Newcastle Side So Much Stronger Than Four Years Ago

Guus Hiddink was in charge of Chelsea four years ago, when he took over at Chelsea for the sacked Brazilian Luiz Felipe Scolari, and in early February 2009 Guus became Scolari’s replacement until the end of the  season, whilst continuing his duties as Russia’s National football manager.

Newcastle United's manager Shearer stands next to Chelsea manager Hiddink during their English Premier League soccer match in Newcastle, north east England

Shearer and Hiddink on April 4th, 2009 at St. James’ Park

It’s interesting to note that Scolari was appointed the Brazil manager again last November, and could be the manager for the very important World Cup next summer, but Brazil are still ranked at 18 in the FIFA rankings – the lowest ranking in their history. Scolari was Brazil’s manager when they won the World Cup in 2002 by beating Germany 2-0 in the final.

England are ranked at number 4 in the FIFA rankings, which seems too high given the team we have at the moment – and for US readers – the USA is ranked at number 32 under current manager Jurgen Klinsmann.

When Guus was managing Chelsea,  Newcastle were fighting relegation, and in Alan Shearer’s first match in charge of the team at St. James’ Park on April 4th of 2009,  we lost 2-0 in front of a sold-out St. James’ Park.

Hiddink thinks the team is dramatically changed from those days – when we had some highly paid stars on the team – and had the sixth highest wage bill of around £74M in the Premier league.

This is what the Anzhi manager told the press today:

“It’s dramatically changed – the Newcastle side – compared to my period at Chelsea and recently, they have made their side much stronger.” “They were not living up to their standards in the first half of the season.”

“They were fully aware of that and they made some very good signings, and it has shown in their results recently.” “That means they are powerful. It’s not just because we are playing them, but it’s really true and their results are proving that.”

“It’s a modern team, I like to see a team that’s a modern team.”

Guus seems to use that modern word a lot in describing Newcastle, and he’s been very complimentary about the Newcastle side this week.

We’ll see how well Newcastle do against his Russian side, with a draw or even a narrow defeat by one goal and we score – are probably all acceptable results that give us a chance of going through next Thursday night at St. James’ Park.

It would be fantastic if can reach the quarter-finals of the competition.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Rotonda heights

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Did Owen and Rooney ever go out on loan at 18?

How do you ever get experience if you’re not given a chance?

Campbell has what we desperately lack: pace and composure.

Sage didn’t Livepool beat Anzi 3-1 at home but it wasn’t enough?

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Repost

Off topic but does anyone know how much we payed for Elliot???

• Ginger

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:57 PM

@Nufc Leazes

I think £500k, can’t be sure though.

• DokToon

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM

US at #32.. woohooo!! WC is on my side of the pond so ill get to see lots of matches…

oh, and go NUFC!!! id love to see a beatdown by the boys today, ive got it taping….

• Dagwoodz

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I think Ginger is pretty close. Was less than a million quid. I think it was closer to 750, but I have nothing to back that up.

• outsidethebox

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:01 PM

not obertans biggest fan but can see him tried up front as there are no other alternatives…no reserve striker ..so left between shola (first touch is last )on sythethic surface cambell too lightweight ..or obertan who would challenge for high balls and run all day chasing balls thru channels…expect shola to start but imo may be making of obertan

• Dagwoodz

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM

according to this site, the fee was only 100,000. Quite a steal IMHO…

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Cheers lads , I was just thinking to myself, he could be the underdog bargain buy for us. I think he has the quality to be 3rd choice England keeper, nd if he ever got a lucky chance and got an appearance for England, imagine how much we could get for him if we sold him?? At least 10 times the amount we paid for him

• Dagwoodz

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM

@outsidethebox

Obertan might do well in the middle if he bothers NOT trying to do everything on his own and holding onto the ball too long. It’s frustrating when he goes ahead and tries to constantly beat 2-3 players on his own.

• Dagwoodz

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:07 PM

@NUFC_LEAZES END

I would be gutted if, having only paid 100,000, we ONLY get 10x that. If he keeps up the form he’s shown to date, I can see us getting at least 20-40x what we paid initially.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM

rotonda

I’m not against playing campbell.

The ideal time to play a youngster is when they are in form and when your team is also in form…makes the transition easier.

We have been poor all year and had better options with ba and cisse so he struggled to get in.

Also he suffered an injury for a month or two.

I don’t mind him coming off the bench now but to make his first competitive appearance a start away to anzi in russia would be very harsh on the lad and it would be a big ask for him to even get into the game never mind have an impact.

And liverpool beat zenit 3-1 which wasn’t enough…they played anzi in the group stages.

