The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – Fantastic Performance – Ben Arfa Still Not 100% Fit

10:10 pm, Thursday, March 7th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 100 Comments

Alan Pardew was interviewed on nufcTV immediately after the game tonight in Moscow, and before he boarded the plane back to Newcastle, and the manager seemed really upbeat by what he called a fantastic performance from the Newcastle side.

aslan pardew guus hiddink

Alan Pardew and Guus Hiddink before the match tonight

This is what a delighted Alan Pardew told Rob Scanlon after the game:

“Fantastic performance against a really good side – to get a draw and not concede a goal is fantastic.” “We played a technical side that was good with the ball,  and in the first half we really controlled the ball and gave them limited opportunities.”

“Second half they were a little bit sharper,  and we had to defend well,  and a couple of good saves from Rob (Elliot) which will do him no harm, but a really sound performance tonight, and we have to go to St. James’ Park and we’ve  got to win.”

“Ben Arfa is not 100% fit,  and I thought one area that he  might cause them problems on one of his runs, and he had a great moment just before he went off,  and I fancy if he was fit he would have scored that, but he’s getting there and obviously he’s an important player for us.”

“And I think he’ll play a part on Sunday for sure – if we need him – and hopefully we wont – but we have no injures tonight – it’s a great result – really a super result tonight, and we’re pleased with that – and now we have to do the job at St. James’.”

“But we’re going to need a lot of fans in there on Thursday, because they will make a difference to us,  and they are a really really good side and they have four or five top players.”

The manager makes a very good point at the end, because Newcastle will need a good turn-out from the fans to cheer the lads on next Thursday evening at St. James’ Park – and we’re sure the club will do their best to persuade the local fans to get to the game.

It was another excellent performance from Newcastle tonight, and the defense is starting to look very sound.

In the other Europa League games tonight,  Spurs walloped Inter-Milan 3-0 and Chelsea lost at Steaua Bucharest 1-0.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News

100 responses so far ↓

• 1 Graeme // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Good game, great result

• 2 hotdog // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Alan Pardew insisted his side still had plenty of work to do to reach the Europa League quarter-finals after their goalless draw at Anzhi Makhachkala.
    Hatem Ben Arfa wasted a superb chance to grab a priceless away goal in a dour first-leg tie at a freezing Luzhniki Stadium, but Pardew was delighted to keep a clean sheet.
    On next week’s return clash at St James’ Park, Pardew said: “I wouldn’t say we are favourites because they have got good counter-attacking abilities in the team, but it’s going to be a very different game at St James’ Park.
    “But we really need to set it up on Sunday against Stoke. Sunday is something we need to put right.
    “If we can get a win there, then I think the mood in our stadium is going to be something that’s going to be very difficult for Anzhi to cope with.
    “We didn’t really have to fight the crowd today, and that probably helped us to settle. We got what we deserved tonight. We came and gave a really disciplined display.
    “Rob Elliot had to make two good saves and really and truly, if someone had said that to me before the game I would have taken that. That’s a really good display in the conditions and environment we were in.”

• 3 jayphoto // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Benny looked very unfit, his feet werent as quick on the ball as usual, liked the idea of him central, it makes alot of sense just he never seems to play aswell centrally as out on the wing

• 4 manxpie // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:23 PM

transfer
    yeah it looked frozen aswell i thought in them climates it’d be heated but to be honest with obertans touches n flicks you wouldn’t know terrible game by him
    i’m usually not a player slater but he pissed me right of tonight what do you think of his chances of staying at this club?
    i think he should be sold and replaced by an out n out left winger and then bring in a younger winger

• 5 Mister Tuff // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Having no injuries tonight is a massive bonus. Also the knowledge that we all have now that Benny is not up to full fitness will surely stop us all demanding he play a full game at the weekend -he’s not up to it just yet. Whilst Sissoko did not have a fantastic game he certainly puts the miles in -chasing down etc.
    Spirits should be high for the Stoke game -I hope we thrash them and that Walters (overated) has a crap game.

• 6 Transfer Sage // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Manx

I think obertan has had enough chances to impress and failed a hell of a lot of times with only one or two good displays.

It’s not just his lack of quality but the fact he shows no fight and seems to not care about even keeping ot winning the ball.

I don’t mind Jonas, not good enough anymore but the guy gives his all so I can’t fault him, giving your best is all you can ask, up to the club to get better quality in. Whereas obertan just coasts through games doing the bare minimum and not even doing that well.

• 7 beefman13 // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Pardew, Hatem still isnt one hundred per cent fit but he did well, then goes on i hope he plays SOME part on sunday but i hope he wont have to, so that means no ben arfa in the team on sunday and jonas starting again, you see he dosnt ever fail to try and cover his back, he just boils my piss, spoilt my night with his nonsence.

