The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Inter-Milan After Newcastle Transfer Target

5:43 pm, Tuesday, March 5th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 121 Comments

Douglas of FC Twente was a big transfer target of Newcastle last January and last summer, but it would appear that Newcastle have gone off the big Brazilian for whatever reason, and his agent today says that the 6’4″ defender wants to play in Serie A.

douglas close-up

Douglas – on his way to Inter-Milan?

Douglas’ agent, Marcos Ribeiro, has claimed that Italian giants Inter-Milan are interested in signing the defender in the summer, when he becomes available as a free agent.

And it seems Newcastle’s opponents on Thursday Anzhi Makhachkala were also interested in Douglas, but he turned them down, presumable because he prefers Milan – and it’s definitely a little warmer there than in Russia.

This is what Marcos Ribeiro said today in Izvestia:

“It’s good to hear that Russian top club such as Anzhi asked for Douglas, but the player wants to play in Serie A.”

“When Inter Milan began to show an interest in my client, we decided to delay the transition and wait for the summer transfer window.”

So from those words of his agent, it seems that for one reason or another Newcastle have given up on Douglas,  and it seems most of our readers preferred French International Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa in any case, and there were some questions also about the Brazilian’s character.

But he is a good player,  and is good at set pieces from corners and free kicks into the box, which is what Newcastle have been woeful at for at least a year now – and even through Alan Pardew practices corners and free kicks every week – for some reason we don’t seem to be improving much at all.

Newcastle will  still need a center-back if Colo leaves in the summer, and maybe Newcastle  will make an attempt at bringing Andy Carroll back to Newcastle,  and if we get Andy back – at least it will make things interesting from corners and free kicks into the box.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Andy Carroll · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

121 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Mar 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Inter can have him. He’s overrated, but skilful, and reads the game well. Unfortunately he’s also like Titus Bramble and switches off in the final 3rd of the match.

• 2 Ginger // Mar 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM

REPOST

NUFC_LEAZES END

Depends really, if he is as good as everyone says he is (More then likely not) You could start integrating him into the team for when the inevitable happens. (Steven Taylor gets injured)

If you get a few minutes here and there in a winning team, he could be reliable premier league back up. I HIGHLY doubt it as he needs a few loans first, but you never know.

• 3 jayphoto // Mar 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Quite liked enid blytons books as a kid like……

• 4 jayphoto // Mar 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Excited to see us play against the biggest and best and with their finances Anzhi may become that! Been awesome in the russian league! If we didnt play great teams euro nights like the wins over barca and feyenoord would never happen! Pardew has hinted that the europa is a priority so expect to see a very strong line up! Glad tayls and MYM are getting time together as think this is the partnership we go into next season with

• 5 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 5, 2013 at 5:59 PM

@ginger

It would seem more logical to get the back up for saylor, and if streete is as good as what people say, then loan the kid out to a championship or league 1 team such as middlesborough or Hartlepool or something

• 6 Alain Pardeaux // Mar 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM

We’ll not get anywhere if Pardew’s practicing the corners everyweek

• 7 Ginger // Mar 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM

@NUFC_LEAZES END

But… Who would join Newcastle just to be back up to STaylor?

• 8 Mister Tuff // Mar 5, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Ibiza @118 – previous post – the point I was trying to make was that it will be an easier job to sell the club to prospective players if we show signs of progress. Clearly we were able to sell the club in order to get our recent additions but it will make it easier in the future if prospective players see us climbing the league or even winning the EL.
    Nowadays there are many young “super star” players who can pick and choose where they want to play – if their price tags are too high we may not be interested in them anyway but currently we would not stand a chance if the likes of Man U or Chelsea came in for a player we were interested in.
    Regular top four placement is the answer for the future. Last season we were not far off so a couple of more prudent acquisitions in the summer may get us there.

• 9 carl // Mar 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Tsunki
    The film was Identity and it’s from an Agatha Christie novel.

• 10 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Mister…I completely got your point, did I come off as arguing that? Apologies if so, that was not my intention. I was really just re-opening the cup vs league debate really, seeing as the topic seemed to be outing those with multiple accounts and do we really think that will go anywhere (besides the odd bit of good banter).

Anyway, I do agree, the club needs to be seen as progressing in order to attract the bright young talent that is out there, if we can show that we may even prove a better option that the so called big clubs, as we would more than likely be able to offer a challenge and more frequent games than the big boys.

