The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Not Many Games Left For This Newcastle Player

9:09 am, Wednesday, February 27th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 12 Comments

We’re not sure how many more games Danny Simpson will play for Newcastle before the end of the season when his contract runs out at Newcastle, and he is likely to leave for pastures anew – and he’ll probably end up in London where his new girlfriend, Tulisa Contostavlos lives.

Danny Simpson atromitos

Danny Simpson – will leave Newcastle this summer

Newcastle have been trying to get Danny to sign his new contract for almost two years now, and by all accounts it’s a good deal for Danny, but he hasn’t signed it – although whenever he’s been interviewed in the press, he nearly always said he wants to stay at Newcastle.

Because of the uncertainty of his position and to improve our defense, which even now is leaking too many goals in the league, Newcastle brought in long term target Mathieu Debuchy last month, and he’s looked the part in the Newcastle first team.

But Danny came in against Metalist Kharkiv last week and played an excellent game in the 1-0 win – and that’s a reminder to Alan Pardew that he’s not a bad player.

This is what Danny told some of the local press today:

“I’m a professional footballer and I’m a Newcastle player now.” “There’s three months to go and all I can do is train hard every day. I said to the manager whatever happens – injuries, suspension or whatever – he can rely on me if he does need me.” “That’s all I can do, concentrate on training, and if I do get picked for the Europa League I’ve got to perform.”

“Once the manager picks me and I’m on the pitch it’s up to me to show what I can do. We’ll just have to see in the summer what happens.” “It’s been a tough few months but I’ve got a good relationship with the manager who knows my situation with the club.” “I’m the type of player who trains hard no matter what’s going on.”

“I think the manager might have seen that and maybe that’s why he gave me the nod in Kharkiv.” “Hopefully I’ve staked a claim a little bit in this competition in Kharkiv or at least given him something to think about. It’s massively important for me.” “It was good to repay him by playing my part in getting a win.” “We had a game plan and it worked down to a tee.”

“In the first 20 minutes we had a good spell. They were the home team so we had to deal with their pressure but I think just before the penalty we were starting to get into the game more and it looked like we were going to get a goal.” “Then in the last 20 minutes you have to dig deep and defend.”

“That’s what we did. If they did get through us, Tim stopped everything.” “Every away game in the Europa League is tough and away goals are massively important. We knew it was going to be tough because they’re a good little team.” “But the game plan worked and once we got the goal we knew we’d have to dig in deep and defend as a team, all 11 of us and the subs. It’s a nice feeling to get through to the last 16.”

Those are good positive words from Danny – and he seems to be a good professional.

Danny was injured in the terrible 7-3 loss to Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium in December, when he picked up a foot injury, and the Newcastle squad was down to the bare bones. But after an excellent January transfer window and players like Steven Taylor and Yohan Cabaye back from long term injuries – the Newcastle squad looks as strong as it’s been for years – and Ben Arfa is back for the game at Swansea on Saturday.

Danny should play in some of the European games, but as far as the Premier League goes we cannot see him making many more appearances, with Debuchy and Yanga-Mbiwa both ahead of him in the pecking order.

For the record Danny has given good service to Newcastle since he joined us in the summer of 2009 after our relegation – when we were down and out – and he’s played 132 times for the side with two goals – he helped us back into the Premier League and we solidified our position in it.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Danny Simpson · Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News · Premier League

12 responses so far ↓

• 1 Transfer Sage // Feb 27, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Not keen on his recent antics, going out and getting drunk in a club when he has a foot injury he should have been resting but it’s one blip.

Not his biggest fan on the pitch although I think he gives it his best and played a big part in getting us out of the championship and back to where we are now.

Thanks and good luck with wherever he ends up next season.

• 2 Pardews Parsnip Bonce // Feb 27, 2013 at 9:13 AM

the guy did a job for us and if he could accept it i would have him as backup personally. debuchy is already showing he’s a better player so Danny will never get first team status here.
    i do however wish him luck at reading or some other lesser team

• 3 Pardews Parsnip Bonce // Feb 27, 2013 at 9:15 AM

@ts also played a big part in gettin us to 5th so kudos to him

• 4 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Feb 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM

PPB….Where have you popped up from? Good to have you back.

Completely agree on Simmo. Limited but has done us well. Wound be a decent enough back-up, but it isn’t to be.

• 5 Transfer Sage // Feb 27, 2013 at 9:21 AM

PPB

Yeh he did very well last year…he made mistakes but he also did some crucial things…he was exactly the level we needed to get us out the championship and keep us in the prem.

I don’t mind him leaving for football though, he won’t get ahead of debuchy, not too much age difference and simpson will never be the player debuchy is so i couldn’t see him getting his spot back so don’t mind him finding a place to get regular football.

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Feb 27, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Ppb
    Yup,I wouldn’t mind him staying as back up a player who played in most games in a top five place isn’t the worst option on the bench,mind you neither is RTaylor who is a lot more versatile.

• 7 saxonfenken // Feb 27, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Good luck Danny and thanks, I do think that he did not deserve all the bile dished out to him on here. Overall he did a job for us. Granted we have better players for his position now.
    I hope he finds a decent team and first choice as well.

• 8 blew // Feb 27, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Sir AF never sells decent players to English clubs if he can avoid it. I go back to the first – Scanlon (pre SAF)
    Look at what we have brought in from Man U since then !
    I will be happy when we keep away from their cast offs and get rid of Simpson and Obers.

• 9 Mister Tuff // Feb 27, 2013 at 9:30 AM

If Simpson had signed a new contract back in 2011- we probably would not have Debuchy at the club.

• 10 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Simpson –
    Debuchy better all-round player than Simpson. But as far as I am concerned Simpson gets more stick than he should. A good pro who has not let us down.
    How many points did he get us with his goal line clearances (five I think) last year.

• 11 SupaToonKid // Feb 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I thank Danny for his services for the club. He always at least tries his best even if he cannot perform to the standards we want. Has put in some class performances throughout his period here but also some shocking ones. Hopefully Simpson gets a chance at West Ham or somebody of that standard. Good luck to him but with Debuchy, R. Taylor, Tavernier, Santon, Perch & Anita we have enough players to cover that position.

• 12 Owldman // Feb 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM

@8 Albert Scanlon was good player prior to the Munich air disaster but was never the same player after that.The same applied to Dennis Violet who we got from Man U

previous post: Six Games In March For Newcastle – How Many Points?

next post: Former Newcastle Superstar Joining Coaching Ranks