• 8 Tsunki // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Well to be fair I thought both teams suffered from the effects of the playing surface and the weather. The ball seemed to drag when along the floor, but of course behaves as usual in the air. Therefore both teams seemed not to be able to get into a good passing stride before losing the ball to a badly judged pass. both sides seemed to have more opportunities and more fluid pay toward the end of the game, unusually, which I think backs up my theory that a 4g pitch, while good, is not the same as the day-in day-out grass that these lads play on. Plus it looked like one of those days you don’t want to get leathered by a ball full on the leg, or the face for that matter ha ha :)

I expect a completely different game at SJP. I think both teams will pass better and play will be sharper. Not necessarily good news for us, though.

• 9 beefman13 // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Maybe benny isnt 100 per cent but he should still in my opinion go straight in against Stoke.

I take it same starting 11 as v swansea/

im not saying it was a disaster v swansea but we NOW

• 10 Ben_BKK // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Mister T – I hate Walters, he’s a shocking player and seems a bit of a wanker too, I loved it a few weeks ago when he missed a pen and scored two own goals, I love a bit of schadenfreude 😀

• 11 manxpie // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM

yeah i agree jonas is a perfect squad player imo and also a pro footy player plus i think he can play a few positions which is good when he gets older i’d keep him but in the summer i think we need 2 wingers
    a good 1 and a younger 1
    and the same with strikers and we’d have a very very good squad
    btw i thought pardew played it absolutly right tonight with the subs too
    loved it when you could hear him say “GO ON VERN GO ON VERN” tickled me anyways lol

• 12 beefman13 // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM

From previous, we now have a World class player available for selection, get him on the pitch, if hes available he is fit enough.

We have waited long enough for bennys return and is he being rushed? i say no and he is twice the player of Mo guttierez at half speed AND A MATCH WINNER.

YET AGAIN OUR MANAGER HAS CHANGED MY POSTING DEMENOUR, HE JUST GETS ME MAD AS HELL.

• 13 bills-son // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Beefman you and the likes of Robin boil my piss (to use your words) with your nonsense about Pardew being useless.

What you ignore is that the players – who work with him almost every day – clearly respect him as many of them have said previously.

You and Robin are bigots of the first degree. And fkn clueless about management.

• 14 Transfer Sage // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Beefman

Id have Ben arfa in vs stoke if he is ok. He looked very leggy tonight and not his usual self.

Pitch didnt help him but he looked tired.

If he is ok start him, any genuine risk to him and keep him on the bench I think.

Jonas isn’t ideal but at least you know what you get, hard work defensively but no end product. Obertan and marv out wide are a total lottery with the odds against us

• 15 Transfer Sage // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Bills

Bit harsh to include Beefman with robin. Beefman may be a little more extreme in his views that you or me but I don’t think anyone can disagree Jonas is poor as a winger in the sense he can’t attack well at all.

I think the players do respect pardew but at the same time they would hardly say if they didnt. They’d never get a game and would be out the door.

• 16 Troy Stavers // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I worry when I hear Pardew saying he is ganna keep his beard as its been lucky tonight!!

For Sir Bobbys sake man! That’s the last thing I need to hear from a manager.

Why not pray to God whilst you’re on or touch wood!!

He has done fantastically tonight and spoilt it with that act. !

I am ganna wear my lucky undies now until next week but I’m not the manager!

I hope its not postponed. ! One week will be enough. If its postponed my Kegs are ganna crusty!!!

• 17 Troy Stavers // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Having said the above, I agree with Bills-Son

• 18 Toon Tang // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:57 PM

picture looks like its been taken with ghandis flip flop

• 19 Troy Stavers // Mar 7, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Anyway, must go and feed the goat. I’ve just looked oot the window and its chewing the next door neighbours car wing mirror!!

They gan crackers when I loosen the tether and its free to wander!

It ate their washing off the line last week!!! 😀

• 20 Transfer Sage // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Troy

Enjoy the match?

I think it was fantastic tonight. We stopped them with almost ease, only one or two shots at distance for through.

We had the best chance of the game but hatem couldn’t put it away.

Not our best display offensively but very good at the back bearing in mind we had a different back 4 to our usual from last few games.

• 21 manxpie // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:03 PM

transfer beefman has been that extreme when we’ve won so i agree with bills and to be honest we needed guti’s hold up play and calmness instead of ober’s 1 touch play as the away team
    i don’t think after tonights performance arfa deserves a place in the starting line up and thats totally taking in to account his fitness
    btw i can’t wait for him to be on full form with the rest of the team he will replace guti when he’s TOTALLY fit but he needs to be totally fit to play imo

• 22 bills-son // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Transfer – Pards has just got a draw at Anzi and Beefman lives up to his name by beefing on about some shIt decisions that Pards hasn’t even made yet.

