The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew – I Think We Can Go Far

2:11 pm, Thursday, February 21st, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 71 Comments

Alan Pardew certainly seems to be upbeat these days,  and we’ve got to believe that his players – especially his new players acquired last month – are performing very well in training – and they are certainly performing very well in the games they have played for Newcastle so far.

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa metalist 90

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – an excellent acquisition  for Newcastle

That goes for Mathieu Debuchy, Moussa Sissoko, Yoan Gouffran and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – and they have been some of Newcastle’s best players since they arrived on Tyneside last month.

It just shows that the January transfer window could go down as a watershed event at the Tyneside club, because we’ve also noticed the new players are very ambitious,  and want to do well at Newcastle – and have big ambitions for the club  – and that will surely propel Newcastle forward.

That can’t be bad.

This is what Alan Pardew said about tonight’s game in the Evening Chronicle today:

“Maybe with Ben Arfa’s return and how we sit at the moment that would be disappointment because I think we can go far.” “I can’t see how their fans are going to be more fanatical than ours.” “And they got 0-0 at our place somewhat fortunately.”

“I think we can get a score draw here or I think we can win.” “I look at the two teams and I think it is even.” “They have good players and we have good players.” “But I am hoping that we accomplish our main agenda – and that is to score a goal.”

“If we score a goal there will be no extra time.” “That is a definite for me – I don’t want extra time.” “Scoring goals would be good.” “I can’t see it being 0-0.” “I think the team that we have can’t go through two 90 minutes without scoring back to back.”

“Looking at the way they play, I think they will score and I think we will score.”

It’s a good chance tonight for the new Newcastle to show just how good they are – but whatever happens tonight in Kharkiv – as long as we get our lads playing at 100% and doing the best they can, we’ll take whatever result we get – but the next game is against Southampton on Sunday – and we must win that one.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

71 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Alan seems up for this one.

Bring on KO.

• 2 santonthenewmaldini // Feb 21, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Are we really after him ? The games i have seen he has looked decent but the way they are talking about him he is like a homegrown Obertan !

• 3 santonthenewmaldini // Feb 21, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Good to see Pardew talking positive looks like he is getting his confidence back which means we might be in line for some “Champagne Football” when Arfa comes back…..

• 4 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Santon…One thing we all learned last season about our manager and players is that when confidence is up you can expect big things. Glad to see this current wave of positivity within the camp again. Onwards and upwards.

On the transfer report…your guess is as good as mine…

• 5 rainrix // Feb 21, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Strange i didn’t think karkiv were much of a threat tbh, maybe they’ll show more at home but im confident we can win.

Wonder what their pitch is like, i saw zenit against cesspool and their pitch looked horrific, hopefully karkivs is a bit better maintained.

• 6 santonthenewmaldini // Feb 21, 2013 at 2:24 PM

@rainrix I actually think that Zenit done that on purpose same as Milan last night against Barca

Having a pitch like that makes it harder for teams to do Tika Taka Barca were complaining about it last night

• 7 santonthenewmaldini // Feb 21, 2013 at 2:26 PM

@Ibiza yeah i mean if we got that Puncheon on a free transfer on similar wages to Obertan we could then use Ober as a make weight in getting PEA or Mirin in the summer thus having another homegrown and improving our player pool as well!!Simple!

Cant wait for this game now tempted to start drinking !!

• 8 Puppet Pardew // Feb 21, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Hi Fans, I like the way you all get so aroused when I talk positive. I’ll have to do it some more, try this….

“After we smash the Metalist menace by 4 goals to nil we will fly back triumphant and absolutely pound those sickly Saints by five clear net bulgers… Good eh?”

PP.

• 9 beefman13 // Feb 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Tough game tonight, think it may go to injury time. And hopefully a win for us.

• 10 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Puppet…You’re making me all weak at the knees

Santon..Get on it now, what’s the worst thing that could happen? :)

• 11 Vask // Feb 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I’m predicting a 0-1 in our favour tonight. Santon to score a screamer from 1611miles out.

• 12 chris_g // Feb 21, 2013 at 2:37 PM

“If Metallist do that we will just put Willo and Shola on and hoof them to death!!! ”

Willo ???