So, for you, what would you rather see, general progress for the future or silverware in whatever shape a.s.a.p?

I would imagine a EL win would carry some importance when attracting new players as that guarantees us a place in next years tournament, unless I am mistaken.

• 11 carl // Mar 5, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Ibiza
    Howdy. Your a knowledgeable poster and I was wondering when Ian Toon last posted.? From time to time I leave him a message but he doesn’t appear to have been on for a while. Sorry to bother you.

• 12 lordy_geordie // Mar 5, 2013 at 6:28 PM

saw on Ladbrookes today. Anzi are second to win europa only behind chelsea.

• 13 Alain Pardeaux // Mar 5, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Mirin to be back up to Taylor and Aubameyang

• 14 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Carl…Knowledgeable may be off the mark, but thank you. He was on about a week or so ago. He mentioned writing some articles for .co.uk and that the audience was a little friendlier than this one, so maybe he has swapped allegiance or just taking a break from some posters investigating? :)

Lordy…Carrying (a poster on here) did an article on the EL odds, a decent read.

• 15 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 5, 2013 at 6:35 PM

@ginger

It wouldn’t just be back up to Steven Taylor it would be to compete for a first team spot.
    A player a bit like haidara, that is a decent young player, that could break into the team if he works hard.

Player like,

Stefan de vrij
    Jordi amat
    Marc Wilson
    Grant Hanley

• 16 carl // Mar 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Ibiza
    Thanks for that.

• 17 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 5, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Carl…No worries.

• 18 Bambams // Mar 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM

We will have to do very well to get anything from the game against Anzi.

All our lot need to be switched on and follow their runners.

In relation to Douglas, well in my opinion he has had his head turned by his agent to wait out his contract and get a huge signing on fee. Some of our targets have obviously not got the foresight see what they are missing by not playing for this fantastic club.

We do need someone who can help with scoring at set plays- we currently have no idea how to get goals from corners or indirect free kicks.

• 19 carl // Mar 5, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Bambams
    The problem is with the delivery.

• 20 Mister Tuff // Mar 5, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Carl/Pushy/Ian/Enid/Cool Dude @120 previous post.
    you asked a couple of questions – first question -the answer is no.
    You later ask ……..”or maybe you are trying to brighten up a dull life”. Being a compassionate person concerned about the well being of others my answer to you is yes I’m trying to help you. Do not rebuke others trying to help. In view of your blog exploits I think its a bit of a cheek, a bit rich, calling me Walter Mitty. Lastly I have no “cohort” -clearly yet again reference to your perceived obsession of others having allegiances/relationships. If you are suggesting these cohorts/allegiances/relationships are out to “get you” this may be the initial signs of a persecutory delusion. But all is not lost, you can get help for this condition through your GP. (it is treated/medicated in a similar manner to schizophrenia).

• 21 carl // Mar 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Mr Tuff
    If you only knew!!!

• 22 Rotonda heights // Mar 5, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Robin

Had some sympathy for you till you started on the homophobic nonsense on the last thread and made yourself sound like a 10 year old.

While I enjoy some things that Pardew has implemented, ie moments of brilliance such as playing Sissoko in an advanced role do I really realistically think even with all our new players he is the man to take us forward long term? No I can’t say hand on heart with any great confidence that I think he is.

I think his faults are his predictability, his loyalty to some players, playing people out of position and an inability to out think his counterpart managers.

I think he is forever caught between 1 or more options and doesn’t ever really know even now what his best team is or is afraid to play it. Pardew has a reticence to really go for it even from a position of strength in some games.

My feelings on Ashley are entirely mixed. When you see a club with a massive fan base such as ours then it would not be unreasonable to want to see a highly successful, highly qualified man in our dug out. Ashley obviously negates that possibility it would seem.

• 23 carl // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:02 PM

You should not mess around with things you don’t really have a clue about. Faced with the reality of such matters i guarantyyou would feel ashamed. We can all google but it’s dangerous to pretend you are an authority. Please think before you post because there are a number of posters with mental illness and learning difficulties. It’s no laughing matter and you should reflect upon your posting.

