Metalist Kharkiv vs Newcastle – Match Preview

Metalist Kharkiv

The game tonight against Metalist Kharkiv will decide whether Newcastle are still part of the Europa League competition or not – and our lads need a score draw or a win to get through tonight. If the scores are level at 0-0 after 90 minutes the game will go to extra time, and if they are still level at 0-0 after 30 minutes of extra time, then penalties will be necessary.

Since we have a tough game against Southampton on Sunday we have to hope we can get through this game in the first 90 minutes – and we have a chance to do that, but it will be very difficult against a very good side, and in front of a sell-out crowd of close to 40,000 at the Metalist Stadium.

And Alan Pardew has taken a very strong squad to the Ukraine for tonight’s game, and it looks like he will be going all out to try to get through this tie – but what side he will line up against Southampton on Sunday afternoon, in the early kick-off game, remains to be seen – but we really need to win that game too.

Here’s the side we think Alan will turn out tonight:

Krul
Yanga-Mbiwa Coloccini (c) Taylor (S) Simpson
Marveaux Cabaye Tiote Perch Gutierrez
Sissoko
Cisse
Subs: Elliot Haidara Williamson Bigirimana Anita Obertan Ameobi (Sh)

That’s a strong side with a good bench – what would your team be tonight?

ud in ukraine

Alan Pardew and the squad training at Metalist Stadium

Newcastle have only won once away from home all season, at Villa Park last month, but we have three draws on the road in the Europa League, and Metalist have lost two game at home in the Ukraine Premier League this season.

And this is what Alan Pardew said about the game:

“The atmosphere will probably be the first time we really experience a hostile crowd in this competition.” “But we have players who have played on the international stage and are used to that scenario, so I don’t envisage a problem. If I put my best team up against any team in this competition, I would feel confident.”

And the Metalist manager 62 year-old Myron Markevich, who has managed 14 clubs, including the Ukraine National side since starting his management career back in 1984 – seems to think Newcastle still have a decent chance of going through, and he’s not under-estimating us:

“I think it’s level. Our chances to win are equal and our chances to go through are equal.” “As I said after the first game, Newcastle are a very good team, and they shouldn’t be in the (Premier League) position they are in. They should be in the top 10, minimum.”

“We had a hard game in England, when we felt we lacked game practice, but everything will be decided tomorrow evening.” “The mood is great, the same as it was in England. Newcastle are a very good team. They are coming here with a full squad and we will see what happens.”

“It will be a great atmosphere. It will be like in England because English fans also know their football and also know how to support.” “Our fans support very well and are very passionate, and I think tomorrow you will like the game very much.”

In our poll, 64% of our readers think we will be able to advance to the next round of this competition.

Will Newcastle Advance In Europa League Next Thursday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

And two out of three readers think Alan Pardew should start his strongest side tonight.

Should Alan Pardew Play His Strongest Side Possible On Thursday At Metalist Kharkiv?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

It’s now less than seven hours to kick off time – so we hope for the very best, and with a little bit of luck (which we didn’t have last Thursday) – we can get through this tie.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• ichrisho

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM

ED – Do we have 12 players tonight? Seems like you have 4 at the back, 5 in midfield and then 2 up front… awesome.. what tactics… 🙂 4-5-2… HWTL… :@)

• coccolini

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM

my mistake sorry! the decimal system seriously confuses me. Last night we were at 4.75 to win. So i guess that’s 3.75/1. Still, I find that pretty incredible. We should have won the first leg by 2 or 3 goals, and all the noises i’ve heard coming from the team are positive, they seem up for it

• Markaccus

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM

That’s a VERY strong team, given that it has an extra player in it!! 4-5-1-1!

