Players’ Ambitions Will Propel Newcastle Forward

We’ve been impressed with both the skill, temperament and attitude of our new five French players we recruited last month, in what could turn out to be one of the best recruiting transfer windows for Newcastle in a long long time.

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa metalist

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – epitomizes the new attitude in the Newcastle squad

The players are not only immediately committed to the Newcastle cause, but all five have shown some top form in their appearances to date – and they and the club, and the rest of the squad need to be complimented on helping the new lads have settled down so quickly.

Players like Yanga-Mbiwa and others have said they want to win the Europa League,  and after the disappointment of losing out on two good goals by Papiss Cisse last thursday, we still managed to beat Metalist Kharkiv 1-0 last night, and that was only their second loss at home in their previous 10 European matches.

It was a great result, and some reports today have labeled it an historic win by this new-look Newcastle side.

Of course it will mean very little if we don’t win against Southampton on Sunday afternoon in front of a sold-out St. James’ Park, because the truth is that we are still in some relegation trouble,  but nothing like a couple or three quick wins will not fix.

But with the skills and ambitions of our new players,  coupled with those of players like Yohan Cabaye and Ben Arfa, there’s no real reason why Newcastle cannot start challenging for some trophies again – and maybe this season in the Europa League?

That would have been almost unthinkable a short few weeks ago.

But the way the lads have played in the last five games we wouldn’t put it past this current squad – not at all.

They were magnificent last night – fact!

Howay The Lads!!

Marc Gillham is from Durham and is at Hull University studying business and marketing. He is engaged in a project to help non-league clubs make decisions regarding sponsorship. Please help Marc with his research by filling out this questionnaire – thanks.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Big Pappa Cissé

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Lets hope so

• toonLYF

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM

flawless from him last night…and it’s a long time since i’ve been able to say that about a defender in black and white.

• VTnufc

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM

LET’S DO THIS!

• santonthenewmaldini

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM

We really need a win against Southampton though if we do which i think we can be capable of and beat Swansea on their cup final hangover then we are safe from relegation pretty much as we will beat Stoke and Wigan surely ?

A fully fit team with the likes of Arfa to come in could see us get to at least the semi finals and then anything is possible if we get the form back that saw us win 6 games in a row playing sexy football we will be a match for any team left in the competition over 2 legs

Also if we win this weekend we will go above the Mackems as they will lose their game!!!

• toonLYF

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM

do we find out the two teams we could potentially play in the quarter-finals before or after we play Anzhi?

• Alan Pas-de-clue

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM

yanga mbiwa was a title winning french captain and is a full french international and some people still didnt believe he was class!

• Nick 69

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM

No the draw for quarters is 15th March, after both Anzhi games

• Alan Pas-de-clue

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM

not liking the prospect of lazio chelsea inter as our path to success!

• toonLYF

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM

not like it really matters who we get, as by the quarters everyone can sense the trophy and it pretty much becomes a level playing ground.

• toonLYF

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Alan Pas-de-clue….it’s strange that you don’t mention Spurs or Benfica? They’re both better sides than Lazio and Milan, and also either Milan or Spurs will definitely be out. come next round.

We know we can beat Chelsea or Spurs on our day, so i feel we have little to worry about by means of teams, as i said by the quarters anyone can win it – any side could beat any side left in the competition.

• Nick 69

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I more scared of a tie with Spurs, Zenit and Benfica than I would be of Inter,Lazi and Chelsea. Chelsea are very beatable, as are the other two.

• Blaydon-Toon

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I have to say all are signings have been excellent in the games played, Sissoko has given us a new dimension with his surging runs past the oppositions midfield ! Gouffran has surprised me – seems to be a willing runner holds the ball up well and has a good football brain ! Mbiwa looks class very solid reads the game well and plays it simple ! Dreamboat part deux up and down the right and has a good final ball – take note Danny Simpson and haidara was very good on his debut ! Have to say was never confident with Ba as a penalty taker but Shola is one of the best around has he ever missed from the spot ?