• 24 Mister Tuff // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Ibiza @10 – I think Percy has a bit of a dilemma at the moment – ie how strong to make the team for the EL games. It appears that the players are interested in progressing in the competition -but the opposition gets better and better. So in view of our lowly PL placement does Percy dare to play more of our better players on Thursday or does he name a similar team to the team he played against Metalist away and then play nearly all the first team for the second leg.. His selections for these games whilst keeping “first teamers” fresh for the PL games is very intriguing -just which way is he going to play it.

• 25 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Wow utd drop Rooney and kagawa but start Tom cleverly, changed my earlier prediction, Madrid are going to run riot over them!

• 26 carl // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Robin is not in that category. He is just dysfunctional which is very different. I understand your card has been marked on a number of occasions so I can only assume you just don’t believe what you are being told.

• 27 lordy_geordie // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Thanks for tht Ibiza

• 28 Twatter // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I personally find it ridiculous that Anzhi are second favourites. I think there’s far more chance of Spurs, Inter or Lazio winning it.

As for Chelsea? Of course you couldn’t rule them out but with Benitez in charge I find it laughable that they’re favourites.

I think there could be some serious cash to be won based on the way these odds have been formulated, might be worth putting money on one of the lesser favourites. I wouldn’t rush to put money on us, mind.

• 29 Mister Tuff // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Carl/Pushy/Ian/Enid/Cool Dude @21
    You state “if you only knew”.
    MMMmmmmm.
    Let me think now……….MMmmmmmm.
    Ah -you mean if I only knew you were involved in medicine.
    Hows’ about that for a shout?

• 30 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Rotonda…Whilst you may have agreed with some of Robins points, surely you could tell he is a complete wind up before his latest homophobic outburst? He doesn’t get grief for his views on Pardew really, just the way he goes about it.

Mister…It is a tough balancing act and one that I honestly cannot call (even what I think would be best, let alone what Pardew will pick). I’d like to say we’re on the road to safety as far as the PL goes and that it’s not so much of a concern now, but we all know that’s not completely the case. I would guess we’re safe and really will it matter too much this season if we finished 10th or 15th? Not really, but I don’t want to be waiting until the last couple of games to know we’re guaranteed safety.

At the beginning of the season I had said that the EL may prove to be nothing more than an entertaining distraction and that we certainly shouldn’t be going all out in the group stages, but these knock-outs are a different story all together. At this point, I lean towards going for the kill.

But away against Anzhi? I’d say go more defensive and keep the score down and try to get an away goal to bring back to SJP and then hit them with what we’ve got.

Tads…Fergie Out! Wait, that’s not our job is it? Got a bit over excited there, apologies.

• 31 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Lordy…No problem.

Twatter…Never ever rush to put a bet on Newcastle, whether it’s to win or lose it’s a mad mans bet :)

• 32 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Ibiza/tough
    In all honesty i still don’t think we have enough fire power to really take it to teams as the away team
    Gouffran is ineligible, jonas should be rested, HBA not fully fit so that leaves us with obertan and marveaux, Marv for me doesn’t really turn up when he’s played wide and then obertan is well………..obertan
    Couple that with cisse being out of form goals might be hard to come by
    Having said that our midfield suddenly looks full of goals

• 33 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Tads…Agreed. So keep it tight away from home and give them what we got at home?

• 34 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Ibiza
    We’ll rout those crafty fcuking Russians at home ;)

• 35 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Tads…That’s the spirit. I’m expecting 2 tough games and will be absolutely ecstatic if we get through to the quarterfinals.

If we do manage that, it will of course be no thanks to Pardew and he’ll only mess it up in the next round…

• 36 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Evening ‘yall!

…so what time are we playing Anzhi on Thursday? In future time please ;) lol

• 37 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Ibiza
    Pffffftttttt pardwho?
    That clueless muppet couldn’t get a top 6 finish finish and a european competition if his life depended on it…..

• 38 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Pardew! who’s that ;)

• 39 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Jesper…..Good evening, hope all is good and that Junior is feeling better.

I believe it’s a 6pm (future time) KO.

• 40 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Jesper
    Well it’s 5 o’clock in normal land so i have no idea what time that is in your time

• 41 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Ibiza…thanks mate :-)

…villads is up and running again.

That’s an early game (do you have time for thst?)

• 42 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Tads/Jesper…I’m actually not sure, he just seems to get mentioned a lot on here so I thought I’d play along.