A plonker of a ‘fan’ imo.

• 23 beefman13 // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Hold on there bills son, i agreed a lot of the time about your views concerning MA and the current regime and the way we are now being run, i wont just agree though about the manager beacuse MA appointed him, every week he backrtacks about something every week he contradicts himself, ie williamson plays we loose only last week then yesterday, williamson is looking really good in training and is there if needed, then Campbell is as good as anyone in training but he wont give him a sniff, letting us down tonight with his Ben Arfa statement were he isnt 100 per cent fit and he wont be starting on sunday and he hopes he dosnt have to play a part!! What???? a world class player who can frighten any defence against a player in gutteirez who has not one assist all season its bloody comical.

Look peter ramage was a grafter but just not good enough, we have better options than jonas.

I thought we did well tonight, ITS pardews COMMENTS AFTER THE GAME COVERING HIMSELF, i have said before its the players identified by Graham Carr that will hopefully get us out this mess not Pardews great managment style, it was perfect for Campbell to get 20 mins tonight but senority took hold again with Shola who was awful for 20 mins, to much of the old pals act with our manager, to much of the click, Benny is fit to be in the squad so fit to play,

And stop being so god almighty about things, beacuse if you think jonas should start then you know squat all Son.

• 24 Transfer Sage // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Bills

I agree with you that Beefman is over the top and it annoys me when people slate pardew for something he hasn’t even done and might not do. I just think robin is in a league of his open for crap posted here.

Manx

There’s no debate for me about obertan and guti. Guti every time, neither have consistent end product but guti works hard and he offers so much more defensively. I know not his main job but rather have that than the nothing obertan offers.

I think HBA and everyone looked worse cause of the pitch. But maybe this game was what Ben arfa needed to get his touch back and get into the swing of it.

It’s he’s for I’d start him against stoke but if he doesn’t I won’t be annoyed if he is on the bench as I understand why.

• 25 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Sage
    Tbf aimlessly slagging off the manager because of the way THEY interpret his statement puts them in the same league!

Beefman@ all your posts this page
    All that can be said is thank fcuk your not manager then, HBA looked miles off being match fit tonight, of course the pitch didn’t help that but then you want him to travel back from Russia, maybe squeeze in one days training and then start against one of the most physical teams in the league?
    Aye bills is the clueless one………..

• 26 beefman13 // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:23 PM

That to me says he is not starting

Oh and BILLS how many fans have called you a plonker over the last 3/4 years, your just a big a bully when the shoes on the other foot and things are going a bit more smoothly, ive heard you spouting on about i told you so this i told you so that, well we are very near relegation so you told me nothing?!? will we get out the mess yes probably but lets no be all lording it over, beacuse its been a frustrating season in so many ways and it need not have been, i have put the blame on the managers doorstep for most this season, it was him who said he was happy with our squad at the kick of of the season injuries or not, he is a billy bullshiter.

• 27 lesh // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Troy @ 15’s ganna wear his lucky undies now until next week? Lightweight – mines’s staying on til June (ne’er cast a clout til May’s out) and then they’ll be in the poss-tub, whither the need washin or not!
    Great result against a class side managed by a top top gaffer. Well done to Pards and the lads!

I

• 28 lesh // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:28 PM

:-:-D

• 29 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Lesh @26
    Well put mate huge result tonight
    Although according to beefman it’s got f all to do with pardew and us down purely to graham carr……..

• 30 manxpie // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:29 PM

transfer first of all robin is a mackem so beefman is different but i’m sure remembering him bein an ultra positive poster lol
    eitherway there both massivly wrong and pardew is a massive part of this club and i think next season we’ll see how good a team,manager and club we are!!
    on arfa i think he’ll make a much bigger impact coming on imo and the rest of the team have had a rest

• 31 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Sage
    How long was the contract we gave obertan when we signed him?

• 32 LewSpi v2.0 // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Stern performance from the lads tonight. Can’t wait for next thursday, taking my girl to her first match at SJP. Bring us a bit luck hopefully. HTL!

• 33 beefman13 // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:32 PM

tads, (less the lip del boy) or should i say rodney YOU PLONKER!!! why start Ben Arfa tonight if he is not 100 per cent, surely the workhorse jonas should have played?? or should i say carthorse? csnnot beat a player has put one cross in in three games, its pathetic beyond belief.

• 34 Deana // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Pardew gets a bit of stick now and again but he got it spot on tonight. Very good side were subdued to a couple of efforts.