Newcastle squad to face Metalist Kharkiv: Shola Ameobi, Vurnon Anita, Gael Bigirimana, Yohan Cabaye, Papiss Cisse, Fabricio Coloccini, Rob Elliot, Dan Gosling, Jonas Gutierrez, Massadio Haïdara, Tim Krul, Sylvain Marveaux, Gabriel Obertan, James Perch, Danny Simpson, Moussa Sissoko, Steven Taylor, Cheick Tiote, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa

• 13 Mister Tuff // Feb 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Whilst Percy does seem upbeat about tonight, I was a bit concerned about him saying that he thinks they will score and we will score.
    Whilst I think it it quite in order for fans and pundits to speculate about the score I’m not so sure about the manager stating publicly the opposition will score. Percy also states (quite rightly) that we do not want any extra time. So as Percy seems relatively confident, and judging by his comments -it may seem he anticipates a possible 1-1 draw. If this comes to fruition leading up to the final whistle, it is going to have the fans at panic stations – if we go ahead -will we go defensive to protect the 1-0 lead – it’s a certainty – but they’ll have to score twice. Got to have a good defence tonight. Another nail biter I suspect.

• 14 rainrix // Feb 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Santon…. i though zenit mainly played tika takka football? Although i’ll take your word about the milan barca game as i didn’t see it :)

I honestly dont remember how karkiv played although i assume they play tikka takka, a bad pitch will hinder them just as much, although in a pinch we have the mighty shola as you say, never know whats hit them 😉

• 15 Mister Tuff // Feb 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM

santon – Willo has not travelled to the Ukraine.

• 16 santonthenewmaldini // Feb 21, 2013 at 2:44 PM

@Mister Tuff no Willo tonight?!?

GUTTED he is my favourite player…..

• 17 JP...from The Rock // Feb 21, 2013 at 2:54 PM

If we PASS ACCURATELY and make the most of our chances (Cisse) then we will will for sure. Somehow we got two very unlucky offside decisions wrong last time and Cisse did take a couple of his chances, he still lacks confidence though. I see this being a close affair and their crowd will be intimidating. I want to see Haidara play but maybe it would be a safer bet to bring him off the bench when he knows the tempo of the game.

I can’t wait for the match to start and if we go through I can see us reaching very far now that we have HBA back 😀

• 18 robin // Feb 21, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I hope predictable Pardew, drops Jonas and keeps Shola, the donkey on the bench. Pardew needs to play his flair players and attack Metalist, from the off but knowing this tactical numpty, he will blow it and go defensive. If we get beat tonight Pardew should be sacked in the morning!

• 19 DokToon // Feb 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM

for gods sake, robin, did pard spurn you? all you do is call for him to be sacked… youre a broken record, what manager could have done anymore with our slate of injuries?

methinks youd be a great man blew fan…

• 20 Mister Tuff // Feb 21, 2013 at 3:05 PM

santon @ 16 – I know you’re joking about Willo.

• 21 santonthenewmaldini // Feb 21, 2013 at 3:12 PM

@Mister Tuff

Defo joking!!!

With no Simpson or Willo the only hoofball merchant in the team is Krul but I am sure he will eventually learn how to pass a ball

• 22 bollance // Feb 21, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Dont forget..

6pm (GMT) KO!!!

Not long to KO

• 23 dannyboy // Feb 21, 2013 at 3:29 PM

pardrew doesnt half talk some drib drap doesnt he ? hes a waffler !
    he reminds me of a boxer talking up his next game, at the end of the day hes all tlak and when the moment comes he goes back on his word and plays a crap team or we dont get the result we need, then like a boxer does he has some excuse to blame
    if we dont go through tonight i will be heavily disapointed , no point of going through the group stage if we cant even get past this round, strongest team please tonight ! and bring of the 3 key players for this sunday if were winning , we should be able to beat southapton anyway ! were at home for gods sake1 and we will have santon debuchy and goofy fully fit!

• 24 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 3:32 PM

dannyboy….” no point of going through the group stage if we cant even get past this round”

If only it was that simple :) Clearly someone has to get knocked out.

Pardew may waffle to some degree, but what is it you want him to say, really?

Bollance…Are we playing tonight? :)

• 25 dannyboy // Feb 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM

ibiza – we are not playing world beaters tonight , we were fortunate to get this team in the draw if we cant beat them over two games , its not good enough simple(wrongly disallowed goal or not)
    i dont want him to say anything inparticular , just dont come across like a prat , my friends who support various other teams have picked up on it , he just comes across like abit of a dimwit, like if you listen to other managers there is a big difference in quality of speech and pre match anaylis!