• Nick 69

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM

if we get past Anzhi we really should be confident against any remaining teams. Anzhi are 2nd favs, have some very good players, and Russia is always a very difficult place to play. If we overcome them then we have every chance

• Nick 69

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Blaydon – I said the same thing last night, I cannot ever remember Shola missing from the spot. I always used to cringe when he stepped up years ago, just because it was Shola. But for the last 4/5 years the only thing iv been confident about with Shola is his penalties. He never fails

• Alan Pas-de-clue

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:00 PM

also say we did get to the final, can anyone get tickets?

• Nick 69

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM

you’ll get tickets if you have the required loyalty points to apply

• Alan Pas-de-clue

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:03 PM

nick 69

loyalty points doesnt sound good for me 🙁

• toonLYF

Debuchy—Taylor—Coloccini—Santon

————Cabaye—Tiote————-

Ben Arfa——–Sissoko——-Gouffran

——————Cisse—————–

• Blaydon-Toon

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Agreed Nick I seem to remember him stepping up after the great Alan Shearer ( who missed a few ) retired and think oh no don’t let Shola take it but he is cool and clinical I certainly don’t know what Sid he is going to go and cannot remember a keeper getting near any of his spot kicks !

• rainrix

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I honestly dont think there is any easy games left for us in the europa league. It was going to happen eventually that we’d have to face stronger teams. On the flip side we’re a match for anyone on our day. Europa victory isn’t too far out of the realms of possibility.

• toonLYF

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM

regarding penalty’s, i imagine our order will look like this…

Shola Ameobi
    Yohan Cabaye
    Hatem Ben Arfa

• Transfer Sage

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Shola is very good technically with shooting, strikes the ball well when not facing pressure, when hurried not as good but give him time in open play or from the spot and he is clinical.

He is also one of only a few in our team who backs himself on his weaker foot.

Not fantastic but he has a good shot on him.

• toonLYF

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:32 PM

if European competition had it’s own transfer market, Shola would be worth about 35m.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Transfer Sage
    Yeah Shola’s technically good but has lazy aspect to his game – take last night the penalty If he was in the same position as Sissoko – would he have chased the backpass that led to the penalty – Don’t think so.

Overall a great display kept there heads under some cynical tactics from opposition.

Simpson had one of his best games in a black ‘n’ white shirt and Haidara looks a good buy. Krul back to his best

• Blaydon-Toon

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Shola has never missed a pen just seen it on Facebook !

• Dannyo

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Krul out for 6 weeks 🙁

• Big Pappa Cissé

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:09 PM

@ Jamsha

Shame if its true. Good thing we have Elliot as back up as I think he is a really good keeper as well.

• WWYCD

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Apparently its 5 weeks without Krul according to the twitter verse….Harps or Elliot

• WWYCD

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Dannyo
    Is it true ur writing for the ‘fans’ these days?

• roshan MAGPIE

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:16 PM

hope its not true abt krul being injured for 5 weeks

• Dannyo

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

@WWYCD
    Aye mate, but I know naught, nor have I portrayed it as such 😛
    There’s another fella that “owns” the account though.
    It’s only the two of us atm.
    I usually take what’s already been said and try to create debate around it.
    Started doing it 1 of Jan.

• Novocastrian66

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I think our lack of fire power will scupper our cances of winning the Euro League. Last night’s match was a game of containment with the intent to pinch a goal.
    In a more free flowing game I think we will be out gunned. A lot of the teams left have Champions league squads and aspirations. We’re some way off that.

