Two Way Street For Massadio And Gosforth Schoolboys

It seems only appropriate when you think about it – to use some of our French players to visit schools in the area to help the school kids who are learning French – and that’s exactly what new boy Massadio Haïdara did yesterday.

Massadio Haidara metalist 98

Haidara in action against Metalist Kharkiv

Massadio was at Newcastle School for Boys in Gosforth, and the children were encouraged to ask the French U21 International questions in French – and he answered them in French – so that would seem like a good lesson for both the schoolboys and Massadio.

The children asked questions ranging from his transfer to Newcastle last month, to what his favorite foods, films and music are.

The 20 year-old was interviewed on the Newcastle web-site today about yesterday’s visit:

“The lesson went well. The questions were in French and were about the things I like doing, particularly away from the football pitch, so it was a little easier for me to answer.” “If I put myself in the children’s’ shoes, I can appreciate the challenge of learning French.”

“I’m obviously doing it the other way from French into English and I know how difficult it is, but in a little bit of time they’ll be doing a fantastic job and I hope I’ll do the same.” “I’ve had a few difficulties with English but hopefully I’ve used my time here to catch up!”

“I really enjoyed the day; it was a very nice thing to have done it for myself.”

Massadio would have also interfaced with the schoolboys with some of his English – which at the moment is not too good – but it will have helped the twice capped French U21 International and hopefully it was a win-win situation for both Haidara and the schoolboys.

massadio with Gosforh School for boys kids

Massadio with the Gosforth schoolboys yesterday

And Massadio has already let the Newcastle fans know just how good he is already, with an outstanding starting debut last Thursday night in the Ukraine, when he showed what an excellent young defender he is, in the white-hot atmosphere of the Metalist Stadium.

This lad is going to become a good player for Newcastle and he will be challenging Italian International Davide Santon for the starting left back spot at Newcastle very soon – once he settles in on Tyneside.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Munster Mag

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I think he will overtake Santon, from what I have heard of him, especially in away games. Santon may become a versatile sub – covering both full back roles and also LM / RM if needed.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Munster…Not sure about overtaking Santon, but with being able to play LB and RB it does give us great rotation options with Debuchy, Santon and Haidara. Great stuff.

• Graeme

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Would it not have been better to have the questions asked by the kids in French, with the answers being given in English so the player really does benefit as well?? Just a thought.

• Assam Toon

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:26 AM

agree @iibiza, although this guy looked quite solid, rotating between the three should be a good ploy. Suddenly we have too many options in the central midfield too it seems. Tiote, perch, anita, bigi, gosling, cabaye can all play behind the attacking midfielders like sissoko, hba & marv. how should pardew keep everyone happy there?

• saxonfenken

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I can see Massadio Haïdara becoming a great left back for us, his performance in the Ukraine was exceptional, and remember he is only 20years old. I hope this lad is not left languishing on the bench, at his age he needs games. I like many would love to see Santon in front of him, between them the left side would be more than covered. And Santon has a great assist ratio

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Assam….It’s such a great problem to have and one we’ve needed for a long time.

I think it will be next season where it starts to show it’s real benefit. We will be able to rotate players more and actually field decent teams in the domestic cups and actually progress, with a bit of luck of course. Injuries and suspensions will allow game time too.

All in all, it’s just fantastic stuff and we haven’t even seen what this summer may bring yet….roll on August 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Saxon & Munster…I quite like the idea of Santon on the LW as an option. Doubt he will be a starter there though for some time. Once Benny gets back into the swing of things I think the first team really picks itself (atleast the midfield and attack).

——Tiote—-Cabaye——-
    HBA—–Sissoko—–Gouffran
    ————Cisse—————–

To then have Anita, Jonas, Santon etc as options is just superb. I’m buckling at the knees just thinking about it…swoon.

• Assam Toon

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM

with european football much less likely next season, it will be quite a task to keep the quality in our bench motivated. I hope we have extended domestic cup runs, for a change. League cup is our most optimistic chance of winning silver ware….
    I wonder what everyone think of our europa prospects? winning against anzi is crucial because our focus is still divided between it and the EPL. but with 40 points in the bag, we could have and should direct all out attention to europa.

• toonincheek

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Well though Santon has done as an attacking FB, I’m not so sure how he would do as LW.
    As attacking LB, he will usually be up against the oppo’s RW.
    As LW, he would usually be up against the oppo’s RB – a different proposition.

Still, the prospect of Santon and Haidi playing together, interchanging, is a mouthwatering prospect.

Still, as has been said, one of them would need to be stronger than anyone else we have for the LW position.