I’m very pleased with a couple of things tonight….. Mbiwa for one was excellent. Hiadarah (sp the left back) was immense, he looks amazing and we paid buttons. We already know Sissoko is the dogs b. d. Simpson played well, very handy man to have around, keep him..

The only minor complaints, as we all already knew are…. Poor old Obertan is deinately not on the same wave length as the rest of the team, sorry but game over for him.
    Marveaux a little disapointing tonight but I do rate him highly. Hopefully just a one off for him.

Big night next thurs, I’ll look forward to seeing you all there.

Come on the Toon!!!!

• 35 Mister Tuff // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM

tads – Obertan has a contract up to June 2016 (unfortunately)

• 36 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Beefman(10%beef 90% horsesh1t)
    Not as pathetic as your constant pardew bashing for no reason!
    So your now saying that you wanted jonas to start up front tonight?
    Benny was the only option as an attacker tonight, he just about made it too the hour mark, has a long journey home will have one training session and you want him to start!
    He had a little run out, didn’t do much as he’s clearly not fit

• 37 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Mister tuff
    Oh dear was hoping my mate was right and he only had a 3 year contract, oh well, reckon he’ll be back off to France in the summer

• 38 Shot Bru // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Like quite a few other posters have suggested….i would also like to see Haidara start as our LB with Santon ahead of him.

Haidara looks as if he is going to develop into a magic player….hopefully Pardew gives him some games in the league this season in preparation for next season.

On a side note…UEFA need to sort their Sh*t out when it comes to Russia….having to pay $160 pounds for a visa to watch a game on an artificial pitch in a Russian winter is ridiculous! Visas should be waived for football fans going to russia.

• 39 Mister Tuff // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:51 PM

tads – I think Obertan should be away in the summer -the only possible/potential that he won’t might -stress might -be Percys’ pride -as he was responsible for the signing -Carr was not involved and has stressed this fact in an interview.
    A lot of lads on here had backed him -but I think most now think he has blown his remaining chances.

• 40 ToonDownSouth // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I’m happy that the players are just ignoring Pardew’s terrible management and going out and playing well by themselves.

And well done to Graham Carr for getting the lads to play so well tonight. He should be given a chance as Newcastle manager.

😐

• 41 Mister Tuff // Mar 7, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Toondownsouth -whilst I know your joking -Graham Carr doesn’t even watch Newcastle matches -he gets too nervous. If he’s at home in the garden he gets his missus to shout out the scores.

• 42 beefman13 // Mar 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Tads, i applauded last seasons efforts, punched massivly above our weight but we battled well.

Ypu take it season on season as di matteo found out.

In all my years of watching the toon i dont think any manager has got to me like Pardew this season, his continual pont and excuses his damming of the youngins and defence of the hapless seniors who have for the large part got us in this situation, our jan signings will pull him out the crap probably, not his managment tactics.

Any manager currently in the premiership could pull us away with the players we have brought in.Ian Holloway i would have one hundred per cent over pardew with these players we have.

I
    Am
    Honest enough to hold my hand up if im wrong, if we play well thats brilliant i will sat that, tonight we did play well no doubts, it is just him covering his tracks every single day that is so out of order, he cannot help himself.

Team v Stoke
    Elliot
    Debuchy
    Santon
    Mbiwa
    Saylor
    Tiote
    Cabaye
    Guttierez
    Shola
    Gouffran
    Sissoko

Its ok apart from you know who although he did have his best game of the season there last season.

We should beat the potters up. We may do who knows.

Ps no i would not have played honas tonight or any other night.

• 43 Louis583 // Mar 8, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Beefman13 I would love to know how you know so much about Ben Arfa and his fitness, do you train with him? are you his sports fitness coach? are you monitoring his progress like the many trained professionals that are undoubtedly under contract at Newcastle?

If any of the above are true then I do apologize…

• 44 Sav // Mar 8, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Lots of good performances tonight but its right to mention Danny Simpson as well who has come in for these odd Europa matches and not let the side down at all. I hope something can be resolved over his contract because he never lets the team down and if he’s content to play second fiddle to Debuchy, we won’t find better back-up at LB for the money.
    And if he goes in the summer, good luck, son.

• 45 lesh // Mar 8, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Cheers tads and who’s this, whatsisname again, beef sumptinorother? Could he be the mackem’s next manager in waiting?

• 46 lesh // Mar 8, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Naughty tads (beefman(10%beef 90% horsesh1t)

• 47 true toon // Mar 8, 2013 at 1:19 AM

After seeing how Spurs thrash Inter and how we played last night. We simply have no chance of winning this competition. Prediction for second leg. NUFC 1 2 Anzhi

• 48 cockneymagpie90 // Mar 8, 2013 at 1:34 AM

You have to say his defencive game plan is working out quite well but we still need to improve in the attack…

i have to say obertan is a pile of shit and the commentator was spot on about his attitude…

Imagine what santon could have done in the same postition, not lose the ball every time he got it thats for sure!