• WWYCD

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM

roshan
    I would be surprised if it isnt looked a nasty hit he took and it bent his leg violently

Dannyo
    Haha fair one mate must admit am not a huge promoter of the fans though no offence some of the things they have done in the past dont sit well with me but hey gan on with the debate lad 🙂

• DevonToon

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:25 PM

We have just as decent squad as any team left in it… I said the other day we just lack that star like some other teams have eg bale. Somebody asked me what about ben arfa… Well he’s defo got the skills, but where it matters (decisions), he fails more than he should. Mata for eg makes the rite choice 8-9/10, ben arfa 5-6/10. Hopefully ben afra will reach that plateau we all know he can reach! All these teams are tough! Just ask ajax and napoli, who lost to steaua and plzen. We got just as much chance as anyone left! If we progressed id hate to draw an english team, love to get benfica or inter! Cant wait to play anzhi 1st though, real decent team like! But who can boast a midfield 3 as good as ours? Tiote – sissoko – cabaye! No one! I dont even think its my toon goggles either! We have a spanking mid!

• Dannyo

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM

@WWYCD
    Aye, you’re quite right, there’s been some blunders, I’ve seen em too. I remember the Clark Carlisle thing best, lol, dunno if you caught that.
    There was only him for a little while before I joined it, and there’s a reason for that.
    Think he’ll look to “re-launch” in the summer again. He’s a sound guy though, but there’s been a few swings and misses here and there.
    He’s not using the website anymore, too much to update.

But it’s fun, I get to tweet a bit with the journos and they feed us some stuff, and we get asked by the club to help out on certain things.
    You also get to know how much of the journo stuff works in relation to the club, which is very interesting I must add.

What’s your twitter account if you don’t mind me asking?

• WWYCD

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Dannyo
    Aye fair one I think the amount of people they had at one point working out of the account probably added to the issues I know a few of the other accounts I like had run ins with it and it didnt end well. Was that the fake quoting fiasco?

Aye I can see that being interesting, decent way to make some contacts in the industry Id imagine.

Its @CodeMonkeyNUFC I only use it for following like

• Dannyo

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM

@WWYCD
    Yeah, he’s very thorough though, he’s got guidlines over a few pages set up in PDF’s and whatnot.
    But it seems there were a few clashes over a period of time. They cooporated with this TV channel too, can’t remember its name atm.
    So they were involved in lots of stuff.

Mark Douglas follows my personal account even, lol. I’m in bloody Norway but I feel closer to the club than ever 🙂

And ye, that was the fake quote thing, there was a fallout on that I believe.

I’ll be giving you a follow now. You should do more than follow mate, you’re the voice of bloody reason, lol.

• t00ntime

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM

lol people talking about the next round need to stay grounded. First challange is southampton, if we lose to them we might not be sending a strong team to russia. BPL survival is more important and stoke, swansea, wigan and saints are beatable. If we lose to saints i cant see AP risking losing to stoke+wigan too. So for me this match VS saints is just as important as VS anzhi.
    Also machackelaka (as u may of guessed i cant spell their name) are a good team they have a bit of pace too so we cant turn off for a second. I hope we do make it to the final cause its 5minutes away from my house lol. But i’m not gonna get excited. (well till hba puts his shirt ln again cause then i cant help myself :P)

• 89Norcal

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM

DevonToon
    lol toon goggles are always a worry, but I sometimes eavesdrop on podcasts/articles from other clubs, and quite a few were jealous of us getting the likes of Sissoko, Cabaye, and Mbiwa.

As long as Tiote keeps his cool, we have a very class midfield. Stick Anita in there and it’s one of the best in the EPL.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Ian Toon

You really need to crawl away somewhere. You lost all credibility when you previously ”invented” posters to support your arguments.

Yes we have been much better since the arrival of the French players and I’m as thrilled about that as the next person and have acknowledged the fact, but please don’t do the big I told you so about Pardew.

We recorded the worst run in our premiership history. Previous criticism of Pardew and our awful hoof ball and appalling run of results was very much justified.

Unlike some people I don’t want to see Pardew fail, just to make a point as I believe we have some great players
    that hopefully Pardew can work productively with from now on for the greater good.

If someone can emerge from adversity I couldn’t be more pleased, but Ian you are one pompous………..