The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Trust Me – I Want To Win Tomorrow More Than Anyone – Pardew

10:52 am, Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

Five months before he was hired by Newcastle in December of 2011 to take over from gentleman Chris Hughton, , he was fired at Southampton by the Executive Chairman and former Italian Banker Nicola Cortese, and it was a surprise to most Southampton fans, since Alan had just won the Football League Trophy, also known as the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, when the Saints beat Carlisle 4-1 the previous March.

alan pardew at benton

Alan Pardew – wants to win against former club

And then Cortese again surprised the Southampton fans by dismissing Nigel Adkins last month, who had seen them get successive promotions to reach the Premier League last year, and in his last five league games as manager of Southampton Nigel had four draws and a win – but was fired after the Saints could only draw 2-2 at Chelsea – the European Champions. :(

Alan Pardew has done well at Newcastle and he was the Premier League Manager of the Year and League Managers Association Manager of the Year for last season – and by doing that he became the first Newcastle manager to win either of the awards, and the only English manager ever to win both awards in the same season.

But from November through mid January of this season, he was under enormous pressure as many of our top players were out injured, and it looked like Newcastle could even be heading for relegation, and he has said that’s the most difficult time ever in his fourteen year management career.

But with five new players brought in from France last month, things are looking up and it’s good that it’s French Day tomorrow, but we are still only 4 points above the drop zone, and that’s why we need to start getting some wins in the Premier League.

Here’s what Alan said today in the local press:

“Trust me, I want to win this game more than anyone.” “I’ve got a lot of friends who I love in Southampton. They were happy when they beat us, but we’re a little bit stronger this time. Hopefully, we’ll win.”

“I’ve always had faith in my ability.” “I thought when I got the sack from Southampton it was unjust, and still to this day think that, like the manager who’s just gone – Adkins, if I’m honest.

“I ain’t bitter about it – it’s not going to eat me up – but I do want to win.”

One of Newcastle’s worst displays under his management came when we went down 2-0 at Southampton last year – and no doubt Alan Pardew will be mentioning that display to the lads, and the fact that Southampton have looked more than a decent side over the last couple of months – and are currently one place ahead of Newcastle in the league table.

We need all 3 points tomorrow.

Note – Marc Gillham is from Durham and is at Hull University studying business and marketing. He is engaged in a project to help non-league clubs make decisions regarding sponsorship. Please help Marc with his research by filling out this questionnaire – thanks.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 morocco0015 // Feb 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Well Mr Pardue, set the team up correctly. Attack from the start, do not defend cautiously at 0.0 and if we score go for the jugular. You put everyone thru hell by trying to sit back and hold on to a slender lead for 20 minutes and it usually goes pear shaped Its in your hands man!!

• 2 olivant // Feb 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM

we all want to win tomorrow :)

• 3 Graeme // Feb 23, 2013 at 11:08 AM

He has the players available that are more than capable of beating any team in the league.

We are a “Top 6″ club, suffering from a combination of lack of investment in the summer coupled with a ridiculous amount of injuries to main players. These factors have now been removed and the team substantially strengthened.

If Pardeaux and the team are truly “Up for it” we will win and win well.

• 4 Jonas's better than Messi // Feb 23, 2013 at 11:08 AM

If he can use it to motivate the team great.

I’m hoping that there’ll be another great atmosphere tomorrow, we really need to get all three points.

Hope Pardew isn’t fooled by Shola.

• 5 Krul to be Kind // Feb 23, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Gaston Ramirez can be very dangerous when he drifts out to the left so for me Debuchy really needs to be on his game tomorrow, and I think big Stevie T will have Lambert in his back pocket tomorrow, Guly Do Prado is back for the saints too and he is a powerhouse that we also need to keep an eye on, similar too Sissoko but way under rated, the Saints defence could crumble if we maintain a sustained pressure on them for 90 mins with the attacking talent we have!

HWTL

• 6 Novocastrian66 // Feb 23, 2013 at 11:14 AM

We will have to do a lot better than we did at their place as we were terrible. Southampton are an improving side as are we. I think they might just have the edge as they play with more freedom whereas we’re very stoic and predictable.

• 7 gggrrrr // Feb 23, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Trust me? I wouldn’t trust him as far as I could throw him. Can’t stand the arrogant insufferable lying prick. Makes me vomit.

• 8 Number9 // Feb 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM

despite the goal against Chelsea, Jonas has been in absolute shite like form this season. AP needs to stop starting him, but hell probably get the nod against the saints since he was rested on Thursday

• 9 toonluvva // Feb 23, 2013 at 4:06 PM

This is a worrying time for me as I don’t think Pardew is sure what his strongest side is yet.

The Euro win was fantastic, but a win against the Saints is essential. In fact we need to pick up a few more wins to get us higher up the league and away from the drop zone.

Elliot should be a good stand in for Krul, as far as the back four is concerned I would leave Colo in for the time being, provided he still puts in a decent shift.

In midfield I’d give Marveaux a run out, and leave Tiote on the bench.

Cisse is fast running out of chances for me. This time last season he was scoring for fun, not so hot at the moment. I think we need 2 strikers in the summer as Shola is either extremely lazy or past it.

Lets beat the Saints and put our season back on track.

previous post: Rob Elliot Brilliant In Training – To Make Premier League Debut