Can Newcastle Keep Steven Taylor Fit?

Steven Taylor has had a very bad time of it with injuries since January of 2010, when in our promotion season he picked up a serious injury to his knee playing at St. James’ Park against West Brom.

stevan taylor 9876

Steven Taylor – fit again and in fine form

The local lad was out for the rest of the season, and then when he came back in pre-season, he picked up a shoulder injury in his first game back,  in the friendly at Carlisle United.

Then last season Steven ruptured his Achilles against Chelsea in early December and was out for the rest of the season, and then in late September of last year he picked up a hamstring injury at Reading and was out for three months before returning to the side a few weeks ago.

Those injuries have set Steven back over the last three years, but when he does play for his local club, he shows just what a complete center-back he is – who is willing to risk life and limb to block shots on goal.

He did it against Metalist with his chest last Thursday night, and in the dramatic final minutes of the win against Chelsea, Steven blocked a terrific shot from Frank Lampard with his privates – as we said he’ll block shots with anything.

This is what Steven had to say in the Shields Gazette today:

“I feel good and fresh.” “It’s just what I wanted – getting out there and playing games.” “It’s given me confidence. I’m feeling good and training hard. We just want to get more wins now.”

“There are a lot of games, which is great for me. I just want to keep going to the end of the season.” “We’ll have a strong team out against Metalist, and we’ll give it a good go.”

“We want to go as far as we can in this competition.” “Colo and I have got a great understanding together – he’s a great player.” “We know each other’s strengths and weaknesses. I think that showed in the first leg.”

“The gaffer, John Carver and Steve Stone work on it a lot. They’re always trying to surround us with attackers.” “We’ve got to cope with that, and I think that showed.” “The more times we play together, the better understanding we can get as a defense.”

“And I thought Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa was fantastic on his debut.”

Steven has formed an excellent partnership once again with Fabricio Coloccini, who almost left the club last month to return to Argentina for personal family reasons – and it’s very likely both will line up against Metalist Kharkiv in the Ukraine tomorrow night.

And they both may have to start again against Southampton on Sunday afternoon, in a game we must try to win – to get away from the relegation zone in the Premier League – once and for all.

The challenge for Alan Pardew and his staff is how to ensure they can keep Steven fit and playing game in and game out for Newcastle – because he makes a huge difference at the back for Newcastle United – there’s just no doubt about that.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Mister Tuff

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM

There are some interesting fixtures coming up this weekend, Reading v Wigan and QPR v Man Utd. I hope the Reading /Wigan game ends up in a draw (a potential extra point for either side is lost) and the expectations should be that Man U take all three points at Reading. Arsenal are at home to Villa so I would imagine three points for the Gunners.
    If we can beat Southampton and other results go our way -we could climb a few places. One thing about this season is that the points “spread” at the bottom of the league towards mid table teams is not much – so even poorer teams who get a good run can get out of danger.
    The Soton game will be tricky for us -personally I would keep Sissoko and Benny fresh for this game, probably Cabs as well, and not play them in the Ukraine.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:41 AM

mister tuff

I’d like to use one of cabaye or sissoko in the Ukraine but happy to have anita in for tiote and marv in the middle for the one rested out of sissoko and cabaye.

Then stick with jonas and obertan on wing…use gouff and HBA on the weekend.

I’d keep same back 4 from home leg and cisse up top I think.

• G

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:49 AM

It still amuses me when people say we should get rid of ST. When he plays it’s plain to see the difference he makes, and yet some people don’t rate him. Still, I think of it as the acid test of people who don’t attend games very often, as on TV you don’t see a great deal of him, except when he is needed, and if you go to the match you witness one of the best ‘off-the-ball’ contributors in the Prem. I just hope his poor injury record is behind him now. The lad isn’t made of glass or anything, just unlucky, and unafraid to put himself in harms way for the good of the team.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM

G

No idea why people want rid….he is a very good CB. He may get injured a lot but when he is fit he is great. Add to that he is a local lad who plays with pride then you can’t want more.

He is perfect to have in the squad, always be pushing for a starting spot but a great back up if he loses his place to others through injury.

• tequilamag

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Squad for Thur named on NUFC site

Newcastle United squad in full
    Shola Ameobi, Vurnon Anita, Gael Bigirimana, Yohan Cabaye, Papiss Cisse, Fabricio Coloccini, Rob Elliot, Dan Gosling, Jonas Gutierrez, Massadio Haïdara, Tim Krul, Sylvain Marveaux, Gabriel Obertan, James Perch, Danny Simpson, Moussa Sissoko, Steven Taylor, Cheick Tiote, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa

• Mister Tuff

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Transfer – whilst I would like to play them all in both games I did notice that Sissoko never stops running/chasing down. In his second game for us he was clearly fatigued after 65-70 mins. So I do not want him “burnt out” for the Soton game.
    Percys team selection for these games has got me intrigued – about which way he is going to go. Somebody mentioned earlier that Mentalist were a bit like Swansea -good technically -playing it around but no goal threat in the last third. I agree with this comparison, so a good defensive line up (no Willo or Simpson??) could provide a platform for us to nick a goal on the break. But this is still a tricky tie – a win would be a exceptional result -and provide ultra confidence for the Soton game.

• tequilamag

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Santon not named so it seems Haidara will get a game

• valle

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Regarding the home grown rule, i have seen some wrong info posted on this site. You can have a maximum of 17 non-homegrown players in the squad (We have 15). A home grown player is someone who have trained in England/Wales for 3 years before his birthday, nationality dosnt matter… That means that we can keep our squad and add to players above 21 and still meeting the demands and we can add as many under 21’s as we want, alhough those players would have to be 17 to count as home grown in the future. Any of these we sell will increase the number of non-homegrowns we can buy.

Jonas
    Amalfitano
    Obertan
    And unfortunately Colo

I could name 11 others ofcourse but i have only named those who we in my opinion could exhange for better or in Colo case, which we will lose for other reasons.

We could still only have 25 players above 21 in our squad, meaning that a few deadwood homegrowns like Gosling, Williamson and Simpson could move without is causing any problem.

• saxonfenken

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I do not envy Alan, he will be dammed if we play a strong side and lose, and dammed if we play a weak side and lose. We really must win both games this week somehow. So all I say is lets get behind the manager and team

• Mister Tuff

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I see Willo is not named in the squad nor is Benny.

• robin

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Jonas, should be dropped as he unsettles the team his passing and crossing are not up to the required standards even for the Fifa 13 geeks on here. The team needs more mobility, Anita and Marveaux are a much better alternative than old Jonas, who is approaching the end of his NUFC career rather like Colocini, who is a liability with no pace either just like another Pardew favourite Big useless Shola, we know the games up when he wanders onto the pitch!

• south coast toon

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM

love steve taylor he gives 120 per cent, and all the poeple that want rid r mad, no wonder hes injured alot that frank lampard shot in the nuts would of had me layed down and off work, his injures have all been different so he should stay fit, depending on how many times he gets away with putting his body on the line, as for team for next 2 games not a clue who r our best players now prob only play sisocko for limited time cabs limeted, give ben arfa a late run out, anita got to start , god when did we have so many to choose from,good strong side to get through

• The next Mike Williamson

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Taylor is ideal for a 3rd choice defender. When he plays week in, week out he just seems to get injured. He could have been a top defender by now if it wasn’t for missing half of every season

• toonicle

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Mag- Good news! I was hoping Haidara would get his start this Thursday. It’ll be good to give Santon a rest before Sundays game too.