The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle 17 Year-Old – I’ve Had Fantastic Welcome

6:46 pm, Monday, March 4th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 25 Comments

Kevin Mbabu hasn’t played for any Newcastle side as yet, but as with most youngsters coming into the club, he is being given ample time to settle in, and this lad came to Newcastle as one of the best young players at his age in Europe.

kevin mbabu 98732

Kevin Mbabu – in training at Newcastle

Kevin was the sixth player Newcastle brought into the club in January, with the five Frenchmen the other players – all of whom have started in the Newcastle first team.

And we expect more young players like Kevin to be brought into the club this summer, and that will probably be the bulk of the transfers this summer, although we still need a couple of new players to fill out the first team squad.

This is what the 17 year-old had to say in the Match-day program:

“I’m settling in really well in my first few weeks here.” “It is thanks mostly to the players, who have given me a fantastic welcome.”

“They have all been very kind. Of course, the French-speaking players have been great but I have also been spending a lot of time with the likes of James Tavernier, Sammy Ameobi and Haris Vuckic.”

“When I first arrived it was them who actually approached and talked to me first.” “I train mostly with the Reserves but from time to time – maybe once or twice a week – I am with the first-team and that is when there is a massive step up in terms of the rhythm.”

“My long-term aim is to play as a first-team player. I am only 17 so there is a long way to go but in the future I hope to integrate into the first-team and to succeed with them.”

“Since I was three years old, I have had my current hairstyle.” “However, it took a lot of time to get like it is now.” “I didn’t like people touching my hair at all so my mum decided it would be useful for me to get my hair like this so no-one would touch it.”

“The most tiring part of it is looking after it. But now, because I’ve had it done, everybody wants to touch my hair! It’s quite ironic.”

Kevin and his hair-do have played for the Switzerland U16, U17, U18 and U19 sides so far, and with his high visibility at Newcastle now, he should continue to play for the national side as he gets older.

Mbabu is an ambitious lad, and he chose Newcastle over other clubs who were interested in him, and they included Manchester United – so Newcastle must be doing a few things right these days.

We have very high hopes for this talented youngster,  who has a great attitude and excellent temperament – and now he needs to start getting some games under his belt on Tyneside.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Kevin Mbabu · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth

25 responses so far ↓

• 1 cyprus // Mar 4, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Game by game, it’s hard to know what will happen. We had good games vs. ‘big’ teams ( see Manchesters) even before our additions, so we could do some damage vs. arsenal and man city. Let’s assume there’s a point somewhere there. Liverpool is a tough one to call. They’re obviously better than us but the crowd may help us. Win or draw, I’ll go for a draw. The REAL games of the season for us are those vs. teams around us, the so called 6 pointers: draw at Wigan, loss to QPR, win at West Ham, Newcastle connections all over, they’ll do us the favour
    That’s 6 points there. See below for the other 4 points! ie. 10 ‘easy’ points! But it means we must beat Sunder
    1= Home team, x= draw, 2= away team:

Man City x
    West brom 1
    West ham 2
    QPR 1

• 2 yo-yo // Mar 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Glimps

Think yourself lucky. I’ve got a supplier down south who’s lost a parcel delivery to me and who thinks the Royal Mail doesn’t deliver in Scotland properly so wants to send me a parcel for £30 which is less than £2 by post. Couriers are useless up here but solar panels work just fine :)

• 3 tequilamag // Mar 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Clearly the long term replacement for Colos Barnet.

• 4 cyprus // Mar 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Villa tonight? We need a result in our favour.

• 5 yo-yo // Mar 4, 2013 at 6:52 PM

cyprus

I don’t think the fools are better than us as a team. They’ve got Gerrard who is still world class on his day but these are getting ess frequent and a racist striker who is pretty good and they rely on one or two players to save them most of the time.

• 6 Edd Case // Mar 4, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Nile Ranger – take note.

This is a young lad that WANTS to be a footballer, not a gangsta.

• 7 Harley // Mar 4, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Lets hope we’re better at bringing this one through than the rest. We have an awful record bring through youngsters.

• 8 Tinman // Mar 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Cyprus, its pretty difficult to try and predict our last 10 games so if I were you I wouldnt bother trying!

We will be safe in the premier league, easily.

What we should be doing is focussing on how we can get some kind of result in Russia and the sell out the St James a week on Thursday!

I think this kid is showing all the right signs. He seems to be getting quite a lot of media coverage as well, hopefully he can come good for us!

• 9 Tinman // Mar 4, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I wont be happy with anything less than a win in all games except Liverpool, Arsenal and City.