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM

@dagzwood
    Naa mate, I thought we paid in between 500,000 – 750,000 for him, so I was meaning we could end up getting about 6 million from him at least

But like how I was saying he could turn out to be the bargain buy for us

• DokToon

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:13 PM

anyone out there can tell me if the stoke match has been moved to sunday?

• Transfer Sage

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM

dok

yeh it’s on sunday…so 3 days rest

• Mister Tuff

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:17 PM

outside @6 -I’m not Obertans’ biggest fan either -but your suggestion that he might challenge for high balls may not be correct. My assessment of this aspect of his play is that he does not like to put his head in where it might hurt. Whilst he looks the part and is fit and fast he rarely impresses with an end product – but if he plays and does something good his status may be elevated. Here’s hoping.

• DokToon

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM

thank you sir TS… i hope to god i will get the stoke match on my channels here in the states live..

• Dagwoodz

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Dok,

It’s going to be on Fox Soccer Plus at 2pm as a replay. Might be better off getting on a live feed on the net.

• Dagwoodz

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM

FSP is also showing the game today live…too bad most places, (well at least here in TX), don’t carry that channel. Not that it matters for me anyway as I’m at work. I’ll have to depend on live updates.

• DokToon

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM

dag, im in texas as well… and i have both fox soccer and soccer plus thru uverse… i pay up the @ss for them, but its better than my wife hearing me complain.. so she says…

• winnynufc

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Would like to see Gabby with a run out Marveaux, Anita, Perchinio etc, the more first team players (purples) rested the better. We need 3 points on Sun which for me is a much bigger game. If teams below us pick up a few points & we dont then we are again massivley starting to look over our shoulders. PL status is a must !!! HWTL.

• Dagwoodz

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I guess it’s just me having to deal with Suddenlink out here in San Angelo. They are less than ideal for many a things….

• DokToon

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM

dag,

im in houston, so we probably have a tech edge here…

• Troy Stavers

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I don’t think we’ve had a better side since SBRs team.

One or two more astute buys and we could really go places.

The squad is still lacking in depth to break the CL places next season but we should push for Europa again.

Unless I’ve been totally fooled by the new signings of course. They’ve started well so I’m basing it on that.

Am I right in believing they are playing the head height rule tonight which is compulsory when playing on an artificial surface. It’s on the Europa website.

• hotdog

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Does the Newcastle Home strip go on a Light or Dark wash? Any help would be appreciated 🙂

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM

@troystavers
    I dunno what I’ve read but that is a load of dogs bollocks mate, no offence

• cyprus

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM

@9,
    ‘Obertan trying to go past 2-3 players’??

You must mean a different player than the one I have in mind! I’ve never seen him actually dribble past one player. Not even once. If anyone has actual evidence (in an NUFC shirt) I would appreciate it.

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM

@24

I always put mine in light wash, with it having more white on it than black this season haa

• Rainrix

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Head height as in you cant play the ball above head height? No that’ll be 100% BS it isn’t 5 a side.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Hotdog..I am sure you won’t ruin it by washing it with all whites (what will happen to all the whires I don’t know lol)

…maybe handwash it the first time to get all the excess black colors out

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:57 PM

*whires = whites

• Rainrix

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Dammit jesper sort your spelling out man lest the grammar nazis come after you. I don’t have enough room in my attic to hide you as well 🙂

• cyprus

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM

If you wash with whites (even with whires), the worst case scanario is that all your whites will look like NUFC clothes, with black patches here and there.

• hotdog

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Thanks Guys -the missus was struggling!

On Astro footy, does that mean you can play it off the boards and nobody is allowed in the box haha

Ive really enjoyed watching Newcastle again over the last couple of months but i have a horrible feeling that Obertan & Williamson are going to re-appear (sobs sobs)

• cyprus

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM

How do you say: Anzhi Makhachkala

Or worse, how do you chant it at a game?

• DokToon

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM

hotdog,

to be safe, i tend to take mine to the drycleaners.. lol… its hard to find a NUFC shirt of quality here in the states…

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Rainrix…I am trying, but I can’t seem to hit the right keys with my big fingers 🙂

Cyprus…is that a bad thing? lol

• DokToon

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM

cyprus…

seems to be its boom chaka laka laka laka boom…. lol…

• Troy Stavers

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Thanks boys for clearing the head height rule up. 😀 😀 😀

Wow! I cast my rod out not expecting a bite but it was hook, line, Leazes & Rainrix 😀 😀

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Hotdog…old fashion household I see 😉

…have you convinced her to to the laundry? Could you have a talk with my better half?

• toonLYF