The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Cabaye – We Are Focused – We All Want To Go Through

9:25 am, Thursday, February 21st, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

It was a long five hour air flight to the Ukraine yesterday and it seems the reporters on the flight took the opportunity to interview a number of our players during that time.

yohan cabaye at

Yohan Cabaye – focused on game

It seems obvious now that Alan Pardew will play a very strong side tonight against Metalist Kharkiv,  in an attempt to get through to the round of the last 16.

And a win or a score draw will do exactly that, but it will not be easy, and our lads will need to be at the top of their form to do it.

This is what Yohan Cabaye said when interviewed by both the Daily Mirror and the Newcastle Journal:

“It was good to see new French players coming to Newcastle. I was happy. The club chose French players and I was not worried because I knew the players who came to the club and I knew their qualities.”

“I know they will give us a chance to look up in the league and to play well in the Europa League as well.” “The game is very important for us and the players and the fans.” “We are focused on the game and we all want to go through and to play at the next stage.”

“The Europa League is a big competition and we can play against good teams and get more experience and improve in the Premier League.”

I have to admit that I’m surprised that Alan Pardew is playing such a strong side tonight, since we are hardly clear of the relegation zone yet – but if we can get through tonight then that will bring huge confidence to the squad – but the game I want to win is on Sunday against Southampton – and it has to be a win not a draw.

The worst thing would be if the game tonight has to go to overtime if it ends up 0-0 after 90 minutes –  and we lose – but a Newcastle goal (or Metalist goal)  can stop that from happening.

I also hope we can get through this tie tonight, and two wins in these two games  would be phenomenal.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News · Yohan Cabaye

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 rainrix // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:29 AM

1st?

Come at me blog po-lice ;)

• 2 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Rainrix…I thought that was you now?

• 3 ayecanny // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM

We have to go for the win..

look at arsenal – put a poor team against blackburn – get beat.
    put there best team against munich – get beat

if we win today happy days, lose sunday it wont be the worst thing – look forward to playing hannover or anzi in the next round and try climb up the table..

will be hard tonight in the ukraine but i’m confident off a win!!

1-3

• 4 rainrix // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Ibiza… Yeah but we still get the peasants that dispute my complete rule and the truth of shola. ;)

How have you found running things in my absence? Im gonna guess it hasn’t exactly been a den of positivity this week?

• 5 TorqToon // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Match day!!!!! Boom!!! Come on lads!! Time to do the business!

Also…for anybody who wants a laugh…

Personal highlights;

Carroll’s transfer fee magically dropped to £33mil
    Ben Arfa swap link
    Newcastle willing to accept “fair prices” for their players ie AC deal

Those scousers are simply deluded!!! Haha

• 6 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Rainrix…I only returned to the blog yesterday. We really need to schedule our time away better, next time we may return to no blog at all.

Ayecanny…No matter who starts, I want to see that desire to win for the full 90 minutes. We’re in the game with a decent chance, really need to get at them.

• 7 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Torq…Bless them. Always good for a laugh are the scousers.

• 8 hotdog // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Morning fellas. Isn’t it great not to be discussing willo……..ohh damn what have I started ;-)

Tough game tonight but I’m having a bet on cisse to bag 2 goals

Ben arfa needs to be on the bench against saints IMO

• 9 rainrix // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:39 AM

ibiza… Its mistakes like that, that makes it look like we don’t know what we’re doing, someones getting flayed for this, just to divert attention away from our horrid HR policies :|

• 10 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM

If it isn’t that mustard covered fella…good morning to you.

Willo will be a big miss tonight, set plays are going to be difficult without him :)

Cisse to score tonight for me too.

• 11 Tsunki // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Willo was that? Did someone mention Willo? Whats that you say about Willo? Has he cost us the game already?

• 12 rainrix // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Torq… Is it bad that rebecca stalked me onto that site as well, christ shes relentless :)

• 13 Grafton83 // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Really hope Cisse has the GPS in his boots switched on tonight, destination back of the net. He will get chances I’m sure, would be great to see him get a brace to make things right from the first leg.

• 14 hotdog // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Ibiza you blog demon, hope your well kidda

Forget I mentioned Willo please. Life and nufc looks much rosier without him :-)

Just seen a clip of the lads training last night and it looks bloody cold

Cabaye must have been carrying that hernia before he had that op as he is looking like a quality player again.

• 15 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Tsunki…No no, Pardew has ensured he has a scapegoat in the form of Simmo tonight. People have already condemned us to a loss if he starts :)

Hotdog..Blog demon….like it. Having had a double hernia, I can imagine it would have a pretty big impact on a player, even though you can soldier on.

• 16 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Rainrix..Mistakes? Shh….just burn the discriminating evidence…i mean, let’s carefully file the documents of our wonderfully run setup we have going on here.

Willo Willo Willo.

There, that should throw them off.

