The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Some Surprises In Magpies Squad For Metalist

4:46 pm, Wednesday, February 20th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 55 Comments

Alan Pardew has decided to give Italian international Davide Santon a well deserved rest tomorrow night, and Davide was not in the squad that jetted off to the Ukraine for the game tomorrow night against Metalist Kharkiv, with the tie delicately balanced at 0-0.

Massadio Haïdara.

Massadio Haidara – could get a game tomorrow night

But the squad is still very strong – and at least we now know we’ll have four fresh players for the game against Southampton on Sunday afternoon who have not traveled to the Ukraine –  Mathieu Debuchy, Davide Santon, Yoan Gouffran and Ben Arfa – assuming the Newcastle winger is available for selection on Sunday.

And Dan Gosling makes his first appearance in a squad since sustaining a knee injury in the U21 game against Aston Villa on 8th October – and that’s the same game Haris Vuckic sustained his ACL knee injury and is out for the season – and both injuries happened within  minutes of each other.

It’s a long four months out for Dan – who only just recovered from his own serious ACL knee injury he had when he was signed by Newcastle the in the summer of 2010 as a free agent,  and in two and a half years since joining the Magpies he has only 22 first team appearances.

This is the 19 man Newcastle squad that traveled today – in alphabetical order:

Shola Ameobi, Vurnon Anita, Gael Bigirimana, Yohan Cabaye, Papiss Cisse, Fabricio Coloccini, Rob Elliot, Dan Gosling, Jonas Gutierrez, Massadio Haidara, Tim Krul, Sylvain Marveaux, Gabby Obertan, James Perch, Danny Simpson, Moussa Sissoko, Steven Taylor, Cheick Tiote, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.

Santon is the only player who has started in all of Newcastle’s Premier League games this season, and that’s likely to continue on Sunday.

And it could be that new signing Massadio Haidara could get his debut for Newcastle in the game tomorrow night, although Pardew may want to pack the team with experienced players  in such a crucial game.

Hatem Ben Arfa, as we expected,  is not on the plane, and we suspect Alan Pardew would like to start him on Sunday, which has been deemed French Day by the club – in honor of all our great  French players.

James Perch and Danny Simpson are also on the plane and can play at either full back position – but it’s likely that Yanga-Mbiwa will continue at right back – after he had such a solid game against Willian last Thursday night.

Whatever team Alan Pardew puts out tomorrow night should be a strong side – given the strength of the squad he has taken to the Ukraine.

Howay The lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at

Tags: Dan Gosling · Davide Santon · Europa League · European Competition · Hatem Ben Arfa · Massadio Haidara · Newcastle News

55 responses so far ↓

• 1 sticklebricks // Feb 20, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Mbiwa – LB and Simmo RB maybe..?

• 2 toon1707 // Feb 20, 2013 at 4:53 PM

We should play our strongest possible team we know santon debuchy goofy and Ben Arfa are not that’s 4 fresh and ready for Southampton goalkeepers don’t run all game long so krul will be fit that’s 5 fit players and I am sure if cabaye cisse and tiote all get dubbed off at some stage being athletes they will all be fine aswell so let’s go for the win

• 3 Hatem // Feb 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I would like to see us go out and dominate them, Bigi deserves a start as he’s one of our only youngsters how looked confident and hungry this season. Press high up the pitch and hopefully Cisse will grab a few HWTal

• 4 Graeme // Feb 20, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I would imagine that Cisse will be determined to right the wrongs of last week – I would not be surprised to see him bag a hat-trick tomorrow night.

He’ll then probably get booked for giving the linesman the finger lol

• 5 9 // Feb 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM

These guys (Metalist) are no mugs and, looking at our away performances this year, especially including Europa (no wins against anybody) this could be a strecth too far unless we give it absolute top prioriy, and even then it would be chancy. Clearly, we are not giving it absolute top priority (quite rightly) so, while greatly looking forward to the match, I will be astonished if we progress. Let’s hope, anyway!

• 6 Ian Toon // Feb 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Tunski– Would you like to quote for any future business in that area as well?