Santon would do a great job there, it would also be worth the risk as his price could rocket…

Needs to happen!

• 49 NUFC_LEAZES END // Mar 8, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Looks like we will be playing lazio if we to through like, tough tie, but do able.
    They’ve got some cracking players
    Zarate
    Klose
    Mauri
    Ciani
    Ledesma

• 50 true toon // Mar 8, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Obertan and Ameobi simply can’t make it. If they played second leg , we might as well give up and go home.

• 51 Jamiemac // Mar 8, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Leazes – how do you know it will be Lazio?

truetoon- nice optimism

• 52 ochytoon // Mar 8, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Really proud of the lads tonight. Relishing the prospect of a potential Lazio tie. Those big Italian European games are the ones I’ve missed.

• 53 beefman13 // Mar 8, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Tads, 100 per cent cockney!

• 54 beefman13 // Mar 8, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Truetoon, we gave spurs a real game without ben arfa, be very interesting v spurs with a fully loaded ben arfa!

No offence in my previous post i welcome supporters from other parts of the country.

• 55 obatoyou // Mar 8, 2013 at 3:00 AM

hahahahahahaha

Toon Tang

looks like its been taken with ghandi’s flip flop
    u crack me up

• 56 Mister Tuff // Mar 8, 2013 at 3:04 AM

The post stating we may be playing Lazio is rubbish. After the last 16 -the quarter final draw is a free/open draw and will take place on 15th March.

• 57 89Norcal // Mar 8, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Can I confess I was semi-supporting Samuel Eto’o. Though I’m a toon fan I was a Barca fan years before :)

But glad he didn’t score, because he had a couple of great chances.

• 58 cyprus // Mar 8, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Missed game, as I read it was very … exciting 😉
    Saw highlights, where were the fans?

• 59 AusMagpie // Mar 8, 2013 at 6:53 AM

I think Haidara has more than earned his chance to play a game in the EPL but Santon has definitely not lost his place in the starting 11 for me. I would love to see this team on Saturday:

—————– Elliot ——————-
    Debuchy – Saylor – M’biwa – Haidara
    ——— Tiote ——— Cabaye ——–
    Ben Arfa —– Sissoko —– Santon —
    —————- Gouffran —————

Very solid back 4 protected by Tiote, who has been inform as of late and an extremely fast tempo attack controlled by the world class Cabaye. Would absolutely tear Stoke apart.

• 60 Transfer Sage // Mar 8, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Aus mag

A solid looking team really, can’t see it though myself.

I think it will the same as the last league game but with mbiwa in for colo. I think from the sounds of it cisse will have recovered in time to play a part in the game and probably from the start.

I think haidara deserves a game but can’t see him getting one. Against stoke there should be a lower need to defend than compared to a top club so santon won’t really get caught out with his forward runs.

I’d like to think santon will learn to time his runs better like debuchy does and know when and when not to attack. Nothing against the lad as he is only young.

On a related topic, has anyone seen santon play for italy? is he as cavalier as he is for us or more disciplined as the italian team usually are.

• 61 bills-son // Mar 8, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Got to say Perch was magnificent last night.

Withiut a doubt CB is his best position especially if he isnt facing an aerial threat. His tackling and interceptions broke up so many of Anzi’s attacks and one thing he never gets much credit for is his passing. He hardly ever gives the ball away and if you havent noticed the quality of his passing keep an eye on Perchy next time he plays.

Last night was one of the most organised, disciplined and professional performances I”ve seen from the Toon in a long while. We looked a proper team and those still criticising Pardew as being clueless are clueless themselves. Catchy and co eat ya drivel out.

• 62 iggystinger // Mar 8, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Great result for us last night with a good performance lets March into the Quarter Finals now on the TOON

• 63 Transfer Sage // Mar 8, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Bills

It was a good game, very organised and the team worked the plan perfectly….and to top it off hba should have really scored to give us a 1-0 lead to bring home…perfect away game plan almost executed to perfection.

On perchy…always happy with him CB, he even stopped the 6’8 traore winning much in the air, if perch never won it he put him off enough to not get good contact without fouling him. I have always liked perch at CB since the hom game against liverpool last season where he kept suarez quiet and crunched him too.

• 64 Transfer Sage // Mar 8, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Bills

Not sure Pardew as proved himself 100% yet but what he has shown is that with the right players and a solid squad he can get them playing well. I think he didn’t get the best out of what was available early season, we shouldn’t have lost that many games even with the team we had out but it wasn’t as bad as some made out.

