The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Side So Much Stronger Than Four Years Ago

1:51 pm, Thursday, March 7th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 85 Comments

Guus Hiddink was in charge of Chelsea four years ago, when he took over at Chelsea for the sacked Brazilian Luiz Felipe Scolari, and in early February 2009 Guus became Scolari’s replacement until the end of the  season, whilst continuing his duties as Russia’s National football manager.

Newcastle United's manager Shearer stands next to Chelsea manager Hiddink during their English Premier League soccer match in Newcastle, north east England

Shearer and Hiddink on April 4th, 2009 at St. James’ Park

It’s interesting to note that Scolari was appointed the Brazil manager again last November, and could be the manager for the very important World Cup next summer, but Brazil are still ranked at 18 in the FIFA rankings – the lowest ranking in their history. Scolari was Brazil’s manager when they won the World Cup in 2002 by beating Germany 2-0 in the final.

England are ranked at number 4 in the FIFA rankings, which seems too high given the team we have at the moment – and for US readers – the USA is ranked at number 32 under current manager Jurgen Klinsmann.

When Guus was managing Chelsea,  Newcastle were fighting relegation, and in Alan Shearer’s first match in charge of the team at St. James’ Park on April 4th of 2009,  we lost 2-0 in front of a sold-out St. James’ Park.

Hiddink thinks the team is dramatically changed from those days – when we had some highly paid stars on the team – and had the sixth highest wage bill of around £74M in the Premier league.

This is what the Anzhi manager told the press today:

“It’s dramatically changed – the Newcastle side – compared to my period at Chelsea and recently, they have made their side much stronger.” “They were not living up to their standards in the first half of the season.”

“They were fully aware of that and they made some very good signings, and it has shown in their results recently.” “That means they are powerful. It’s not just because we are playing them, but it’s really true and their results are proving that.”

“It’s a modern team, I like to see a team that’s a modern team.”

Guus seems to use that modern word a lot in describing Newcastle, and he’s been very complimentary about the Newcastle side this week.

We’ll see how well Newcastle do against his Russian side, with a draw or even a narrow defeat by one goal and we score – are probably all acceptable results that give us a chance of going through next Thursday night at St. James’ Park.

It would be fantastic if can reach the quarter-finals of the competition.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News · Premier League

85 responses so far ↓

• 1 Rotonda heights // Mar 7, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Did Owen and Rooney ever go out on loan at 18?

How do you ever get experience if you’re not given a chance?

Campbell has what we desperately lack: pace and composure.

Sage didn’t Livepool beat Anzi 3-1 at home but it wasn’t enough?

• 2 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Repost

Off topic but does anyone know how much we payed for Elliot???

• 3 Ginger // Mar 7, 2013 at 1:57 PM

@Nufc Leazes

I think £500k, can’t be sure though.

• 4 DokToon // Mar 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM

US at #32.. woohooo!! WC is on my side of the pond so ill get to see lots of matches…

oh, and go NUFC!!! id love to see a beatdown by the boys today, ive got it taping….

• 5 Dagwoodz // Mar 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I think Ginger is pretty close. Was less than a million quid. I think it was closer to 750, but I have nothing to back that up.

• 6 outsidethebox // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:01 PM

not obertans biggest fan but can see him tried up front as there are no other alternatives…no reserve striker ..so left between shola (first touch is last )on sythethic surface cambell too lightweight ..or obertan who would challenge for high balls and run all day chasing balls thru channels…expect shola to start but imo may be making of obertan

• 7 Dagwoodz // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM

according to this site, the fee was only 100,000. Quite a steal IMHO…

• 8 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Cheers lads , I was just thinking to myself, he could be the underdog bargain buy for us. I think he has the quality to be 3rd choice England keeper, nd if he ever got a lucky chance and got an appearance for England, imagine how much we could get for him if we sold him?? At least 10 times the amount we paid for him

• 9 Dagwoodz // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM

@outsidethebox

Obertan might do well in the middle if he bothers NOT trying to do everything on his own and holding onto the ball too long. It’s frustrating when he goes ahead and tries to constantly beat 2-3 players on his own.

• 10 Dagwoodz // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:07 PM

@NUFC_LEAZES END

I would be gutted if, having only paid 100,000, we ONLY get 10x that. If he keeps up the form he’s shown to date, I can see us getting at least 20-40x what we paid initially.

• 11 Transfer Sage // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM

rotonda

I’m not against playing campbell.

The ideal time to play a youngster is when they are in form and when your team is also in form…makes the transition easier.

We have been poor all year and had better options with ba and cisse so he struggled to get in.

Also he suffered an injury for a month or two.