• rainrix

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Well according to this:

The LB spot is between anita perch or haidara and by the sounds of it mbiwa will keep his spot at RB so no simmo thankfully 🙂

• tdt

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Nice try Ed! I’d like to see this team tonight:

—————-Krul—————
    Mbiwa-Coloccini-S.Taylor-Haidara
    ————Cabaye Tiote———–
    –Marveaux–Sissoko–Gutierrez–
    —————-Cisse————–

Subs: Elliot Williamson Bigirimana Perch Anita Obertan Ameobi (Sh)

Not sure which 2 or the 3 wingers (Marv, Gut and Obertan) will start. Neither Obertan or Marv have shown 90min performances lately.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Cocco,
    Yeah, we were 7/2 (4.5 in decimal) this morning first thing, so must be a little money going our way. I expect money to come for them later given our away record though.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:19 AM

TDT,
    I reckon tat line up will be spot on. I would definitely play tiote today as I would rather see Anita start against Southampton to combat their fluidity

• weg

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM

That’s is a strong team. Not many teams can manage to put out a team like that. Although Man Utd usually have 12 men on the pitch!
    Tonight I’m going for a 2-1 win for the Toon!

• ichrisho

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:26 AM

11am arrives and so… predictions…??? I say 1-1… Cisse scores first and then we have a tough 30 mins to watch at the end when they equalise….

• toonincheek

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Like to see Anita at LB – he is quality although it doesn’t help him when he is asked to play in so many different positions.
    Still, this time, I think he’d be happy just to start.

Anita at LB would be a good start to controlling the game and then . . . . . . . .
    When Tiote picks up a yellow, move Anita to mid and bring on Haidara/Perch, depending on how the game is going.

• ichrisho

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Krul
    Simmo Collo Saylor Hiadara
    Tiote Mbiwa
    Sissoko Cabaye Marv
    Cisse

• ichrisho

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Or replace Anita with Mbiwa…

• chris_g

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Why are people putting Williamson on the bench? He didn’t travel to the Ukraine. Gosling is the other player in the squad, not Willo.

• santonthenewmaldini

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I think we will win 2 nil Marveux and Cisse to score

They were very average and when we stepped it up with quick passing and movement they could not wait to get off the pitch and all this talk about them being physical we bullied them for large portions of it they tried things like swinging elbows and other things but Dreamboat, Tiote Jonas and Sissoko kicked them up and down the pitch!!

They will be forced to come at us because the crowd will expect them to attack which will suit us as Sissoko and Cisse can exploit the space in behind

Just hope there is no unsavoury incidents with racism from their fans and I hope our travelling support are looked after as well

• Harley

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I’ve got £20 on a win and £10 on a draw.
    16/5 and 5/2

£64 if we win and £25 if we draw. I’m screwed if we lose.

Oh and message to myself. Next time I book tickets for the theatre in Sunderland make sure I check the football schedule first!!!!

• davyboy32

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Lilongwe Geordie..

Yeah I think you are right. I remember Pards saying in January he may play 3 at the back on occasion. I forgot Anita can play left back. I reckon that is the more likely. Although, same as you, I’d like to see Haidara sooner than later.

• coccolini

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM

so glad the game is at 6, don’t think i could hold out til 8!

• TorqToon

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:14 PM

GUTI!!!?????

Ed out!!!!!!!!!!

Still too soon?? 🙂

• darrenfletcher88

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:14 PM

10a on cissie first scorer tonight, 6/1 I got right some wrongs from last week!! Come on the toona

• TorqToon

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I’d love for Cisse to get back on the scoring path tonight! Was extremely unlucky last week and I hope he comes good. He deserves a break!

• Munster Mag

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Completely agree. Cisse’s honesty deserves a break. Whats with Simmo on the left ????

• santonthenewmaldini

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I would go for this team :

Krul
    Mbiwa
    Taylor
    Colo
    Haidara
    Cabaye DM
    Tiote DM
    Jonas LM
    Sissoko RM
    Marveux AM
    Cisse CF

Think this would provide the right level of hard work and attacking threat and protection for Haidara Could also replace Tiote with Anita but can always put him on later

And before anyone says about Sissoko on the right wing he has played there before and in every game for us he has played there at some point in the game him and Marveux could swap positions with ease and it would allow Marveux to drift inside as well and have shots

If we can get an early goal and silence the crowd that would be amazing

• rainrix

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Simmo wont be starting pards has said it’ll be either perch anita or haidara on the left and mbiwa on the right no worries.

