The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

I’m Punished Because I Already Have Lots Of Bookings – Tiote

9:37 am, Tuesday, March 5th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 7 Comments

Newcastle United midfielder Cheick Tiote has committed more fouls this season (41), and more yellow cards (8) than any other Newcastle player this season, but Cheick thinks he is improving on the discipline front, and he thinks it’s better than last season when he picked up 11 yellow cards.

cheick tiote tottemnham

Cheick Tiote – in action at Tottenham

The statistics don’t exactly bear out what Cheick Tiote is saying, and the Ivorian thinks his reputation is going before him with referees, and that could be true.

Cheick certainly picked up an unnecessary yellow card on Saturday when he challenged Nathan Dyer,  although TV replays showed he didn’t actually touch the player.

This is what the Ivorian said today on the Newcastle web-site:

“I don’t know why I was booked. I tried to take the ball but I didn’t touch anyone.” “The referee made a decision though and I have to accept that.”

“I think sometimes I get punished because people know I have a lot of bookings already in England. I think sometimes this happens. On Saturday I wasn’t at fault but I got a booking.”

“That’s football though, I just need to concentrate on my game and not let it affect me.” “I think my discipline is better now than last season. I need to keep doing the same things and to continue to improve in that way.”

I think my form is better. It was good for me to go to Africa.” “I feel better and I want to continue like this.”

Cheick Tiote has played quite well since returning from South Africa and the African Cup of Nations, but of course he has Vurnon Anita breathing down his neck for his starting position, and it could be that Vurnon fits better into the new system in defensive midfield.

Certainly when Vurnon came in against Metalist Kharkiv in the Ukraine, he had an outstanding game.

It will be interesting to see who starts in defensive midfield on Thursday night in Russia, when we take on FC Anzhi Makhachkala, in what promises to be a tough game in the Europa League, but we think Cheick can still do better on the discipline front, while keeping his aggressive play for the Magpies.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Discipline · Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jonny // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Anzhi’s defence is poor but their midfield and front two are high quality.

• 2 Rainrix // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Pardews so stupid, he got stabbed in a shoot-out.

• 3 Rainrix // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:48 AM

To be fair cheick was always on course for a yellow on saturday regardless of the high boot. Tiote seems to be doing a stellar job………. of being the new blog scapegoat along with santon.

I reckon a lot of the lads bookings this season are bore out of frustration with his own performance. I think if the lad just calmed down a bit and enjoyed his football he’d improve

• 4 HarrogateMag // Mar 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Cheick needs to take a long hard look at himself as he is dilusional if he thinks he doesnt deserve the yellow cards he gets. It seems he doesnt settle down until he’s had a yellow, as he goes diving into tackles so recklessly. Pardew needs to give him the hard word – in my book Perch is more reliable than him currently. I also dont like the new higher position he is playing either as he gets caught on the wrong side of play too often for me

• 5 Joe Blog // Mar 5, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Crap player. End if discussion.

• 6 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Don’t change your game tiote. This is what we love about you,

Guts
    No fear
    Strength
    Determination

• 7 Anita Go PeePee // Mar 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Yeh, it’s kinda pointless trying to remove the yellow cards from his game – it’s simply not possible with his style of play and would probably be detrimental to his overall performance levels. Besides, he’s actually very good at making sure he doesn’t receive 2 in the same game! We could solve the problem in a different way though, via a little switcheroo with Anita, who is vastly underrated at this club; a much better player on the ball and matches Tiote for work-rate.

previous post: Sports Direct Ties Up Ibrox Naming Rights – Rangers Make Loss