Five Frenchmen In Top Six For Newcastle Yesterday

Newcastle had five Frenchman starting the game yesterday for Newcastle and in our poll for Man of the Match all five are in the top six best performing players.

moussa sissoko swansea

Moussa Sissoko in action yesterday

But it’s Steven Taylor who currently leads the poll and Steven had a great game to try to hold the back four together in the absence of captain Fabricio Coloccini, who will also not play against in Russia on Thursday night, because it’s an artificial Astroturf pitch.

Alan Pardew said after the game yesterday that it would be silly to risk Coloccini in the game because of his injured back.

Here are the results of the Mon of the Match poll – and there’s still time to vote – one vote per reader.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Swansea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• WWYCD

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Cisse bottom of the pile with Tiote and Santon? Hard to disagree though I think Tiote had a decent game

• Charlietoon

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Dont know if this has been mentioned yet but one thing I thought was fairly bad from Swansea was their players going down rather easily. The tackle the earned Cabaye his yellow card was not a good one but Dyer went down screming his head off as though he had had his leg broken. 10 seconds later he was on his feet running around. There is also it seems a standing order for all players to go down whenever tackled by Tiote. God if only this lad could get his form back. I think Anita needs to get a start next to Cabaye and we should have ben arfa back in place of Gutti fingers crossed.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Charlietoon
    Yeah I saw the Tiote, Dyer incident. Tiote did not touch him, he pulled his foot out of the challenge.
    Surely Dyer should of been book for simulation or whatever you call it. Also the scissor like tackle on Jonas was a bit naughty!!!
    never mind thought our second half was arguebly the best footballing display this season – just need to take or chances

• Gateshead-Mag

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:24 AM

i thought tiote played well apart from looking like he would get sent off at the end of the first half

• Hatem's better than Messi

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Cabaye’s free kicks and corners are terrible a complete waste.
    He also has a violent streak that will see him sent of sooner than later.

We were lacking … Demba Ba … with Ba we’d have won 1-3.
    We need a goal scorer … or two.

Great window but where’s the CF?

• Bambams

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Taylor should have stayed on his feet and approached the substitute. As soon as you go to ground if you do not get the ball you are out of it. Other than that Taylor was the mom for me.
    Need to start picking up more points.

• Gateshead-Mag

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM

hatem well get 5 in january 🙂

• Bambams

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Agree with the comments their players were screaming whenever Tiote went in for a tackle, definitely something that was already planned for.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I think catcys summary of yesterdays match shows what a clueless and pointless poster he is “we started off the better team then Swansea were all over us for the rest of the game”, I dont think I’ve ever disliked another poster so much in the time Ive been on here.

• WWYCD

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Hatem
    Violent streak? He’s a fiery bugger when his backs up but I wouldn’t say violent, haven’t seen him go to hurt anyone just to let people know he’s there and he’ll fight for his team

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM

JFA
    Aye the started well line made me chuckle seeing as we didn’t get near the ball for the first 20!
    Have to say yesterday’s result is a very tough result to swallow because we deserved to win that game and we were punished for not taking our chances, it happens in football but have to be honest cisse is really starting to worry me think hatem @5 is right, miss Ba :(!

• darrenfletcher88

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:59 AM

8 wins all season in the prem!!!! Crap!! We all think are players are fantastic but de Guzman,Britton,dyer and even routlegde contain the ball so easy pass to feet comfortable on it,and we have super stat tiote who is awful on the ball, jonas what can u say, and I love cabaye but bloody hell his delivery was shocking! Anita is greatly needed in that team!!marv surly offers more than jonas or am I missing somthing??

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Tads,
    Its all about strength in depth as with the defence before January we now have a forward line that knows it cant be dropped no matter how badly it plays, can you imagine the uproar on here if Cisse was dropped for Shola Ameobi.

• WWYCD

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Toonarmydownsouth
    All strikers go through rough patches mate u just have to stick with them until they pull out of it. Long as he is working he has time for me

He’s been unlucky this season tbf and stopped by keepers who were playing above their usual standards. We need more options up top no doubt but come summer I wouldn’t be shocked if Cisse is back to his best

• 2_goal_tino

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Don’t know whether it’s already been posted but Sammy’s very good goal against the Championship leaders…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KheJR3zW4i8

• Bambams

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:07 AM

This is just my opinion but we never seem to make more than 4 or 5 chances in a game. I still think with the players we have we should be able to make many more, I almost switch off whenever we have a corner these days. …
    Pards wanted pace but our passing at times is just not sharp enough, we need one touch football to move the ball quickly, again this is just my opinion.

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:12 AM

JFA
    Very true mate we have no competition upfront really especially with no other CF apart from goofy who is currently desperately needed on the LW! Just highlights the fact investment is still needed in the summer!

