Pardew – We’re In Good Position To Reach Quarter Finals

On an absolutely freezing night in Moscow Newcastle were sound and resilient and kept players like Eto’o at bay to record a very good result of 0-0, and that was the first time in eight home matches in the Europa league that Anzhi have not won.

ben arfa anzhi 98

Ben Arfa in action last night in Moscow

After the game Alan Pardew has this to say to the Newcastle Journal:

“With our crowd behind us we are in a good position. Our crowd can make players do strange things.” “But we’re pleased with a professional job. They are a good side.”

“It was on a difficult pitch that we aren’t used to.” “That’s about as good as we could have played on that. They were right at it.” “And they have some fantastic players but we were so sound defensively.”

“Rob had to make a couple of saves. Mapou was magnificent too. It all bodes well for next Thursday. If you are going to go through we need to win – now all we need to do is win any way we can.”

“Rob made one outstanding save down to his right-hand side.” “But we had a massive chance with Hatem. It was just before he went off, normally I would fancy him to take that.”

Rob Elliot again made a couple of top class saves from Eto’o to preserve the clean sheet and we were surprised how well James Perch played in central defense alongside the very impressive Yanga-Mbiwa – what a player this lad is going to be for Newcastle in the future.

And although Ben Arfa missed Newcastle best chance to win the game after 64 minutes, he looked good and will only get better with more games, and he’s expected to play some part on Sunday against Stoke City.

And the good news is that Alan Pardew said they has no injuries after the game, and that was always a concern because of the plastic p[itch.

Newcastle got the job done last night – and now we need to beat Stoke City at home on Sunday after our defeat at Swansea last weekend, which leave sus 5th bottom of the Premier League.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Carryingcoals

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Good morning gents,

A good friend of mine went to the game and consequently can’t afford to go to Wigan away now. Whole thing cost him close to a grand, if I find that anything is given by the club I’ll send Ed an email as it’s interesting to see if anyone at the club act on Pardew’s words. Of course they could put it on the official website, would be a great PR stunt…

And yes sage we certainly did what we set out to do, shame about the Benny miss. I can see a heartbreaking 1-1 next week though as we simply don’t score enough.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Have to say I was amazed by Perch last night. He and M’Biwa were just fantastic.

I think we just have to find a place for Haidara now. He’s not for the future. He’s for now and works so well with M’Biwa. Having 2 quick players at the back makes all the difference. Santon can easily play further forward

Marv has shown brilliance in cameos, ie the goal he set up for Ba against Arsenal was sensational, but he seems unable to take the initiative in games and just flits in and out so I expect him to be in the out-tray in the summer.

I thought Obi almost tried too hard to impress and that’s been his downfall. A total confidence player

• Transfer Sage

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Rotonda

I think obertan didn’t try at all…let men run off him too often, was very careless with the ball, didn’t look bothered when he lost it.

A confidence player? maybe but the guy hasn’t had confidence for nearly 2 years with us now, can’t see him getting it. I think he is just a poor player.

A player very good in youth football, dominated those of his year group but when put up against experienced pros really struggles to impose himself and has no idea what to do.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:20 AM

As I understand Pardew works 4 days out of 5 on defensive coaching and how not to lose matches. It doesn’t leave much time for working out how we are going to score.

Last night was superb defensively which is not something usually associated with NUFC but I think Pardew needs to bring in a continental technical assistant to work on attacking.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM

rotonda

I have been banging that drum for months now. The same way man utd played some good stuff when carlos quiroz was brought in to work with fergie,

Managers get experience two ways, working in different environments or working with different staff. If you want a long term manager you need to refresh the coaching staff periodically, whether its a new assistant or just a new coach to help work in training with the first team.

Pardew hasn’t managed abroad so won’t have much experience with technical/continental style coaching, a good coach from europe could help pards develop his own style and thus improve the team.

• Rainrix

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I think its all to do with the full backs. Think about it santon and debuch are much more attacking and against swansea we looked better in attack than in defence. Whereas haidara and simmo are more defensive minded and thus we defended better. I think the trick is teaching santon and debuchy to time there forward runs better. Its one thing haidara seems to have down to a t.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Sage

It’s sad isn’t it. You’d think he’s got it all, pace skill etc, but I get as mad as anyone when he keeps losing the ball. I guess you’re right you can’t keep saying potential for ever, although Shola has for 13 years !!!

Having said that Jonas although having a good work rate passes the ball more to the opposition than any player I’ve ever seen.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM

rotonda

Yeh, with obertan he never cut it at an utd. And thats easier than newcastle to look good at. When the opposition are marking nani, rooney, hernandez, etc etc then obertan will have been low priority so should have had a chance to show it, he couldn’t even with the support of good players so I cant see the lad ever doing it for us.

I think he has had enough chances now and never done enough to stake a claim. For all jonas’s decline obertan still can’t get past him in the line up (and fairly so i think, he hasn’t shown to be a better player over a 90 min game)

Rainrix

I think debuchy times his runs forward really well, santon is too attacking (i know people say the DM should cover) but he needs to learn when to stay back a bit better.

Has anyone seen him play for italy? is he as attacking for them? or does he sit a bit more?

• roshan MAGPIE

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:32 AM

lads I have never seen haidara play so I would like ask you all this who has more pace haidara or santon