I think the only thing seperating us from spurs now is lennon and bale….we don’t have pace and drive from the wings to get in behind and press the opposition back.

If we improve that and get another option up front to cover or work with cisse we could be a real force next year.

• 65 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 8, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Perchy

My man of the match tackling and passing superb – read the game well.
    AND to me linked up with Mbiwa could be a centre back pairing for the future.

• 66 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 8, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Morning all,

I have always preferred Perch as a CDM, but he really impressed last night, so fair play.

Bills….”Catchy and co eat ya drivel out.” Good luck with that one :)

TS & Bills…What Pardew has shown, again, is that whilst he’s not perfect he is far from a tactical moron, it’s just that he does things that others on here disagree with. The man is shown a complete lack of respect on here at times, but you do wonder what the very same people would actually say in person, it is a blog after all and far easier to flex your muscles so to speak.

Basically, I think Pardew did a really good job last night.

• 67 Transfer Sage // Mar 8, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Ibiza

Exactly…..and if ben arfa had taken his chance, which he should have really, then we would be leaving as 1-0 winners and would be one foot in the final.

Never happened but 0-0 is still good.

The commentators said anzi are much better home than away so that could mean we are in a good position to go through.

• 68 Pushy Pardew // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Well said Ibiza.
    bills
    Perch replaced Colocciini against Spurs in our first game and did well.
    Beefman
    Do you have a sports science degree? Your knowledge of players and in particular Hatem’s fitness level suggests you do!

• 69 Transfer Sage // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:07 AM

pushy

Anyone could have a degree and it wouldn’t be relevant.

The only people who know his fitness are the doctors and trainers who work with him. They will have the close view of him plus all of the data they have these days such as distance covered, sprint time etc etc.

None of us know for sure viewing from the outside but we can make an educated guess looking at how pardew brings players back usually, what level of fitness are they normally when they return.

From what I have seen from what pardew does he usually brings players back only when ready (ben arfa at fulham the exception). Look at cabaye, came back from injury and played every game since near enough, same for steven taylor, same for colo, so i’d presume going of that ben arfa will be fit enough for the game against stoke.

• 70 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:08 AM

TS…Couldn’t help but feel he should have buried that shot wor Benny. But I can forgive him that if he scores a hattrick in the home game 😉

Morning Pushy.

• 71 Transfer Sage // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:12 AM

ibiza

it was almost like the pirlo penalty against england. He dinks it down the middle and if the keeper goes to ground we all applaud saying fantastic goal, if the keeper saves it we all scream why didn’t you just put your laces through it haha.

• 72 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:15 AM

TS…Seeing as he’s been out and it was pretty much our only shot not too bad and as you say “If” the keeper had gone for the low block maybe just maybe.

Wait a second, no. Benny out! He cost us an away goal! Pardew should never have played him so he can go too! Everyone out! RRUHFYUGKLAQ!

• 73 Spotlight Kid // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Why do a select group of posters here demand HBA play when he is clearly some way off match fitness? The only reason he didn’t get injured last night is the pitch, no defender wanted to risk losing a kneecap on that surface by putting in a crunching tackle. Come the weekend that will change, and if the usual suicide supporters on here get their way he will be out for the rest of the season. Apart from the physical side, the lad would have buried that chance when fit and confident; now he has that seed of doubt when in front of goal will he pass the ball instead? Benny didn’t need to play, but hey we’re talking Pardewism here where logic doesn’t always (ever?) stack up.

• 74 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Spotlight…I’m going to take a minute to enjoy two parts of that post.

1) Suicide supporters.
    2) Pardewism.

Nice.

Moving on, I thought starting Benny wasn’t the best call before KO, but a run out probably did him some good and as you say, no damage done.

Can’t really fault Pardew much for last night, did anyone expect to put them to the sword away from home? Hardly.

• 75 Transfer Sage // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM

spotlight kid

Pardew wouldn’t risk him again if he wasn’t capable of playing. You have to bring players back at some point and they will usually be rusty to start with so not too much of a risk.

I trust the club to manage him well. If he plays then great, the game time will do him good. If he doesn’t play then fair enough, he obviously is still a bit tight/sore from last nights game.

• 76 TorqToon // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Morning gents. The morning after the night before and we player everything tactically perfect last night. Perch was immense. Benny showed glimpses of his return and was nice to see him on the park. Highlight for me was Yanga. He is coming into his own and is going to be a hell of a player for this side! With colo out for a while, Yanga is more than capable of stepping in and, dare I say, upgrading our defence from colo? Cabs is a fantastic skipper and will be for many years to come.

