The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Injury Update On Three Players

11:25 am, Monday, February 25th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 64 Comments

It seems that there is nothing much wrong with Coloccini and Cabaye, who both had to leave the game yesterday with Coloccini being replaced at half time by Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – and you couldn’t tell much difference in our defense since both Coloccini and Yanga-Mbiwa are both very good readers of the game.

yohan cabaye penalty

Yohan Cabaye dispatching penalty – 10 minutes before he was replaced

Coloccini had a back complaint at half time, after he had teed up the ball and performed an acrobatic overhead kick to get the ball away near the right wing corner flag – and that’s’ dangerous when you are 31 years-old – maybe five years ago – but it seems the Argentine tweaked his back a little.

It was a good move by the manager to replace him at the half as a precaution, and Mapou has shown he can play very well at the back for Newcastle – and is strongly challenging Steven Taylor for the center-back berth alongside the Newcastle captain – and he did his claims no harm at all yesterday, after an immaculate performance in the Ukraine on Thursday night.

This is what Alan Pardew told the Evening Chronicle today:

“Cabaye was pulling the strings – it was a shame to lose him. He was feeling a bit dizzy.” “I was really pleased with the performance.”  “You start getting those stats when you get a good side – we’ve not had a good side because of injuries and suspensions and perhaps a lack of numbers.”

“We’ve corrected that now.” “Colo’s not that bad. I just told him not to try those overhead kicks at his age. I think that he’ll be OK.” “We’ve had to beat two really good sides this week.”  “It has been a great week for us. We have had two great results.”

Yohan Cabaye was replaced by the reliable James Perch after 77 minutes, and Newcastle saw out the remaining few minutes,  and Southampton even added to Newcastle’s lead with an own goal,  after good work by Davide Santon down the left wing.

We should hear later today what the prognosis is on Tim Krul’s ankle injury – with the preliminary view that he has strained his ankle,  and could be out up to five weeks, but he will be examined by a specialist today, so we could hear a more accurate prognosis – hopefully today.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Fabricio Coloccini · Injuries · Newcastle News · Premier League · Tim Krul · Yohan Cabaye

64 responses so far ↓

• 1 Transfer Sage // Feb 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM

my only criticism of pardew yesterday was bringing on perch ahead of anita.

Thats a minor issue though as far as I see things, everyone does things differently.

I’m pleased we got the win and now 2 out of the last 3 games in the league we have come from behind to win.

• 2 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Phatoon
    One hell of throw – from in the box to the feet of the toon player out on the left wing who was in the Southampton half.

More of that please

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Feb 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Any links for mod please

• 4 Transfer Sage // Feb 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM

jail

BBC iplayer has motd 2 on

• 5 Transfer Sage // Feb 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

• 6 Markaccus // Feb 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Tiotes first good game of the season. Pardew went with perch as sub I think because so far this season he has been the more solid defensive midfeilder. Agree I think anita would have kept more pressure on their team as a more lively player, but I can’t moan too much for pardew going with the apparently safer option, even though it didn’t have such a good effect this time.

• 7 ilovetoon8788 // Feb 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Very impressed with Eliot. His distrubtion was excellent and very accurate. Krul hoofs the ball straight back to the opposition all the time and put the pressure back into us.

Eliot on the other hand hoofs accurate ball that actually gets us going in attack. Krul is a better goalkeeper all round no doubt, will replace Eliot once back. But its refreshing to know we have a capable backup keeper .

• 8 ilovetoon8788 // Feb 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

And Tiote was all over the pitch for us today. Excellent performance. I hope he is back to his very best.

Swansea next is a very tough game.

• 9 Transfer Sage // Feb 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM

markaccus

I’m the same…not going to nit pick over little details especially when we won the game so can’t have done anything that wrong.

The biggest turning point was the booking of their left back shaw and his subsequent substitution which stifled their attacking option at left back and led to Fox coming on and doing 2 errors.