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Mar 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Has the blog stopped working.

• 11 Ginger // Mar 4, 2013 at 9:16 PM

@Tinman

Bit optimistic like?

• 12 JP...from The Rock // Mar 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Ed I don’t want to bust your balls or anything but where did it say Manchester United were also in for him? Really.

I am just sick of building my hopes up on these kids only to be let down time after time year after year.

Though noticing I am sounding like a negative prick there I do believe with this board, scouting system and experience in this field we will capture a few gems that will become first team regulars. Haidara and Bigirimana being two already here.

We are getting quality in which is great to see but we MUST above all else this season be focused on our survival as we are within inches from the edge of relegation. It’s a shame as I really believe we have a team able to lift the Europa Trophy this year.

• 13 Spuggy // Mar 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Decent goal by tevez

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Mar 4, 2013 at 9:52 PM

JP,
    These future stars are very good for the club in the long run,but if Collo leaves we need a top CB,and no matter what happens bar relegation we need a top striker brought in and one who is on the verge of being able to fit into the first team,like Bigi .

• 15 toonicle // Mar 4, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I can’t really see how Villa stay up now. Hoping we can take Benteke off their hands this summer.

• 16 JP...from The Rock // Mar 4, 2013 at 10:05 PM

JFA- But who? I would go for Bony / Aubameyang / Benteke / Lukaku / Guidetti. Any of those and I’ll be happy.

As for CB that’s a bit tricky as he needs to be as tall, strong, quick, young and above all calm and collective as Colo in games. A good reader of the game with good composure. Mbiwa is an amazing buy and will come good but we need one more as Saylor is way too injury prone. I would go for Sakho as our Colo replacement.

That would only leave us our Winger / CF left to solve the puzzle I feel.

We must stay up and then we will be a real force after summer.

• 17 nufc786 // Mar 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Mar 4, 2013 at 10:47 PM

JP,
    Not sure about the striker,I don’t play Fifa or watch any foreign football, but I’d love to sign that Samba if Qpr went down, probably unrealistic though with the wages some clubs are prepared to pay him.

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Mar 4, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Anyone seen that sneering photo of No Danger on NUFC.com, he just oozes ‘orrible.

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Mar 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM

JP,
    I don’t know why people keep mentioning Lukaku,hes not at Wba because Chelsea dont want him they paid something like 17M for him , why do people think they would sell him to us for 8M, and after his performances this season I doubt if hell be going out on loan again.

• 21 santonthenewmaldini // Mar 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Think this Mbabu looks like a decent prospect but what needs to happen with this lad is that he gets loaned out after the summer none of this waiting 2 or 3 years !!

Was watching the Swansea game and we are crying out for someone who is rapid up front and is constantly pulling defenders out of position if we had someone like Shane Long or Lukaku Cabaye and Sissoko would be able to find them all day with through balls could PEA be the man??

Actually think we might struggle to get him in the summer hope we have our French signings sown up already as other teams in the premier league will be waiting to see who we go for and try outbid us

Cisse’s movement is too strange or its non existent or he is in an offside position he was doing it last year as well so its just his style think some earlier passes from our guys would help him as well but he makes it difficult sometimes for the passer

• 22 AndyNUFC // Mar 4, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I have, as someone who was there ‘that day’, thoroughly enjoyed seeing Villa sign Insomnia and Stephen “That’s my other gran” Ireland. Now they are going down. I would love it, love it… As one messiah said… If they stay down.

• 23 89Norcal // Mar 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM

santonthenewmaldini

What we need is a proper winger, not Jonas who is shackled to defensive cover or Marveaux and Obertan. Gouffran is miles ahead of those guys with the threat he provides but he’s still for all intents and purposes, a striker.

Someone with ability on the ball and pace, who knows how to raise hell on the opponent’s wide areas is what we need.

• 24 89Norcal // Mar 4, 2013 at 11:33 PM

opponent’s wide areas being the wing of course :)

• 25 santonthenewmaldini // Mar 4, 2013 at 11:59 PM

@89 Norcal agree on that as well

Ben Arfa is one of those players!!!

Yeah would love to see us get a winger in the old Keith Gillespie mold of beat the full back and swing it in i still remember the Barcelona game

Why do we insist on playing players on their weaker foot so they cut inside?!?

Think Santon could actually be an amazing right winger as he can beat a man and can cross will probably get converted to one when he goes to Juventus or Ac Milan and will be a star back in Italy

previous post: Here Are Four Positives To Come Out Of The Swansea Loss