The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Young Magpie Proud To Be Part Of Newcastle United

9:01 am, Wednesday, February 20th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

Gael Bigirimana was a steal at £1M last summer from Coventry City, who were relegated from the Championship last season, and Bigi has already appeared 22 times for the Newcastle first team with one glorious goal against Wigan, and he has made a very good start to his career on Tyneside,.

gael bigirimana I did it Wigan

Gael Bigirimana – after scoring his goal against Wigan

The Newcastle squad jetted out yesterday for the game against Metalist Kharkiv tomorrow night, and Bigi was on the plane, but it’s not clear whether he will see any action tomorrow night, because it’s not clear what team Alan Pardew will play, and whether he will play a really strong side tomorrow night, given that a tough game in the league against Southampton is coming up on Sunday at St. James’ Park.

This is what the 19 year-old Burundi born player had to say in the Newcastle Journal today:

“Europe is an opportunity for us as young players and it is up to me to work as hard as I can to be involved.” “I have signed a big, long five year contract but I’m still young so I am just trying to learn and improve every day.”

“Now it is up to the manager but I am here if he needs me.” “The Premier League is very important but we want to win the Europa League and, with the new players, our squad has a lot of options so it is what we are all aiming for.”

“Sometimes as a young player you need to come in when the team is doing well to see if you have improved or where you are.” “Lately I’ve been on the bench or in the squad – it’s all experience for me.”

“The gaffer is just saying to me, ‘Keep working, keep learning’ and I will do that. I’m just proud to be part of Newcastle United.”

It’s a long round trip to the Ukraine and hopefully Alan will be mindful of the Southampton game – but of course the very best outcome would be to get through tomorrow night – and a score draw would do that for us – and then win the game against Southampton, which would take us up to 30 points from 27 games and put us 3 points ahead of the Saints and maybe move us up the table a few places.

And with our much stronger squad maybe that’s even possible now.

We hope so.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Gael Bigirimana · Newcastle News

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Really like Bigi. Great attitude and so far seems a great player.

• 2 Transfer Sage // Feb 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Yeh this lad seems very genuine, hard working, good talent in a position which usually requires experience and the ability to read the game…he is making a great start.

Ibiza – Yeh everyone has envy but not as many have the ambition the work ethic to get where they want. It’s easy as a fan to demand more as it requires us to do nothing ourselves.

I’m more of the view I want to be entertained, as long as there is good football, players putting their all into each match and a genuine sustainable plan to make sure the club stays around for my kids/grandkids in the future then I am happy.

• 3 Graeme // Feb 20, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Will be really interesting to see what team Pardew puts out tomorrow. Is he ambitious? Or is he going to be extremely cautious?

As long as we are at least 4 points above the drop zone on the final day of the season, we can right it off as an exercise in “what should have been”!!

With the addition of another good CB, a Striker, maybe a winger we will start next season with a far stronger, better balanced team, than we started this one. Fingers Crossed.

• 4 ballerfan2 // Feb 20, 2013 at 9:29 AM

That all sounds so reasonable Graeme. Unfortunately we have to recognise there are a great number of fans who are not reasonable. If we were to finish just above the relegation area at the end of the season, the doom merchants would have a field day – and have the entire summer to let us know their views. Hopefully our new look squad is capable of a barnstorming end to the season to push us to at least mid table to spare us their gloom filled rants.

• 5 Ian Toon // Feb 20, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Transfer- Jogging back on Wenger/ transfers. Even in a relegation battle there are not too many Arsenal players who would now get into our starting side. Aside from Wilshere and Cazorla – there is not much to choose between Debuchy and Sagna. Their starting side players Szc( goalkeeper) Mertesacker( not much better than Williamson)and Ramsey are poor. But this illustrates the point of a screwed up transfer policypreventing the signing of better alternatives through a phrobitive wage structure. That’s we’re DL’s colour coded
    Scheme has a place . If there is a blog gage in movement then decisions have to be made. We’re not there yet but it will come.

• 6 Corny74 // Feb 20, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Bigi is a great addition and will only improve in the years to come. As for Europe I would start the same back 4. Tiote, Perch,Marv, Guti, Anita, with Cisse up front. Keep HBA,Sissoko & Dreamboat fresh for the Saints.

• 7 toonincheek // Feb 20, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I think we need Sissoko and Cabaye on from the start to set a pattern of play.
    Sub them after an hour – hopefully.
    HBA on with half an hour to go – break him in gently.

• 8 toonincheek // Feb 20, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Hmmm – see HBA and Cabaye are not travelling.
    HBA I can understand – he needs more training to get him up to something like match fitness.
    Travelling to the Ukraine would not be a good idea.

Cabaye – I would like to have seen him dictating play but with his teammates told to expect to look after him so he can conserve some energy for our Sunday roast of Southhampton.

• 9 The next Mike Williamson // Feb 20, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I hope he gets a chance to develop next season, either at us or in the Championship. I don’t think he’ll get a run in the team here with Perch & possibly Gosling filling the understudy role to Tiote.

The last two young players Newcastle gave a proper run in the team – 10-15 consecutive games – were Carrol and Krul. They only got their chance because we were in the championship and Harper & Ameobi (both average players) got injuries and even then it took Carrol half a season to start scoring.

If we’d been in the top league they would both probably be sitting on the bench getting 2 minutes here and there.

previous post: Ba – Newcastle Could Be One Of The Best Clubs In The World