• geordie157

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Any ideas if/when Swansea tickets will come on sale for members? doesnt say its sold out

• geordiemark

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:36 PM

am going for a 1-1 draw tonight that would be enough for us to go through on the way goals rule, think id rest a few players tonight for the southampton game 3 points is more important then what europe is

• ichrisho

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM

@ 24 – they are gone already.

• Munster Mag

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM

No way would I play Sissoko right side. Marveaux wont work hard enough in the centre. We need to pressure the ball all over the pitch and get their fans on their case.

• Toondog2

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Ed Glad it is good news on the Medical front
    You cant keep a good Geordie down
    Howay the Lads

• Munster Mag

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Ed well done on the blood tests. Howay the lad!

• check the toastie

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Hope he picks this side.

…………………….Krul……………………
    Mbiwa…..Saylor…Collo……Anita..
    ……………..Perch…Cabaye………….
    ……..Marv…….Sissoko…..Jonas……
    …………………….Cisse…………………

Tiote doesnt warrent a place currently, needs to give his head a shake has been poor all year.

Bench, Obertan, Tiote, Shola, rest of them. shame campbell hasnt been took, would offer something different from bench. Anita and Marv deserve a run out. Both will create or potentially score goals. Anita in Belguim anyone, remember that beauty.

And people should stop showing their ignorance and stupidity by actually putting Simpson in there side. He has no future at the club and has previously proven he is unprofessional and talentless. Ed included…grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• josh190889

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Following Eds principle, I’d like to see this team tonight:

—————-Kru, Harper, Elliotl—————
    Mbiwa, Simpson Williamson,-Coloccini-S.Taylor-Haidara, Santon
    ————Cabaye Bigirimana Anita Perch Tiote———–
    –Marveaux Obertan Ben Arfa–Sissoko–Gutierrez–
    —————-Cisse Ameobi Campbell ————–

Only concern is we might get outnumbered in midfield!

• Mister Tuff

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I’ll be surprised if both Cabs and Sissoko start or play a full 90 minutes, bearing in mind possible fatigue for the Soton game. If Percy does start them both it shows a bit of intent to really “have a go”. If we are winning I suspect either may be withdrawn after 65-70 mins.
    Cisse to score in either a 1-0 win or 2-1 win.
    Tricky if we’re winning 1-0 and Percy decides to shut up shop -although they would have to score 2 to win.
    I am intrigued to know the team and what the tactics are throughout the game (bearing in mind the game on Sunday).

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:29 PM

4 and a half hours people…At what time should I stop pretending I’m going to get any work done and just start drinking?

Ed…Can I get a poll to answer that?

• Earl

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Some of my friends have traveled to the Ukraine for the game tonight. They were saying the atmosphere around the area is pretty intimidating. Hope there’s no trouble tonight. Its gunna be a huge test of the players characters playing in these conditions!

• bills-son

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Knowing the luck we have we’ll go out to a blatantly offside goal after having a blatantly onside goal disallowed in the first leg.

I think this game could be made for Sissoko. They will throw everything at us and we can hit them on the break if we get the ball to Sissoko quickly after we break down their attacks.

I’m going for 2.1 to us.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Josh@31…Hate that line up. With Simmo in there we’ll definitely lose 🙂

• DokToon

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:48 PM

ibiza, start now, and while youre at it, have one for me, icant see the match till 4pm central time, but i am taping it…

HWTL…

i favor a 2-1 toon win…

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Dok….Well seeing as alcohol is within your profession I best take your advice.

Really need one of those drinking hats that holds 2 beers and has straws. And people think I have no ambition.

I don’t expect tonight be easy, but I think with the injustice of last weeks result all our players will be well up for it and I think they’ll pull off one of our best performances of the season. Is 0-6 a bit too much to expect? I knew I should of held off the drinking a little longer…

• JAMSHA

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Program Details
    UEFA Europa League 2012/13
    Metalist Kharkiv Vs Newcastle United
    Full Match Repeat at 3:30 am India on
    Ten Action

• DokToon

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM

ibiza, im not just a fan of the toon, trust me, im a doktoor, lol… and i can easily find you one of those hats.. let me know where to send it, 🙂