I don’t mind him coming off the bench now but to make his first competitive appearance a start away to anzi in russia would be very harsh on the lad and it would be a big ask for him to even get into the game never mind have an impact.

And liverpool beat zenit 3-1 which wasn’t enough…they played anzi in the group stages.

• 12 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM

@dagzwood
    Naa mate, I thought we paid in between 500,000 – 750,000 for him, so I was meaning we could end up getting about 6 million from him at least

But like how I was saying he could turn out to be the bargain buy for us

• 13 DokToon // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:13 PM

anyone out there can tell me if the stoke match has been moved to sunday?

• 14 Transfer Sage // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM

dok

yeh it’s on sunday…so 3 days rest

• 15 Mister Tuff // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:17 PM

outside @6 -I’m not Obertans’ biggest fan either -but your suggestion that he might challenge for high balls may not be correct. My assessment of this aspect of his play is that he does not like to put his head in where it might hurt. Whilst he looks the part and is fit and fast he rarely impresses with an end product – but if he plays and does something good his status may be elevated. Here’s hoping.

• 16 DokToon // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM

thank you sir TS… i hope to god i will get the stoke match on my channels here in the states live..

• 17 Dagwoodz // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Dok,

It’s going to be on Fox Soccer Plus at 2pm as a replay. Might be better off getting on a live feed on the net.

• 18 Dagwoodz // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM

FSP is also showing the game today live…too bad most places, (well at least here in TX), don’t carry that channel. Not that it matters for me anyway as I’m at work. I’ll have to depend on live updates.

• 19 DokToon // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM

dag, im in texas as well… and i have both fox soccer and soccer plus thru uverse… i pay up the @ss for them, but its better than my wife hearing me complain.. so she says…

• 20 winnynufc // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Would like to see Gabby with a run out Marveaux, Anita, Perchinio etc, the more first team players (purples) rested the better. We need 3 points on Sun which for me is a much bigger game. If teams below us pick up a few points & we dont then we are again massivley starting to look over our shoulders. PL status is a must !!! HWTL.

• 21 Dagwoodz // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I guess it’s just me having to deal with Suddenlink out here in San Angelo. They are less than ideal for many a things….

• 22 DokToon // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM

dag,

im in houston, so we probably have a tech edge here…

• 23 Troy Stavers // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I don’t think we’ve had a better side since SBRs team.

One or two more astute buys and we could really go places.

The squad is still lacking in depth to break the CL places next season but we should push for Europa again.

Unless I’ve been totally fooled by the new signings of course. They’ve started well so I’m basing it on that.

Am I right in believing they are playing the head height rule tonight which is compulsory when playing on an artificial surface. It’s on the Europa website.

• 24 hotdog // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Does the Newcastle Home strip go on a Light or Dark wash? Any help would be appreciated :-)

• 25 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM

@troystavers
    I dunno what I’ve read but that is a load of dogs bollocks mate, no offence

• 26 cyprus // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM

@9,
    ‘Obertan trying to go past 2-3 players’??

You must mean a different player than the one I have in mind! I’ve never seen him actually dribble past one player. Not even once. If anyone has actual evidence (in an NUFC shirt) I would appreciate it.

• 27 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM

@24

I always put mine in light wash, with it having more white on it than black this season haa

• 28 Rainrix // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Head height as in you cant play the ball above head height? No that’ll be 100% BS it isn’t 5 a side.

• 29 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Hotdog..I am sure you won’t ruin it by washing it with all whites (what will happen to all the whires I don’t know lol)

…maybe handwash it the first time to get all the excess black colors out

• 30 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:57 PM

*whires = whites

• 31 Rainrix // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Dammit jesper sort your spelling out man lest the grammar nazis come after you. I don’t have enough room in my attic to hide you as well :)

• 32 cyprus // Mar 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM

If you wash with whites (even with whires), the worst case scanario is that all your whites will look like NUFC clothes, with black patches here and there.

• 33 hotdog // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Thanks Guys -the missus was struggling!

On Astro footy, does that mean you can play it off the boards and nobody is allowed in the box haha

Ive really enjoyed watching Newcastle again over the last couple of months but i have a horrible feeling that Obertan & Williamson are going to re-appear (sobs sobs)

• 34 cyprus // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM

How do you say: Anzhi Makhachkala

Or worse, how do you chant it at a game?

