The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Newcastle Teenager Has (Very) High Ambitions

11:21 am, Wednesday, March 6th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

North Shields born 5’7″ striker Adam Campbell is on the plane to Moscow today, and after a knee injury in mid-season he is now starting to show Alan Pardew just what he can do, and he has been impressive training recently with the Newcastle first team.

Newcastle United Training Session

Adam Campbell in training (?) at Benton

Adam has only one first team appearance for Newcastle so far, and that was last August against Atromitos in the Europa League, and he would probably have played more but for the knee injury this season.

But Adam has high ambitions to become a starter at his home town club, and he has still scored 8 goals in 10 U21 appearances for Newcastle this season – not too bad at all.

Adam turned 18 years old on January 1st, and he had this to say today in the Evening Chronicle:

“The injury earlier this season hindered my stride a bit.” “I’m looking to get back into it now and get a few bench appearances, maybe get on the pitch a few times.” “Towards the end of the season I want to push on.”

“Then I can kick-start myself for next season.” “Then I will have a good platform to work from.” “Hopefully I’ll make the trip. (he’s on the plane) “But it is more important that we get the result there.” “It’s not about me being selfish and saying I want to play.”

“We have the players to mix around now, so I’m pretty sure we have a good squad.” “There are a lot of players who can play in different positions.” “Yoan Gouffran can play there, Moussa can hold the ball up too.”

“On paper it looks like third choice but I know I have a lot of work to do to get myself in there.”

Newcastle have let three strikers go recently – Spanish U21 International Xisco finally left the club in January, and joined Spanish second division club Cordoba, and we got his £50K/week wages off the wage bill.

And then the sad case of Nile Ranger having his contract ended with Newcastle by mutual consent, and 20 year-old Sammy Ameobi is off to Middlesbrough for the rest of the season, and the 20 year-old seems to have made a decent start in his first two games at the Riverside.

Adam Campbell could therefore get some first team playing time before the end of the season, and the word on this lad is he is a real professional, and his attitude and temperament are simply first class – and it’s these kinds of traits in youngsters who usually en up making it big time in the game of football – especially when you have the undeniable skills of an Adam Campbell.

We still remember Campbell’s late cameo appearance at Cardiff City in pre-season, where he looked unbelievably quick and caused the Cardiff defense all kinds of trouble in those short 10 minutes he was on the field.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Adam Campbell · Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle Academy · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Newcastle Youth

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bambams // Mar 6, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Deserves his chance but cannot see Pards playing him.

• 2 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 6, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Very sensible words, just wish the club had been abut more pro active in finding him a good club for a loan spell, we really need to improve on this!
    Do we even do any research into clubs as too what clubs would actually be a good fit in terms of training, how and when they plan on using the player etc?
    Because we seem to be one of the only top flight clubs who’s players come back none the wiser!
    Sammi looking like the first to go on loan at a good level maybe inman and dummett

• 3 Carryingcoals // Mar 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Repost:

tads / ibiza

On the whole Carroll debate/saga I’ll give you my ten pence worth…

LOved him when he was here, loved the team at the time, the grit and comraderie that got us out of the championship, Hughton’s team spirirt, Nolan, Barton, Carroll etc. It was great and when it broke up I was worried.

However – that was one team cycle. It’s finished. Bringing Carroll back is a regressive step for me. Plus as you say tads we dont have an adept crosser to suit his game anyway.

Pardew seems to be working towards a formation whereby we have attacking fullbacks and a brilliant holding midfielder in a 4-3-3. At our best we play with European flair, HBA and Gouff will be either side of a good goalscorer. Ok right now Cisse isn’t doing that, but the type of forward to play in that role isn’t a big target man. Yes the player must be able to hold the ball up, but quick interchange, intelligence and a poaching eye for goal are most important.

You could say we could bring AC back to improve the squad. Would he improve it? Yes. However he’d want the number 9 and he’d want to start, plus with a big man in there you know players will inevitably change their style of play and hoof it.

For the money he’d cost, we could get a better alternative. I really liked the guy but we have moved on in many ways. It would be a no from me.

• 4 Carryingcoals // Mar 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM

outside the box

When I said technical players and included shola in that lineup, I was focusing rather on the midfield. With Cisse left behind, Shola is our only realistic alternative, technique aside.

• 5 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 6, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Carrying
    My sentiments exactly mate well put
    Think he will continue to divide opinion but personally think there’s much better players for the money and he’s shown he can’t play in a fast tempo’d team

Ibiza
    Your the worst kind of bully! I hear catchy is in theory because of you! 😉

• 6 jayphoto // Mar 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Think campbell is being managed well, at 18 hes still young and first team football at such an early age can really hinder a career, michael owen and wayne rooney both peaked too young and both started decling at about 26! Would like to see campbell get some time off the bench and then out on loan next season to a middlesboro, leicester, palace like team (good championship teams that play passing football)

• 7 asenski // Mar 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Cannot be worse than Shola

• 8 jayphoto // Mar 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Anybody see they released JJ Hooper?? That lad joined us over a trial with madrid and liverpool, must really have not progressed

• 9 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 6, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Jayphoto
    Tbf mate given the category b status and lack of players coming through I don’t expect to see many of our younguns make it until we get the youth academy sorted out properly

• 10 Hatem's better than Messi // Mar 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Better to loan him to Boro too!

Let him get some time on the pitch not on our subs bench then never used.

• 11 Pushy Pardew // Mar 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Tads
    Tim Krul on loan at Falkirk and Carlisle did well. But your right ideally 18-19 is ideal age to get players out on loan. The problem has been to get sufficient players to still function. Well we have no excuses now.

• 12 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Tads…Trust me, catchy and theory are not two things that can be put together…therapy on the other hand… :)

• 13 lesh // Mar 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Looking at the pic, I wonder if Pards’s showing Campbell how to ghost in behind Anzhi’s defence?

• 14 lesh // Mar 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Jay. Who JJ Hooper?

previous post: Was Ben Arfa’s Hamstring Injury That Bad – Initially?

next post: Yohan Cabaye A Great Example For Newcastle’s New Players