The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Stoke City Game Now Massive For Newcastle

9:49 am, Saturday, March 9th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 22 Comments

The game tomorrow against Stoke City is a massive game for at east a couple of reasons – one is that we are still not safe from relegation and we need the 3 points to move away from the relegation zone, and the second is that a win will set the mood and help to get a big crowd at St. James’ Park for the our second leg of the Europa League tie against Anzhi Makhachkala on Thursday night.

james perch anzi willian

James Perch with Willian in close attendance on Thursday

I may be  the only one,  but I was very surprised to see James Perch line up alongside Yanga-Mbiwa on Thursday night in Moscow, and yet James had an excellent game against some world-class forwards – so saying he did really well is an understatement.

But it’s important for Newcastle to win tomorrow, and yes – it’s about playing well – but we also have to ensure the win, because we played very well at Swansea,  especially in that second half, and yet we came away at the end of the game with nothing.

Here’s what James Perch said today:

““If we can beat Stoke on Sunday then that will be an ideal preparation to face Anzhi again.” “We need a massive result against Stoke to go into the second leg and a win would make our league position look a lot more secure.”

“It was brilliant to get a clean sheet against Anzhi, bearing in mind they have some attacking players who are world-class.” “We fought really well for everything and we handled pretty much everything they could throw at us. Now we are ready for Stoke.”

We expect Steven Taylor and Yanga-Mbiwa to start the game on Sunday, but at worst James will be on the bench, and after his display on Thursday night, he is likely to get some playing time in the second half.

And James is a great example of a player who has an excellent attitude and trains hard every day, and even though his ability is limited, he’s made himself  a valuable Newcastle player over these last two years.

Great credit goes to the man for that.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · James Perch · Newcastle News · Premier League

22 responses so far ↓

• 1 weztoon // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM

• 2 magpie6699 // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Yeah – wasn’t Pardew stupid for playing James Perch instead of Taylor. Useless manager – sack him. (Irony)

• 3 DarloGeordie // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Having vaginal discharge splattered on his chubby cheeks from pardews wife is too good for Ashley – did I beat you jail and is that a wee bit graphic for our wee club in the north….

Morning

• 4 DarloGeordie // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Wasters

• 5 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Ed, with all due respect isn’t every game now massive for us?

• 6 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Good morning toon fans.

Darlo…What a lovely image.

• 7 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Ah, good morning Jesper. How is one this fine day?

• 8 WWYCD // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM

jesper
    I think Ed is referring to the size of Stokes team they are massive

• 9 Tiote4PM // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM

“even though his ability is limited”

I question this statement.

He is no less technical than tiote, Taylor, Gutierrez. Actually he has come on leaps and bounds and I would say is strong in the tackle, yes, but cultured with the ball at his feet.

He was exposed against Norwich last season along with Simpson at CB. Heading was very poor. I could not fault his heading on Thursday. Up early and won everything.

People need to recognise 2 things; 1 – a committed and improving player 2 – that having 11 Ben Arfas, cabbages, cisses is going to win you nowt.

We need the Perch’s of this world.

• 10 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Yo… Aye, bunch of mutants.

Am I right in thinking Shawcross is out for the game?

• 11 WWYCD // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Ibiza
    Haha darn tootin dem big un are gonna be in for a Cisse thunder***tard of a game….hopefully

Huth is out but I know nothing of Shawcross would be great if he is out too

• 12 weztoon // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM

My team for Sunday:
    elliot
    debuchy saylor mbiwa haidara
    cabaye tiote santon
    sissoko gouffran
    cisse

• 13 WWYCD // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Tiote4PM
    I respectfully disagree

• 14 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Yo…Maybe it was Huth then…not going to sit here and say my memory is the best.

I’m fairly relaxed about this game, I think we’ll get a result. A fair few players didn’t play on Thursday and will be raring to go. 3-0 to the toon is my call.

• 15 Tiote4PM // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Wwycd – cool

• 16 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Tiote…I like Perch and having him around the squad is great. Don’t think he is as technical as the players you mentioned but he does seem less prone these days to make a costly mistake. I’m confident in his play these days which is great. Come on so well.

• 17 hatemorloveit // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM

In my opinon perch is better player than tiote

• 18 WWYCD // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Ibiza
    Huth is suspended for a elbow on someone if thats what u were thinking. As for the result I hope ur right

Tiote4PM
    Haha shorted disagreement on here and very civil

• 19 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Yo…Yeah, that must have been it. Not that it matters, I reckon we have too much for Stoke anyway.

• 20 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Ibiza…I didn’t sleep last night – It is not true when they say you can sleep when you get old ;-) lol

Yo…most be what he meant!

• 21 Owldman // Mar 9, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I like Perch very much! but his failure to jump for Bales free kick could well have cost us a couple of points, he was actually standing on his toes when the ball passed about 6 inches over his head, but he his a great member of the squad & versatile even fancy him playing up front if he was needed

• 22 Mark the Mag // Mar 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Can remember that Bale free kick took ages to take and I remember commentator saying Sissoko told everyone to not jump before it give Perch a hair cut. He was injured just before bale scores the second and couldn’t catch him for that reason, he then got subbed coz of injury. He seems a real charachter and definitely a fans favourite for those crunching tackles. Should start before Tiote on current form.

previous post: Perch And Yanga-Mbiwa Had Difficulty Communicating In Moscow