Former Newcastle Superstar Joining Coaching Ranks

There are reports in Columbia that former Newcastle United striker Tino Asprilla is in talks about a possible coaching position at the club –  in the Newcastle Academy.

tino aprilla

Tino Asprilla – could be joining coaching ranks

The 43-year-old had told Radio Antena 2 that he wants Newcastle to get the best young talent in Columbia:

“Some teams in England are going after the Spaniards, so I want Newcastle to fix their eyes on Colombian talent.”

In November Tino was interviewed and at that time he said he was interested in joining the club – and this is what he said at the time:

“A year ago I spoke with Newcastle’s owners about bringing over players from my coaching school in Colombia.” “It didn’t happen due to some requirements of the English league but then, during informal meetings with fans, I said I’d be interested in returning.”

“That encouraged the owners and three months ago they invited me over. I’m motivated and I like the city. I often accompany the team when they are travelling in England. It is a significant opportunity and hopefully something will materialise.”

“I will pass on my experience of the game and what I have learnt. I also hope to help the first team”

The 43-year old was at Newcastle from 1996 through 1998 and played around 50 times for the club and scored 16 goals, including his famous hat-trick at St. James’ Park against Barcelona, when we hammered the Spanish giants 3-2 in September of 1997.

He also played 57 times for Columbia with 20 goals, and it would be great to have Tino back at the club.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Toon Tang

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM

2nd

• Toon Tang

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM

tiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnoooooo . the lads a bloody legend man, let him have the keys to the city whilst ya there

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM

TIIIINNNNOOO!!!

Can’t help but remember this guy fondly. When he was on form, my what a player.

• tequilamag

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Never going to happen, Nothing in those quotes to suggest he is on his way. Great player but too much of a party animal to be trusted in a coaching role.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:37 AM

This is something the club should look to exploit.

We want to be in touch with ex players who are doing this sort of coaching academy back in their home countries and if they think they have a genuine talent to refer him on and Carr can go have a look at him.

A lot of scouting of young talents is initially just done with a friend telling them about a talent they have seen and then they look into it further.

• BigKirky

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Tino!!

• SupaToonKid

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Legend. Would be great to have Tino as a coach here. If he can bring along a Falcao-esque player for his Colombian school all the better ;D

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Bloody Hell

• tequilamag

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Former player slams Pardew as clueless. Further proof Catchy is correct that players don`t rate him.

• Tsunki

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM

@8 – agreed.

😀

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Tequila…Another example of Pardew ruining a player. The guy really is clueless. Why does he want to make players “complete players”. Fool.

• tequilamag

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Ibiza, another 7 years of misery. I am so angry I that I am seriously thinking of having a moan on the internet.

• saxonfenken

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:00 AM

tequilamag
    Good artical, I never know what catchy says these days, I just ignore him, and never read his posts

• G

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I can’t see Tino being given a job with our kids, but I would love to see it. One thing sadly lacking from nearly every academy set up, is developing flair in a game. Tino could do that very well. I still remeber his debut against Bora, leaving their Right Back (Cox, I think?) almost in tears on 2 occasions having not only outlplayed, but totally embarassed. Classic player.

• murvar

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Tino is a self-serving clown. He’d be great at helping the kids turn out like Nile |Ranger. He has no place in a professional set-up like ours. Why do fans always get fooled by fancy-dans who make a 30% contribution and don’t do what’s required of them 70% of the time? Martins, Robert, Ben Arfa come to mind………

• Pardews Parsnip Bonce

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM

pardew out. any other manager would have our paper thin squad from the beginning of the season fighting for the title now. parsnip head is clueless

• Munster Mag

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I think its fair that Pardew should ship a fair amount of criticism for the first half of the season, pre the new arrivals. Tactics, set up, long ball, free kicks etc – many reasons for criticism. However the witchunt that still goes on is daft. and purleeeze, why do people keep banging on about martinez?

• tequilamag

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Saxon, I feel a bit sorry for him. He has backed himself so far into a ridiculous corner that it is almost impossible for him to enjoy the good run we are having.

