we could beat lesser teams setting up that way. What we did learn from it was that we shipped goals galore. This is not the way you go out to win three points. You have nothing to lose going all out against these teams away, we wern’t expecting anything. Especially with our squad at the time.

Im just glad the confidence and morale is back, we have signed quality players which we should of had in the summer. And our results are improving. I couldn’t really ask for anything else. Everything is looking up to me.

I don’t need a scapegoat for our current position in the league. I know it’s down to a number of factors. But I won’t hold Pardew or a member of the squad accountable until he/they fail with what they should of had and deserved in the summer.

If they did, I have no doubt we would be alot higher up the table right now. Even with these so called “tactical errors/guti starting scapegoats”.

• 15 Transfer Sage // Feb 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM

toon prodigy

That was the mistake by Pardew in my eyes…..we were so cautious and cagey in home games against the likes of swansea and west ham…we let them both play their game and didn’t creat much ourselves, losing both games.

We then went to old trafford and the emirates and attacked and scored but lost.

What we should have done is attacked west ham, swansea, etc and then had the cautious, stifling approach to those bigger games and tried to counter a bit.

That was the mistake, getting it the wrong way round.

Its impossible to say attacking swansea and lesser teams would have gotten more points as we wont know, what I will say though is I think it puts the odds more in our favour if we attack them….especially seeing as our defense was our weakest area when simmo and willo were in every week.

Look at man utd this year….decided to attack more, shipped a lot more goals than city, more than chelsea and spurs too but they are clear 12 points ahead of city.

You win more games by attacking than defending which is where we seem to have gone wrong a lot this year.

• 16 Transfer Sage // Feb 19, 2013 at 12:40 PM

prodigy

I don’t think saying pards should have done better or x, y, z isn’t playing well is using them as a scapegoat.

I genuinely believe they have underperformed in aspects of their job this year, players and manager….as well as the board in the summer…..all this coupled with bad luck in injuries in comparison to last year is why we are where we are…i agree it’s not one singular issue.

• 17 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Man U have also had alot of quality at their disposal, alot more than us.

But I get where your coming from.

There is no doubt our squad has underperformed. Everyone of them, some more so than others. But I don’t blame them.

If I totally exceeded my companys expectations of me last year and made them alot of money. And then they gambled all my hard work on a ridiculous outrageous gamble a short time afterwards, I wouldn’t be feeling to confident going into my new year and my morale would be pretty low also. What incentive have they given me I’d be asking?

Everyone at the club deserved alot better in the summer and we shudn’t be where we are now. Thankfully it’s been rectified and the cloud has lifted from certain players at the club.

• 18 Transfer Sage // Feb 19, 2013 at 12:59 PM

prodigy

Just using man utd as an example…not suggesting we would be near them attacking.

More that they have similar quality to city but by attacking more than city have they have managed to get themselves further ahead (probably not the only reason though).

I’d like to see us be a bit more adventurous….not expecting us to be madrid or barca….just want us to show a bit more intent.

• 19 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Would anyone else start Ben Arfa on Thursday and give him about 60-70 minutes ? . It might be a bit dangerous throwing him straight in against Southampton at the weekend and expect him to be back to his best straight away.

• 20 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 19, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Aye, I get you arn’t comparing ;)

I think we are showing alot more intent at the moment. We are certaintly going out to win games now we have players back and the quality in depth has been added.

This says to me, if we had of had these options over the course of the season we would of tried the same. I don’t think we have ever set out to play negative football, I think it’s just been a case of low confidence and morale, witnessing underperforming players week in week out. Basically a weak squad all round.

Ben Arfa is the last piece of the puzzle to come back in, I see no reason once he gets upto speed that we can’t witness the top 6 football we all crave. Gouffran, Cisse, and Ben Arfa.

• 21 Ian Toon // Feb 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM

JFA- You asked ” Whether I am slightly disturbed over the obsessive manner in which Pushy constantly refers to me.”
    NO. I don’t recognise any unwarranted personality traits. I think the question says more about you. Although we’re all responsible for our own well being I will make a few observations which I hope you will find constructive. I feel no good reason to seek to alienate someone who has a similar outlook on the team and represents core support, is intelligent, has a positive outlook, clearly a member of the football intelligentsia. We all have doubtless different likes and dislikes in people. In the real world I meet all sorts of personalities where I need to display a constant behaviour pattern to fulfill my task. In the main people are not difficult but different. It might surprise you too learn that I am a good listener Which is essential. You do from time to time behave in a passively aggressive manner towards the blog. I do not bully easily but I recall you linking me with Friedrich Nietzsche (a 19th century philosopher ). Which was interesting though absurd. Surely no stranger than what you claim of Pushy. I hate to think what you make of Oscar Wilde or James Joyce. The French say
    “Moins on en parle , moins on en souffre” which means the less you talk about it the less you suffer from it. Arsene Wenger ( not about dual postings) summed it up ” The lie is targeted to hurt.” When reading the posts on the blog I find it a good idea to sometimes reflect not on what is being said but why! Gordon Brown’s ” No more boom and bust” was a lie irrespective of how many times he repeated it. The truth will not hurt you. Don’t bother to apologise yet again just don’t keep making the same mistakes. LOL
    I am a big Arsene fan but I would have advised him not to speak of what he HAS achieved. As an NUFC fan I am not interested in what a manager has achieved when he joins us but what he is going to achieve with us. Otherwise we never would have appointed KK.
    Hope your take this in the spirit it was intended. HWTL.

• 22 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Big Pappa,

For me that would all depend on his fitness, I would be devastated for him to break down during the game.

Maybe it’s better to get him upto speed in training? Rather than throw him out?

All depends on the lads fitness.