WWYCD
    Hmm not so sure mate, I don’t think he looks like even coming close, the sitters he’s missed are unreal and most the saves that have been pulled off vs him tbf he’s put the ball right at the keeper
    Just don’t have the faith he will find any form this season, a season that’s not got many games left tbf
    So what do we do next season? Keep fingers crossed he finds some form? Bring in heavy competition?

• Scotty

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Boils my wee reading this article….
    Totally biased southern slop. We played them off the park second half. Not one of our challenges warranted a yellow card. They rolled around like a bunch of girls – quite embarrassing really…..

• WWYCD

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Toonarmydownsouth
    Disagree mate and I will say I told u so when he starts firing regularly again. Come summer we bring in competition regardless of his form if we are seriously looking to challenge for European football and cups

• JAMSHA

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM

watchn the full match replay… tiote doin ok not bad.. but cisse worse

• Dannyo

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Tiote did half decent in the 2nd half.
    Maybe with the games, things are coming into his stride.
    I hope it does, cause we need an on form Tiote for the rest of the season.

I’m still royally pissed off by the loss though. Another highly probable 3 points gone yet again.

A “Woodwork and out” type season. Trying to swallow it, but it’s hard.

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM

WWYCD
    Believe me mate looking forward to you saying it!!

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM

WW…,
    A very bad case of deja vue hit me with your last statement there.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Morning all.

Well I didn’t get back in time for the game. In fact I was out when we finished the game, so checked the result and thought screw it and went out for a few drinks instead.

Just downloading the game to take a look, the question is, should I?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Danyo,
    Said last night that had we been pushing for a CL or EL spot then yesterday would have been a tradgedy, as it happens were not and we wont be relegated either so the game was fairly inconsequential tbf, the biggest downside is that the mackems went above us for a week.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Ibiza,
    Contrary to the result it wasnt a bad game.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Tiote was a different player after he got booked he tended to be walking on eggshells.
    Bit annoyed that Swansea players got away with a lecture yet our players got booked. Williams I thought was lucky with altacation with Sissoko.

Maybe ref believed the hype that Swansea are ‘footballing team’ so don’t need to tackle

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Jail…Cheers, I shall persevere. What’s the chances I still managed to get excited and hope we can get a goal? 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Just dont listen to catchys post match analysis.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Jail…Really? Normally his posts are worth a good chuckle.

• WWYCD

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Toonarmydownsouth
    As do I mate…just praying I am right haha but his names on the back of my shirt so I am fully behind our lil pocket rocket

JfA
    U mean me disagreeing with people without spouting insults? 😉

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM

WW…,
    Yes, I would never suggest that Ashley should spend some of my season ticket money on players.

• achtoon

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Jail, so you prefered catchy when he said he hoped we’d lose? Best just to ignore him

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Achtoon,
    No thats when I washed my hands with him and stopped having any banter with him other than to hurl insults his way.

• WWYCD

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM

JfA
    Haha squads are over rated mate we just need a couple ‘purples’ 😉

• bills-son

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Einstein said the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing but expecting to get a different result.

Playing Santon at left back and expecting him to defend well drops into the insanity bracket + for all his forward runs he actually produces vry little except to end up miles out of position when he loses the ball.

This isn’t my overreaction to a hard to take dfeat – I’ve been wary of Santon every since I saw his full debut against Swansea last season at home. Teams are targeting Santon – as Swansea did especially in the first half – and Gouffran is spending half his time tracking back to cover Santon when he should be further up hurting the oppo.

Got to say also that I’m not overly impressed with Debuchy defensively either. We’ve got two full backs who are far too easy to get past and seeing as a high percentage of goals come from crosses that makes us far too vulnerable and always likely to concede.

The squad had improved massively since the Jan window but Pardew needs to ibe ruthless in identifying weaknesses and replacing players who continually put results at risk. Santon is one of those players and for me I’d put Haidara in for Stoke. He reminds a bit of Enrique in the strength he has in a one on one. I’ll reserve judgement on Debuchy – better than Santon going forward but the first priority of any defender is to defend well and that is how Debuchy should be judged.

• archaeomag

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM

@Ibiza
    Worth a look
    I thought it was a good attacking disply 7 or so shots on target lots of wated corners – good to see them going forward.
    Tiote is much better with new hair . . .

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Bills,
    Hopefully when pre season comes around and the squad is strengthened further maybe he can try Santon on the left side of midfield in a few friendlies, a position that seems to be gathering momentum on here.

• bollance

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Pards acted like our 12th man in 1st half. He helped to turn the tide. Yesterday began like a game in the 1st half of the season but pards didn’t let it continue for too long.

We deserved to get a point out of the game. We didn’t hit the target enough.

• dmac

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM

How did Cabaye get some many votes? He was shocking yesterday. How can a player consistently fail to cross the ball.