• 7 Munster Mag // Feb 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM

We have to go for this game. If Pards doesnt front up and get the very best team he can on the pitch I’ll be both amazed and disappointed. We WILL stay up – no problem – but we need to progress here for exposure and potential if unlikely silverware.

• 8 LeToonARMY // Feb 20, 2013 at 5:18 PM

___Yanga ___Taylor__colo___Simmo_____
    ________Perch________Cabaye_______ __Obertan_____sissoko_______Gutti____

SUBS:- Shola Ameobi, Vurnon Anita, Gael Bigirimana, Massadio Haidara, Sylvain Marveaux, Cheick Tiote,

• 9 melv1881 // Feb 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM

We’ve actually got a squad now but we need to start using it. Anita in particular and also marveaux haven’t had
    Much of a look in recently. Give them some game time pls pards! Anita is prob out best midfielder for pressing high up and putting opponents under pressure he deserves to start either tomorrow or Sunday as does marveaux

• 10 barkel // Feb 20, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Mbiwa Colo Saylor Jonas
    Tiote Cabaye
    Obertan Sissoko Marv

That’s how I’d go for it tomorrow

• 11 9 // Feb 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Munster: Be careful, mate – I too reckon we will stay up, but you can’t say “no problem”, that’s just irresponsible. Say a couple of our top lads were picked tomorrow and got injured/siuspended, meaning we had a weaker team against Soton and (it IS possible) we lost on Sunday – what then? We just can’t contemplate Sunday without our very best team, which means compromising tomorrow. NOTHING is more important than staying up and, as yet, it is NOT “no problem” (look at table).

• 12 north_country_boy // Feb 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Mbiwa Collo Taylor Haidara
    Bigi Tiote
    Sissoko Cabaye Marveaux

• 13 dmac // Feb 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I wouldnt play Yanga out of position just to have Dimmo in the squad. I would give Haidara a game who has played a fair bit of football this season.

• 14 Rotonda heights // Feb 20, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Can’t play Simmo if we’e trying to win the game surely.

Had forgotten about Gosling. I guess that kind of sums up his impact!

Gutted I have to miss Sunday as partner has her friends coming round. Why do women never understand planning should be around a match not instead of it. Had the same problem with Valentines day.

On Sunday Benny and Goofy either side of Cisse with Socks, Cabs and one of Anita or Tiote would be awesome. Just hope we have enough firepower tomorrow night.

• 15 LeToonARMY // Feb 20, 2013 at 6:01 PM

melv1881 i think tomorrow night will be all about defense i think we haidira or simmo will play left back but Anita is not really a goal scorer we need people going forward that can create goal or score them not to take anything away from him tho i think his a good player i just think perch is more built for the job as he has shown in the villa and the chelsea matches. tomoorow we will leave the work to sissoko gutti obertan and cisse to set up and score goals the others just need to prevent metaliks from scoring and we’ll be fine as for sunday with ben arfa and guffan on the wings and sissoko and cisse in the middle i think it will be a good game to watch as long as our defense is strong which it should be

• 16 Marty-Toon // Feb 20, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Simmo at RB is a stupid choice as Willian will waste him every time.
    Anita would be better there but Mbiwa will be chosen by Pards and probably Haidara on the left.
    Will be a strong team and hope we score 1 or 2 that are offside and don’t get called 😉

• 17 NobbyNolano // Feb 20, 2013 at 6:10 PM

His squad selection intrigues and excites me. Glad it seems we’re going for it. < My views are shared here more.

• 18 SpaceGhost // Feb 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Mbiwa Saylor Colo Anita
    Tiote Cabaye
    Obertan Sissoko Jonas

Anita has played there before for Ajax. I believe Pardew would get his most experienced side out for this. Haidara must have looked good in training to make it in Ukraine. Simmo is there only for precaution. Hope he doesn’t make it on the field

• 19 Tsunki // Feb 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Ian Toon – nee bother I have been a gas fitter, electrician, joiner, picture framer, IT trainer, network support, and I tell you now if I couldn’t wire 2-way lights I might as well pack it all in and go into psychology ba boom ta-daaa! Sorry about that couldn’t resist it ha ha :)

• 20 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 20, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Tsunki…But do you know a kitchen fitter?