• 10 Transfer Sage // Feb 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM

i love toon

Swansea certainly won’t be easy but they are beatable. They have some good players and a good manager but there is no reason we can’t win.

I think a draw would be a decent result from that game.

• 11 Markaccus // Feb 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM

In other sport, I see Audrey Embarrison still reckons he’s going to win a world title, after beating up some total nobodies in prize-fighter.

• 12 Transfer Sage // Feb 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM

markaccus

he looked decent, nothing special obviously but put on a good show.

No reason he cannot fight around the british level, not a chance on earth he will get near a world title though.

• 13 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Did anyone notice that Tiote and Cabaye seemed to have swopped roles. Cabaye was in the ‘Holding midfield player’ at the back and Tiote had a more free roll closing down the opposition further up the field

• 14 Transfer Sage // Feb 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM

charlie

I think it seems to be working well…

sissoko stays up near cisse to help attacks and be a goal threat.

cabaye sits deep and dictates the play

tiote pressure their team as soon as they get near or in our half

• 15 Markaccus // Feb 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Sage, yes if we nit-pick we might end up like Catchy!

Some are saying the penalty was harsh, but he jumped with his arms out in front (unatural). I think he knew it would be hit first time and wanted to make sure it didn’t get past him. Right call I think, even though I’m biased

• 16 Markaccus // Feb 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM

He’s 41 now. Its a pity he never stopped boxing for points instead of hitting harder. He was too powerful for the amateurs, but never really fought like a pro.

• 17 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Transfer Sage
    Yeah I thought it worked well yesterday leaving basically Sissoko to link midfield with Cisse and Goufron who put in another tireless shift. Good player with a bit of skill to

• 18 Lewis // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Fantastic win yesterday. Really great performance from pretty much the whole team. I would probably go as far as saying that this is one of the best NUFC teams I have seen and it is truly exciting stuff!

Anyone else notice that this is the first time since APRIL 2011 (home to Wolves in the PL) that we have scored more than 3 goals in any game of 90 mins (Nottm Forest in league cup last season we scored 4 AET)!!

I for one think this is a brilliant achievement and I am once again looking forward to times ahead at NUFC!!

• 19 Transfer Sage // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM

markaccus

Either way Harrison has made a very good living from being an average to poor pro boxer and he has an olympic gold medal at the end of it all.

On the handball….definite penalty for me. I find them harsh but going off current rules thats right. his arms were out whether intentional or not he still used them to block a ball across the goal.

The pen claim in the first half when taylor did the over head kick was correctly dismissed as arms were down….so nothing he could have done to avoid it.

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Transfer
    They’ve taken it off anywhere else please.

• 21 Owldman // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Transfersage think he brought Perch on because he his the stronger of the two.Before we brought the new boys in when we went behind in games we very rarely came back, but how things have changed! Even when we went behind so early on I was confident we could come back which we did twice against a good side, Really confident that we can get something at Swansea.We’ve got a much stronger team now than when we played them at SJP 5 new signings , yes I really do believe we can go there with a lot of confidence.

• 22 Transfer Sage // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM

jail

sorry…i thought they might have had it on iplayer…best bet for it really so not sure where else.

Try the bbc sport site as they sometimes have a link for motd2 or motd3 which is online only.

Is it just our game you want? or all games. Download the app ESPN goals, totally free and has highlights of all prem league games.

• 23 Transfer Sage // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM

owldman

Yeh thats why I can’t really complain about perch, he had been good in the DM role in recent weeks and maybe pardew wanted him to help deal with ricky lambert if he tries to win headers a bit deeper.

It was just my preference for anita so no complaints with pards, he made the sub and it saw us home so good move in the end.

• 24 Owldman // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Why we dont use Tiote in the oppositions box when we have corners I dont know he out jump most defenders & give us other options to Collo or Taylor, sadly I think we may not see Ryan Taylor play for Toon again where would he fit in?