• 17 hotdog // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Ibiza. Yeah I was just thinking how long he was carrying it as he didn’t play we’ll at the start of the season.

Right I better get off to work, remember lads early ko 6.00 HWTL

• 18 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Hotodg…It would seem for long enough. Good to have him back to his normal dreamboat self.

Have a good one….alarm is set.

• 19 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:59 AM

What time is the match today?

• 20 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 21, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Mutiny…6pm GMT

• 21 TorqToon // Feb 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Rain – That Rebecca can be a manipulative little cow at times! Stay strong my friend!! :-)

So…..

WILLO????? Oh my god!! Pardew is clueless!!! He has no idea what he is doing! We are doomed to relegation and bombing out of the Europa league! Club is a disgrace!!!!!!!!!

What??? Too soon for all that?? Ok I will wait for the teams to be released!! :-)

Good day to you all, gents!!

• 22 Grafton83 // Feb 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Have you seen the pctures of us training from the Chronicle, it looks very cold, Tiote in particular doesn’t look too happy. He looks like the lads in cool runnings when they first arrive for the winter olympics.

• 23 stuart no9 // Feb 21, 2013 at 10:03 AM

ayecanny @3 so you would rather see us relagated in favor of winning the europa cup ??????? i just cant fathom that out ! losing all that money rhat the prem brings to the club in favor of a poxy cup? mmmm strange to say the least!

• 24 Munster Mag // Feb 21, 2013 at 10:09 AM

The Europa cup used to be the UEFA Cup – a cup for clubs just outside of Champions League standard. Thats no poxy cup. I think Pardew is dead right. Lets go for it.

• 25 toonaids // Feb 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM

i dreamt it was 4-3 to Metalist.

• 26 stuart no9 // Feb 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM

munster @ 24 its a poxy cup in terms of getting relegated . losing all that money. playing second rate football next season, probably losing all our class players, attendances dropping by about 10 or 15000 every home game, class players not wanting to come to the club – all for a cup that , lets be honest we are not going to win- even if we get past this round are we going to get much further ??????? still a good idea is it ?? think about it! i know what i would rather have.

• 27 JAMSHA // Feb 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Program Details
    UEFA Europa League 2012/13
    Metalist Kharkiv Vs Newcastle United Full Match Repeat at 3:30 am India on Ten Action

• 28 santonthenewmaldini // Feb 21, 2013 at 10:28 AM

We wont get relegated in fact by the end of March we might have enough points to be mathematically safe as its going to be a lot closer this year so 37 or 38 points will probably keep a team up

We will have more points than that by the end of this month as we will beat Southampton , Stoke and Wigan as our fully fit squad is miles better than any of those teams in fact Sissoko, Gouffran, Arfa, Cisse and Cabaye could potentially tear them apart if Pardew takes the shackles off

Swansea will be celebrating a cup win so we will probably catch them cold as well

Will be gutted if we got those results with no Europa too look forward too?!?

The teams that will go down will probably be QPR, Villa and Wigan

But I can see the likes of Norwich, Sunderland and Fulham struggling to the last game or 2 as they are all in free fall and are pretty poor teams as well

• 29 davyboy32 // Feb 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Morning lads,

I’m convinced Pards is going for three at the back tongiht. Mbwia – Collo – Tayls

What do you reckon? Can’t see him giving Haidara first start in the Ukraine.

On itv tonight?

• 30 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 21, 2013 at 10:37 AM

@stuart

Where did Ayecanny say he was happy to be relegated, my computer mustn’t be showing that as all I see is that it wouldn’t be the end of the world if we lost. It wouldn’t be. I don’t think anyone wants us to get relegated whether we win a cup or not.

I’m happy, as are most fans to go for it tonight. The cup may not be held in high esteem on these shores but it is in the rest of Europe. We should be capable of putting strong teams out in both games.

• 31 stuart no9 // Feb 21, 2013 at 11:10 AM

geordie @ 30 ” its not the end of the world if we get beat ” whys that ? where do we make it up if we cant beat soton at home ? why make it more difficult for our selves than it already is? by going for a cup that we wont win . we are not man u – chelsea – spurs who have the capabilities of doing both – we are nufc , its 1 or the other . if we get beat tonight , so what ? concentrate on the league. what would you rather have? prem next season or europa this season ??

• 32 Ian Toon // Feb 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Lilongwe– I have been happily going along with your posts on the grounds that you know what your on about . So what exactly do you mean by ” I have been known to be wrong”. Does this mean I have to start thinking for myself. For the record – strongest side tonight with the boost in confidence that advancing brings carrying us to victory on Sunday as well. We have the squad . Arsenal ended up with the worst of both worlds by being overly cautious . Cometh the hour Cometh
    the toon.

previous post: Ben Arfa To Be Held Back For Swansea?

next post: It’s All About Picking Up Remnants Of Our Season – Pardew