The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Cabaye – Fantastic To Be Captain – But I Lost

6:53 am, Sunday, March 3rd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 10 Comments

Yohan Cabaye captained Newcastle United for the first time yesterday in South Wales, and if Fabricio Coloccini leaves the club in the summer to return to his family in Argentina,  then it’s odds on that the French International will become the next captain of Newcastle.

yohan cabaye 321

Yohan Cabaye – I lost the first game as Newcastle captain

Newcastle had numerous chances to go ahead in the second half,  as they began to dominate the home side, but Cisse, Debuchy, Gouffran and Sissoko all missed chances,  and Yohan had a great shot tipped onto and over the cross-bar by Swansea goalkeeper Michel Vorm.

And after the game yesterday Yohan Cabaye talked on the Newcastle web-site:

“It means a lot, because in my career this is probably only about the fifth time it has happened.” “For me it was fantastic, especially to receive the confidence from the manager for this role. It is a big thing.”

“But nothing changed for me. I stayed relaxed, focused and I didn’t want to be different just because I was captain.” “It was an honor for me but the main thing is the result and for my first time as Newcastle captain I lost the game. That is very disappointing.”

“We did the right things, especially in the second half, and we played well.” “But at the end we lost the game because we conceded a silly goal.” “It was hard to begin with because they were at home and wanted to press us very high and play quickly.”

“The second half, though, was very good for us because we played in their half, we kept the pressure on them and created good chances to score.” “Unfortunately we didn’t manage that but we have to stay focused on the next games and keep working hard. “

“We have got an important couple of matches which everyone is looking forward to.”

When Luke Moore finally put the ball into the back of the net with just five minutes remaining,  Yohan Cabaye put his head in his hands with frustration as he went to pick the ball out of the back of the net – and yes it was that “silly” goal that  cost Newcastle big time.

We are still only 6 points out of the bottom three, but Newcastle also have a better goal difference,  but it’s still too close for comfort with ten games remaining, and it now puts pressure on Newcastle to pick up all 3 points at St. James’ Park on Sunday afternoon against Stoke City.

And Stoke will be without Robert Huth, who has been banned for three games after violent conduct against Fulham last week.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News · Premier League · Yohan Cabaye

10 responses so far ↓

• 1 roshan MAGPIE // Mar 3, 2013 at 7:05 AM

hope we win against stoke I don’t care if we stay in europa league or not I want premier league football

• 2 WWYCD // Mar 3, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Barring his corner/free kick delivery he did very little wrong for me also captained well if Colo is to leave Cabs should be made permanent captain

• 3 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 3, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Ed, the goal was not the first time we were sloppy in defense!

…at the end of the game you need to score goals to win the game (we never looked like winners yesterday)

I thought we come into the game as it moved on and second half saw us play some great football at times. Still Pards doesn’t know how to use subs proactive. He still leaves alot for me to desire!

• 4 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 3, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Ohh yeah…beside the odd yellow card (a sad trademark by our midfielders) Cabs did great I thought :-)

• 5 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Mar 3, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Never mind Yohan, Its just one game?

If it was up to me this lad would have the Captains Armband on a Permanent basis !

If we needed any proof that another Striker needs to be signed then this was it! We totally dominated the second half, and on another day would of had at least a point!

• 6 true toon // Mar 3, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Yohan is going to leave next season if NUFC doesn’t show any Ambition during the summer. :(

• 7 geordiemark // Mar 3, 2013 at 8:44 AM

just one of them games really, think swansea were a bit lucky aye they had the first 15 minutes in first half but we played very well really, thought swansea were after another trophy yesturday a play acting trophy which they won, the ref booked tiote for feet up high yet I saw 2 swansea players do the same yet were not booked I thought swansea were very lucky

I would still try out a 3 man defence when colo returns 2 wing backs, id play goofy upfront id drop cisse to the bench as well as santon dont take nothing away from santon he goes foward brilliantly but defending not so good, pardew well hes the manager were not simple as that really

• 8 geordiemark // Mar 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM

true toon

I dont think cabaye will leave hes just got his best mate at the club dont think he will be going anywhere ive read somewhere that he has a 34million get out clause in his contract dont know if this is true or not but to me he is rated in the 40 million bracket

• 9 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Mar 3, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Swansea were lucky to get all three points, but heh Shit happens!

Move on and win on thursday in Russia against Hiddinks team, which is,nt going to be easy. Anzhi have Roberto Carlos and Eto in their team! It stays more important to beat Stoke next Sunday?

Swansea away has gone! Lets move on!

• 10 Dennis Twice // Mar 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Attack Toon Attack Attack!…Last?

previous post: Alan Pardew Interview After Swansea Loss – Video