• 26 bollance // Feb 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Ibiza

Haha mate

Think it was away to Bruge i got the time wrong and missed the first half. Dont want that fate for anyone today!

• 27 pawl250 // Feb 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I think you need to go for it tonight, no holding back! Worry about Southampton tomorrow, today lets get through to final 16!

——————— Krul ———————
    Mbiwa – STaylor – Coloccini – Haidara
    ————– Tiote — Anita —————-
    —- Sissoko — Cabaye — Jonas ——-
    ——————– Cisse ———————

If winning (by atleast 2 goal margin) bring on
    Cisse > Shola
    Cabaye > Bigirmana
    Sissoko > Perch (increase defence)

If losing
    Haidara > Shola (Anita drops to fullback)
    Marveaux > Jonas
    Tiote > Obertan

• 28 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Bollance…To be clear then, KO is in 2hrs and 20 mins, okay? :)

Danny…Please do not think I’m sitting here saying he’s the best thing since sliced bread on either the coaching or press side of things, I just think we’re now in a place where he can’t say or do right by many. To some degree it’s become a little bit of a witch hunt.

You say we’re not playing world beaters and that is correct, but on the same hand, neither are we. I do expect to win, but more than that I want to see effort and belief. That is the minimum I expect from our team and if they do that then there is little more we can expect tbh. Sometimes sh*t happens and there is little anyone can do but give it their all.

Lastly, not sure about the dimwit comment, but each to their own :)

• 29 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Pawl…I like the look of that team, something along the lines of what I would go for. On your subs do you mean Guti off for Marv or should Marv have been in your starting line-up?

I may be tempted to play Obertan on the left, Guti on the right and maybe, I said maybe :), rest either Cabaye or Sissoko and give Anita the start (as you have).

• 30 pawl250 // Feb 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Ibiza Jonas starts, Marv off bench.

I think if you play young Haidara, it will benefit him having Jonas sit infront of him especially if we are on the defensive he puts in a shift!

Sissoko would play wider while Mbiwa is playing as they have a very decent link up. I like the look of them together.

Convinced we can win tonight, but we need to positive!!!

• 31 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Pawl…You’re right with the Hadeira / Jonas link – definitely not a partnership with Obertan (deary me) and I will take your word on the Sissoko / Mbiwa pairing.

We need to keep tight but play positive. Don’t need to make our job any harder by giving away silly goals, but let’s attack with purpose!

• 32 rainrix // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Tbh ibizas got it spot on pards simply in the eyes of some fans cannot win. If he didn’t say anything he’d be accused of running out of ideas, if he says to much he’s clueless. End of the day though no manager is gonna completely win over the entirety of fans.

• 33 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I got something spot on? Hoorah! Must call my parents, they’ll be so proud. I knew if I kept posting and posting that one day I’d get something right.

Now lets see if the lads can make this now very special day even better.

• 34 rainrix // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Ibiza… Im glad you’re so pleased, in light of your achievement the rainrix empire awards you with the order of shola the highest award a lower born can achieve congrats!

• 35 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I have no words right now. I’ve gone all giddy with excitement.

• 36 pawl250 // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I think Pardew needs some time, it was this time last year we were signing songs about him, and his silver locks.

Look lets be honest, he has had a poor season, I am very strong believer injuries have played a massive part in that.

He has not really done anything to warrant the sack, yes poor form but its not all his fault, he is doing his best.

Think fans should back him and the team rather than attacking them. It will only disrupt the club, and specifically the players who we need and want to stay!

Time to show some support, and understand Pardew isnt trying to lose games, if you are in that mindset then it is you that has a problem not Pardew.

Only one thing he has to improve on in my eyes is his substitutes, I mean Shola is our main striker in reserve but sometimes he just bewilders me playing him/Cisse out wide. Why not leave the natural midfield player who Shola replaces stay on the pitch and do a straigh swap for Cisse, unless we are losing?!

Other than that, Pardew has done well as manager, people need to look at our club, the stability and quality of our players right now leads me to think we are in the strongest position the club has been since Bobby, despite the current PL table position.