I’m still baffled how some people can moan and b1tch about the result, against a side who have spent £300mil in 24months and made us play or a plastic pitch!!

NUFCursed HAS to be one of the biggest jokers on this blog, yet he was surprisingly nowhere to be seen during the after match comments!

Some people on here are clearly makems and need to get a social life!

Good day to you all, gents! :-)

• 77 Owldman // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Playing matches is the only way to get fit & sharp Benny is bound to struggle for a couple of games , he has after all been out for a good spell he may not even get back to top form before the end of the season.If he hasn’t suffered any side effects I would probably think Pards wil play him for only half a game against Stoke , allso concerned that we haven’t got Collo, this leaves us with only Williamson as CMD to fall back on, I know some of the regular bloggers will
    say that we have Perch , in an emergency yes, but as a regular no,

• 78 Harley // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Morning.

I read this further back and not sure if anyone replied yet or not. I’ve just checked and it seems obertan is on a 5 year contract.

I’m sick to death of seeing him pulling on a toon shirt. I think we did amazing last night considering we were carrying 2 players (marveaux being the other one) and had no striker.

These 2 have to go in the summer. Obertan especially as he has had so many chances now. I’d be happy to replace both of them with 1 quality winger.

• 79 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Torq…Good day to you good sir. I hope this fine Friday brings you nothing but good things.

Now p*ss off and go find our new players :)

• 80 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Benny
    I would bring him on for the last twenty minutes against Stoke. Looked like he was treading water at times last night.
    conspirously theory
    I wonder if it was more than just a hamstring injury he has had

• 81 Transfer Sage // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:30 AM

harley

I’d like to see obertan gone too.

I have always given him a chance, thinking he needs time to settle and kick on.

But for me the lack of effort and care with the ball and lack of desire to win it back 90% disgusted me last night and it wasn’t the first time.

I’ve had enough and with us having 14 of 17 players of our non UK quota then I think he needs to be one of the first to go and be upgraded.

• 82 TorqToon // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Ibiza – you truly have a ‘magical’ way with words my friend!!

Finishing school sure paid off!! 😉

Well I’ve finished my stint at St. Etienne now and have the grand total of ONE day off before I start back up with Valenciennes. Will be at their game on Saturday evening against Lille and will be there for a fortnight to go over everything.

Give me your orders lads and I will flash the keyring and then the chloroform! :-)

• 83 Marzy // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Quality solid performance last night!, thought Perch deserves the MOM performance, followed closely by Yanga & Haidara? The back four was solid including Simmo/ Elliot.
    Team against Stoke shouldn’t be much different! I would play
    Elliot, Debuchy, Taylor, Yanga, Haidara
    Gutti, Tiote, Cabaye, Sissoko, Santon
    Gouffran/Cisse.
    I would love to see Santon in Midfield either on the left or right, but it will give us that drive on the wings with him there as we lack drive these days. Can’t wait for Sunday & Thurs now.

• 84 obatoyou // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:34 AM

GUAranteeD we will be paired with Tottenham or Chelsea, bet you 12 bucks~

• 85 Transfer Sage // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:34 AM

charlie

No idea, could have just been a very serious tare to his hamstring.

I’d like to say that all players on both sides looked leggy/tired last night. Sure the pitch made it harder to run/turn and also the ball didn’t run true and lacked and zip on the pitch.

• 86 TorqToon // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Marzy – Same here mate! Would love to see santon further up the park in place of maybe jonas. We need to pressure stoke and run at them, and with guti being more defensively minded he could be brought on when we are 4-0 with 15 to go! 😉

Think it was always the plan to move him onto a wing anyway. Will Cisse’s bug, I would stick gouffran up top! His pace will terrify the opposition!

• 87 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Torq…What can I say, you either have it or you don’t.

Day off? Enjoy it mate.

So, what’s everyone’s thoughts on Marv? For me he is a player with great skill, who can do some amazing stuff, but 9 times out of 10 does zilch during a game, almost seems not interested.

Not a comparison game, as Obertan wasn’t any better, but tbh, I think many have already written squiddy off, so what about Marv?

• 88 Transfer Sage // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:40 AM

ibiza

I can’t think of a single good game where marv has played out wide, he looks lost and is not involved anywhere near enough.

Play him centrally and you get a good game in ever 2/3 games which is much better but still not enough to command a starting spot. Happy for him to be in the squad but not to be used out wide as games pass him by.

• 89 TorqToon // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Ibiza – I gotta agree with you. Marv has so much potential, but only shows glimpses during a match rather than a prolonged and convincing showing.

When he is on his game, no oft can get near him and he can be very similar to benny, unfortunately he isn’t consistently ‘on his game’.

