Ben Arfa Praises Pardew – We’ll Win Trophies At Beautiful Newcastle

Newcastle fans are basking in the warmth of two successive wins, and to think the squad will be even stronger for next Saturday’s trip to Swansea, who beat Bradford 5-0 at Wembley yesterday in the Capital One Cup. Ben Arfa should feature in that match either as a starter or from the bench – and Ben Arfa has talked today about winning trophies today – and at Newcastle too.

ben arfa spurs penalty

Ben Arfa – a kiss blown to the Newcastle fans

Newcastle have been disappointing this season, but since January 29th – when we played our new French recruits for the first time at Villa Park, the team has been surging back with four wins in the last six games, and we qualified for the round of the last 16 in the Europa League too.

That will please Ben Arfa, who had pleaded with his team-mates to not let the Europa League dream die last week and it didn’t – and the lads had a simply magnificent 1-0 win at Metalist Kharkiv – only the second loss at home in 10 European games for the Ukraine club.

Ben Arfa has been out of the side since early December with a hamstring problem,  but he trained all last week – and this is what he told The Times today:

“It’s really special to be back. I think we can turn this into a better season than it might have seemed.” “I’d love to win titles, silverware. To give everything I can so that at the end of my career I can look back and have no regrets. Why not here? It’s a beautiful club.”

“There’s everything here to succeed; a great stadium and infrastructure, brilliant fans, good players. Everything is in place.” “I feel a great sense of pride to see all the French players arriving,” he said. “They are great signings. We’ve recruited very well.”

“The manager and I have a good relationship.” “He’s given me a lot of responsibility, but he’s done it gradually, so he’s learnt exactly where I play best. And he now has confidence in me, which has really helped my game. I want to repay him for that.”

It will be great to have Ben Arfa back in the side, and then there will be some very good players who cannot even make the bench at Newcastle since the squad is getting so strong – but we need this good a squad if we are to do well in the league and keep progressing in the Europa League.

We can still shock a lot of people this season if we keep playing well – and keep winning – especially with the mercurial winger back in our side – and hey – we may even win something. 😀

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Shane

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM

At one point in the game Cisse was making a run forward out on the right looking for the through ball… he realised he was going to be offside, stopped his run, stuttered a bit and then ran on again once the ball had been kicked, he received the ball and was indeed onside but he had lost all his momentum and ultimately his run was checked and it led to nothing…

I’ve seen him do this numerous times now and its really frustrating, someone needs to teach him he can run across the pitch along the line of defense…

• outsidethebox

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:51 AM

charlie in gallowgate …yeah seemed as soon as we got the ball we seemed intent on playing 30 yd killer balls ..instead of playing the ball around and killing a bit time …elliotts kicking tended to be towards byeline which are ok ..but are a liability as we dont use either throw ins or corners to our advantage
    ..why not try a few short corners or have someone on near post ???

• Markaccus

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Does cisse’s goal count as our first one this season from a set piece (he hit it first time from elliots free kick)?

Also, I’m seeing random articles about benny being linked with ‘the reds’ again, and also cabaye being linked with fergy and wenger, for 15M too! Got to be b*ll*cks!

• cestriasteve

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:59 AM

they looked really vulerable down the right hand side, thought pardew would have spotted that and perch on again, didnt agree with that. he looked troubled against their pace. Please dont play him at swansea he gives too many free kicks away around the box.

Cabayes ball to gouffy was sublime.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM

outsidethebox

hoooooooooray someone else agrees with our corners.

Love to see a short corner

and throw ins – we are static and easy to mark

all the same 3-4 toon players stand together edge of six yard biox then they all peel away – ball goes into the box caught by the keeper or easily cleared.

• ToonDarnSarf

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Just to (re)set people’s expectations early…reports on this site of signing “two or three top players” this summer are wishful thinking at best. We know that the signings of Sissoko and Gouffran were moved forward from the Summer to stave off the threat of relagation, so don’t expect miracles this summer!

At best I think we’ll sign a young pacey striker (for less than £5M), a few youngsters, a back-up keeper (for less than £2M) and hopefully replace anyone that leaves. If Colo does leave, we’ll probably get someone like Douglas to replace him in the squad.

It would be nice to see some young players come on and threaten the spots of players like Willo, Shola, Perch, Jonas and Elliott though…

• Munster Mag

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM

From previous – I agree re Ashley. Brilliant recent signings although its highly unlikely we would have done this if we were performing at about Stoke’s level. Logic suggests that real ambition would have kicked in last summer, but it didnt. I think thats a fair criticism. Still I’m optimistic that we will strengthen in the summer, but doubt we will buy more than two “purples”. We will probably concentrate more on youth, although I thought we were doing that with last summers clearout? Comments?

• kradiation

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM

(First time poster, long time lurker – sorry)

Good to see yet more praise for the club/fans/manager etc from another of our best players. it shows the team are really in it together and they enjoy being here. Like cabaye was someone I worried would be snapped up ASAP by a rich club. But it seems everytine I hear something about him it involves him being a locker room leader, future captain, helping out young players, interacting with fans. Makes me think he genuinely loves the club and would probably choose to stay here than ever jump to somewhere like Chelsea just because they’re throwing some extra zeros onto the end of his wages.

I’m sick of seeing the papers continually linking cabaye and arfa and no doubt come the summer sissoko… With the London clubs. It’s always talk about how they’d love to play in the capital at the famous blah blah bullshit whatever.
    Anyone with half a brain can see its being written by an arsenal fan or chelski fan and it’s just his wish list of who he wants twisted into a “our sources close to the club”.

I think this is the first time in a long time I’ve felt confident of our entire team being at Newcastle because they choose to be and it’s not just a stepping stone for them to move to city/man u etc.
    Well collocini aside…

• JAMSHA

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM

guys if we win the last 16 in europa who do we play in den…. wish spurs n chelshit wer out dat would giv us a boost..

• Shot Bru

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:19 AM

It baffles me why we don’t try short corners or play the ball to the corner of the box and mix it up a bit.

winning balls in the air is hardly one of our strengths. Keeping possession through a short corner would be much more beneficial or teeing up someone for an effort on goal..

it strikes me the manager and coaching staff have no imagination in this respect.

• ToonDarnSarf

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Munster Mag – I already replied to your post in my post before it. 🙂

I don’t believe for a minute that we’ll sign 2 purples, one at most unless someone significant leaves. We’d all like to see better replacements for some of our fringe players, but that’s not going to happen by buying £10M+ players…

• toonincheek

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Great win on Sunday – yet some are complaining about the ‘long ball’.

Soton press up the park so much that the long(er) ball becomes the ideal tactic – into space for someone to run onto.

That is quite different from hoofing it up to a lone CF.

• Rozzy

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM

We are 22/1 to win to Europa League with Sky Bet.