• 37 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:11 PM

So Rainrix….What’s your score prediction?

Let’s go one further. Goal scorers and times please.

Heck, why don’t you give us a minute by minute breakdown of the game?

• 38 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Pawl…Bloody good post. Not sure where we would have disagreed about things in the past.

Do forgive me for talking on your behalf here, but I read something in there that I feel may cause the natives to kick off.

“Injuries played a massive part” – Not the only reason before you get your whatevers in a twist.

• 39 pawl250 // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Team for Southampton

———————— Krul ———————
    Debuchy – STaylor – Coloccini – Santon
    —————– Tiote — Cabaye ————–
    Ben Arfa ——– Sissoko ——– Gouffran
    ———————- Cisse ———————-

Means the centre of the pitch plays 2 matches in 4 days, woooopie doo! They have 7 days to recover before they play a half drunk Swansea team after their cup win this weekend.

• 40 toonicle // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Optimistic about tonight, hoping to see Cisse put in one or two just to get back for last weeks nonsense by the officials.

• 41 rainrix // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Ibiza…. Asking a lot there mate my clairvoyant skills aint been that good recently. Here goes:

1minute: Match kicks off

3rd minute: Cisse tweaks his hamstring, replaced by herr fuhrer shola.

4th minute: Instant impact as shola scores a magnificent goal dribbling past four defenders and slotting home.

6th minute: tiote breaks willan’s leg, willian is sent off for play acting.

8th minute: Sholas 2nd a header from 30 yards.

9th minute: pards fist pumps.

11th minute Shola scores his 3rd so spectacular it breaks time itself.

90th minute: due to the space time break we’ve time traveled winning the game 3 nil and saving me from having to actually type out 90 minutes worth of actions :)

Not sure on the score i think it could be a draw actually which would see us win. I think its an almost certainty cisse will score, i imagine he’ll be hell bent on revenge.

Thats my thoughts anyway how about you herr ibiza?

• 42 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Do we know who the officials are for tonight?

Should we do a quick whip-round to make them a better offer?

• 43 pawl250 // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Ibiza –

I welcome discussion.

Injuries have been massive this season, I mean

Krul, Colo, STaylor, Cabaye, Tiote, Arfa are our biggest players. Ba and Cisse actually had a good no injury run, but when you need back up players, Gosling, RTaylor, Perch, even Jonas, we had injuries in our back up team too!

I really think we should blame the backroom for not adding depth, a mistake they have held their hands up too.

Think people are blaming the whole thing on Pardew, thats the easy option and not the truth. Think people who understand football would be happy with some stability, ok he is not my first choice but he is actually doing well! BACK OFF! give him the chance to improve further before wielding the axe FFS!

• 44 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Rainrix…I have to say I was a bit disappointed there. Looked like you had done it, but as I scroll down it just stopped. What would Shola think? Actually, I think Shola would be happy enough reading about getting a hat-trick, who cares what else happened? :)

I really am split on this one. Head says really tough game ending 1-1 or 2-1 (either way) or something like that. My heart however feels that after the last game the lads will play their hearts out and really stick it to them and ignite the season.

My head hurts, so I guess I’ll go with my heart. We’ll get 3+ goals (probably not from Shola though).

• 45 toonicle // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Ibiza- Haha that’s not a bad idea! Maybe a package of tickets to a few Toon home games!

• 46 pawl250 // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Btw my post was not aimed at you Ibiza it was those that constantly complain and have no clue about football. They are sheep and follow a brainless moron who thinks NUFC should win every game no problem!

• 47 rainrix // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Ibiza… Sorry I’m generally a disappointment, if i had the patience and time i would have done it but i finish work in like 2 minutes and didn’t have the time.

Anyway Im off enjoy the game everyone!

• 48 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Pawl…I’m with you on this 100%. For me the biggest factors in our downfall this season has been lack of incomings in the summer and injuries since. I did however claim, most likely 1st September, that I thought we had enough and would continue where we left off. The board, and I, were wrong :)

My thing with the Pardew haters, for want of a better term, is whilst he may be far from spectacular and can certainly be improved on, what is the big rush and panic? The guys overall has done pretty well and whilst this season has looked suspect at best, there are decent reasons for that, as has been shown by recent results since the new players arrived (which pardew did request in the summer).