• 25 robin // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Why Pardew, insists on playing Jonas, on the right at the expense of Anita or Obertan, who are much better players than him is strange but then again Pardew is strange. He is terrified to bench the Cart horse Colocini, who is leaving anyway and play Mbwia, who is a much better player, he adds mobility and awareness that old Colocini does not have anymore. Lets hope Pardew comes to his senses and drops the Argentinian liabilities.

• 26 WWYCD // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:24 PM

JfA
    Finding it to watch online is damn near impossible until its on iplayer but u can download the show if u look for a torrent…obviously its incredibly naughty

• 27 Transfer Sage // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM

robin

Colo is a good player, not sure how you can’t see that. Prem league team of the year last season, deservedly so too. Not hit the same heights this year but far from a carthorse. He may be slow but this isn’t FIFA13, positional sense is good and his reading of the game is too so doesn’t get caught too often. (all players get caught at times)

Jonas I agree isn’t particularly good but anita is a DM or part time fullback so playing him on the wing isn’t a great idea. Obertan isn’t great either, he is far from consistent and offers very little but I can understand him being ahead of jonas as he has more goals and assists in the previous year and a half.

• 28 Markaccus // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Colo made a few runs out of defence, carrying the ball past opposition players with pace and confidence. Not bad for a carthorse.

Obertan has proved mostly useless on this season, and anita has never been tried as an attacking winger yet, so I don’t see any sense in starting either one ahead of jonas. When hba is fit, he should start there, with jonas coming on last 20 to tighten things up.

• 29 Markaccus // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Awaiting the almost inevatable childish abuse….

• 30 Transfer Sage // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM

markaccus

I get the obertan comment from robin…it makes some sense in that he has more goals and assists so you could say he is the lesser of two evils (a bit harsh on the two of them).

But at the end of the day he has hardly done enough during his chances on the pitch to make you think he should definitely be a starter ahead of jonas. I just think he is an alternative not an improvement.

• 31 Markaccus // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Yes he SHOULD offer more attacking threat, but it always seems to go wrong. Jonas is the defensive option, as he offers little in attack, although he sometimes makes a nuisance of himself if he comes inside, as he is hard to tackle and has good strength. If obertan cut out his error percentage in attack I’d agree start him, until then, (or hba is fit) jonas gets the nod. I think it was harsh to call him and colo liabilities. Both pretty solid players.

• 32 Markaccus // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM

If I’m honest, though, I think at some point we should try Anita there, say for 15 mins in a game we have under control. He has the pace and skills to do it, and we know hed track back as he has the defensive know-how. It would be interesting to see.

• 33 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM

If only there was a way we could Merge all the good parts of Krul with all the good parts of elliot we would have the perfect keeper.

Krul
    - Good concentration
    - Good reaction
    - Better shot stopper

Elliot
    - Good distribution
    - Super throw.

• 34 Markaccus // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM

@phoenix

I sense an illeagal accelerated genetic cloning experiment!!

• 35 Transfer Sage // Feb 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM

markaccus

Thats what I mean with obertan, not done enough to earn a starting spot, glimpses but not enough.

I dont like how defensive jonas is but you know you will get hard work and assistance for the full back…with obertan you don’t know what will happen other than he will probably disappoint you.

• 36 Markaccus // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Sage yeah think we’re pretty much singing from the same hymn sheet.

Think its probably going to end up with hba, socks and goofy supporting cisse, and then you’ve got the likes of obertan, marveuax and jonas on the bench if we need something different. I would be annoyed if goofy is the one to make way for hba, as I think he is deadly. That defender hadn’t a clue what he was doing when goofy set up that first goal.

• 37 hotdog // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Markaccus – Spot on with your comments. Obertan has had more than enough chances. Young Sammi & Fergy may get another chance but Obertan should really have showed more given his opportunities and CV.