• 90 TorqToon // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:41 AM

TS – Yeah centrally is where he is best, but he’s not going to get in ahead of our starting XI just yet.

• 91 ballerfan2 // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:46 AM

To those criticising Pardew for his possible team selection on Sunday (Ben Arfa) and becoming exasperated (I’m being polite) by the manager’s comments – perhaps Pardew is more concerned about player management, keeping them happy and motivated, than trying to keep these fans happy. He will certainly be aware that no matter what he says or does he is going to upset the same people who have made their mind up about him a long time ago and are not going to change their mind no matter what. Even after last night when his tactics were perfect, there are those who were ready waiting for the first opportunity to have a go at him. His suggestions about the POSSIBLE make up of Sunday’s team, the same as you might hear from any football manager in our situation, has enraged these permanently angry people. No – Pardew trying to mollify these fans would be a pointless excercise.

• 92 Marzy // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:47 AM

TorqToon completely agree but sadly would still play Guti on either side until Ben Arfa’s back to full fitness at least! let’s face it Guti is better then Obertan/Marveux as he offers more in the way of a defensive cover and is as effective going forward!
    One thing I have not heard many people talk about is little Campbell? I for one would of liked to see an appearance from him last night instead of Shola? I think Pardew has to start giving him 5 mins or more here on there! As that enthusiasm & youthfulness will intimidate defences.

• 93 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Torq/Transfer…That’s exactly it. Not a bad player but has done next to nothing to warrant a starting spot imo. Now bring on the “what has Jonas done to deserve a starting spot then?” :)

Ballerfan…Amen brother.

• 94 check the toastie // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I have called for both Marv and Obertan to be put in the team instead of Jonas, i would like to apologise as both have had opportunites lately to really put forwrad their case, they havent and 100% commitment isnt really guarenteed, what happened to the Marv that was great against Arsenal, mind you Anzi are a good side and personally would play the same side at home to see how they do.

Really disappointed with Ben10’s conditioning, he looks way to big, whats going on there, Benny needs to cut the baguettes out the next time he picks up an injury. Should have been on a strict diet whilst being unable to train, really dont get the ballooning of weight whilst players are out, Saylor is another who lets himself down.

• 95 check the toastie // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:55 AM

And i would also like to say, any posters who doubt Perch now, have not been watching him for the last 12 months, the lad has done great and is more than capable of standing in for Collo, especially as he will have either Saylor or Yanga(brilliant) next to him.

Last night was a super defensive display, however the full backs though solid were a major reason we created nothing, told or both prefer to stay goalside of the ball, any decent side push there full backs on and thats why Santon and Debuchy are a major improvement if we want to create and score goals.

• 96 Transfer Sage // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:55 AM

ibiza

I think jonas has been shocking this year, terrible in his main job which is to create and get a few goals he has failed.

However obertan and marv haven’t really done much more.

I’d rather have jonas to defend and fail attacking than those two to fail attacking and not defend.

• 97 Transfer Sage // Mar 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM

check

I think haidara did well, got forward a bit more than simmo and had the chance to put in a couple of crosses, they didn’t come off though.

I think they stayed back more to be cautious, we clearly wanted the clean sheet and a goal for us was a bonus, at home i expect us to pressure them a lot more.

• 98 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 8, 2013 at 9:00 AM

TS…For me with Jonas it’s all about not expecting him to suddenly start beating his man again, it’s just not going to happen anymore really. He does provide a steady defensive presence which has been needed for large parts of the season…sadly.

I hope as the team progresses this is needed less and less and based on last nights defensive display perhaps we aren’t too far away from that.

Check…Can’t say I disagree with any of that. It was always going to be a focus on a defensive display and they did that job wonderfully.

• 99 Harley // Mar 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Transfer

We were watching in the pub and about 10 seconds after we said it the commentator said exactly the same. It’s bad enough that he loses the ball with almost every touch but the fact he’s not bothered and doesn’t try and win it back is totally unacceptable.

I’m pretty sure pardew knows it too but he doesn’t have any other options right now.

• 100 pethmag // Mar 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Benny didnt look up to pace at all but still think he should of scored and got us that away goal . Obertan is probably one of the worst players iv ever seen. He contrabutes nothing in games at all . Haidara looks much more comfortable at lefback . Probably doesnt get forward as much as santon but defends better . Dont know why pardew doesnt play haidara left back and put santon in front of him as the winger . Santon started his career as a forward at inter before mourinhno converted him to a full back . Anyways a good result last nite and a victory over stoke on sunday would set us up niceley.

previous post: Anzhi Makhachkala 0 Newcastle 0 – Video Highlights