Do you think it might be that bloke who stands on the side of the pitch during our games or maybe he’s just a slightly better dressed linesman? I seem to remember him playing around with a linesman last season whoever he is!?!?

And what is a top 6 finish finish? Tbf, it sounds hard to pull off.

• 43 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM

*that

• 44 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

tads…future time is +1

…memorize it ;) lol (thats for the info by the way)

• 45 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Jesper…Too early to tell unfortunately. It’s looking like a hectic week, but I will be doing what I can to make sure I catch it.

Maybe I should schedule a “meeting” and just sit in an internet cafe somewhere undisturbed? I’m starting to think I should have thought of this some time ago….

• 46 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

*thanks

• 47 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:33 PM

and glad to hear Villads is better :)

• 48 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Ibiza…I was just about to say that (you know you are never going t invent the wheel or something with that slow thinking of yours)

• 49 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Jesper…I get the feeling you’re having a dig…no doubt I’ll know for sure sometime later this evening :)

Oh wait, you’re saying I’m slow!

• 50 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Bazinka!!!

• 51 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Gazprom certainly know how to make people lose interest before the match starts, what a sh1t CL entrance, it’s like a cheap remake of the snowman!!!

• 52 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Right then, I am off for a bit. Might catch you all later.

There’s something that winds me up. Having responded to Catchy many times on here, whenever I write the word catch, I always type it as catchy first. Grrr…. :)

Anyway, bye for now.

• 53 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:40 PM

See ya!!! I’ll g get some mocca :-D

• 54 JAMSHA // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Wee Wee Club 0-2 Real… glad Benzima da c**t is out…

• 55 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Think ronaldo might be on the take tonight!

• 56 JAMSHA // Mar 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Wee Wee Club 0-2 Real… glad Benzima da c*** is out

• 57 MacToon // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Carl says “there are a number of posters with mental illness and learning difficulties”

funny that as IT mentioned it a few times too or was it Pushy ;-)

Where’s Belfast gone! Howay man I’m missing the abuse…..

• 58 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM

MacToon
    They both said it as they were the same poster ;)

• 59 MacToon // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:12 PM

ha ha Tads is that true lmao, I suggested it a while ago and notice J4A, Mr Tuff and Rotonda all have said similar. It is a bit sad if true but I believe imho it’s part of his/their uni course. Wonder if they pass or not.

OT’s loud tonight and they are unlucky not to be ahead.

• 60 Tsunki // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Dont mention Belfast man…..

Carl – I know it was Identity, I posted that earlier as a remark about someone elses comment, but better late eh? :)

Speaking about movie trivia, Danny Welbeck is the Arsenio Hall character off Coming to America.

• 61 MacToon // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Tsunki, I see you post on .co.uk a bit, have you ever seen our friend or his alter ego’s posting there?

• 62 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Jammy jammy manc b@stards no way that goal should be disallowed

• 63 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I’d forgotten what a good player xabi alonso is!
    That varane looks a cracking player too

• 64 Tsunki // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Mactoon – Troy wandered here after a spat with his brother B&B but then ‘disappeared’. I can’t imagine he would go back to .co.uk after such an acrimonious departure, or that he would stop blogging altogether, soooooo…….

Is it his style?

• 65 JAMSHA // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:27 PM

YEAAA KAKA COMES IN

• 66 MacToon // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I seen Troy post here a day or two ago(didn’t realise B7B was a relation lol) but I meant IT, Pushy etc. as ithey said there are real toon army fans posting at Toonsy’s ha ha
    I wonder if people realise most these other blogs were created by ex bloggers from here!

• 67 Mister Tuff // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Watching the Man U game -wow it’s fast and furious stuff -don’t think we could compete with them —–yet.

• 68 MacToon // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Lol OG for 1-0, certainly an entertaing game Mr T.

• 69 JAMSHA // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Fluke goal

• 70 JAMSHA // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM

hope real.score 2 i have a bet placed wit my frnds who suxs n licks fergis a**

• 71 Mister Tuff // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:54 PM

MacToon it’s a good game -the running off the ball/players making themselves available is first class. Have to dash back to the big telly.

• 72 MacToon // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM

What a shocker lmao, poor Nani!