Im sure I’v read today Ben Arfa is flying over with them? Could be wrong.

• 23 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 19, 2013 at 1:26 PM

The line up for Southampton is looking like the best team we have been able to field all season IMO.

———————-Krul———————-

–Debuchy—-Taylor——Collocini—-Santon–

———————Tiote———————-

———-Cabaye————Sissoko———–

——HBA———Cisse———Gouffran—–

Wow :) . Not to mention we have Anita M’biwa and Marveaux on the bench.

• 24 pawl250 // Feb 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Personally think anything less than a full team is stupid. Look we have PL to worry about but not so much right now. We have 1 game this weekend and have a full week before the next game against Swansea who may still be celebrating a League Cup win by then!

My team for away day would be as follows:

——————– Krul ——————–
    Mbiwa – STaylor – Coloccini – Santon
    ————— Tiote – Cabaye ———-
    Ben Arfa —– Sissoko —– Gouffran
    ——————– Cisse ——————–

We have likes of Jonas, Perch, Marveaux, Anita, Debuchy to play at Southampton, AT HOME! Use our team in Europe wisely and try and win something for a change, at the expense of relegation, NO, but its hardly gone that far as of yet. Southampton is effectively a 6 pointer, but I think

———————– Krul ———————
    Debuchy – STaylor – Coloccini – Sanon
    —————– Perch – Cabaye ————-
    Ben Arfa ——– Sissoko ———– Jonas
    ———————– Cisse ——————–

Anita, Mbiwa, Gouffran, Tiote all awaiting a chance and fit if needed.

These are professional footballers its not uncommon to play 2 games within 4 days, if you were at a World Cup it would be expected FFS!

• 25 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I feel we are going to hammer Southampton on Sunday.

We just have far too much quality to suggest otherwise.

Got to be 3-4-5 goals for the Toon.

It’s going to be an onslaught and our first smashing of an enemy this season

• 26 toonincheek // Feb 19, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Ian Toon – I tend to agree with you
    then again
    I tend to agree with JfA to a large degree.
    You just have to take his comments in the right way -
    just that
    I got the name first!

Don’t quite understand your reference to “passively aggressive manner ” – but I like it!

• 27 Transfer Sage // Feb 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Prodigy

No doubt our football is much better since the new boys came in.

But it did improve before that as well….thats why I am happy giving pardew time as he did improve our play even before he got the new players.

• 28 Munster Mag // Feb 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Dont let Tiote near the team. Apart from form, I’m not sure how he will react if racially taunted over there. He seems to get a biy hysterical at times and thats not whats needed.

• 29 ITUNDERASHELL // Feb 19, 2013 at 1:42 PM

We are building a tremendous squad of highly skilled and ambitious players so let’s see how Pardew welds them together before we talk about needing to sack him!
    This project is still in its infancy but surely we can all see the exciting progress the club have made, and the style of football the club wants to develop.

• 30 Ketsbaia9 // Feb 19, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Krul

Debuchy Mbiwa Coloccini Santon

Anita

Ben Arfa Sissoko Cabaye Marveaux

Cisse

• 31 Transfer Sage // Feb 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Munster

I don’t think the prospect of him getting abuse should mean we don’t play him. I know playing him could harm the team if he starts to get annoyed but we shoudln’t be bullied by the possible section of their fans who behave this way…it is letting them win and have their way.

• 32 beefman13 // Feb 19, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Team v metalist, pardews pick

Krul
    Simpson
    Santon
    Mbiwa
    Colo
    Cabaye
    Tiote
    Marv
    Obertan
    Shola
    Cisse

He might start perch he might start simpson, probably not anita, shame that, he will keep jonas for southampton? That said height bot get his leg ova if he dosnt play him ha ha

Injury time winner for the toon, fingernails job if we are one up going in to the second half. We will be defensing like we are on the somme

• 33 robin // Feb 19, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Pardew, needs to drop jonas, and play Anita on the right of midfield as he will link up better with Sissoko. But then we are talking about Pardew, the worst tactician in football. I expect him to blow it as he always does, with his limited team selections, Shola, the worst player at the club will probably come on to ruin the game as one of Pardews panic substitutions. But who knows the luck maybe with us no matter what Pardew does to sabotage it!

• 34 Transfer Sage // Feb 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM

why anita on the right

he is a DM or fullback…now a winger or wide player

• 35 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Robin,

You are possibly the most blatant WUM I have ever seen on a blog.

Give it up eh..

• 36 toonicle // Feb 19, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Robin- No no. Anita doesn’t play on the right he should be sitting at DM covering the runs of Santon and Debuchy.

• 37 Premiership Manager // Feb 19, 2013 at 6:17 PM

The reason we beat Chelsea and the reason why we have looked good in recent weeks is because we have retained possesion and passed the ball vert well.

Goufran has been excellent with both his work rate and tracking back often catching players unaware and nicking the ball. HBA does not do this and is a liability when it comes to retaining possesion and IMO with three up front he unbalances what at the moment is a very stable midfield.

For me he should be kept on the bench as a last resort should we find ourselves in a position where we need to score a goal.

• 38 LeToonARMY // Feb 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM

My team for thursday
    __________KRUL_______________
    MBIWA__TAYLOR__COLO___SANTON
    _______TIOTE_____CABAYE___
    OBERTAN___SISSOKO____JONAS
    _____CISSE_____

Team for Sunday against Southampton
    ______________KRUL___________
    DEBUCHY__TAYLOR__COLLO__SANTON
    ______PERCH______CABAYE___
    BEN ARFA__SISSOKO___GUFFAN
    __________CISSE________

previous post: Pardew Plays Up Frenchman’s Metalist Performance

next post: Newcastle After Polish International Midfielder?