I said it months ago that i wouldnt want that fella next to me in the trenches, no heart/Desire

• 38 DokToon // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM

gmorning all,

sweet win yesterday! was it me, or did it seem like tiote was a madman out there? maybe it was the hair!! thought debuchy looked great as well… and im seriously loving on goffy these days, talk about fasty, and the footwork to get that shot off was amazing, imo…

HWTL

• 39 Markaccus // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Hotdog, its also a confidence thing I think, sometimes when he tries a cross or a killer pass, you can almost see him thinking “this won’t work” and ends up as a damp squib of a ball trundling into the arms of the keeper, or out of play. I can see him going back to france, I think we were his last chance to get some form back in the prem.

• 40 Dagwoodz // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:19 PM

G’morning all,

One of the things I’ve noticed is that the team had an incredible lack of movement off the ball when we were stung so badly by the injury bug. No one webbed to show for the ball in space and it was causing players to try to take on multiple players on their own, leading to turnovers. Now that we have our team almost fully fit,the movement is so much better it’s scary, though it could still be better.

If we are able to maintain this form our improve even, I think we should be able to take 24 points from our remaining fixtures. Swansea, Citeh and WBA are going to be the trickiest fixtures left. If we can take 2 pts from those, we’ll be doing great.

• 41 Dagwoodz // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM

*wanted, not webbed…

• 42 HarrogateMag // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I think Jonas is very useful at the start while we get a grip on the game – he very rarely loses posession and is a great ‘outball’ when we are under pressure as he can usually buy a freekick with some outrageous falling down. he also lets the fullback roam a she is good at covering. But if we are in control I would like to see him replaced after 65 mins or so with Obertan or another pacey player to increase our pressure.
    I also didnt like Tiote roaming around everywhere as I thought he was behind the ball too often when they were attacking – he smells a good challenge coming up and loses position/senses too often – and his passing is not assured anymore.

• 43 MacToon // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Try this J4A, not all motd but our game.

• 44 Goodfella // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Has anybody seen the story about adult slides being added around
    St James (crazy??????)

• 45 pawl250 // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Injuries and lack of depth cost us start of the season I mean look at our SQUAD now, its alot stronger half our “backup” team was in our starting one early this season and most of last season!

———————– Krul ———————-
    Debuhcy – STaylor – Coloccini – Santon
    —————– Tiote — Cabaye ————-
    Ben Arfa ——— Sissoko —— Gouffran
    ———————- Cisse ———————-

Backup Tema

———————- Elliot ————————
    Simpson — Williamson – Mbiwa – Haidara
    —————– Anita – Perch ——————
    Obertan ——– Marveaux ———– Jonas
    ———————- Shola ———————–

THEN our backup of a backups

——————– Harper ————————
    Tavernier — Good? – Street? — Ferguson
    ————- RTaylor – Bigirmana ————-
    Sammy ———- Gosling —— Amalfitano
    ——————— Campbell ——————-

You look at the bottom team even players where getting games this season when our injuries occured, and now would be lucky to get on the bench!

Good stuff from the board in the winter window, hopefully we can make a go of it in EL this year, and next year keep a hold of our valuable players, maybe strengthen striker area and centre back area (if Colo leaves). We should have a pretty strong SQUAD next year for a decent league campaign and possible cup run maybe?!

• 46 Transfer Sage // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:36 PM

pawl

They definitely did improve the squad massively in Jan…we now have the tools to work with to move up the league.

3 points off tenth which is great and achievable really.

• 47 hotdog // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Markaccus – Hey we all want players to succeed at the toon but I agree he will probably move abroad now, i cant see another Premier League team coming in for him.

• 48 Transfer Sage // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM

hotdog

I think obertan will be kept one more year unless a offer comes in above the 3mil we paid.

I think if we strengthen in the summer he might be worth a loan to a team like wigan (if they want him, they took miachi off arsenal so might). A full season would help him and in a team like wigan where he would have more responsibility and have to contribute a lot then he might kick on and develop that consistency he needs.