• 73 JAMSHA // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM

NANIIIIIIII BYE BYE :-D

• 74 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM

As much as I hate Man U that was a shocking decision :)

• 75 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM

WHAT!! Fcuking he’ll that was never never a red card that’s ridiculous! Thought these were supposed to be the best officials in Europe!

• 76 JAMSHA // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM

NANIIIIIIII BYE BYE :-D ..

• 77 MacToon // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Ha ha, Jose agrees with the rest of us by the looks of it, embarrassing decision.

• 78 Dagwoodz // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:05 PM

And if there was any doubt over Nani staying MU or leaving, it just ran down the tunnel after him after being sent off. Regardless of whether it should have been a red card or not.

• 79 JAMSHA // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Goallllllllll :-D

• 80 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:08 PM

It’s have got no chance now

• 81 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:10 PM

What a goal. Fantastic play

• 82 JAMSHA // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Goalllllllllllll :-D

• 83 Dagwoodz // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Fergie is going to have an aneuryism….

• 84 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:20 PM

That French lad Varane looks unreal for his age

• 85 LINTONTOON // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Breaking news . 2- 0 to the Hearts ….

• 86 JAMSHA // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM

diego lopez was world class… supb saves

• 87 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Don’t you just feel so sorry for Fergie ? .

Not HAHAAA :)

• 88 Paps // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM

How much do u reckon that ref was paid to do that?

• 89 ToonDownSouth // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Poor decision, but I’m glad it happened.

The down side is that now we have to hear about it all month.

• 90 Jail for Ashley // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Its a shame that a bad decision can ruin a spectacle like that,its primitive that were not using hawk eye and the like in our beautiful game.

• 91 Mister Tuff // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Refs decision spoilt a good game. Also Andy Townsend is a rubbish commentator -for an ex-professional -he does not know the rules of the game. Very poor indeed.

• 92 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:48 PM

My God I can’t stand Roy Keane. Guy hasn’t got a clue

• 93 Tsunki // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Keeeeanoo-oh as the scum liked to shout, is a career-ending lout with a grudge against his former employer. When he says it deserved a red take it as the final authority that it didn’t. Shame for Nani, but in the end good for footy and even better for my dislike of the Mancs.

• 94 bollance // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Ian toon

I hold my hands up, I got it wrong, Real progress.

• 95 Tino99 // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Unbelievable, man utd have never one in 4 matches when that ref is refereeing. He has sent off 3 players over those matches. Utd were playing one of the best I have seen them play. Fuming and also hate Keane!!!! He has such a chip on his shoulder because fergie got rid of him because he is an absolute idiot

• 96 Jail for Ashley // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Keano Keano wa#nks his dog…..

• 97 bollance // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Bearing in mind we spent a fortune (for us) in the jan transfer window. It is more than likely we will be looking in the bargain basement bin over the summer.

Who should we be looking to bring in? Douglas could have been an option on a free but as he wants an Italy move not likely. Plus G is right he lacks concentration.

Who else would be good value?

• 98 Tino99 // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:56 PM

At the end I respect utd they have done well over the years and is what football is all about. Keane literally doesn’t know anything saying th premier league is average

• 99 MacToon // Mar 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM

It’s the poor refereeing which continually raises it’s ugly head, I don’t think replays for the ref in this instance would help as it’s an interpretation and not an “over the line” kind of decision.
    Football and it’s player’s have improved over the last decade or two but refereeing imho hasn’t and lets the game down.

I see technology is to be introduced next season which is long overdue but I don’t think it’ll be used for offsides which I think it should but only goal and “over the line” incidents.

• 100 Paps // Mar 5, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Top two teams in europe are madrid and Barca. The next 5 or 6 are arguably from the prem. I think that’s above average mr keane

• 101 magpie79 // Mar 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM

breaking news cisse is struggling for europa league game hes been laid up in bed all day ive been told

• 102 bollance // Mar 5, 2013 at 10:38 PM

magpie79

There have been quiet a few in our team missing games for illness this season, more than other seasons?

Shola and HBA upfront? or Sissoko and HBA upfront?

• 103 bollance // Mar 5, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Or Sissoko and Shola upfront?

• 104 Jail for Ashley // Mar 5, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I can see the logic in letting six strikers go and bringing only one in during the space of six months, but only if you have a five year plan that isn’t made up monthly and is well thought out by people who know football better than the FTSE.