• 35 DokToon // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM

hotdog,

to be safe, i tend to take mine to the drycleaners.. lol… its hard to find a NUFC shirt of quality here in the states…

• 36 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Rainrix…I am trying, but I can’t seem to hit the right keys with my big fingers :)

Cyprus…is that a bad thing? lol

• 37 DokToon // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM

cyprus…

seems to be its boom chaka laka laka laka boom…. lol…

• 38 Troy Stavers // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Thanks boys for clearing the head height rule up. 😀 😀 😀

Wow! I cast my rod out not expecting a bite but it was hook, line, Leazes & Rainrix 😀 😀

• 39 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Hotdog…old fashion household I see 😉

…have you convinced her to to the laundry? Could you have a talk with my better half?

• 40 toonLYF // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:08 PM

cyprus…

it’s…An-zee or An-Jee Mah-kack-allah

• 41 Troy Stavers // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM

@Hotdog

They’ve got rid of the sidelines and they are using the advertising boards for rebounds!

Pards & Goose have to view the game through the mesh fencing.

Strange carry-on like.

• 42 Rainrix // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Troy… Given some of the ahem “special cases” we’ve had on here before you cant be too careful now can we. :)

• 43 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I think it’s An-jee Ma-khach-kala

Nothing fancy more or less the same way as it’s spelled :)

• 44 hotdog // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Jesper – Women are like a carpet… lay them right the first time and you can walk all over them.

Ill sit there and wait for the backlash shall I 😉

• 45 VanToonMan // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM

The last time I said what I am about to say again now….was a few days before we played Blackburn away on Monday night football last season and on that night he came on a sub burst through on a quick counter as Blackburn were going for it and slotted the ball in the back of the net.

….Gabriel Obertan CAN finish!….He cannot cross and is very indecisive and hesitant when it comes to crossing when he is on the wing. His strengths are that he is strong, has express pace and can finish. Soooooo – he should not be used on the wing. He should be used as a striker!!!

It does not matter that he doesn’t put his head in for headers…does Walcott do that? Did Bellamy used to do that? Pleaseeeee Pardew recognise that Obertanis best used as a forward and not a winger! His pace in behind centre-backs will be frightening and he can actually finish.

• 46 Troy Stavers // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Rainrix 😀

I think Leazes is still on the Uefa website double checking. 😀

• 47 Dagwoodz // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:17 PM

@Cyprus

That was my point behind that. He always TRIES to dribble past 2-3 players, but either gets the ball tangled in his feet, puts a bad touch on it, or just gives it away to the first player he tries to get past. Infuriating, really.

If he doesn’t try doing that and actually lays the ball off and uses the available support, (this would require him to lift his head up and use those two things in his head called eyes), his pace could prove to be troublesome to opponents. But who am I kidding. He’s not changed in almost 2 years here…not going to now.

• 48 Rainrix // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Troy…. Funnily enough if you google “head height rule europa” the 2nd result is your comment from the last article. I think you might be famous now bro 😉

• 49 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:22 PM

@troy

Am I blind or something?
    I can’t find it.
    Stupid sh***y website

• 50 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Haha wtf he is famous aswell hahahahahahahaha, all hail troy

• 51 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Hotdog…you just better make sure the missus doesn’t read that 😉 lol

• 52 Tinman // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Hotdog, turn it inside out (helps protect names, numbers, virgin logo etc). Then wash it with anything, just not anything which is bright and new. Like that red cardigan you had your eye on last time you were shopping… Haha.

——–Sissoko—–
    Marv—Cabs—Ober
    —-Anita—Tiote—-
    San–Mbi–Tay–Sim
    ———Elliot——–

• 53 Dagwoodz // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:25 PM

‘Tis a funny thing. We have celebrity in our midst.

• 54 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM

OH WHEN TROY STAVERS
    Oh when troy stavers
    BECOMES FAMOUS
    Becomes famous
    OH WHEN TROY STAVERS BECOMES FAMOUS……….

I have a boring life.

• 55 Dagwoodz // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM

30 minutes until line ups are released…as soon as that happens, I’m not going to bother coming on here. The negative postings is rather annoying. Same with post match.

Meh…who am I kidding. I’ll still be on here.

• 56 DokToon // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:32 PM

dags, i hear you, but i have it taping and the wife will leave me alone for 2 hours when i turn it on when i get home, win win.. and if toon coem thru, win win win!!

• 57 Rainrix // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Looks like its going to have to be a mad drive through rush hour traffic for me if i want to have any chance of getting back in time. 😐 5:00pm is such an awkward KO time :)

• 58 hotdog // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Saying as you lads sound very domesticated. Can somebody answer this one. How come when you do the dishes there is always a teaspoon in the bottom when you empty the water?

