The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Yanga-Mbiwa Liking Life In Newcastle – But It’s Cold

9:53 am, Wednesday, February 20th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 12 Comments

Alan Pardew is using the injustice of having two good goals disallowed in the first leg against Metalist Kharkiv, to inspire the troops to go out and get a good result in the Ukraine   tomorrow night,  and get through to the round of the last 16 in the Europa League.

mapou yabga-mbiwa metalist

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – in action against Metalist

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa made his starting debut at right back in the 0-0 draw last Thursday at St. James’ Park, and he will start again at right back tomorrow night.

This is what the 3 times capped French international defender had to say about the game today  in the Daily Mirror:

“We had our chances to come away with victory, but unfortunately we couldn’t.” “However, there were a lot of positives to take out of the match and we’ll go away in the second leg, try and get one or two goals and come away with a victory.”

“I was very excited to get going in the Newcastle shirt, especially at St James’ Park. It was good to get my foot in the door and show the team that I can work well with the squad.”

“Obviously the manager wants a squad that will work well together, where everyone can play, where everyone has their position and where we can go and get some good results and move away from the bottom end of the Premier League, and hope to do some good things with the team.”

“I’m liking my life here in Newcastle. I’m getting to know the city a lot better and finding places that I like.” “The players who were already here have given me some good tips of great places to go and I’m looking forward to looking around a little bit more.”

“It’s just a little bit cold, perhaps – but I’m starting to get used to it.”

The cold weather in Newcastle will help Mapou handle things in the Ukraine – because it will be even colder there.

I just checked the temperatures in Kharkiv and Newcastle as I write this, and it’s 27 degrees F and 36 degrees F respectively – but match time temperatures should be less than 27 degrees F – given the game will be played at night. In fact tomorrow’s temperatures in Kharkiv are a high of 28 and a low of 18 (degrees Fahrenheit) – with the low coming at around 10:00 pm – so it will be in the low 20s at best during the game.

We just want to somehow get through the tie tomorrow night, and if we can do that –  spirits will be very high and no doubt Alan Pardew will then demand a win against Southampton on Sunday afternoon – helped hopefully by a sell-out crowd at St. James’ Park.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa · Newcastle News

12 responses so far ↓

• 1 roshan MAGPIE // Feb 20, 2013 at 9:59 AM

don’t care about europa league hope we stay in premier league

• 2 Grafton83 // Feb 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I really think Metalist are a very average team, If we get the away goal we’ll surely go on to win the tie. For once I won’t mind id Pards wants to protect a 1 goal lead for 45 minutes or more.

• 3 Transfer Sage // Feb 20, 2013 at 10:03 AM

roshan

Why don’t you care about europa league? It’s a good tournament that gets us to play some good european teams…something a bit different.

League is priority but we not have a squad able to attack both I think.

• 4 Transfer Sage // Feb 20, 2013 at 10:04 AM

grafton

I think the same about metalist…..remind me of swansea last year.

Very good at keeping the ball in their half but seem to lack a cutting edge in the final third.

Since they lost taison in january they lack that quality to break teams down as often as they did before.,

• 5 Grafton83 // Feb 20, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Quite frankly I don’t care where we finish in the Prem, it’s of little significance as long as we’re not relegated and we won’t be it’s just pure paranoia if you really believe that.

That said I would like to cling on to the dream of a european trophy this year for as long as possible which is not out of the question with our new additions. Cup football is what puts the fun and excitement into being a supporter. It will be a boring slow death to the season if all I get to see is Pardew fumble around trying to amass 40 points.

• 6 Transfer Sage // Feb 20, 2013 at 10:09 AM

garfton

With you on the relegation front, just can’t see it…couldnt before january and certainly can’t now.

I think we will finish around the 47/48 point mark which will leave us around 10 clear of the drop I think.

• 7 Grafton83 // Feb 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Agreed Transfer Sage, If there aren’t 3 teams (and a manager) worse than us this year then I’ll be a monkeys uncle.

QPR, Wigan and Reading are my prediction as it stands at the moment. I think Benteke was an inspired purchase for Villa he might just keep them in the league.

• 8 Transfer Sage // Feb 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM

grafton

I think those will be the three although i can see villa going down as wigan seem to pull off a miracle every year….i just hope villa nd qpr go down…only 2 i dont like in the league.

• 9 check the toastie // Feb 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Relegation shouldnt even be in Pardews thoughts with the squad he now has, however i have said before, that at times i believe Parsnip could get Barcelona relegated with some of his selections and tactics.

Lets hope we start the game with the right intent on Sunday, will be no cakewalk, Soton are playing some good stuff under their new ‘continental’ coach.

• 10 Grafton83 // Feb 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM

QPR are my least favourite. They’ve got no class at all. Hijacking deals, throwing money around, offering stupid contracts.

Also I happened to find myself without a ticket for our promotion party up to the prem so I had to sit with the QPR home fans that day. Every Geordie to a man in that stand was perfectly polite and well behaved without being too loud or vocal out of respect for where we were stood but the number of fights some QPR yobs started was ridiculous.

• 11 Wysey // Feb 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Agree we should stay up and the 3 to go down will be QPR, Reading and Wigan/Villa – really hope it is Villa for all the reasons previously mentioned.

Lets hope for an early away goal tomorrow to make up for the injustice last week and a great result. Still.a long shot but while we are in the Europa lets try and win the damn thing!

• 12 widowmagandapoke // Feb 20, 2013 at 1:59 PM

If you think it’s cold here Yanga, just wait till Thursday

previous post: We’re Feeling Better – Atmosphere In Training Very Good

next post: Can Newcastle Keep Steven Taylor Fit?