• 21 Tsunki // Feb 20, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Simmo is there to see out the match when Mbiwa is subbed to keep him fresh. Anita, Haidara, Bigi need to start so they know they are close to first team, they are good players and they should not be allowed to let their confidence drop. Rest Jonas for pity’s sake. Gosling? I dunno, maybe if he’s first off the plane he could go on all fours and be the bottom step so no ankle injuries for the other lads.

• 22 Tsunki // Feb 20, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Ibiza – look closely at the description mate, a combination of two or three will qualify as kitchen fitter. Plus these days the networking thing, if you want your e-fridge assigned a fixed ip I am there. :)

• 23 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 20, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Tsunki…Re-reading, a joiner would probably do just fine :) Good job my business is property…ahem. An E-Fridge? Is that a happy fridge that likes to cuddle and dance?

Bit creepy.

• 24 Tsunki // Feb 20, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Where’s Belfast these days? Has he finally decided to put a sock in it 😉

• 25 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 20, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Tsunki…I think the council have stopped paying for a carer to come and type his nonsense on here…shame really, good for the ego having Belfast about.

Right then, the bait has been left, will we get a bite?

“Here Belfast, come here boy”

• 26 The next Mike Williamson // Feb 20, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I think he’ll play a similar team to last week maybe switching santon for haidara. It is a team that will make it difficult for them to score but apart from sissoko I can’t see where the chances will come from – certainly not Oba or Jonas.

I’d like to see Marveaux on the pitch as he has our most assists this season with 5 despite barely playing. Whereas Cabaye and Jonas only have one apiece.

Although I think he’s utterly useless the other wing should go to Oba to use his pace and hit them on the break because we will be on the back foot in this one.

• 27 Tsunki // Feb 20, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Whats creepy about a fridge that orders more beer when stocks reach danger level? Somebody should invent it. And an electric single-seat cart that oh…wait…

• 28 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 20, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Tsunki…I have to run, but we’ll pick this up again later. Keep it quiet, wouldn’t want anyone stealing the idea….best get ready to be rolling in the wonga.

• 29 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 20, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Evening lads!

…are we confident about tomorrow?

Ibiza…are you grooming us for work? I have told you I. amm packing heavy (the family) and we need food and accommodation 😉 lol

• 30 Ian Toon // Feb 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Munster – What an ordeal. With your blue blood a transfusion must have been a problem.. A former flat mate used to take ibuprofen ( same family) for a hangover. That was until he had a reaction.

• 31 Tinman // Feb 20, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Tsunki, sorry bro….
    Article Dated 2010 aswell, beat you by 3 years :-/

• 32 Ian Toon // Feb 20, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Jesper- The wanderer returns.

• 33 Ian Toon // Feb 20, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Tsunki – I am a car park attendant busy at night .
    It doesn’t surprise me you’ve had a chequered career . I can imagine the women telling their partners/ husbands/ boy friends that you had called to fix the cooker/ fridge/ dish washer/ leaking tap . The list is endless. A man for all reasons err I mean seasons.

• 34 KenyanMagpie4Life // Feb 20, 2013 at 7:22 PM

2-1 to nufc

• 35 Ian Toon // Feb 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Jesper- Very confident. The spirit and mentality from the camp sounds good. Can see us bossing the midfield and catching them on the break. With one eye on Sunday hope we come through unscathed .
    I will catch you later.

• 36 Ian Toon // Feb 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Do you know Sabatini’s in King Street on the Quayside. The other day one of the owners was moaning about someone who had made a mess of work in their kitchens . I kid you not.

• 37 cockneymagpie90 // Feb 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Should be this but i doubt pardew will do it.

Anita should start but i doubt that aswell.

• 38 north_country_boy // Feb 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Reckon we might go through with a hard earned 1-1 draw – take the lead through Cisse, concede after some pressure then pack the defence for last 20 mins and hold on. Then win a couple of games in the league to ease the pressure then back into the groove and push as far as we can in Europe – that’s what I’m hoping for anyway!

• 39 cockneymagpie90 // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:03 PM

We have 2 full backs and 2 wingers fit and fresh for sunday… santon, debuchy, gouffran, benarfa :)

• 40 cockneymagpie90 // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:05 PM

team for sunday..