• Munster Mag

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM

G, are u sure ur not talking about Ginola v Cox?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Tequila…Good shout. We all know that a moan on the internet turns things around. I might even start a Pardew out facebook page!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Munster…Martinez is the future! 🙂

Fair play, Pardew should shoulder some of the crtiticism or our campaign to date, however, given the right tools, which were requested during the summer (whether he says he said okay to not strengthening or not after the window closed), he has shown he can do the job. Surely it’s time for them all to move on and to try and enjoy our turn of fortune?!?

• Transfer Sage

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM

munster

Exactly right…we played below what we could do….we played a good month before the new arrival and have kicked on again.

The problem was Pardew thought the approach he was using would work…it didn’t so he changed it to be more attacking with marv which worked well so fair play to him for changing.

Tequila

As for Catchy, its easy for him now. Just come out and say he got it wrong. Not 100% wrong as Pardew did make weird decisions at times but that his criticism was over the top and that Pardew is now doing a good job.

• tequilamag

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Ibiza good idea, I wonder if Pardew is on FB. I may send him a friend request then unfriend him. That should do the trick.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Tequila…Sounds a bit ott, bordering on abusive, but these are desperate times.

Just imagine if we all did it. Going from extremely popular to no friends at all…ouch 🙂

• G

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Munster, No, deffo game against Boro. Google it, I’ve seen the footage again on youtube. Can’t remember if it was Cox, but I just remember him running at the RB towards the outside box, skipping past him left, then round him again to the right, and whilst the RB is stood looking for where he is he’s 8 yards behind him setting up a goal. A classic.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM

G…Have a link to save the googling?

• G

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Not from here, our IT bods have blocked youtube. Just google ‘Tina Asprilla Newcastle Debut’ and it should be near the top lot.

• Ian Toon

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I can only endorse an earlier posters comparison of our good performance on Sunday with the abysmal showing in the corresponding away game. We showed that were now more resilient and able to respond to setbacks. We’re in the early stages of gelling as a unit and don’t press sides in a fully co-ordinated structured way but this will come. It was noticeable that Southampton kept a high line but did have a problem maintaining a high tempo throughout the game. Overall I thought Pardew got the tactics spot on because we had a better balanced shape to our play and used the strengths of our offensive players well. Our goals came from allowing the Saints to push onto us before winning possession and counterattacking through raking passes ( often from Cabaye) into wide positions to Cisse and Gouffran. This will I believe be seen to good effect in away games where we now have a defence capable of absorbing pressure and counterattacking. It will be interesting to gauge the state of our play
    on Saturday. Interesting to see the head to head of the respective managers. Who has style and who has substance? I hope come May that the proper fans wish the season could just keep on going!

• Hatem's better than Messi

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Tequila – Murvar

Guess you know the guy very well to be so negative about his character.

Murvar if you don’t know Tino and are being influenced by old stories from the gutter press, then you need to realise that people change between their 20’s and 40’s and that the press often exaggerate and nearly always lie.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Cheers G 🙂

• Ian Toon

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Ibiza- Good morning oh wise one.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Ian….Good morning oh wiser one. Nice to be singing songs of optimism to a receptive audience yet again…long may it continue.

• Bambams

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I think we are getting results through great players and not particularly great managing. I wonder how good the same players would be if under Sir Bobby , Keegan or even a more attack minded coach , Fazackerley or Clarke spring to mind.
    The Saints game could have been a bit different had that worldy from cisse or own goal/penalty not happened.
    Before I get stated and reminded they did go in, it cannot be guaranteed we will start to play more attacking football under Pardew. … its not his way.
    I will give him time, I am not asking for his head and time will tell if Pardew can change the way we play now we have a good set of attack minded players. Imo

• Toon_Army

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Will never forget what he did (on his debut I think) against Liverpool on the touchline, simply sublime skills, there will never be another like him and I can’t remember another player with such ability. Simply a Phenomenal player, a bit lazy though, would be great if he could be part of the academy handing down some of those crazy skills of his. (Fingers Crossed).

• joe

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Don’t get why people in general think attacking coaches can get better results than defensive coaches, or are better in general. You think Pardew won’t go more offensive if he thinks he can get better results that way? Those of us who are waiting for him to change his ways will wait for 10 years and still wont see anything I think. Mourinho was more defensive minded than Ferguson, Wenger, or Benitez, relying on long balls to Drogba loads of times. And he won 2 league titles in a row. Says a lot about so called defensive football