• 105 Tinman // Mar 5, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Paps,

Arent you forgetting Bayern and Dortmund….

• 106 bollance // Mar 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Jail

Lovenkrands
    Best
    Ba
    Ranger
    Xisco
    ?

• 107 ToonDownSouth // Mar 5, 2013 at 11:03 PM

The problem is that you’re all (as I was) expecting the referee to interpret it as a British PL referee would.

It’s a European game. Things are different.

It really was not THAT bad a decision – they happen all the time.

We got royally screwed over against Metallist the other week, but instead of moaning we manned up and won the tie in the Ukraine.

Manchester United’s reaction to the decision was what lost them the tie – they went nuts.

• 108 TimKrulFan // Mar 5, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Barca and real are not the top teams anymore its tough to say who is though.

• 109 Jail for Ashley // Mar 5, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Bollance,
    Somebody mentioned Sammy Ameobi the other day so theoretically thats six, although I would probably only kept Best out of all those , Ba being out of our hands, I still find it unforgivable that a position that needed seriously strengthening before all these players left has been virtually ignored as was the centre back situation until it became deplorable.

• 110 Jail for Ashley // Mar 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM

TDS,
    I disagree mate there’s a difference between a goal disallowed and a man being sent off early in a half and the fact you said we went and won the next game there wasn’t a second game in this instance and I find it a shame that one poor decision can ruin a whole campaign, I am very much in favour of video refereeing.

• 111 bollance // Mar 5, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Jail

I am not sure we have ignored brining in a striker. Gouffran and sissoko could potentially play upfront together. So u could argue with the Jonas favoritism Cisse could make way and Jonas keep his play when HBA comes back into the team on the wing, if that makes sence?

Plus at the prices we want to pay for players i would argue ST is the hardest position to buy.

If Cisse was on form then this would not be an issue.

• 112 bollance // Mar 5, 2013 at 11:42 PM

My Euro top 5 in this order

Barca
    Man Utd
    Bayern
    Real
    Chelsea (debatable)

• 113 bollance // Mar 5, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Where are the pards bashers..

Fergie inept for leaving Rooney on the bench?

• 114 TimKrulFan // Mar 5, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Bollance they were bossing the game.

• 115 Jail for Ashley // Mar 5, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Bollance, even with all the below par players we have mentioned leaving, like I said we needed to strengthen, like many I am very pleasantly surprised by Gouffran, I would have been appeased if Id have known that Gouffran would have been bought even if Remy was signed but something tells me that had of Loic Remy been brought in we might have been a few players short regarding Sissoko and Hairdara, if that were the case had Remy been injured we really would have been in the sh1t.

• 116 ToonDownSouth // Mar 6, 2013 at 12:20 AM

JFA

But I don’t really think it was that bad a decision mate.

Was watching the game on continental TV – since I can’t stand listening to those clowns on ITV – and all the pundits agreed it was a red card, if maybe slightly harsh due to the lack of intent.

If the roles were reversed, and Arbeloa was sent off for the same challenge on Nani, I doubt we’d hear much about it.

• 117 Mister Tuff // Mar 6, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Hatem’s better than Messi @37 previous post.
    I’ve just tried the TV link you suggested -Filmon tv.
    Very good quality -evening using my old laptop -playing on the Beeb was the film -The Killing Fields -excellent quality.
    As another poster commented -will be ideal to use when not in the UK. I’ll give it a try using faster laptops later on in the week.Good recommendation -cheers.

• 118 Mister Tuff // Mar 6, 2013 at 12:47 AM

previous post error
    evening = even

• 119 Jail for Ashley // Mar 6, 2013 at 1:19 AM

TDS,
    Where do we draw the line, either we stop allowing a players foot to be raised higher than a designated hight or fair play is decreed, if a player can’t by regulation bring his foot further than 1.Xm high does that mean Mark Hughes wonder scissor kick goal would have been a sending off, and btw when was Roy Keane ever an authority to talk about dangerous play.

• 120 Jail for Ashley // Mar 6, 2013 at 1:23 AM

height, before carl ,pushy or Ian Toon get on my uneducated case

• 121 MacToon // Mar 6, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Talking about a high foot, did you not see Crouch whack the guy in the face while he attempted a overhead kick at the weekend…….

previous post: The Anzhi Makhachkala Captain Is Some Player