• 41 toonicle // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Excited to see Haidara get his first start, let’s hope that happens! If he’s struggling we have plenty of LB cover in that team that’s travelling.

• 42 check the toastie // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM

toonicle, maybe Anita or Perchy will play left back? dont think Pards will start Haidara, not like him at all. Throwing a young lad in.

Cockney – super team eh, actually believe on current form Perchy/Anita are worth a place above Tiote, and Mbiwa should be rotated and given a chance in the PL, first for Collo for me, Lets face it he has made it clear he is wanting to leave the club.

• 43 north_country_boy // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Forgot about Anita in previous post, think I’d go:
    Mbiwa Collo Taylor Haidara
    Anita Tiote
    Sissoko Cabaye Marveaux

Then on Sunday:
    Debuchy Collo Taylor Santon
    Sissoko Tiote Cabaye
    Ben Arfa Cisse Gouffran

• 44 Jail for Ashley // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:24 PM

An intermediate switch is not quite the same as a two way as it is designed to switch from three or more points.
    On Sundays match,I have just purchased a Beau Peep style legionaires tunic and a white kepi hat which I will wear after a few beers,funnily enough I’m sitting in the family section this time.

• 45 santonthenewmaldini // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Quite good that Santon is getting a rest for this game as thought he looked a little tired against Spurs and then shattered against Metallist cant expect him to play every game!!!

I would play Haidara in this game and play Jonas beside as lets face it Jonas is great at baby sitting left backs its his trademark!!!Haidara is rapid though so could provide a good overlapping outlet

Metallist are not that good and to be honest but for dodgy refs and missed chances we would be going there with a 2 goal advantage I feel we will get more chances against them as they will have to attack us more

• 46 OhSholaAmeobi // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Team to face Metalist?
    Simpson Mbiwa S.Taylor Haidara
    Anita Cabaye Tiote
    Gutierrez Cisse Marveaux

Team to face Southampton?
    Debuchy S.Taylor Colo Santon
    Tiote Cabaye
    Sissoko Ben Arfa Gouffran

• 47 toonicle // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Team for tomorrow

Marv plays better through the middle, Anita and Cabs can move around between eachother and Anita can cover LB if Haidara gets swamped. Perch comes on with Bigi later on to keep our midfield fresh for Sunday.

• 48 toonicle // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Check- But Haidara has good first team experience this year, he was starting in the french league and from what some other posters on here have said was giving a good account of himself.

• 49 davyboy32 // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Hey guys,

looks to me like Pards is gonna go for 3 at the back

mbwia – collo – tayls
    tiote – perch
    obertoon – cabaye – guti
    DM’s cover the fullback areas when defending

• 50 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 20, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Evening lads,

So it looks as though no Ben Arfa for Sunday? Gutting.

Unless its a ploy by Pardew to surprise them on the day?

He reckons he is more than likely to be on the bench for the Swansea game.

• 51 check the toastie // Feb 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM

toonicle – dont get me wrong would give the lad a start, dont think Pardew will though, if he does clearly shows he rates the lad.

• 52 Mister Tuff // Feb 20, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Jail- I remember doing some intermediate lighting a good few years ago. The missus wanted ceiling lights and wall lights in a corridor with switches outside the bedrooms and one at the end of the corridor (four x 2 gang switches). Armed with my copy of the latest (then) Wiring Regs -it took me ages how to work it out -used 2 gang patresses and modules, all MK stuff. I drew it all up on paper first and gingerly set about doing it. Everything was ok and is still in operation now. My brain would probably not be able to work it out now.

• 53 toonicle // Feb 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Haha fair enough Check, sometimes Pards just confuses the heck outta me too.

• 54 yo-yo // Feb 20, 2013 at 10:13 PM

HBA is our secret weapon. Shhh !

• 55 Yorkgeordie // Feb 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Williamson seems to have disappeared off the planet. I agree with most that he is not good enough to play at this level but I feel he gives 100% and can imagine he must be feeling pretty sick about being forgotten overnight. I hope he gets a move to a championship club in the summer and wish him well.

previous post: Ben Arfa To Start Against Southampton?

next post: Coloccini – I am Happy To Play Now – Next Season, I Don’t Know