• 49 Markaccus // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Aye I’m always open to a player proving me wrong. I didn’t like perch at first, but he upped his game, and has become a very useful player. Currently I am disappointed with Marveaux and gosling. They’re young, but should be having more impact when they play, so like I say, I’d like them to prove me wrong, or its time to move on. They’re not rubbish, I just think we need more from them.

• 50 toonincheek // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Most of it has been said – just to add -

I like Elliots lower trajectory long balls – gets there quicker.

Soton pressed us midfield and very high – calls for slightly different tactis – i.e. a longish balls into space
    rather than
    long balls to a lone striker (that can work with Ameobi, used to work with Carroll, it doesn’t work with Cisse)
    I don’t see that as a long ball tactic as such.

Bringing Perch on when we have just a 1-goal lead – a bit dangerouis.
    But – if Cabaye was starting to feel the pace, a better option than Anita ( a better player, but not the time to change our attacking formation)

Tiote – great game for once – is he back?
    Hope so.

Mbiwa will be a regular soon enough, but as the defence have played well recently, hard to drop Colo or Saylor.
    I’m sure Mbiwa understands. He must know he will be one of the first on the team sheet very soon.

• 51 Markaccus // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Sage

That worked wonders on Nicky Butt. The season after we loaned him to brum, he was a different player. Could work on squidward as well.

• 52 Transfer Sage // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:52 PM

toonincheek

Yeh I liked elliotts long balls…worked well.

He played a few into the channels for cisse and others to run onto, even if they didn’t come to anything it allowed us to move up the field and pressure them more than a long ball right down the middle like Krul.

The good thing about that is it requires no more skill to play the ball wider than it does straight so it’s something krul can start to do quickly if he realises it.

• 53 Transfer Sage // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:53 PM

markaccus

just an idea if we have enough without him….might as well get the most out of what we have.

Ideally sammy will do well at boro (he just tweeted he is training with them today) and he stays this season if not next as well.

• 54 Markaccus // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Toonincheek

Think you’re spot on about yanga. I’m sure he knows he’s going to get plenty of game time next year, and since he can play anywhere in the back four and dm, he’s almost assured a game either from the bench, or if we rest a player this season.

• 55 hotdog // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:56 PM

TS – I wont hold my breath bud!

So if Cisse is up top with Hatem and Goofy supporting on the wings, i think Sissoko might have to be a bit more restrained in his runs forward. Mouthwatering though ;-)

• 56 Jail for Ashley // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Cheers Mactoon

• 57 Transfer Sage // Feb 25, 2013 at 1:59 PM

yeh same opinion on mbiwa

Not many players go to a new club mid season and walk right into the team, especially when saylor and colo are doing quite well.

I think he will be desperate to play but not concerned his isn’t starting, he will know that he will be first choice next year when/if colo leaves in the summer.

I think he is aware that once he gets a chance to show what he can do he will become a regular. He looks a confident lad who will back himself to play his way into the team and not just sulk.

• 58 outsidethebox // Feb 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM

toon in cheek …cabaye seemed to be controlling play from deep position allowing tiote to win the ball further up the pitch …only changes i would make for swansea game are mbai for taylor (although i like saylors effort he is challenging collo for place imo) mbai showed some great touches and pace …also benny for gouffran till benny tires…

• 59 toonincheek // Feb 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM

outside -
    I think t’other way around.
    Goofy for HBA until Goofy tires.

• 60 toonincheek // Feb 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM

@59
    Until HBA is fully match-fit, that is

• 61 northernirishtoon // Feb 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Hba for goofy are ye mad lol

Has to be hba for jonas

• 62 outsidethebox // Feb 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM

elliott
    debuchy mbai collo santon
    cab tiote
    benny sissoko marv
    cisse

would be the line up i would like to see but cannot see pardieu being as brave

• 63 morocco0015 // Feb 25, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Outside,

no Goofy?? have a word with yourself man, he’s top drawer.

• 64 Owldman // Feb 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Up another place thanks to Spurs beating West Ham! 13th and climbing.

previous post: Some Great Pictures From French Day At St. James’ Park