He needs to be given a break imo, at least wait until the summer at this point of the season. Who do people think we’ll be getting as his replacement?

• 49 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Toonicle…Watching the toon might be seen as a punishment though :)

Rainrix…Enjoy the game and don’t be too hard on yourself. Shola is a forgiving being…unless you’re a mackem.

• 50 tequilamag // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Ibiza, I think we both know if we lose tonight it will be Willos fault for thinking bad thoughts and Pardew for well being Pardew.

• 51 DokToon // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM

i did hear stateside that NUFC will enter discussions to a certain man named Ibiza as a potential replacement to pards… when the interviwer asked how ibiza would direct the football team, ibiza was heard to reply, “no worries, im ITK, and furthermore, since i am the pope, i will bestow holy papal blessings on tyneside,and they shall not falter”…

also heard the papal hat will be replaced by a helmet with two beer holders and straws….

stay tooned…

• 52 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder

Krul, Simpson, Coloccini, Yanga-Mbiwa, Haidara, Anita, Cabaye, Sissoko, Marveaux, Cisse, Shola Ameobi #nufc say http://uefa.com

Interesting. Would uefa.com no already?

• 53 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:45 PM

know* AAAAHHHH

• 54 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Dok…He sounds wise and obviously knows his stuff. I’d back him to succeed.

• 55 rainrix // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Had to cone back ibiza that the squad thats showing on SSN. Interesting team. I think he has one eye on saturday with santon saylor an tiote out.

• 56 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Uefa.com…then have our bench as..

Elliot
    Perch
    Taylor
    Gosling
    Guti
    Bigi
    Obertan

• 57 rainrix // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Just hope to christ cisse isnt on the right i’ll bust a nerve if he is 😐

• 58 tequilamag // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM

It`s almost like Pardew has picked a team to drive Check the Toastie insane

• 59 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Rainrix…Don’t miss the first 12 minutes….just you keep your eyes on Shola….3 NIL! We’re gonna win 3 NIL!

• 60 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Tequila… :)

Rainrix…That thought did cross my mind. I hope Cisse plays up top with Shola to play off is that’s the line up. Neither of them are wingers. But I shall remain calm…Positive thought and all that :)

• 61 Burkey16 // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM

eufa is missing Tiote on the bench

• 62 rainrix // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Ibiza… If it does i need to be worshipped as god :) anyway im running before the neggars get here cya!

• 63 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Rainrix…I was having such a good time I forgot they would be arriving soon :)

Let’s see how things work out, much like I’m optimistic about the game, i’m optimistic the blog will remain a happy place…okay, I really need to stop drinking now.

Burkey…He’s an easily missable guy.

• 64 boater // Feb 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Natural balance to this team is debatable but the front 6 are all capable of scoring goals. Think we’ll do it.

• 65 TorqToon // Feb 21, 2013 at 5:02 PM

SHOLA??????? WTF !!!!!

We’ve lost already!!! Pardew has NO idea what he is doing!!!

Utter joke!!!

Still too soon??? C’mon lads, I’ve been trying to time it right all day!!
    :-)

Gotta say, if Tiote isn’t in the squad it’s an excellent call. The ref for tonight’s game is notorious for his yellow and red cards! Tiote wouldn’t stand a chance!

• 66 robin // Feb 21, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Well at least Pardew, has dropped Jonas, Simpson will get 45 minutes to see how he goes and then Taylor, will come on. So its 2-1 to NUFC, and Pardew, will dodge the bullet for now!

• 67 TorqToon // Feb 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Ibiza – Go home sir, you are clearly drunk! Haha

• 68 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM

It’s just actually dawned on me…no Jonas starting!! That has to cheer some people up.

Boater…Balance is a bit odd within the team, I wonder how they’ll be set up, maybe in a more typical attacking 4-3-3. No winger at all, so I guess passing around the middle so maybe a 4-3-1-2 or something. Possibly a 4-4-2 with no wingers…

• 69 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Robin…Wow, so little hate in that post. People must be optimistic this evening or maybe I actually am drunk?

Torq… 😉

• 70 DokToon // Feb 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM

(yawns at yet another brilliant post by robin the doomsayer)

puts down the shots of sarcasm and lifts a beer…

• 71 obatoyou // Feb 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Found mega good stream online.
    We’re playin well