• 59 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM

@hotdog
    Because doing dishes is a woman’s job :)

• 60 Dagwoodz // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM

@NUFC_LEAZES END

that’s a comment I would have expected from hotdog…

• 61 Toon Tang // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM

“Coloccini, 31, landed awkwardly in the 4-2 defeat to Southampton last month.”

youve gotta love the bbc eh

• 62 Tinman // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Why do women have small feet?

So they can be closer to the sink…

• 63 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM

@tinman

One of my friends daughter has size 10 feet at the age of 11.

• 64 hotdog // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Tinman -Brilliant haha

Right im off home – She better have the housework done, my tea ready with a cold beer or there will be hell on.

I would take a 2-1 defeat right now. As long as we are still in the tie for the second leg HWTL enjoy fellas. I wont be on during the game but will be on to keep the neggars down afterwards :-)

• 65 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM

There is a lot of testosterone here today (probably good riddance since it apparently was ladies night here last night) lol

• 66 Dagwoodz // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I’m silently lauging right now because I can see Catchy and robin salivating over the prospect of Anzhi winning at a trot today so they can have a right solid go at Pardew…as usual.

Not that us doing anything but losing would discourage them from that either. I think if we won today 7-0, they would still bash Pardew and say the players are the one’s who performed, despite Pardew.

• 67 roshan MAGPIE // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:48 PM

no forwards

• 68 roshan MAGPIE // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:49 PM

6 minsLee Ryder?@lee_ryder#nufcElliot, Simpson, Anita, Yanga-Mbiwa, Perch, Haidara, Cabaye (c), Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Obertan

• 69 roshan MAGPIE // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:51 PM

56 secsLee Ryder?@lee_ryderBen Arfa will play furthest forward, Marveaux on the right, Obertan on the left. 4-2-3-1 formation#nufc

• 70 toonLYF // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM

woah is that definitely the team?

Perch at CB? No Striker?

Hatem as striker?
    Obertan as Striker?

So many questions!

• 71 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM

@68
    I’ve got to be kidding?
    That means Anita, haidara or perch are f***ing CB against Eto’o and Traore??
    God give me strength to watch the game if this is true

• 72 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:53 PM

U’ve*

• 73 toonLYF // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:54 PM

—————Elliot————–

Simpson-M’biwa-Perch-Haidara

———-Cabaye–Anita———

Marveaux—-Sissoko—-Obertan

————–Ben Arfa———–

• 74 roshan MAGPIE // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I thought they have a forward who is 6ft8 don’t fancy perch infront of him

• 75 Peter // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Risky defence but my god that’s a scary pacy strikeforce we have

• 76 Rainrix // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:56 PM

So Presumably.

Elliot

Simmo========Mbiwa=======Perch==========Haidara

==============Anita=======Cabs===============

======Marv=========Sissoko================Obertan==

===================HBA===========================

Brave

• 77 toonLYF // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:57 PM

HWTL!

I actually like the line-up. Adventurous, well done Pardew!

• 78 Peter // Mar 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I predict a 5-1 thrashing. Which team winsi haven’t decided yet

• 79 Dagwoodz // Mar 7, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I think if we went with a 4 1 3 2, it might benefit us today.

Really think Marv and Anita should get the call ups today.

Elliot
    Simmo Saylor Mbwia Haidara
    Tiote
    Santon Marv Cabs
    Sissoko
    Shola

Sub on Anita for Simmo, shift Santon back to RB
    Sub on Campbell for Shola, straight 1-1 swap to change the nature of the game.
    HBA for Marveaux, with the goal of overlapping with Socks.

This formation does not work if there is no movement off of the ball.

Of course, if Pardew wants to park the bus, he’s going to go with this:

Elliot
    Santon Tiote Saylor Mbwia Perch Haidara Simmo
    Cabeye
    Socks Shola

• 80 roshan MAGPIE // Mar 7, 2013 at 4:00 PM

lads I wanted to ask this question for all of you guys this is not related to the match
    who is better defender titus bramble or Williamson

• 81 Rainrix // Mar 7, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Presumably with colo being out for so long pards is conserving our CBs a bit more. Only reason saylor being on the bench i can think of.

• 82 roshan MAGPIE // Mar 7, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I think apart from zirkhov there defense must be slow

• 83 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 7, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Bit late, but hey.

Why don’t women ski?

Because there is no snow between the bedroom and the kitchen.

There, that’s the only contribution I would have made the past hour so nothing lost. Phew.

So, any news yet?

• 84 TheToonKing // Mar 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Whoa …..surprises by both side…..

Perch at CB, Arfa starts and is the lone striker….

Bousuffa not playing for Anzhi and Traore on the bench…this will be an interesting game. Both manager getting their tools out.

• 85 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2013 at 6:11 PM