The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Are A Team Full Of Initiatives – Hiddink

9:57 am, Thursday, March 7th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 18 Comments

Guus Hiddink has been watching Newcastle in the last few games, and the Anzhi Makhachkala manager seems to have formed a good opinion about the current Newcastle side, and he thinks they are a good side who don’t wait back – and they have modern players with skill, and they are what Guus calls a modern team.

guus hiddink anzhi  98

Guus Hiddink – Newcastle are full of initiatives

But of course Newcastle are still looking over their shoulders at a relegation possibility in the Premier League, but Hiddink seems impressed with the new Newcastle – after Mike Ashley brought in five French players in January for around £18M.

This is what Hiddink had to say to the press today:

“From what I saw in the last games, I respect the way they are playing.” “It’s not a waiting team – it’s a team full of initiative – and that’s a team people like to see.”

“That’s why we play football – for people to enjoy the team. Although we have to play them, and that’s why we have focused a bit more on them, if we didn’t have to play them, I would still enjoy seeing a team with such an attitude.”

“They have modern-equipped players in all positions.” “But of course if you mention the big names – Shola Ameobi, Papiss Cisse, Moussa Sissoko – all the players are technically skillful, but also in the athletic part of the game, they are very powerful.”

“But it’s a team I think now has a good balance in their defense, although there might be some changes.” “But if Fabricio Coloccini cannot play, Steven Taylor can play, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa can play. They are strong.”

“I am sure they also have aims of being in the final in Amsterdam on May 15, that’s what I’ve heard.” “There will be no difference in their attitude. They won’t think ‘we have to play on Saturday or Sunday in the Premier League, we will take this game for granted’. ”

“No way whatsoever – like us.”

Newcastle will likely start with a back four of Simpson Taylor (S) Yanga-Mbiwa and Haidara, and that’s the same back four that played at Metalist Kharkiv, apart from Steven Taylor coming in for the injured Fab Coloccini.

Alan Pardew will have to keep some players fresh for the Stoke City game on Sunday, and Mathieu Debuchy and Yoan Gouffran are ineligible and didn’t travel to Moscow, and we think Davide Santon and Cheick Tiote will also be on the bench tonight and should be fresh for Sunday, and of course Papiss Cisse should also be ready to play, after he gets over his virus.

And captain Fabricio Coloccini has an outside chance of starting against Stoke City – depending on how quickly his injured back recovers.

It would be great to get two wins in our next two games, but we’d take a draw and a win – but it is important we beat Stoke On Sunday afternoon at home.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Injuries · Newcastle News · Premier League

18 responses so far ↓

• 1 Carryingcoals // Mar 7, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Something tells me we will lack a bit of initiative going forward with strolla tonight though…

• 2 magpie6699 // Mar 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Repost
    IITian Toon – why are you fearing the worst – is maroon unlucky for us. It got me musing about our superstitions. I always wear a NUFC sweatshirt or polo on home match-days with black jeans and socks. When we are playing away I try to avoid wearing any of the opposing team’s colours – it makes me feel uncomfortable and if we lose I feel bad. Now how stupid is that? There’s some term for having (illogical) notions that things you do have effects on things beyond your power, but I can’t remember what it is. You know, like, I shouldn’t have washed my car, that’s why it rained. Anyway, some fools think it’s to do with the stars but us Taureans don’t believe in Astrology!

• 3 yorkshire_magpie // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Its going to be interesting who will play down the wings with guitirrez and gouffran being out.

• 4 Carryingcoals // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:01 AM

ibiza

dont worry, I’m a huge advocate of terrible puns really!

• 5 magpie6699 // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:03 AM

PS Anybody having problems with tickets for next week’s home leg? I paid for 2 as usual, one arrived last Satyrday and I’m still waiting for the second?

• 6 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Carrying…That’s fortunate as I have little else to offer.

I think today we may be able to redefine “modern football” – Guus best have his notebook at the ready.

• 7 Rainrix // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Ah guus guus mind games really? Its a bit pointless, Pardews so stupid he thinks mind games solely constitutes Dr Kawashima’s Brain Training

Or maybe he likes us? Nah doesn’t seem right

• 8 Carryingcoals // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Rainrix

I think you condemn Pardew a bit too much. Admittedly he has his faults and repeated mistakes, however I think he knows how to set us up for a game of this nature.

I think as fans we have to watch the game tonight, knowing we won’t be at our best. I expect us to largely sit behind the ball, frustrate them and try to focus on disrupting their rhythm more so than play our own fluent game. We did this quite well in Kharkiv. If we can nick an away goal tonight and get a 1-1 or even lose 2-1 I think we will certainly have achieved something.

They’re a good side, second favourites to win the competition and we are missing some big players.

I think Pardew’s approach is crucial and I actually have faith in him. The players must now perform.

• 9 Carryingcoals // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:10 AM

sage / ibiza

How’s that for optimism?!

• 10 JAMSHA // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Could He B Our Nxt Manager??? So Many Interview How Good We R

• 11 Transfer Sage // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:11 AM

If somebody as good as Hiddink can see our recent progress then surely those who doubted Pardew (and I did myself, I questioned his ability to play good football) must admit their mistake.

I was happy to judge pardew at the end of the season after he got his new players but he has shown already he can get them in a good system pretty quickly and we will hopefully continue to improve.

It’s certainly better than the sideways, sideways, backwards, sideways….lets give it to suarez and hope he scores football than liverpool play.

• 12 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Rainrix…Yeah, you neggar :)

Carrying…Well said, someone needs to put that fool in his place (Rainrix, not Pardew).

I’m with you on your ideas for the game tonight, it will be tough and the main objective for me is to bring back a result we can attack in the home game…an away goal would be wonderful and to not be more than one goal behind.

Sounds simple really :)

• 13 Transfer Sage // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM

carrying

Very optimistic. I don’t mind negativity though, as long as it is justified.

I think this is a competition where we aren’t expected to win so lets just enjoy our time left in regardless of how it turns out.

• 14 Rainrix // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Carrying… Don’t tell anyone but im actually satirising the neggers 😉

Regardless i actually expect to lose tonight as they are a strong side but we’re imo more than capable of beating them at home. An away goal could be absolutely vital as they were for AZ last time we were in europa. A 2-1 loss tonight wouldn’t be a disaster. A draw would be excellent, a win outstanding.

We can hope :)

• 15 Carryingcoals // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Jamsha

I highly doubt it. He’s simply profiling us, fulfilling media obligations I think. I wouldn’t read anything in to at all.

• 16 Carryingcoals // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:15 AM

rainrix

Apologies, I was unaware!

• 17 IITianToon // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Guys check out Checik Tiote’s new girlfriend! 😛 😛
    PS: Discretion advised.

• 18 Carryingcoals // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Generally speaking, I think Taylor and Mbiwa are pivotal tonight.

I’ve always thought, as a fanbase, we over-rate Taylor. However, he’s been brilliant in the past 4 games he’s played, he’s really impressed.

I also find it a significant coup that we managed to capture Mbiwa. Hopefully the pair of them are on their game tonight.

Strange that Williamson hasn’t made the trip though. Pards obviously has faith in Perch to come in if one of the two gets injured. Mind you, Williamson isn’t exactly one of these ‘technical’ players Pards keeps talking about for tonight, is he…

previous post: Hiddink – Newcastle A Good Side Who Play Modern Football

next post: What Team Will Pardew Start Tonight?